Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #196
mxbundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
No, you're missing the point...they rebadged a BMW that they couldn't sell even during the boom years. It's a BMW and that offends those that love Husqvarna.

The 630 was neutered and over priced when BMW took over, it was the bike that got heavy and had short suspenders...do your homework.

My speed over ground would drop off with a 10 inch travel bike, my speed over ground with a fully loaded bike stayed fast with a 12 inch travel bike.

I would return to a KLR before I bought this BMW, it just doesn't make any sense to take on BMW problems like canbus, fuel injection and fuel pumps when a bike like the KLR exists.
Wow ok, then don't buy one. Simple as that. I am not hung up on who makes what, BMW this or that, its still a good motorcycle, if you do not like it fine. Fact is BMW bought Husqvarna, lock, stock and barrel, nothing you or I can do about it and its silly to be but hurt about it.
BMW is still selling these bikes, never stopped, so you need to check your facts.
Then you are the exception, not the norm, most guys just don't ride that fast, especially with a loaded down bike and especially the rider that would be interested in this bike in the first place.
But I guarantee you a good rider can haul the mail on this very bike.

Bundy

Check out http://seatconcepts.com/ , your ass will appreciate it!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621311
mxbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #197
sTE610vE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,961
I understand you point MXBundy, it really makes a difference where you live and what the terrain you have to ride on as to what your definition of "Dual Sport" is I thnk.

I live in the FlintHills of eastern Kansas, which literally has ten's of thousands of miles of gravel and dirt roads, most pretty smooth some not so much, and I venture to Arkansas and Colorado once or twice a year and hit varing terrain, almost we always stick to two track and find some big rocks and rough terrain sometimes. The TE630 is the perfect bike for it, with the engine, suspension, six speed tranny and the rest. The only thing i can see a Terra doing better than a 630 is maybe 70+ down a highway for hours on end loaded like a pack mule, which I can and do some of but try not to as a rule, we take gravel to get where we are going most of the time. It's easy in all these places to explore and find terrian that you didn't expect, and a really heavy bike is what you don't want. And I'm a veteran of 70's-80's mx myself but there is a reason that mx bikes now have more that 6 inches of travel and with the weight penalty of this 650 terra I just dont see it as a bike I want.

I tried so long to avoid this thread because I knew I would just get into this debate. Ok semi-rant over, just a different view of the world no hard feelings, you have a couple of my Trail Stands after all, how are they working out for you?

Cheers to all the riders who want a Terra 650, if we ever cross paths I'll buy ya a brew!
Cagiva Gran Canyon
sTE610vE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:32 PM   #198
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by sTE610vE View Post
Cheers to all the riders who want a Terra 650, if we ever cross paths I'll buy ya a brew!
Thank God... now back to the regularly scheduled program!
Old 09-25-2012, 12:43 PM   #199
mxbundy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sTE610vE View Post
I understand you point MXBundy, it really makes a difference where you live and what the terrain you have to ride on as to what your definition of "Dual Sport" is I thank.

I live in the FlintHills of eastern Kansas, which literally has ten's of thousands of miles of gravel and dirt roads, most pretty smooth some not so much, and I venture to Arkansas and Colorado once or twice a year and hit varing terrain, almost we always stick to two track and find some big rocks and rough terrain sometimes. The TE630 is the perfect bike for it, with the engine, suspension, six speed tranny and the rest. The only thing i can see a Terra doing better than a 630 is maybe 70+ down a highway for hours on end loaded like a pack mule, which I can and do some of but try not to as a rule, we take gravel to get where we are going most of the time. It's easy in all these places to explore and find terrain that you didn't expect, and a really heavy bike is what you don't want. And I'm a veteran of 70's-80's mx myself but there is a reason that mx bikes now have more that 6 inches of travel and with the weight penalty of this 650 terra I just don't see it as a bike I want.

I tried so long to avoid this thread because I knew I would just get into this debate. Ok semi-rant over, just a different view of the world no hard feelings, you have a couple of my Trail Stands after all, how are they working out for you?

Hard feelings? For what? I feel we just had a stimulating exchange of ideas! LOL!!
Same here on the brews!

Bundy

buy the way, I can only asume your stands work great! I carry it with me every where, BUT I havent had a flat since I got it. So hopefully I will never know just how good they are! LOL!!!

Old 09-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #200
SBG
Neville1 to TT boys

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
Rather than a platform to modify into a good adventure bike it seems more like they combined the worst of all dual sports into one bike.

Small gastank
Heavy
No wind protection
No attempt at even a plastic skid plate
Luggage looks to be difficult and expensive

It's kinda like if you took a XR650R and added 100 lbs without actually improving anything. Or maybe added power to a KLR but removed the fairings and made parts more expensive. Am I missing something?
I'm laughing because I agree with almost everything you wrote. Minimum fuel tank for this bike should have been 4 gallons. It's really a street bike. So much could have been done to chop weight, aluminum parts for starters, and one exhaust, however, it IS a street bike, and they are trying to make it look fancier with dual outs. With the weight of this bike, even a mini fairing like my old DR650 had would have made more sense, even though it's about worthless considering you only have 5" of screen.

I can't even fathom them not tossing a plastic skid plate on, regardless of people buying a better aluminum one. I wouldn't mind a cheap plastic one just to keep rocks from chipping the paint off the cases, and IN CASE I got a little adventurous off road. One rock and the cases are done.

I think the luggage is a none issue. It's personal preference when it comes down to how much crap someone wants to bring.

I think they went a little to short on suspension, but I suppose this IS a street bike. I'd say 9" minimum for adventure riding and to keep the cases from dragging, if they are going to drag.

SBG screwed with this post 09-25-2012 at 01:51 PM
SBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:11 PM   #201
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,732
Somebody would rather have a KLR? Have you looked at the specs for a post 2008 version? The husky is superior in everyway, except the size of the gas tank. Maybe for $1,000, Safarai can make a bigger one like the KTM 690.

Not off road enough for you, buy something else. You have plenty of options.

For somebody who just likes to smell the roses and not test my physical endurance, it makes perfect sense. I am tired of hoisting my 500lb multi in places, it should not be.

You have choices in the low weight, big suspension singles. A big jump to the 500lb multi's. I don't see any lighter twins on the horizon. It fits for me and probably a lot of others.

itsatdm screwed with this post 09-25-2012 at 02:43 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:19 PM   #202
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
Rather than a platform to modify into a good adventure bike it seems more like they combined the worst of all dual sports into one bike.

Small gastank
Heavy
No wind protection
No attempt at even a plastic skid plate
Luggage looks to be difficult and expensive

It's kinda like if you took a XR650R and added 100 lbs without actually improving anything. Or maybe added power to a KLR but removed the fairings and made parts more expensive. Am I missing something?
Yes, you forgot their desire to actually sell some units.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #203
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
No, you're missing the point...they rebadged a BMW that they couldn't sell even during the boom years. .
In the USA.

The RoTW does not even have the KLR650, and even if did, 35bhp is dicing with death on our faster roads (which you need to use to access the better riding).

Geez.

This bike is actually cheaper than a G650GS where I live (Europe).

I could see me and my son, in 5-6 years time, doing a trip of a lifetime on these bikes across our continent.

The only bike that comes close to that aspiration in terms of total-cost & utility is the 660 Tenere, and this Husky looks way better.

So there
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #204
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,025
It's hard to argue with BMW's logic on this bike. It provides a lot and appears to be a significant improvement over the Sertao at a good price point. There are way more riders interested in a mid-priced, well performing, competent motorcycle than there are in high-priced, high-performance bikes. I haven't checked the numbers but on a worldwide basis I'd guess bikes in the DR/Sertao/KLR category are the sweet spot for market share. It is a great business decision for BMW/Husky. The only way this bike fails is when one considers what it might have been instead of what it delivers for the price.

That doesn't keep me from hating BMW (and KTM) for not making the bike I want. My hopes were dashed when news started leaking about Husky's tame future. Give me loads of usable HP. Give me a top notch suspension. Give me the lightest motorcycle possible with extended service intervals, decent electrical output, and the ability to haul a 35 pound load. I'll toss on a small windscreen and GiantLoop and go see the world. Give me the bike that the 690 should have been with a wide ratio 6-speed, reasonable turning radius, and an ass that doesn't fall off when the tank bolts fail.

When the 630 came out it looked like BMW was on their way to go toe-to-toe with KTM and come out on top. I couldn't wait for the next generation. Beat those Austrian bastards at their own game! BMW would have lost plenty of money trying to sell the thing to such a small niche but it would have been great for their image and a few of us riders. Instead BMW went for the profitable middle of the market leaving the few riders like me wanting something more out in the cold.

I'll just have to keep servicing my 640 until something better finally comes along.
Sparrowhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #205
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,466
Look, I totally understand people's disappointment with the loss of the 610/630. But just because the 630 is gone at the same time as the 650 appears doesn't mean it is a replacement. It is a new bike targeting a different demographic. That demographic is people inclined to buy KLRs and G650s, which is a pretty sizeable demographic in the dualsport world.

Most people riding 610/630s likely never considered a KLR or a G650GS. They more likely considered something like a G650X or KTM. Which happens to be a smaller demographic than the KLR/G650GS crowd.

So if you want a single cylinder "adventure bike" geared more toward the dirt, which would you choose? Given the competition, I would take this over either the KLR or the BMW - no contest. You could spend a lot of money upgrading a DR650, but other than reliability, you won't have anything near as nice.

If you're looking for a TE630/610 replacement - sorry, they're gone. Yes it sucks, but it really has nothing to do with the Terra, or the Nuda, or the alignment of the stars. It was targeted for a different demographic that Husky/BMW doesn't feel like targeting anymore. And frankly, I don't like that, but I understand it from their business perspective.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #206
SBG
Neville1 to TT boys

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post
The only bike that comes close to that aspiration in terms of total-cost & utility is the 660 Tenere, and this Husky looks way better.
I agree about the looks 100%. I don't even know what the hell people are talking about when they look at the new tenere bikes. They are both ugly and just seem to have parts thrown on or left off completely, like side covers. Looks like they stole the playbook from some ugly BMW designers there. The original dirtbike style Tenere's were the best looking, and more like something I'd want to buy, not these insect looking things.

This thing looks like someone just threw parts at it and bolted them on. I've seen some with a high fender kit, and they look better, but barely.

SBG screwed with this post 09-26-2012 at 07:44 AM
SBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:01 PM   #207
netteb16
hangersoutters

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
Look, I totally understand people's disappointment with the loss of the 610/630. But just because the 630 is gone at the same time as the 650 appears doesn't mean it is a replacement. It is a new bike targeting a different demographic. That demographic is people inclined to buy KLRs and G650s, which is a pretty sizeable demographic in the dualsport world.

Most people riding 610/630s likely never considered a KLR or a G650GS. They more likely considered something like a G650X or KTM. Which happens to be a smaller demographic than the KLR/G650GS crowd.

So if you want a single cylinder "adventure bike" geared more toward the dirt, which would you choose? Given the competition, I would take this over either the KLR or the BMW - no contest. You could spend a lot of money upgrading a DR650, but other than reliability, you won't have anything near as nice.

If you're looking for a TE630/610 replacement - sorry, they're gone. Yes it sucks, but it really has nothing to do with the Terra, or the Nuda, or the alignment of the stars. It was targeted for a different demographic that Husky/BMW doesn't feel like targeting anymore. And frankly, I don't like that, but I understand it from their business perspective.
Great post.
netteb16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:30 PM   #208
mxbundy
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBG View Post
I agree about the looks 100%. I don't even know what the hell people are talking about when they look at the new tenere bikes. They are both ugly and just seem to have parts thrown on or left off completely, like side covers. Looks like they stole the playbook from some ugly BMW designers there. The original dirt bike style Tenere's were the best looking, and more like something I'd want to buy, not these insect looking things.

This thing looks liek someone just threw parts at it and bolted them on. I've seen some with a high fender kit, and they look better, but barely.
I agree the old Tenere looks good, but I also like the looks of the new one too!
I wouldn't throw it out of bed for eating crackers!
The old one must have been a bear to corner though, there is no way you get forward and weight the front end for a tight corner with that big old tank in the way.

Bundy

Old 09-25-2012, 09:18 PM   #209
AltRoute
AltRoute

Oddometer: 281
Sorry I didn't get all that - all I heard was . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBG View Post
I something bllaa bllaaa 100%.bllaaaaa blllaaaaaa blaaaa new tenere . blllaaaaa blaaa blaaa blaaa , like side covers. blaaa blaaa bllaaa ugly BMW blaaaaa bllaaaa blaaa blaaa dirtbike style Tenere's were the best looking, and more like something I'd want to buy, blaaa blaaaa blaaaaa

(old bike picture )

(old bike picture)

This thing looks like someone blaaaa blaaa blaaa . I've seen some with a high fender kit, and they look better,blaaaaa blaaaa

sorry, you might guess I like it if they were on sale I would just buy it - I wouldn't even ask - I would just buy -
But since Yamaha can't seem to pull there heads out of there blaaa blaa blaaaaa - The TR650 is next on my list
It has been said many many many many many . . . times - I want a bike that can commute and take off down some small off road sections and HAS A SEAT HEIGHT UNDER 36 INCHES
When I am rich an famous and have maids looking after the wife and kids then I might get back into riding the enduro KTM's and Husq's of this world - but for now I'll take my chances on the nice looking, fuel injected, great MPG's, 200+ miles per tank - not mid 80's engineered engine TR650 - ooohhhh forgot to mention - CHEAP - come on $7000 - my old 950 adv cost that much used - really really used

All I am saying is I believe there is a good market out there for them - and I am in that market -

AltRoute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:31 AM   #210
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,471
Please pardon the interuption but... doesn't Rekluse make an auto-clutch for the Rotax 650 engine? That's going to help the off-roadability of TR a good bit. I sure hope it fits. The more I look into this bike the more I like it.
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote