Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
Cykel OP
I'm Adventurer?

Oddometer: 286
Dano's Ride - To Rest on Angel's Landing

Let’s play tigers.

It’s a pitch I heard often as a child, and just as often declined. I was pretty shy as a young one, so acting like a large ferocious cat in front of other people was absolutely out of the question. I even shied away from pictures; I ran away and hid behind enormous stuffed animals. If you were lucky you’d get a shot of me (along with my cousin) peering out from behind a big white fluffy bear.

These days I'm more willing to share thoughts, photos, feelings, and ridiculous behavior with other people. This ride report is a tribute to the man who requested tiger games so many years ago; it is a catalogue of the trip on which we lay him to rest in some of the places he most loved to be.

A short bit about Dan (Dano), my uncle - my father's brother, before we move on to the ride:
This is the part of the post I struggle with. How much information is appropriate to share? In his health, Dano was many things. I will forego telling his life story here, but I will say that he was a very active man and an adventurous spirit. He would have loved this community and would have given any of you inmates a run for your money regarding the amount of pannier stickers accumulated. In fact, he had hopes of learning to ride and traveling the world by motorcycle when he recovered.

Recovered from what? Well, Dano had a long and brave battle with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), also known as Lou Gehrig's Disease. If you want more information, here is a link to a blog post from one of his friends: http://www.phoenixrealestateguy.com/...end-dan-keitz/

While he ended up losing the fight, we were still able to give him a ride. So without further ado...

The plan outline goes:
Day 1 – Leave mid-day from Austin to get a jump start out of Texas. Target: Sweetwater
Day 2 – Haul into Santa Fe, NM and find a campsite
Day 3 – Santa Fe to Ouray, CO
Day 4 – Ouray, CO to Moab, UT
Day 5 – Start from Moab toward Zion through the middle of the state. Get as far as we can.
Day 6 – If we’re in Zion, we hang out. Otherwise, get to Zion.
Day 7 – Hang in Zion, or maybe head to Grand Canyon
Day 8 – Start the trek home…target: Albuquerque, NM
Day 9 – Sweetwater, TX
Day 10 – Roll into Austin

The bikes:
Me on my newish Super Tenere. It’s past time to put some good miles on it.

My father on a rented R1200RT, which seems like a really solid bike.

More to come...
Cykel is offline   Reply With Quote