Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 11:15 PM   #241
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtrain View Post
Do we know for sure if it does in fact have only 190mm(7.5 inches) of suspension travel?
The Sertao has 8.3 inches - thought I read the Terra has 7.5.

I think many contributing here are still considering this as a 630 replacement. I see it as a traveling bike, something you can tour on reasonably comfortable on the tarmac with dirt road intentions, not the single track stuff.
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:28 PM   #242
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtrain View Post
Do we know for sure if it does in fact have only 190mm(7.5 inches) of suspension travel?
That's what they claim in the specs so it's probably less...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:37 PM   #243
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by big-t View Post
Got to ride it today..........around the parking lot...

Great looking bike,Me likey...

...and you can even get to the sparkplug

I want one....
[img]
Thanks for posting the pics!
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:38 PM   #244
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,003
Need advice hoe to fix a oil leak.

I need advice on a way to fix a oil leak. On the clutch side of the engine I have a oil leak. Its leaking from the bottom of a bolt. If your looking at the engine its the bolt where its says RFVC on the engine. I don't how to post up picture so can someone post one up for me? Thanks guys
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:43 PM   #245
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,003
Need advice how to fix a oil leak.

I need advice on a way to fix a oil leak. On the clutch side of the engine I have a oil leak. Its leaking from the bottom of a bolt. If your looking at the engine its the bolt where its says RFVC on the engine. I don't how to post up picture so can someone post one up for me? Thanks guys
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:42 AM   #246
Ditch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,052
...and you can even get to the sparkplug

Both of them?
Old 09-29-2012, 08:13 AM   #247
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt10x View Post

For those of you lamenting the demise of the Husky 600 series.. what exactly could a Husky 610/630 do that a new KTM 500 cant?
Honest answer to an honest question... probably a lot more could be said but here are the big things I see in the order that I care about them.

1. Go tens of thousands of miles before it dies.
2. Go thousands of miles without checking the valves or needing to fuss over it.
3. Carry more weight on the back - either luggage or passenger.
4. Power more electrical items.

On the flip side there is of course a whole lot the KTM 500 can do better than the old Husky 6xx series.

Those first 2 items really are a big difference. Where as the KTM 500 may have 10% more power, and weigh 15% less than the Husky 610 (granted that is HUGE!), the Husky 610 has 500% longer maintenance intervals and possibly a 1000% longer lifespan than the 500 EXC.

I just had a random thought about reliability and gas mileage. Some complain that the Terra's tank is so much smaller than the KLR. However (according to the manufacturer) the Husky's mileage is so much better than the KLR's that it almost has the same range. Yet some people can't see past the small tank. I for one am all for a bike that has a tank 1/2 the size of its competitor if it can go just as far!

In the same way when manufacturers are exploring new dual sport models many complain that the projected $ is too high. By the same token if a manufacturer can put out an awesome dual sport (I'm not saying this is it ) that costs twice as much as the competitors BUT reliably goes 4X as far...

...unless your planning on giving up dirt bike riding for New Years, that's a HUGE savings + you're riding around 4X longer on a cooler bike!

rickypanecatyl screwed with this post 09-29-2012 at 08:17 AM Reason: Had the grammar of a ESL student smoking dope!
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:33 AM   #248
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
Honest answer to an honest question... probably a lot more could be said but here are the big things I see in the order that I care about them.

1. Go tens of thousands of miles before it dies.
2. Go thousands of miles without checking the valves or needing to fuss over it.
3. Carry more weight on the back - either luggage or passenger.
4. Power more electrical items.

On the flip side there is of course a whole lot the KTM 500 can do better than the old Husky 6xx series.

Those first 2 items really are a big difference. Where as the KTM 500 may have 10% more power, and weigh 15% less than the Husky 610 (granted that is HUGE!), the Husky 610 has 500% longer maintenance intervals and possibly a 1000% longer lifespan than the 500 EXC.

I just had a random thought about reliability and gas mileage. Some complain that the Terra's tank is so much smaller than the KLR. However (according to the manufacturer) the Husky's mileage is so much better than the KLR's that it almost has the same range. Yet some people can't see past the small tank. I for one am all for a bike that has a tank 1/2 the size of its competitor if it can go just as far!

In the same way when manufacturers are exploring new dual sport models many complain that the projected $ is too high. By the same token if a manufacturer can put out an awesome dual sport (I'm not saying this is it ) that costs twice as much as the competitors BUT reliably goes 4X as far...

...unless your planning on giving up dirt bike riding for New Years, that's a HUGE savings + you're riding around 4X longer on a cooler bike!
It was an honest question and I thank you for the answer.. I was under the mistaken understanding that the Husky 600's had the same kind of maint schedule as the other Euro high performance engines. So a 610/630 could go 3-5k between oil changes? How much oil did they carry? Probably information I could find over in a thread.. but I always wondered why the Husky wasnt used as a platform for long distance enduro riding like people are using the G650x, the 690.. or maybe they do and I am just clueless...

I will say that I would have been very happy with the BMW engine stuffed in to the old Husky frame and suspension, kept around 330 lbs.. that is what they should have built.. IMHO

mrt10x screwed with this post 09-29-2012 at 08:40 AM
mrt10x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #249
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,319
Range...

The KLR 650 has a 6.1 gallon tank and a 250-275 mile range. Are you sure that the new Huskies can go 250 miles with the stock tank? Somehow, I don't think the mileage will be that high unless it is street only at moderate speeds.

Husky has European tunnel vision wrt tank size. Until you go to the GSA, so does BMW. Even with outstanding MPG on the F800S/ST, the 4.1 gallon tank is too small for touring the western USA. Everything in Europe is so close together, the natives there just don't get it. One inmate here toured the Husky factory in Italy explained this in no uncertain terms to a forman. He looked at the American like he was from Mars. Not only don't they get it, you can't explain it to them. I've always wanted to drop them into Utah on a bike with a small tank and tell them to pick a direction and ride out. It will take a life threatening experience to break through their myopathy.

On DS and Adv bikes, there is no excuse for not putting large (18 - 25 liter) tanks on at the factory [or offering a larger factory tank as an option]. Leaving it to the aftermarket to decide which bikes are or are not worthy of a bigger tank is ludicrous. Cases in point: XT225 didn't get a bigger tank until after it was discontinued. KL-250 Super Sherpa still doesn't have one. Safari tank for the WR-250R is too small. Only the DR650 and XR650R have truly generous choices. KTM does it right - they make factory tanks in various sizes available in their parts catalog.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #250
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,733
I don't think this bike will get near 250mile range. Husky lists expected fuel use at 62mph and it works out to 199 to empty. In real life probably closer to 170 on a good day of hard use.

I agree with the why don't they have larger tanks? In the western US I have found areas in Nevada, Utah and Idaho where the service stations are 200 miles apart on pavement.

Another quibble is the dual exhausts, I am sure one contains the catalytic converter, so just lopping one off may not be that easy.

Still there is a solution to every problem.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #251
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,471
It won't take the aftermarket long to come up with exhaust systems for this bike. The big Euro manufacturers probably already have stuff in the works. If not, I plan on lopping one off. When I look at this bike, it looks like it should be lighter than it is. That steel frame, subframe and swingarm must be heavy-duty (but hopefully and thankfully, built to last). This is my next bike. I see lots of room for improvement and reduction. The fuel capacity doesn't bother me, much. A couple of extra containers of fuel could ride happily on a set of panniers.

Someone point Ben in the right direction!
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:30 PM   #252
smokeeater495
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunkster View Post
MSRP of $6999???!!!!! Sign me up!! Bye bye wee!! (been wanting a more offroadable DS bike for some time now)...liking everything i'm reading so far on this bike!!
Has this price been confirmed?
Old 09-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #253
SamM
Jeep Overlander

big-t reported $6500 for the one he just looked at. In this economy, I'd said they'll be fortunate to get that. I'm going to show up with cash and haggle the best deal that I can get.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:04 PM   #254
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,470
Although I consider 200 miles per tank to be sort of the magic number, the tank size on the Husky is pretty impressive to me. Range isn't as good as a KLR, but a lot better than a DR or XR-L. Touring on a single, I'd be more than happy to stop every 180 miles/3 hours. And while I realize there are a few places out West that require a 200 mile range, how many people will ever truly need 200+ miles. I have a bigger issue with it when I commute, having to get gas every other day.

My fuel light goes on at about 110 miles on my X-Challenge. I have a 1.1 gal KTM aux. tank I'm rigging up. It won't give me 200 miles, but it will give me about 180 miles, a.k.a "good enough." This Husky gives you that right out of the box. Sure, it could be better, but it's a pretty small nit to pick in my book.

Given the price point and already hefty weight, it looks to be decent compromise to me.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:31 PM   #255
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Wow, the passenger pegs are not removeable. That's a bummer. I guess I"ll have to cut them off.