ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 08:39 PM   #61
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 9,390
Question-

Isn't the oil tank venerable in this pic? Or is the tank high enough to avoid taking a rock hit?

I noticed that this skidplate goes about the same height as the Big Dog plate -

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:55 PM   #62
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
Question-

Isn't the oil tank venerable in this pic? Or is the tank high enough to avoid taking a rock hit?

The tank itself is pretty robust, the problem is that its mounted to the radiator so when you the bash plate hard enough it starts to collapse the rad.... Not that you couldn't damage the oil tank but it is pretty stout.
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:23 AM   #63
BIG-E
AKA; Mongo-E

Oddometer: 2,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookymoo View Post
What kind of cost?
Is there a vendor link?
In the $325 range Canadian.

No link yet, as he can't produce very many and he doesn't want to be overwhelmed with orders.

Mike is going to produce about 12 plates next week, so we will see...

He has tested this design on his own SE and it will work with a center stand and again, the plate does not depend on the oil tank to support anything. He told me you can run the plate without the 2 oil tank screws just fine.

These plates are 3/16" tig weled alum. and powder coated in a silver vein finish. If you take a hit to the front hard enough to bend the plate at the oil tank, wheww.... it might leave a mark, but will buff right out!!

I am new to the SE, I rode my 990 to over 30k though. And only broke one motor case! I do have some insight to one or 2 of our local SE "guru's"

Take care everyone, Eric.

This is what the Black dog did to my Adventure,

And this what the plate looked like,

Edit, I souldn't say the plate did this, I did this, and the plate suffered the wrath. The ribs where very high on the inside of the plate, and when I cased the G-out, the rubber grommets flexed enough to slam the plate into the bottom of my motor, cracking it. Luckly, we where able to weld it thru the clutch side and it never leaked again!!

"If my Technique Improves, so will my riding"!

BIG-E screwed with this post 09-26-2012 at 06:52 AM
BIG-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:27 AM   #64
2torqued
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad View Post
BIG-E's photos.

Good looking bash plate!

I must have one.
Just received an email from Adventure Spec and they will not be making any more.
2torqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:52 PM   #65
olec
Rookie

Oddometer: 273
The last picture in this post http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=2143 shows how I fixed the issue on the SE. My rad started to bend, but I just mounted two thicker / strong steel bars on each side going from the BD bashplate to the free mounting threads (for crash bars?) higher up on the sides. Held up very well for two years and no more issues.
olec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #66
Yellow Pig OP
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,223
Quote:
Question-

Here is the issue w/ the BD vs the G-IT:

Old 09-26-2012, 06:54 PM   #67
LAKEMONSTER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Hey Guys, boy oh boy, do i wish i bought my SE when it first came out? However i picked mine up as one of the last ones available. Iv'e had it for two Seasons now, and built, and tested a few Trinkets for it, including my Version of a Skid Plate.
I am surprised at the interest, and demand for product for the Bike still, so yes, i am building a run of Plates.

I have been Machining, and Fabricating Motorcycle parts for years, that include everything from one-off Aluminum
Subrames, to Stainless Steel Clipons, rearsets, fuel tanks, swapping front forks around, yada, yada.

I am working on getting a Website done, so people can find me, and i will be producing a few different Off-Road, and Adventure parts (mostly KTM) for now.

You can get in touch with me here, or my business email... info@mvmotoventure.ca

I have had some difficulty posting Pics on ADV, so thanks to BIG-E for doing a little PR work for me! My Machining skills outweigh my Computer abilities by a Factor of 10... This is good, No? Cheers!!!
LAKEMONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:52 PM   #68
frog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post

So then the force is transfered to a bolt through the engine? Sounds perfect remount the kickstand to prevent a cracked engine then mount the skidplate to it. Lol.
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:55 PM   #69
LoFlow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
So then the force is transfered to a bolt through the engine? Sounds perfect remount the kickstand to prevent a cracked engine then mount the skidplate to it. Lol.
A little misleading. Not the same troublesome mounting point.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:13 PM   #70
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 9,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post

That's interesting, as the BD plate that I installed on my ADV a few months ago had shims in case there was any room between the rubber bumper & the bottom of the engine case. Mine fit snugly and did not require the shims.

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:43 AM   #71
BIG-E
AKA; Mongo-E

Oddometer: 2,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKEMONSTER View Post
Hey Guys, boy oh boy, do i wish i bought my SE when it first came out? However i picked mine up as one of the last ones available. Iv'e had it for two Seasons now, and built, and tested a few Trinkets for it, including my Version of a Skid Plate.
I am surprised at the interest, and demand for product for the Bike still, so yes, i am building a run of Plates.

I have been Machining, and Fabricating Motorcycle parts for years, that include everything from one-off Aluminum
Subrames, to Stainless Steel Clipons, rearsets, fuel tanks, swapping front forks around, yada, yada.

I am working on getting a Website done, so people can find me, and i will be producing a few different Off-Road, and Adventure parts (mostly KTM) for now.

You can get in touch with me here, or my business email... info@mvmotoventure.ca

I have had some difficulty posting Pics on ADV, so thanks to BIG-E for doing a little PR work for me! My Machining skills outweigh my Computer abilities by a Factor of 10... This is good, No? Cheers!!!
Traveltoad actually posted the pictures as I can't figure it out either. I sent him the pictures that you sent me, and they look really good, showing the bike resting on nothing but the plate, and no give.

Thanks TT!!

I can't wait to get my plate!

"If my Technique Improves, so will my riding"!
BIG-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:13 AM   #72
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG-E View Post
Traveltoad actually posted the pictures as I can't figure it out either. I sent him the pictures that you sent me, and they look really good, showing the bike resting on nothing but the plate, and no give.

Thanks TT!!

I can't wait to get my plate!
I have to say... this plate looks good.

Once reading this thread I jumped at the chance to buy the very last G-iT plate for the SE, if it hand not landed yesterday I would be in line for one of these.

Feel free to make one extra... you know... just in case!
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:00 AM   #73
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,643
More pics from BIG-E:

traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:03 AM   #74
Yellow Pig OP
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,223
Quote:
That's interesting, as the BD plate that I installed on my ADV a few months ago had shims in case there was any room between the rubber bumper & the bottom of the engine case. Mine fit snugly and did not require the shims.
Again, this is mostly a concern on the SE, not the ADV.

The ADV skid plate bolts to a cast aluminum subframe in the front.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:37 AM   #75
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad View Post
More pics from BIG-E:

If Lakemonster is so anal he puts tie wire on his oil screen bolts the details on the plate are probably well sorted.

I think I'll keep a few hundred bucks in my pocket and modify my Blackdog a bit, should be a few holes to drill and a simple bracket to bend up, maybe BDCW can build others and upgrade kit?

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote