Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 08:22 PM   #2296
Helipup
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
Sure, I can measure the cut-out and post the dimensions.

It takes a fair amount of effort to shape it correctly. I used a bench vise and a mallet. And a lot of grunting.
I can handle on beating on things, just no sense in re-inventing the wheel if someone else can draw it for me.
Helipup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:29 AM   #2297
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,249
Thanks to the Mod that fixed that. Why does Mediocre insist on posting random videos in every Husky thread out there? He's like the Youtube spammer.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #2298
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Thanks to the Mod that fixed that. Why does Mediocre insist on posting random videos in every Husky thread out there? He's like the Youtube spammer.
No shit. He's in Australia... you'd think he would have something better to do like surf, drink crap beer or wander in the outback and talk funny.

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #2299
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,207
OK. I'm just about finished with the 3-4 projects I've been doing to the Terra the past week.

1. Vinyl wrap to change it from the red/black theme
2. LED ADV Monster model 60 lights
3. Pirelli Scorpion tires
4. Aluminum rock/debris deflector

Why vinyl wrap? I already have a black and red bike that is somewhat peeved I brought another red/black bike home:

Vinyl is cheaper than spray paint, and its not permanent. If I don't like it, I can just peel it off. Plus it protects the original surface from scratches (laying the bike over, rocks, wrenches, etc), is easy to fix (just put on another sticker), is rated for 9 years in the sun and its different.

New tires... we'll see how these Pirelli Scorpions hold up. I'm concerned with the amount of empty space between the lugs being prone to mesquite thorn punctures. I may go with a Kenda Big Block for the next rear tire.

Notice I still have the paper plates... I need to register this thing eventually.

I also installed these 'ADV Monster' Model 60 LED lights. I don't know who really manufactures these, but some 'ADV Monster' guy sells them. They are expensive as hell, but worth every penny. I wish I could find out who really makes these... Thanks to Big Dog for the mounting idea:

My aluminum rock deflector... I like the brushed look for now, but it may get painted or wrapped with black vinyl soon:

The Terra in its natural terrain, surrounded by death and dismay... notice the carcass of a KLR650 laying in the foreground and off to the far right an ill fated DR650. Yes, the Terra is the top of its food chain, thanks to fuel injection.

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #2300
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
looks good RE!
sdd04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:27 AM   #2301
Muddler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
No shit. He's in Australia... you'd think he would have something better to do like surf, drink crap beer or wander in the outback and talk funny.
Whoa there Mr sloppy bags, Aus beer shits all over yours!!
Well except for XXXX that is. That stuffs been drunk twice
Muddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:27 AM   #2302
Revolutions
Revs

Oddometer: 15
Terra Stability issues

Terra's over here in Aus are having issues of bad head shake when non standard front tyres are fitted. When fitted with a non standard front tyre, and when the speed approaches 130kph the bike begins to weave noticeably, any increase in speed has a proportional increase in sphincter clench, in a word, it's scary, you really believe that the bike might spit you off!! Change back to the original fitment front tyre and the speed at which the hear shake occurs is raised by 10-15kph....!? The problem is complex and an easy fix unlikely, higher tyre pressures do have some beneficial effect, but changing the fork tubes location in the triple clamps or raising/lowering the rear suspension make no improvement at all. Lack of stiffness in the frame or forks or just plain head geometry might be the problem?
Revolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:35 AM   #2303
Chuffa
TR650 Terra

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutions View Post

Terra's over here in Aus are having issues of bad head shake when non standard front tyres are fitted.

I've got a suspicion that the front rim not as good as the rest of the bike. I just had my 10k km service today & changed to MT21's at the same time. My dealer did say that they had a bit of difficulty getting the balancing right and asked me if it had taken a big hit. It hasn't ! If guys are doing their own changes then this might be an issue.

The knobblie certainly made the bike different to ride on the way home. Speed test tomorrow.
Chuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:48 AM   #2304
vavoom
n00b

Oddometer: 3
husky

I purchased the 650 T R a few months back - traded it in for the BMW 650 sertao little bit more in cost but much more enjoyable ride - carful with the tale end on the TR it is a bad design & will hit the tire as a result busting the tale end off, unlike the BMW where the body is lengthen past the back tire for clearance
vavoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:07 AM   #2305
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,657
Quote:

Terra's over here in Aus are having issues of bad head shake when non standard front tyres are fitted. When fitted with a non standard front tyre, and when the speed approaches 130kph the bike begins to weave noticeably, any increase in speed has a proportional increase in sphincter clench, in a word, it's scary, you really believe that the bike might spit you off!! Change back to the original fitment front tyre and the speed at which the hear shake occurs is raised by 10-15kph....!? The problem is complex and an easy fix unlikely, higher tyre pressures do have some beneficial effect, but changing the fork tubes location in the triple clamps or raising/lowering the rear suspension make no improvement at all. Lack of stiffness in the frame or forks or just plain head geometry might be the problem?
Try riding it without the front fender in place. Just take it off then head out and see what happens. Get back to us with the results.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #2306
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:

Interesting findings for sure. But to be fair ... nearly every dual sport bike I've owned have tended to have a weave at high speeds on pavement. None ever went tank slapper however ... but it does get your attention.

'87 XL600
'92 XR600 (Baja kit)
'93 XR650L
'97 XR400 (Baja kit)
'98 KLR650
'00 KTM 640E
'06 DR650

Most all the above bikes (all with 21" front wheel) would have a slight weave starting around 75 mph and above. My XR400 would only go 80 flat out ... and it had a WER Steering damper, so it doesn't figure in this.

Tires always affect the weave. But I've found on some of those bikes, raising the rear up a bit helped a bit. My current DR can get a light weave at around 90 mph ... I just relax my grip, no problems.

If the Terra truly tank slaps ... then the issue needs to be figured out.
Anyone else feel any weaving at high speed?
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:17 AM   #2307
Harder1
braaaap!

Oddometer: 55
I have a slight (normal to me) weave at 80+ mph. I'm running MT21's and I balanced my wheels at home.
Harder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #2308
farp
DualsportBC Rider

Oddometer: 60
I had my terra up to 163 kph (101 mph) and there was no sign of a weave, or any uncertainty in terms of steering, wheel balance, or anything else. If there was I'd never have gone that fast. I'm still using the OEM Saharas on it so the situation might change when I switch to a more aggressive tread. I frequently run it up to 130 to 140 kph (80 to 85 mph) and have never experienced anything of concern.

John
farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #2309
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,914
anyone having balance issues running a rim lock?

if so, give the Motion Pro lightweight rim locks a shot - they're half the weight (twice the price )....I've used them on many dualsported offroad bikes with great results.
It's a lot easier to balance the wheel with them.

I also like the fender suggestion - it looks like it catches some air and could induce a wiggle at 80 mph
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:59 PM   #2310
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Weave on me

My Strada will weave a bit at higher speeds...I can induce it somewhat by the way I sit on the bike and how I hold the bars. I reckon it's in the suspension/frame somewhere as the Strada has a 19" front and low fender...but I know....it's there at higher speeds. Just gotta pay some attention...it's not awful...I can live with it. If you are in a turn working the bike it seems much more solid IMHO than it does straight up without any kind of load on the suspension. I fooled with the rear preload ...didn't seem to make any difference. Going to experiment with tire pressure too...can't hurt.

One thing though..my fender is low so it catches little to no air. I reckon it's caused by something else.
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote