Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 06:59 PM   #1696
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawagumby View Post
Jeez, I've been into dirt bikes for over 40 years, models can change completely in a two year span - you still get parts. Some companies do nothing but make aftermarket parts for other companies. This engine has the same bearings, rods, tranny, etc that are found in other bikes - . Pistons are no big deal. So the head is modified from other engines, but how often do you replace the entire head. And that's a worst case scenario - which is not probable. Why worry over the unlikelyhood of a short-lived Terra and Strada - the bike is a runner and will continue to be popular regardless of corporate ownership.

This is a little different than a model change. This is similar to when BMW bought out Husqvarna. What ever happened to that 630?

What I read into this, is that existing models will have more KTM content. Didn't that happen to Husaberg?

If this model or one like it continues, it is not going to have a BMW designed engine it.

BMW can supply a lot of the parts, except for the electronics and upper end. It won't have much effect on current owners, but it certainly will have an effect on sales. Bikes don't sell, they get cut.

It doesn't worry me especially, having owned a Yamaha TDM 850 here in the US 2 years and a KLX650 here for 4 yrs.

Read the forums. The common wisdom on those bikes, is don't buy one, can't find parts or aftermarket.

itsatdm screwed with this post 01-31-2013 at 07:05 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:19 PM   #1697
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,631
Well.....I can tell you this for sure: if I didn't already have a Terra, I would be running to find one tomorrow!

Its simply a dream to ride in its current configuration. The BMW motor that's in it is wonderful. Swap out that engine with an LC4 (or modern equal) and I'm not nearly as interested. I love Love LOVE this motor exactly the way it currently is.

The Terra is an incredibly fun bike to ride. I've got tools. I know how to find BMW parts, if I ever needed to. BMW will be supporting the G650 motor (and Sertao) for a many moons to come.

I'm not sweating it in the least. But, I still wish it had not happened.....if nothing more for the hesitation its causing potential buyers (evidenced in this Thread).

HF

p.s. who knows....maybe it will even get better with than we imagined.
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:56 AM   #1698
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Well.....I can tell you this for sure: if I didn't already have a Terra, I would be running to find one tomorrow!

Its simply a dream to ride in its current configuration. The BMW motor that's in it is wonderful. Swap out that engine with an LC4 (or modern equal) and I'm not nearly as interested. I love Love LOVE this motor exactly the way it currently is.

The Terra is an incredibly fun bike to ride. I've got tools. I know how to find BMW parts, if I ever needed to. BMW will be supporting the G650 motor (and Sertao) for a many moons to come.

I'm not sweating it in the least. But, I still wish it had not happened.....if nothing more for the hesitation its causing potential buyers (evidenced in this Thread).

HF

+1, except that mine is a Strada....
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:46 AM   #1699
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawagumby View Post
Jeez, I've been into dirt bikes for over 40 years, models can change completely in a two year span - you still get parts. Some companies do nothing but make aftermarket parts for other companies. This engine has the same bearings, rods, tranny, etc that are found in other bikes - . Pistons are no big deal. So the head is modified from other engines, but how often do you replace the entire head. And that's a worst case scenario - which is not probable. Why worry over the unlikelyhood of a short-lived Terra and Strada - the bike is a runner and will continue to be popular regardless of corporate ownership.

Like I said before, I'm more worried about aftermarket companies abandoning the Terra since it will only be made for a year or two.

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:59 AM   #1700
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
Like I said before, I'm more worried about aftermarket companies abandoning the Terra since it will only be made for a year or two.
Or maybe less than 1 year.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....5&postcount=86
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #1701
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
First off, you're assuming it will only be made for a year or two...and there is absolutely nothing to indicate that will ultimately be the case. Second, there are many aftermarket parts, skid plates, guards, etc that are already being made for this bike. The companies that make them will not likely throw away the expensive tooling as long as there are customers.

Funny thing is...I'm like Highfive...this bike is a keeper for reasons that go beyond these kinds of issues. I'm already thinking about making my own rear fender ass'y just for fun - one that will survive the inevitable dirt crash in our future. Maybe because I'm used to paying nearly 8K for dirt bikes and immediately modding them, crashing them into oblivion, repairing etc., it just doesn't bother me to have to fiddle a bit to keep a good bike rolling. If I get a good bike, I keep it for a long time....nowadays it doesn't take long to find the best pipelines for parts, etc. it's all good.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:13 AM   #1702
Harder1
braaaap!

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post

HF

Touche'. I'm too busy laughing in my helmet every time I ride this bike. It's a sweet machine and I'm glad I bought one.
Harder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:49 AM   #1703
farp
DualsportBC Rider

Oddometer: 62
I have a deposit on a TR650 Terra and I expect to pick it up within a week or so. I'm not worried in the slightest. I was talking to the Husky rep at the recent Vancouver motorcycle show and he told me Husky expects to sell more TR650s than all their other models combined, and the info I've gotten from surfing the web bears this out. It seems inconceivable that Husky, or Peirer, would discontinue such a promising bike. And considering what KTM has done under Peirers' direction the most probable assumption is that the TR650 will be improved in coming years. Peirer would undoubtedly have secured all the parts and processes needed to continue manufacturing the bikes before he bought the brand. I think this is a good thing for the TR650 motorcycles.
farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:52 AM   #1704
klxmack
king of the box

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
This is a quote from http://motocrossactionmag.com/Main/N...ETIR-9737.aspx

The deal will take about one month to be finalized. The new owners will be responsible for service and warranties on all Husky product. And, when the deal is final, BMW will no longer supply any BMW parts or engines to Husqvarna. Additionally, all BMW employees at the Italian Husqvarna plant will stay on BMW's payroll and return to Germany.
Stefan Peirer will simply source those parts from the manufactures. The engine from rotax, the same for the electrics, suspension, brakes.

