User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2014, 03:25 PM   #1
Roktman OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Which thumper for the wife?

She learned to ride on a Suzuki dr 200 , she's outgrown it were gonna do the San diego CDR artic circle sandiego trip, rest, then to tierra del fuego, im thinking a Honda crf 250 l because easy to deal with in Mexico CA. And South America or Suzuki Drs 400. Or Suzuki dr 650 what you guys think?
Roktman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 03:34 PM   #2
Lordendo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
My gf is the same situation. Right now she has a virago 250 and a crf230l. It's working great and we talk about the next step. I'm hoping that a KLR650 is going to work, failing that a lowered drz400 would fit the bill. Something with a fairing would be ideal, which is why we're leaning towards klr (assuming we can't afford a BMW which is what she really wants).
Old 11-09-2014, 05:42 PM   #3
The_Precious_Juice
In Garrison.

Oddometer: 1,716
Welcome to the fold!

The CRF250L is good to go. 70mph is topped out. Less after market.

DRZ-400 is more aggresive for urban assaults and off roading. 35hp. Will need a bigger tank. Stock is 2.6 gallons?

The MIGHTHY DR is mellow. 35hp. Less aggresive off road and urban assaults.
More user friendly off road due to low rpm torque.
Over geared 5th gear does 80mph all day long with power to over take cages.
3.4 gallon tank allows best range. 150-180 miles with stock carb.

The_Precious_Juice screwed with this post 11-09-2014 at 05:47 PM
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:07 PM   #4
Roktman OP
n00b

Which thumper for the wife

Right on guys, thanks for the replies, keepem coming. ,I'll probably pick up a dr 650 do a seat, tank, exhaust, bars,a few other typical mods and Farkles without going overboard , or the same mods on a drz 400 , 400 or 650 ? Starting to give me a little head ache, gimme some input guys and gals if you've had these bikes, for the wifey , I'm figuring the crf 250L Honda or Yamaha xt 250 carburetor but with water cool, would be great for Mexico and south since we're gonna take our merry time,, but I wonder if it would be a problem cruising from San diego to New Mexico to start the CDR ride to Canada. Through Canada to Alaska then down the west coast to home , another possible concern with the Honda is the possible fuel injection field fix which is non existent, .......then again maybe I should get a Honda crf 250L, easier to sell at the tip of South America since Hondas are very popular there, Would it be to small for my 195 lbs and 35lbs of gear, now I've got a little bigger headache since I wrote this out, hahahah. Bring it on guys
Old 11-09-2014, 07:23 PM   #5
LightWeightRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
which bike?

the CRF250L is a great bike! and should be fine at stock seat height as long as shes about 5'5" or taller. and yeah it will handle some luggage, its this gals bike of choice for a global circumnavigation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mipEqcNM_uk
the fuel injection would be really nice as long as nothing goes wrong with it. If you were open to a more simple, 'vintage' bike, I couldnt endorse the Honda NX250 any more. Its the Ultimate small do it all bike. Look into them, they will do 60, 80, 100K miles on the original motor with just oil changes. dead nuts reliable. 32 inch seat height so great for shorter riders. Its my current bike, a 1988 (they were only brought to the states 88,89, and 90) Its what I taught my girlfriend to ride on, and will be passing it onto her once I get a new bike. Theyre water cooled and make a shit ton of horsepower for a 250 (27 hp, about what a DRZ400 does!? they are 29 I think) anyways, its fast fast. and a wide ratio 6 speed. Its light enough to throw around on singletrack but will run down the highway at 75. If they still built them I could do the commercials for them
"Ill make it halfway home due to poor planning. Ill break down in the jungle, and survive by foraging for nuts and roots and berries, then die from the berries. If they find a skeleton wearing a pair of jorts laying next to a dirt bike with a flat tire, you guys will know what happened to me"
LightWeightRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:23 PM   #6
Roktman OP
n00b

Thank you PRECIOUS JUICE for the welcome,been lurking with great fascination for about half a year , read JDOWNS South America trip and was in,I'm an avid reader but I haven't started a new book in last 3 months thanks to ADVRIDER , love this site
Old 11-09-2014, 07:27 PM   #7
LightWeightRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
also, cruise this thread for awhile, youll rarely find long distance riders wishing they had a heavier, more powerful bike. Almost ALL wish they had a smaller, lighter bike. You just have to pack accordingly
"Ill make it halfway home due to poor planning. Ill break down in the jungle, and survive by foraging for nuts and roots and berries, then die from the berries. If they find a skeleton wearing a pair of jorts laying next to a dirt bike with a flat tire, you guys will know what happened to me"
LightWeightRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:06 PM   #8
The_Precious_Juice
In Garrison.

Oddometer: 1,716
Cool

Seat height on the DR200 is low.

What is her height?

The DR can be dropped to 33.x" I think. The suspension sag is a lot. I can flat foot on a stock seat height of 34.x".
I am less than six feet.
Also, her riding style is important.
I think the DRZ is more for higher rpms.

All three MC are great and have their strentghs and weakness.
The DR gives up the most off road, but is the most basic to up keep and trouble shoot.
No f.i. or radiator.
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 10:19 PM   #9
Sig_Sour
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
You really outta follow the RTW threads. Research research research if you're serious about a multi-continent trip. The average poster in Thumpers is not a RTW (round the world) traveler. There's a two lady team down in South America right now on DRZ400's.

You might also want to research here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201349
Sig_Sour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:17 PM   #10
Roktman OP
n00b

Which thumper for wife

Thanks SIG SOUR AND LIGHTWEIGHTRIDER will look into it
Old 11-10-2014, 07:47 PM   #11
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roktman View Post
She learned to ride on a Suzuki dr 200 , she's outgrown it were gonna do the San diego CDR artic circle sandiego trip, rest, then to tierra del fuego, im thinking a Honda crf 250 l because easy to deal with in Mexico CA. And South America or Suzuki Drs 400. Or Suzuki dr 650 what you guys think?

If your going with a bike each then it would make sense that both of you run the same model... This would mean you would only have to carry one set of potential problem parts between you... For if you go with 2 honda 250s, then a spare fuel pump, injector and filter assembly wouldn't be a bad carry..

With the Suzuki DR 400 a spare stator would be good to have as well as spare set of carb wear parts...

Whatever model you pick study the owners threads to pin down potential problems and that will give a clue what spares to carry...

The DR 650 has proved reliable for a lot of riders on long journeys, for the ones that have rode with me not so much so... But as with any model line and brand a bad one is sure to pop up now and again..
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:20 PM   #12
Roktman OP
n00b

Thanks for the input GUNNERBUCK, yea I was thinking about the two bikes being the same would be smart , been reading a bit ,I'm think I'm leaning toward the Honda crf250 L, my wife is just under 5'7" so may lower through link or seat , for me I'm 6' 1" 1/2 33 to 34 inseam hope it's not to small, my 05 Ktm 525 exc fits good 3/4 inch lower would be perfect.... So I'll have to go to a dealer and check it out...... I wonder if there's any mods other than exhaust that would give it a little extra punch
Old 11-10-2014, 10:40 PM   #13
godwinmt
They call me Crash

Oddometer: 593
I started riding on a DR200 a few years ago, and stepped up to a dr650 as I outgrew the 200. It was a really good bike, and I put several thousand miles on it before it was totaled by an inattentive driver. I took the insurance money from it, and bought a WR250R, and don't regret it for a minute.

The WR made a little less horsepower than the DR, but was considerably lighter, and had much better components on it. Reliability was top notch with it, and man was it durable. Another key advantage is that they can be lowered considerably without any aftermarket add ons by sliding the forks up in the triple clamps, and slIding the clevis on the end of the shock up. As my needs changed, I sold the WR to my dad who's had a blast with it, and drank the orange kool-aid...but for a single bike that would do it all and is very beginner friendly while not completely boring for someone experienced, the WR would be right at the to of my list.
godwinmt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:20 PM   #14
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roktman View Post
Thanks for the input GUNNERBUCK, yea I was thinking about the two bikes being the same would be smart , been reading a bit ,I'm think I'm leaning toward the Honda crf250 L, my wife is just under 5'7" so may lower through link or seat , for me I'm 6' 1" 1/2 33 to 34 inseam hope it's not to small, my 05 Ktm 525 exc fits good 3/4 inch lower would be perfect.... So I'll have to go to a dealer and check it out...... I wonder if there's any mods other than exhaust that would give it a little extra punch
For someone your size the 250 may be a little small and limiting.. The DR 400 would probably be a better fit being a little taller while also having more engine torque to haul you around... For your MRS. on the other hand at 5'7" it would be a stretch and could probably use a bit of lowering...

Moose and Mini dropped by and rode with me a few yrs back on a couple of stock DR 400s and it was amazing to watch Mini ride the tall bike as she was not too much over 5' in height, here is their thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...483092&page=13
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote