Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 07:17 AM   #1681
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,625
Yeah I am not jumping on the Husky bandwagon until more of this is sorted out and more details are known. Glad I am researching a few dual sports right now
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:25 AM   #1682
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
BMW are parasites. They have a history of doing this sort of thing. They buy small companies to milk them of their technology that BMW is unable to develop themselves then dump them once they have the knowledge.

Example - Land Rover
BMW purchased Land Rover in the mid 1990s because they had no history or experience in 4WD. They used Land Rover brains to develop the 4WD systems in their SUV range then dumped the company to Ford (who subsequently virtually ruined it before selling it to Tata who have done wonders at restoring and improving things in a relatively short time frame).
Huh? BMW had four wheel drive to their sedans long before they got involved with Land Rover.

Anyway, my Disco II with Bosch electricals was a vast improvement over the pre-BMW Lucas electricals in my Range Rover, I'll tell ya ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:59 AM   #1683
tdrrally
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,328
i work for a shop that sells both ktm and husky. the parts system for ktm is worlds better than husky.

bang for the buck i would still buy the husky over a ktm
Old 01-31-2013, 11:56 AM   #1684
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Why do you think this will happen?
Just a guess ... not enough known at this point. I'm not familiar enough with Pierer's position within KTM regards Bajaj. How much power does he retain after selling off nearly half of KTM to Bajaj? Lots of questions ... and I'm guessing most will be answered in coming days. Follow Alan Cathcart for a good industry analysis. He really knows the Italian Moto industry and gets the best interviews with CEO's throughout the moto industry. But you still have to read between the lines. Once it's all settled Cathcart will be able to explain details to all of us commoners.

I'm waiting to here firm comments on this from BMW Motorad. Until then I classify it as an interesting rumor.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:05 PM   #1685
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,700
Here's the official press release by BMW

Sale of Husqvarna Motorcycles to Pierer Industrie AG

Munich. The BMW Group is realigning its BMW Motorrad business. In the context of changing motorcycle markets, demographic trends and increasing environmental demands, BMW Motorrad will expand its product offering to exploit future growth potential. The focus of the realignment will be on urban mobility and e-mobility. By restructuring the segment, the BMW Group will concentrate on expanding and utilising the resources of the BMW Motorrad brand. Therefore the BMW Group signed a purchase agreement with Pierer Industrie AG (Austria) for the acquisition of Husqvarna Motorcycles. The acquisition will proceed subject to approval by anti-trust authorities. Both companies have agreed not to disclose the purchase price.

Expanded offering for urban mobility and e-mobility

BMW Motorrad achieved a new sales record in 2012. With the realignment of its motorcycle business, BMW Motorrad aims to maintain profitable and sustainable growth over the coming years. Its current core business consists exclusively of premium vehicles in the categories “Tourer”, “Enduro”, “Sport”, “Roadster” and “Maxi-Scooter” from 650 to 1600 cc. BMW Motorrad entered the urban mobility segment for the first time in 2012 with the C 650 GT and C 600 Sport maxi-scooters. The next step in the expansion of the product line-up in this segment will be the series launch of the “C evolution” electric scooter in 2014. Further innovative vehicle concepts are also under consideration. Drive trains will include both environmentally-friendly combustion engines and pure electric drives. This move by BMW Motorrad reflects the BMW Group’s overall focus on early identification of trends, such as megacities and traffic density, as well as environmental issues. Corresponding products and services are already available for the Automobile segment.

Continuation of product offensive

In addition to the expansion in the field of urban mobility, core segments from the 650 single-cylinder entry-level bike to the 6-cylinder luxury tourer will also be selectively expanded.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:09 PM   #1686
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
I'm more worried about the Terra going the way of the 6.4L Powerstroke/ bastardized love child of Ford/Navistar.
It was made for 2 years then ended abruptly in lawsuits. The 6.4L is junk, and no one wants to warranty it and finding parts (OEM or aftermarket) is hard because of this.

I'm concerned that no aftermarket companies will make a wide selection of parts like panniers, bags, etc since the Terra will more than likely only be made for 1-2 years. And I really don't want to fork out $900 for the OEM hard bags.
I hear ya. The Strada was at the top of my list as a potential new bike purchase this year. Now its not. I don't want a low volume orphan regardless of how great a bike it is. I tend to keep bikes a long time if I like them. Parts and accessories may not be a problem down the road, but I'm not rich enough to roll the dice. If parts and accessories become hard to find it'll kill resale value too - the hardcore Husky guys won't be interested in a street oriented bike and the non-hardcore will buy something else.

If they keep building the Strada and I don't buy something else, maybe I'll reconsider in a couple of years.
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:33 PM   #1687
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Here's the official press release by BMW

Sale of Husqvarna Motorcycles to Pierer Industrie AG

Munich. The BMW Group is realigning its BMW Motorrad business. In the context of changing motorcycle markets, demographic trends and increasing environmental demands, BMW Motorrad will expand its product offering to exploit future growth potential. The focus of the realignment will be on urban mobility and e-mobility. By restructuring the segment, the BMW Group will concentrate on expanding and utilising the resources of the BMW Motorrad brand. Therefore the BMW Group signed a purchase agreement with Pierer Industrie AG (Austria) for the acquisition of Husqvarna Motorcycles. The acquisition will proceed subject to approval by anti-trust authorities. Both companies have agreed not to disclose the purchase price.

Expanded offering for urban mobility and e-mobility

BMW Motorrad achieved a new sales record in 2012. With the realignment of its motorcycle business, BMW Motorrad aims to maintain profitable and sustainable growth over the coming years. Its current core business consists exclusively of premium vehicles in the categories “Tourer”, “Enduro”, “Sport”, “Roadster” and “Maxi-Scooter” from 650 to 1600 cc. BMW Motorrad entered the urban mobility segment for the first time in 2012 with the C 650 GT and C 600 Sport maxi-scooters. The next step in the expansion of the product line-up in this segment will be the series launch of the “C evolution” electric scooter in 2014. Further innovative vehicle concepts are also under consideration. Drive trains will include both environmentally-friendly combustion engines and pure electric drives. This move by BMW Motorrad reflects the BMW Group’s overall focus on early identification of trends, such as megacities and traffic density, as well as environmental issues. Corresponding products and services are already available for the Automobile segment.

Continuation of product offensive

In addition to the expansion in the field of urban mobility, core segments from the 650 single-cylinder entry-level bike to the 6-cylinder luxury tourer will also be selectively expanded.
Thanks for posting that! So now we're getting somewhere!
I still feel the sale is a big mistake. But just IMHO. BMW's have already eaten it trying to sell their Odd Ball $10,000 Maxi scooters. Several failed projects in the last 10 years. The Chinese, Koreans and Japanese will crucify them in the Scooter segment.

Electric bikes are up for grabs but LOTS of players here too ... who ALL can under cut the crap out of BMW's inflated pricing. Perhaps the EU will go for BMW's big scooters? ... but I don't believe they will EVER sell in the USA. Too big, too expensive and ... UGLY!
Old 01-31-2013, 04:10 PM   #1688
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 753
Seems to me the Terra is a good fit for what the new owner wants; stealing sales from Japanese bikes. It's unlikely that the Terra will be lost in the shuffle - more likely some of the Husky dirt bikes will be scrutinized for similarities to their KTM counterparts.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:04 PM   #1689
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
How is that going to work? It is badged Husqvarna. The engine may have some design by Husqvarna. The primary difference between the BMW badged 650 and a Huskey, is the head, cams, and size of the valves. The engines are still manufactured by Loncin who has contractural agreements with BMW. I hope you are right, it would certainly be more fair to the customers, but I just do not think it will work that way.

Remember the fire sale on the 630's when BMW took over? Look for another one.
Man, that's a good point ... if dealers panic that could happen.
But I'm sure the "deal" will extend whatever contract BMW have with Loncin for Husky motors over to the NEW owner. As long as payments are made the Chinese have no reason to not honor the contract and continue to produce the motors and spare parts. The new owners will be obligated to support existing Terra/Strada bikes (and all other current Huskies).

If they cease production in China ? Well, now that would be interesting. Would Pierer take production to India? Austria? Back to Italy?
Theories? Guesses? Seems to me Pierer is committed to Loncin for a while ... if for no other reason than to obtain spares for existing Terra/Stradas.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:38 PM   #1690
Jeathrow Bowdean
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Hummmmm !!! It seems to me, that a Hennry Ford thing is going down here, and BMW might be it's own worst enemy by having something that is less then the BMW model, and by droping the price of a 650cc unit. It will put some pressure Honda to get thier XR 650L in check in Canada at $8200 + shiping/ set up fee/ and tax. But husky will have the same added to it I'm sure.

It look likes battle lines are foruming boys and girls, so find a hill top to watch it build !!!

From Jeathrow Bowdean
Jeathrow Bowdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:41 PM   #1691
AltRoute
AltRoute

Oddometer: 281
now what do I do

I was so going to get this bike but the TR is almost all BMW accept for the Husqy fuel tank and stickers ( and thoes cool pipes) - it can't last in its present state -
It will end up like the TE 630 - as good as it was, it's only out for a couple years - droped - now try and gets parts in a couple years.
AltRoute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:01 PM   #1692
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 753
Jeez, I've been into dirt bikes for over 40 years, models can change completely in a two year span - you still get parts. Some companies do nothing but make aftermarket parts for other companies. This engine has the same bearings, rods, tranny, etc that are found in other bikes - . Pistons are no big deal. So the head is modified from other engines, but how often do you replace the entire head. And that's a worst case scenario - which is not probable. Why worry over the unlikelyhood of a short-lived Terra and Strada - the bike is a runner and will continue to be popular regardless of corporate ownership.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:02 PM   #1693
Jeathrow Bowdean
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
I"m sure that there will be some changes as the unit goes forward, being that a few bugs might need some working out. They might change a few thing here and there in year 2 and 3, and most bikes have done this in there life time.

First and second year units need time to find what works, then by all means. I fell pray to this in the snowmobile world, and now I'm gun shy. If you don't have 5 years behind you, then you don't even get a look from me !!!

From Jeathrow Bowdean PS: One knot plus Two knot knot is Knot Three !!!
Jeathrow Bowdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:07 PM   #1694
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,324
I've never once regretted buying my one-year-run G650X. The Terra seems head and shoulders above anything comparable (KLR, G650GS) in the bigger DS niche. If it does end up being a one year run, which I doubt as it seems to very selling quite well unlike the G650X bikes, I would only worry about aftermarket. Skid plates and factory racks already exist, so I can't think of too many Terra-specific items that one would need. All else can certainly be easily adapted.

Seriously, what parts would you reasonably envision needing that is specific only to the Terra? Do you really want to be putzing around on a KLR three years from now because you were worried about getting a headlight protector?
Old 01-31-2013, 06:35 PM   #1695
netteb16
hangersoutters

Oddometer: 38
What he said I think.
netteb16 is offline   Reply With Quote