This is a very good deal for us Husky owners.

Cheers
3. My bike and its owner are faster than yours.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=klxmack
klxmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #1705
klxmack
king of the box

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
I hope you are right.

Faith brother faith.

Cheers
3. My bike and its owner are faster than yours.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=klxmack
klxmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:10 AM   #1706
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,631
Hey....maybe it ain't gloom & doom after all.

HF

February 1, 2013
Bajaj KTM buys BMW Husqvarna for undisclosed sum
by Sagar Patel

Tweet5 Share1 +10 Pin It0 Share2 Share25
KTM, the Austrian motorcycle firm which is also part owned by Bajaj Auto, India’s premier two wheeler manufacturing company, has purchased BMW‘s motorcycle brand, Husqvarna.
BMW purchased Husqvarna July 2007, for a sum of €93 million (INR 672 crores or $126.24 million). They also invested heavily in R&D facilities and in the revamping of product architecture. For 2012, Husqvarna sold 10,751 motorcycles globally, an increase of 15.8% compared to 2011 sales figures. BMW sold Husqvarna to Bajaj KTM in order to focus their concentration on BMW Motorrad. 123456789101112131415161718192021
On the other hand, KTM sales for 2012 stood at 107,142 units for 2012, and now with Husqvarna, it is quite clear that they want to expand their business even more. Bajaj Auto holds a 47% stake in KTM, and India helped boost KTM sales last year. Pierer Industrie holds the 51% controlling stake in KTM. In a telephonic interview with Bloomberg, Pierer revealed that Husqvarna did not fit in BMW’s long-term plan. BMW, which is the largest luxury car maker in the world, is facing increase in competition from Audi and Mercedes Benz, who are both aiming to snatch the No 1 spot from BMW.
This takeover will be noteworthy for Indian part owner Bajaj Auto as well. Motorcycle fans who love the kind of motorcycles Husqvarna manufactures, can expect to see them on Indian soil very soon.
The current Husqvarna lineup includes a wide range of off road bikes besides street bikes and supermoto bikes. The range includes the Nuda 900 and TR650 street bikes besides SMR 630, 511, 125 and SMS 125 range of supermoto bikes. The company’s ranges of mini cross bikes and cross country bikes include TXC and TE Enduro.

Read more at http://www.rushlane.com/bajaj-ktm-buys-bmw-husqvarna-1263928.html#dxFHYA5c6lUPB7cE.99
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:10 AM   #1707
Johnnyboxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
What will happen to the Terra , now that Husky has been sold to KTM

Will it be a 1 year model only?

Will BMW pull the 650 motors, now??

2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Black
2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Silver
2007 BMW G650 XCountry - Black
Johnnyboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:41 AM   #1708
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by klxmack View Post
Faith brother faith.

Cheers
In many ways the major competitors to the TR650's are BMW's own 650 bikes.
I believe BMW made a huge error with the development of the TR's regarding their own line.

I believe the engines come from a deal with Loncin and BMW, not Rotax.
The single cylinder engine does not even seem to be part of the Rotax engine supply anymore. In years past the single showed up on this page.

http://www.brp-powertrain.com/en/des.../361_read-329/

I dont know if BMW has sole rights to this engine now or not.

Do you really think BMW wants these bikes to exist and would allow these engines to continue to be sold to their now major competitor?
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:45 AM   #1709
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,467
So is it not possible then to buy parts from BMW for a sertao or F650 or whatever and put them in? Obviously there are head differences but all the bearings and pistons would interchange I think. The fork is Marzocchi so parts should be easy to get there, the rest of the bearings are just bearings and should be easily sourced. Wheels are wheels and all the consumables should be interchangeable. The only issue I really see is the frame and the plastics/tank.

What am I missing? I fail to see the fuss, but them again I've owned more than one "orphan" or oddball bike and might be used to such things.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:18 AM   #1710
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by klxmack View Post
Stefan Peirer will simply source those parts from the manufactures. The engine from rotax, the same for the electrics, suspension, brakes.

This is a very good deal for us Husky owners.

Cheers
ALL true .... except Pierer won't be sourcing motors from Rotax. He'll simply take over the contract from BMW and source the motors from Loncin where they are now built. BMW will "assign" the contract to Pierer as part of the deal, so Pierer will simply take BMW's place.

For anyone who cares to go back and dig ... you can see that KTM in the hands of Pierer has a fractious relationship with Rotax going back over a decade. They do not help each other, far as I know.

If Pierer is smart he'll continue things "status quo" as much as possible. This will give current customers confidence and bring in new ones. Drastic changes will sink the boat.

The same factory should be kept up and running in Italy. Same suppliers
should be contracted to continue supplying required parts. Best to keep the same bike in production for at least 3 years.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote