User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 06:55 AM   #1
Jerrysc1 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Great dirt in Arkansas

There are some great dirt roads in Arkansas and some that you don't want to travel solo - if you had a problem no one would find you for weeks. On our last ride a mountail lion ran down the trail in front of me, saw many deer and what looked like bear tracks, there are a lot of black bears up there. Anyway if anyone is interested in a gps track let me know, it doesn't look like I can attach one and this is the first post for me.

The trip's home base is the Hub http://hubinfo.com/ at Marble Falls, Ar. it is on highway 7 close to what used to be Dogpatch, there is a highway 7 spur that takes you right to the Motel. Randall and Debbie run the place and they are great people, there is a restaurant which serves good food on site, they also have a large room suitable for meetings and can do prime rib banquets - be sure to check for availability as they can be full since many motorcycle groups use them for their events.

The ride in Arkansas was the tail end of what started in Topeka, Ks and then included the swinging bridges route in Mo. unfortunately several of those bridges have been replaced by concrete but it is still a great ride. We then headed for the Hub - there is a dirt road that head directly east from their parking area. You can wind around on it in several directions, make a water crossing and eventually end up on Highway 123, which is a great road with many twisties and quick elevation changes in 10 mph switchbacks, but the intent was to ride dirt so I digress.

The mountain roads are not traveled much in this area, there can be several water crossings depending on how much rainfall there is. After making the big dirt loop, we headed back up 123 at Mt. Judea to 74 (another great road) back to Jasper, gas is available here, continue east to Boxley and then north on 21 to Kingston, stop in at the restaurant and at least get a strawberry shake, the bank next door has an interesting safe that you can see through the window. Turn around and ride back to Jasper, there are a couple of recreation areas that you might want to check out, Steel Creek road is a good one. If you want some more, try 327 just before you get back to Jasper, you won't be sorry.

We had 2 KLR 650's and 2 DRZ 400's on this ride, I think the guys on the DRZ's had more fun on the trails.
If you have a Gazetter for Arkansas check out the road that you can take at Catalpa, cr-1416 lots of elevation, moon hull road is not exciting but you will run into it and it takes you back to highway 21, unless you want to loop back, you don't want to miss the general store at Oark - good food and the best Strawberry malt you have had, ask them to use strawberry ice cream to make it - they give you the mixing cup to so it is like getting 2 malts for the price of one.

Well I could go one - this area of Arkansas is a rider's delight and after about 1400 miles it was time to head back home.
Jerrysc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:59 AM   #2
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 5,876
I believe one of the rules of advrider is: Pics or it didn't happen.

Anyway, nice write-up for a first post. Great job! Welcome to the asylum.

Not only does Arkansas have some great dirt roads, they have some great paved roads too.

I'm glad you had a great time.

Seriously, any pics?
Old 09-30-2012, 07:19 AM   #3
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,343
Man, with those comments, your gonna have Arkansas as a tourist destination. I've always loved Arkansas and have pretty much roamed the state from Mena to Mountain View areas on street and dual sport bikes. My first trip was in '82 on an '82 Yamaha XV920RH. My favorite do all roamer is my old '00 KLR which I broke it in on a trip to Arkansas in '99 to finish the TAT. And, It just did another 5 day trip in June up to the Mt. View areas. ;-)

A '00 KLR 650 37,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 73,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote