ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
Mr Head OP
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,120
Drank The Kool-Aid

Took the plunge after almost 9 years on the same 1150 Adventure I stepped off at 195,000 miles and into the KTM 990 fold.
New to me low miles Adventure R. Of course the low miles means the usual never ridden issues to be attended to.
Antigravvity battery is on it's way.
Had one of those in my BMW. Solves the starting below 40 F issue they seem to have always had since the /5 came into being.
Exploring around the bike and manual I find this completely cool wrench.
Even the fancy ultimate BMW tool kit I got when I was wrenching never included one of these!

The bike had 2280 miles on it when I picked it up. Now a tad over 2300.

In my garage:

Looking forward to this next leg of the adventure.

An accounting:
Purchased: New to me, 2013/09/21, 2,153 miles
Changes:
1. AntiGravity battery for OEM,
2. Weld 86 Bash Plate
3. CJ Side stand re-location
4. Side stand switch eliminated
5. CPR Snap-Out
6. Acc charger in Glove box
7. Lower thermostat switch
8. Canister gone
9. Block Off Plates, KTM Twins
10. Touratech Zega Pro bags and top box.
11. SuperPlush front springs and fresh fluid.
12. Fork cap bleed valves
13. Oberon Clutch Slave cylinder
14. Swapped touring fly-screen to OEM fly-screen
15. G2 Throttle Cam
16. Mirror re-location to clamp.
17, Kaoko Throttle control.

Maintenance:
Oil and filter change at fresh to me,
Tires, swap from OEM Scorpions to Dunlop 908 RR
Swap 908RR to TKC80 front, 908RR rear
5,000 - Oil/filter change, Fork Springs and Fork Oil, change brake fluids, F&R, changed coolant to Engine Ice.
10,000 - Oil/Filter change, Valve check, one intake changed, rear cylinder , new rear brake pads, new spark plugs.
15, 000 - Oil/filter, service fuel pump. Full kit, CJ.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug

Mr Head screwed with this post 07-11-2014 at 10:04 AM Reason: accounting
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Congrats! Still feel the joy when I see mine (And anyone else's 990/950).
2010 Ducati 1198S
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
DLRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
That is one nice 990. What year is it?

DLRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
The Oracle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
I'm totally hooked right now. Riding my 950 is just about all I think about...
Various quads and bikes for the peewees
The Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
Luke M
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Looks brand new! That black and white is the best color scheme for the Adventure. Congrats.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:19 PM   #6
Mr Head OP
PowerPoint ADV

Thanks, this is a 2010 Adventure R. I totally lucked into it. I'd given up fighting with my credit union for buying out of state or consignment or anything but new.
I went into Three Brothers Racing and Edwardo asked how much I wanted the new Baja rather than a lightly used older version...
I'm thinking they are all gone or something and I'm back to shopping and what not when he tells me about this one they are just picking up on consignment.
I had some time so I sat an we talked and waited for the bike to show up.
We unloaded it off the truck and even as we were unstrapping it I knew I had to have this one.
Even with a fine dusting of very light mud it was easy to see it was the one.
2,260 ish miles on it. They wanted to do a safety check and get it a wash so I came back the next day rode and put $500 down to hold it.
Then we just financed it through KTM, better rate than my credit union and no silliness. I could have save some tiny amount walking across the street from the office and using that credit union, but this was too simple.

Done.
With the battery issue sorted I then noticed I don't have the second "Black" key or the orange key.
More to take care of later.
Next up is a bashplate and sidestand relo, then bags, and later the heated grips. Eventually I'll aadd GPS again in some form.
Now, I just need to learn how to do services and fill the tank without splashing gas all over the side of the bike.

I figure to put a throttle lock on it too since I spend way too much time droning to work and back.
Oh, and I need to re-learn chain lube. The thing seems to heat up pretty quickly in traffic. The fan comes on, but I figure three year old fluids all need re-newed. From the coolant to the engine oil to clutch and brake fluids.
Looking forward to getting some time on knobbies with this beast.
I want to revisit my Jimmy Lewis Training this winter as well.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Old 09-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #7
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,585
Congrats on the new ride. I have a 12 R so partial to your choice

On the fuel fill, I'm guessing your talking more of the left tank. When filling try holding it as straight up and down as possible at the back of the filler hole. Seemed to work for me last fill up.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:47 AM   #8
alongat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 994
Beautiful bike but I am very biased given that I searched and waited to get my hands on the last brand new 2012 990R in Canada - I just had to have the R. The picture below shows it with Leo Vinces but I sold them and now have the Akras. Heated grips are a no-brainer, I got the OEM KTM kit and installed them. You will find absolutely no shortage of KTM 990 info on here no matter what you want to achieve...in the meantime; congratulations and have a great time with your new love affair :)

And loaded for camping...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
Thanks, this is a 2010 Adventure R. I totally lucked into it. I'd given up fighting with my credit union for buying out of state or consignment or anything but new.
I went into Three Brothers Racing and Edwardo asked how much I wanted the new Baja rather than a lightly used older version...
I'm thinking they are all gone or something and I'm back to shopping and what not when he tells me about this one they are just picking up on consignment.
I had some time so I sat an we talked and waited for the bike to show up.
We unloaded it off the truck and even as we were unstrapping it I knew I had to have this one.
Even with a fine dusting of very light mud it was easy to see it was the one.
2,260 ish miles on it. They wanted to do a safety check and get it a wash so I came back the next day rode and put $500 down to hold it.
Then we just financed it through KTM, better rate than my credit union and no silliness. I could have save some tiny amount walking across the street from the office and using that credit union, but this was too simple.

