Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #1786
DirtyOldMan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,895
91 is about the best you can get around here. I've had no issues yet.
I just put premium in all my bikes and go. I figure the best I can get is the best I can do.

13 650 Terra

96 R1100R
DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #1787
300win
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanks for that, your 91 is actually the 95 RON recomended. Our 91 (RON) is actually ~87 on your index.
300win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:45 PM   #1788
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
My interpretation of Pierer's "wrong direction" remarks point more to the "Nuda 900" than any other Husky model. I'm convinced the "NEW" Husky company will not only support the current Terra/Strada bikes but will evolve them over time. I would not hesitate ... buy the Terra.
plus the TR provides a cheaper alternative to KTM very expensive 690. that's is the goal with Husky ownership and thus the intent of the bike will stay the same. the unknown variable will be what motor goes into a future TR.

what I want to know is what happens to the Baja/Moab version and designs?
obviously this deal was not a long planned out one and came together fast as BMW just showed that bike again at EICMA is think.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:27 AM   #1789
Chris 690R
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
I am looking forward to the 2014 Terra improved with an alloy swing arm and shed a few pounds!

Chris
Chris 690R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:01 AM   #1790
SCExpat
Ex-expat

Oddometer: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
plus the TR provides a cheaper alternative to KTM very expensive 690. that's is the goal with Husky ownership and thus the intent of the bike will stay the same. the unknown variable will be what motor goes into a future TR.

what I want to know is what happens to the Baja/Moab version and designs?
obviously this deal was not a long planned out one and came together fast as BMW just showed that bike again at EICMA is think.
I have been watching news about the Baja/Moab waiting for a production date or anything. I just got my hopes up when they stated a version of the Baja was going into production on their Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Husqva...34844529971194

Now....not sure if that is more or less likely to happen. If not the Terra will be next.
SCExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:03 AM   #1791
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,375
While we're all speculating, maybe the new Pierer Husqvarna will produce this retro concept?

On a serious note, I think I am going to hold squat for a bit and see how this all pans out. I wasn't planning on buying until I got back to the USA in June anyhow, but contemplated sending the wife to pick one up when this "crisis" came about. I suspect a tuned down version of the 690 engine might be in the foreseeable future.

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:10 AM   #1792
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,141
I am probably thinking WAY outside the box here.

The BMW/Rotax is a huge lump of an engine and not really the most modern.

While wondering what power plant they might use, I looked at what Bajaj produces.
Bajaj happens to build the Ninja 650 in conjunction with Kawasaki.
How much of the bike they build I am not sure.

The ninja engine is very compact, makes good power, has a nice 6 speed, an EFI & ECU system that does not require hook up to the BMW mothership
and has 26,000 mile valve service intervals.
The Terra has a perimeter frame that would work with the down draft style intakes on the Ninja engine.
Heck the more compact ninja engine may even allow for more fuel to be held.

The Terra seems to be a pretty good 410# bike.
A Terra with a ninja 650 power plant would probably still be pretty close to 410#.
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:44 AM   #1793
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 844
The big single has a better torque curve for adventure riders.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #1794
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Oddometer: 1,242
Ok, the stealership says my Terra should be in on the 15th. I have a few questions for people with Terra's in their garages already:
-is there a terra 650 owners thread yet? if so, where?
-What size are the bars? Can I install regular bark busters?
-How much did you guys pay for the pannier rack?
-Can I get the husky pannier rack and put on other hard bags?
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:04 AM   #1795
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
Questions

This thread contains the best information you'll find at this time. You could also try Cafe Husky..there's a TR650 section.
The bars are 7/8". Not sure on the length. A bunch of different "bark busters" will work I put Touratech on mine. They are same as BMW 650s I believe.
The pannier rack from Husky when available will probably be costly...I don't think it's available yet.
More and more mods out every day it seems.
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #1796
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre_fl View Post
I am probably thinking WAY outside the box here.

While wondering what power plant they might use, I looked at what Bajaj produces.
Bajaj happens to build the Ninja 650 in conjunction with Kawasaki.
How much of the bike they build I am not sure.

The ninja engine is very compact, makes good power, has a nice 6 speed, an EFI & ECU system that does not require hook up to the BMW mothership
and has 26,000 mile valve service intervals.
The Terra has a perimeter frame that would work with the down draft style intakes on the Ninja engine.
Heck the more compact ninja engine may even allow for more fuel to be held.

The Terra seems to be a pretty good 410# bike.
A Terra with a ninja 650 power plant would probably still be pretty close to 410#.
he said Husky strayed into street bikes and he did not like that. yes we would all love a multi-cyl i'm guessing it will remain a 650 class thumper.
Butler Maps website:
Old 02-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #1797
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
Ok, the stealership says my Terra should be in on the 15th. I have a few questions for people with Terra's in their garages already:
-is there a terra 650 owners thread yet? if so, where?
-What size are the bars? Can I install regular bark busters?
-How much did you guys pay for the pannier rack?
-Can I get the husky pannier rack and put on other hard bags?
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=850525
Butler Maps website:
Old 02-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #1798
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre_fl View Post
While wondering what power plant they might use, I looked at what Bajaj produces. Bajaj happens to build the Ninja 650 in conjunction with Kawasaki. How much of the bike they build I am not sure.
I'm not sure about what partnerships KHI (Kawasaki heavy industries) have in India, but, far as I know the Versys and Ninja 650 are both built in Thailand. KHI has been building bikes in Thailand for over a decade, most notable the KLR650. A friend bought a brand new Versys in Thailand. Good price on it there. It's a great motor but IMHO, would not replace a good modern 600cc class single as an ADV bike with off road pretensions.

I could see the 650 Ninja motor being good in a bigger, more road oriented bike, like the Nuda, which used the Rotax designed, Loncin built 800cc parallel twin.

The Rotax designed, Huskly modified, (Loncin built) single used in the Terra/Strada is long in the tooth. It's solid but heavy, tall and out of date. Modern KTM designs are easily 10 years ahead of any of these old Rotax designs. My guess is that MV/Husky engineers could design a FAR BETTER motor than the old Rotax lump.

OR ....
Look for an Indian built 650cc motor coming along to replace the Loncin motors. But it could be that Pierer works out an independent deal with the Chinese and would be able to take over the BMW contract.

There will definitely have to be a transition period if Loncin supplied motors are cut off ... at the very least.
So who knows? Nothing will happen instantly and Pierer will have to maintain current flow of motors and parts going to maintain current bikes.
In a year or two we may, or may not ... see changes.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:21 PM   #1799
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 844
[QUOTE=
The Rotax designed, Huskly modified, (Loncin built) single used in the Terra/Strada is long in the tooth. It's solid but heavy, tall and out of date. Modern KTM designs are easily 10 years ahead of any of these old Rotax designs. My guess is that MV/Husky engineers could design a FAR BETTER motor than the old Rotax lump.

[/QUOTE]

I wonder if that would be true. Many of the lighter engines are shorter-lived...I don't see many old KTM anythings around (I'm mostly a dirt guy so be kind). I've rebuilt scores of engines and the real weight is in the crank ass'y and tranny. You don't get something for nothing in the real world, and reducing crank mass and/or tranny gear sizes, bearings etc. may work in the short run but not long haul IMO. Most long haul riders like an engine with less vibration. I also don't see KTM as being so advanced..., frankly, the piston engine has not had much real innovation (in terms of mechanicals) since the early 20th century - which included overhead cams, high flow gas transfer, etc. The real advancements have been in metallurgy, which to the best of my knowledge, KTM does not have an edge over any other manufacturer. The slight engine height difference in some designs could not possibly be of significance for adventure riding - lowering the CG with fuel tank placement, etc. is much more productive. When Honda came out with their new engine design for the CRF250 I bought one - but later went back to Yamaha as the "old" engine design still put out better HP for my kind of riding...and guess what, the overall CG felt lower due to chassis refinements.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #1800
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawagumby View Post
I wonder if that would be true. Many of the lighter engines are shorter-lived...I don't see many old KTM anythings around (I'm mostly a dirt guy so be kind). I've rebuilt scores of engines and the real weight is in the crank ass'y and tranny. You don't get something for nothing in the real world, and reducing crank mass and/or tranny gear sizes, bearings etc. may work in the short run but not long haul IMO. Most long haul riders like an engine with less vibration. I also don't see KTM as being so advanced..., frankly, the piston engine has not had much real innovation (in terms of mechanicals) since the early 20th century - which included overhead cams, high flow gas transfer, etc. The real advancements have been in metallurgy, which to the best of my knowledge, KTM does not have an edge over any other manufacturer. The slight engine height difference in some designs could not possibly be of significance for adventure riding - lowering the CG with fuel tank placement, etc. is much more productive. When Honda came out with their new engine design for the CRF250 I bought one - but later went back to Yamaha as the "old" engine design still put out better HP for my kind of riding...and guess what, the overall CG felt lower due to chassis refinements.
Excellent points! (and ALL very true!)
It's true, KTM have been playing catch up in metallurgy. The Japanese are dominant there. My comments regards KTM had more to do with outright performance/HP ... not longevity.

I agree, for a ADV bike longevity is FAR more important ... and that's why I ride a DR650 with 50K miles on it.

But I think the original engineers who developed the 250/450/510 and 630
Husky motors in Italy, if given the time and money, could build a very good motor. What do you think?

Remember, when Husqvarna and MV were partnered MV's and Huskies were built on the same production lines. Also ... Ferrari designed the heads. So perhaps de-tune these just a bit ... make them 65K mile motors, quality chassis and suspension ... good to go?

I can see the justification for building high HP moto cross race bikes. They can be rebuilt every season ... or more. But for the Terra/Strada bikes they
need to do much better. Even if it means giving up a few ponies.
"To win the race ... you first must finish".
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote