Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #2476
rride
Honda NH 750

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
I ride my TR an hour to work every day, 25 miles on dirt country roads and 25 miles on pavement. Often the temp is in the high 20's/low 30's. I wear thermals, a jacket and some gloves, and snow pants if the temp gets below 25. Still don't see why a windshield is necessary.

HUH? WHAT DID YOU SAY?

Don't forget about wind noise deafness. It's not rocket science. It's the number one reason. Number 2 is body fatigue on long hauls. Number 3, when it's raining, is not to get soaked like you pee'd in your pants. And there are several more.

Do you knock out your windshield on your convertible, or even regular car? Kind of ridiculous isn't it?

But I can see off road it would just be dead weight waiting to be broke. But off roading in US is mostly for images to sell bikes and they ride on the road most of the time (if they are old enough to have a license). ymmv
rride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:33 PM   #2477
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Motosportz, B&B, SW-Motech, Touratech and Ricochet have plates in production now. There shouldn't be a wait unless you are holding out for Happy Trails or Altrider.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
SW-MOYECH has tons of stuff for the TR650 : http://www.twistedthrottle.com/shop-...tr650-terra-13

Kev
Old 05-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #2478
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128

Help us please!

Hey Rugged Ex ... sure you don't want to go back to talking Husky's future?

Hey RR,
Actually it IS Rocket Science.
Fact is, you're more likely to have hearing damage with a shield than without. Maybe a Gold Wing will have a truly quiet shield, but not many bikes are that quiet.

Without a shield you generally are in CLEAN AIR. No buffeting. With a nice quiet helmet, you're better off wind noise wise.

FYI : its low frequency wind rumble (near sub audible) that damages Scilia hairs around your ear drum, and oscillates ear drum. Not good. First you lose ability to hear high frequencies ... then becomes hard to understand conversation in noisy places. Ear plugs protect you.

What the HELL is a NH 750?
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:52 PM   #2479
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by rride View Post
HUH? WHAT DID YOU SAY?

Don't forget about wind noise deafness. It's not rocket science. It's the number one reason. Number 2 is body fatigue on long hauls. Number 3, when it's raining, is not to get soaked like you pee'd in your pants. And there are several more.

Do you knock out your windshield on your convertible, or even regular car? Kind of ridiculous isn't it?

But I can see off road it would just be dead weight waiting to be broke. But off roading in US is mostly for images to sell bikes and they ride on the road most of the time (if they are old enough to have a license). ymmv
Ear plugs on the road take care of any wind or road noise.... that doesn't require rocket science to figure out either.

All my riding gear is waterproof, and a little windscreen isn't going to stop that anyway. Most soaking while riding in the rain is going to be from the waist down.

You're wasting your breath trying to convince people that body fatigue on long hauls is an issue... maybe it is for you, but not for folks who do a lot of miles a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
The mighty Nighthawk 750

I think he and JerryH must be related
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:53 PM   #2480
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Oddometer: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongbad View Post
That would explain it. 50mph average speed for only an hour.
I average 65-70. The dirt roads get graded 2-3 times a year so you can do a decent speed on them.
That comes out to 2 hr/s day, 10/week. I spend more time on my bike than most. Probably why I'm working on 5k miles and I bought the bike in the latter part of February.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rride View Post
HUH? WHAT DID YOU SAY?

It doesn't rain here, so I can maybe see that. But the windshield is not going to protect you too much. When it does rain down here it seems like only the bottom half of my pants get soaked.

Doesn't your helmet protect your ears enough from the wind noise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post

Help us please!

Hey Rugged Ex ... sure you don't want to go back to talking Husky's future?

Hey RR,
Actually it IS Rocket Science.
Fact is, you're more likely to have hearing damage with a shield than without. Maybe a Gold Wing will have a truly quiet shield, but not many bikes are that quiet.

Without a shield you generally are in CLEAN AIR. No buffeting. With a nice quiet helmet, you're better off wind noise wise.

FYI : its low frequency wind rumble (near sub audible) that damages Scilia hairs around your ear drum, and oscillates ear drum. Not good. First you lose ability to hear high frequencies ... then becomes hard to understand conversation in noisy places. Ear plugs protect you.

Sweet gentle Jesus no, please don't bring up the politics of KTM's future with the Husky label.

Good points brought up.
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:03 PM   #2481
rride
Honda NH 750

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
Ear plugs on the road take care of any wind or road noise.... that doesn't require rocket science to figure out either.

All my riding gear is waterproof, and a little windscreen isn't going to stop that anyway. Most soaking while riding in the rain is going to be from the waist down.

You're wasting your breath trying to convince people that body fatigue on long hauls is an issue... maybe it is for you, but not for folks who do a lot of miles a year.

The mighty Nighthawk 750

I think he and JerryH must be related
I have unfortunately have tinitis from being an US Army Armorer, have worked in 140 db aluminum foundry (140 degrees and 1200 degree aluminum splatters flying), and I currently wear the max twist foam ear plugs all the time generally. They only knock off the top 20 db, no more. Anyone knows who rides bikes on the street that the noise comes from the HELMET visor. Keep that visor from the direct jetstream and it is magic quiet (by ducking or laying on gas tank).

I use my bike as transportation and wear a riding jacke and boots. I don't like crottch rot, so I forgo the pants. I have about 100 lbs of books, computers, and even carry paper waterproof pants in case it does rain in LA, CA. But there are spirinkles now and then, and I am untouched virtually due to my shield.

Do EVERY weekend 1200 mile runs in 26 hours (average 75 mph including gas stops while travelling) and tell me wind fatigue does not matter. I think the people who do the miles have voiced in that it does matter. And the screen does provide better gas mileage.

Yes, I have a $2000 great commuter when my car broke down and glad to have it. I also have a BMW F650 ST that is your's granddaddy, as well as have had all the big BMW's before I got the ST. As an engineer and a student physician, I am amazed by your knowledge: just not impressed though.

rride screwed with this post 05-03-2013 at 11:49 PM
rride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:48 AM   #2482
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Oddometer: 408
There has been more and more research the past few years on lower-frequency noise created by vibrations of wind, and vibrations conducted by the body right up into the ear via bone by the engine and exhaust. This noise cannot be stopped by earplugs or helmets, so it is critical to reduce felt vibrations from turbulent air and/or the bike. It is disappointing that after putting in my S-plugs and donning the silk balaclava and the Scorpion, even though I can't hear myself snap fingers, apparently I am still exposing myself daily to chronic amounts of body-conducted sound waves, about which we can currently do nothing. I know at 85 my R1150R is not as smooth as an ST by any means, and the time may come when I need to consider trade-offs. I deal with a/v resources every day at work where I have noise-cancelling headphones as well as large wattage setups in order to make use of clean, low-volume sound, and it is frustrating to know there is no answer yet about the low-frequency exposure except for possibly reducing felt vibration and buffeting around the helmet jawline, etc. This is one article that is illustrating research in the area. Did someone say something?

http://www.insidescience.org/content...orcyclists/714
Old 05-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #2483
Surfinpig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedthrottle View Post
SW-MOYECH has tons of stuff for the TR650 : http://www.twistedthrottle.com/shop-...tr650-terra-13

Kev
Everything from everyone as far as skid plates are on back order with a June date, maybe. If anyone can find a plate I can have by next week please let me know.
Surfinpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:30 PM   #2484
Tourniquet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
some decent dirt riding

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b90m1AiOuAc

pretty good off road clip
Tourniquet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:06 PM   #2485
xaman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourniquet View Post

Very nice
xaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:29 PM   #2486
hansi
Teurer Abenteurer

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfinpig View Post
Everything from everyone as far as skid plates are on back order with a June date, maybe. If anyone can find a plate I can have by next week please let me know.
How about these guys?
http://http://www.ricochetoffroad.co...e/page484.html
[/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-05-2013, 08:21 AM   #2487
thumper477
retired but not dead yet

Oddometer: 42
Picked up my new Terra yesterday

My hat is off to the crew at Eurosport in Asheville,NC.This was my first purchase there and from start to finish it was an excellent experience.I have no concerns about them "being there" for me if any issues arise with the bike.The Husky accessory skid plate(yes,they were able to get me one)looks and fits perfectly and looks plenty strong.They re-flashed the computer with the Moss tool and road tested the bike for 14 miles to make sure it ran ok(it does!).Bike feels very light and "flickable" for a 650.Ergos are just right for my 5'10"-250 lb size and there is no problem touching the ground when stopped.If you are thinking of getting one of these but are undecided,ride one,you will be hooked.Raining and 50 degrees here in e.Tennessee this AM.Thats why I am here and not out riding.

thumper477 screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 04:29 PM
thumper477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:38 AM   #2488
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper477 View Post
My hat is off to the crew at Eurosport in Asheville,NC.This was my first purchase there and from start to finish it was an excellent experience.I have no concerns about them "being there" for me if any issues arise with the bike.The Husky accessory skid plate(yes,they were able to get me one)looks and fits perfectly and looks plenty strong.They re-flashed the computer with the Moss tool and road tested the bike for 14 miles to make sure it ran ok(it does!).Bike feels very light and "flickable" for a 650.Ergos are just right for my 5'10"-250 lb size and there is no problem touching the ground when stopped.If you are thinking of getting one of these but are undecided,ride one,you will be hooked.Raining ad 50 degrees here in e.Tennessee this AM.Thats why I am here and not out riding.
Grats on the new ride!
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #2489
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Plus 1 on Euroort Asheville

Eurosport Asheville is a great choice for anyone considering a Husky. In Knoxville we don't even have a BMW dealer anymore....our choice is either go south to Chattnooga ..(pandoras) or Eurosport in Asheville. Between those only Asheville is a H dealer.

I believe Eurosport would be glad/willing to help a TR owner get their bike running right even if you didn't purchase from them. Justin @ Eurosport told me he thought they'd sold more than 25 TRs...so they have a good understanding of how the "Moss" thing works.

One day before long these bikes will be gone from the dealers floor and only available used. Get one while you can. I ride the Pi$$ out of mine and like it more all the time. I have delt with a bunch of dealers & Eurosport seems to be one of us.
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #2490
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperj View Post
Eurosport Asheville is a great choice for anyone considering a Husky. In Knoxville we don't even have a BMW dealer anymore....our choice is either go south to Chattnooga ..(pandoras) or Eurosport in Asheville. Between those only Asheville is a H dealer.

I believe Eurosport would be glad/willing to help a TR owner get their bike running right even if you didn't purchase from them. Justin @ Eurosport told me he thought they'd sold more than 25 TRs...so they have a good understanding of how the "Moss" thing works.

One day before long these bikes will be gone from the dealers floor and only available used. Get one while you can. I ride the Pi$$ out of mine and like it more all the time. I have delt with a bunch of dealers & Eurosport seems to be one of us.
Last year while traveling on my K1200GT a valve stem developed a leak. The guys at Europesport had me back on the road in no time at all. great people there!

Are they participating in the discount program Husky is offering?The dealer in Daytona is not, he says it optional.

Regards, Paul