Done.
With the battery issue sorted I then noticed I don't have the second "Black" key or the orange key.
More to take care of later.
Next up is a bashplate and sidestand relo, then bags, and later the heated grips. Eventually I'll aadd GPS again in some form.
Now, I just need to learn how to do services and fill the tank without splashing gas all over the side of the bike.

I figure to put a throttle lock on it too since I spend way too much time droning to work and back.
Oh, and I need to re-learn chain lube. The thing seems to heat up pretty quickly in traffic. The fan comes on, but I figure three year old fluids all need re-newed. From the coolant to the engine oil to clutch and brake fluids.
Looking forward to getting some time on knobbies with this beast.
I want to revisit my Jimmy Lewis Training this winter as well.
And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:53 AM   #9
alongat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 994
By the way, speaking of heated grips...I got the KTM heated grips (they sell two kits, a basic one with a simple flip-switch and elements that you glue on and the second more complete set that comes with a variable heat switch and full grips that you slip onto your bars - I got the more complete kit). I went to install it and cut my old grips off. Clutch side was very straight-forward but when I went to install the throttle side, I had to modify my throttle tube. When I first got my bike, I installed the KTM "progressive throttle kit" which is a throttle profile the same as the "400 profile" for less snatchiness around town and at low speed on trails. The throttle tube in that kit is not smooth bore but rather ribbed and bumpy to getter retain control over the actual grip from slipping. Of course, the KTM heated grip kit did not simply slip over this uneven throttle tube surface so I ended up filing and sanding the tube plastic smooth. Once that was done all went well - it even just simply plugged into the ACC2 wires behind the dash, no wire cutting or ground terminating required.

Sorry, don't mean to divert from the thread, just though I would add in case you want t do the same for your bike.

I love your bike :)
And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:54 AM   #10
Mr Head OP
PowerPoint ADV

I like the orange bars. Very cool look.
Ordered the bash plate and relocation piece.
Next up is luggage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alongat View Post
Beautiful bike but I am very biased given that I searched and waited to get my hands on the last brand new 2012 990R in Canada - I just had to have the R. The picture below shows it with Leo Vinces but I sold them and now have the Akras. Heated grips are a no-brainer, I got the OEM KTM kit and installed them. You will find absolutely no shortage of KTM 990 info on here no matter what you want to achieve...in the meantime; congratulations and have a great time with your new love affair :)

And loaded for camping...

My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Old 09-22-2013, 08:04 AM   #11
Mr Head OP
PowerPoint ADV

Hey thanks for the information. When I stop by the dealer next, I'll inquire about both those pieces. So, the "400 Throttle is the throttle cam I read about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alongat View Post
By the way, speaking of heated grips...I got the KTM heated grips (they sell two kits, a basic one with a simple flip-switch and elements that you glue on and the second more complete set that comes with a variable heat switch and full grips that you slip onto your bars - I got the more complete kit). I went to install it and cut my old grips off. Clutch side was very straight-forward but when I went to install the throttle side, I had to modify my throttle tube. When I first got my bike, I installed the KTM "progressive throttle kit" which is a throttle profile the same as the "400 profile" for less snatchiness around town and at low speed on trails. The throttle tube in that kit is not smooth bore but rather ribbed and bumpy to getter retain control over the actual grip from slipping. Of course, the KTM heated grip kit did not simply slip over this uneven throttle tube surface so I ended up filing and sanding the tube plastic smooth. Once that was done all went well - it even just simply plugged into the ACC2 wires behind the dash, no wire cutting or ground terminating required.

Sorry, don't mean to divert from the thread, just though I would add in case you want t do the same for your bike.

I love your bike :)
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug

Mr Head screwed with this post 09-22-2013 at 10:11 AM
Old 09-22-2013, 08:05 AM   #12
Mr Head OP
PowerPoint ADV

I need to decide which bags to get. I narrowed it down to Touratech. Black Zega Pro's. Now, I just need to decide on size.
I don't need huge, but too small will suck.

So, 31L or 38L?
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Old 09-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #13
CollinsB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 987
Congrats on the new purchase! Just curious..are you keeping the 1150? ?...Seems like it was just getting broke in.
CollinsB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:12 AM   #14
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,356

well, besides doubling as a handy beer bottle opener (which is what most use it for), it is actually a torque wrench extension for torquing the lower cylinder bolts.

congrats on the new ride. your gonna love it.

laters,

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:10 AM   #15
Mr Head OP
PowerPoint ADV

Sold it a week ago.
That was hard to watch the new owner ride it out of my life. We had ourselves some times for sure.

The KTM had been calling for a few years. Those damned test rides.
I'm looking forward to strapping a set of knobbies on this big black pig and learning how to ride this bike.

First impressions:
1. Very narrow bars.
2. Bloody heavy to get on the centerstand. KTM.
3. This thing gets moving now!
4. Fueling up is a bit fiddly but I should get used to it.
5. Seat is better than the BMW, (I burned through three and a half OEM saddles).
6. No throttle lock is tiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsB View Post
Congrats on the new purchase! Just curious..are you keeping the 1150? ?...Seems like it was just getting broke in.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug