Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #2536
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Pure Genius!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rride View Post
There is no way the rice burner can hold anything close to a KTM OR the Husky Terra. The Husky is the ultimate reliable built engine, bar none. Tell the rice burner to tell it to his followers who believe him. It is pure bs. It is not faster NOR more reliable than a Terra: period.
I think we've found a real genius here ... and he's SO SURE OF HIMSELF! Imagine what he'll do when he sobers up!

Hey Rugged Exposure ... sure you don't want to go back to theorizing on KTM/Husky future? Honestly mate, brings a better class of people. (with IQ's over 60! )
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #2537
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I think we've found a real genius here ... and he's SO SURE OF HIMSELF! Imagine what he'll do when he sobers up!

Hey Rugged Exposure ... sure you don't want to go back to theorizing on KTM/Husky future? Honestly mate, brings a better class of people. (with IQ's over 60! )

Arggh! I'd rather deal with this goofiness than the political theories guessing which way Pierrer will go, the outcome of the TR, and which hand he uses to rub one out.

This is at least entertaining to a point.

Why are there only a few of us posting pictures of our bikes? Did Husky only sell 3 of them?

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #2538
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalRob View Post
Interesting. I found the following HP/Torque figures for the KTM (2012):

62 HP / 47.2 ft.lbs. torque, at 6,000 rpm
Are you sure those numbers are for 2012? They are about what KTM claimed for the 2008 - 2011. Those 690's were actually 654 cc. From 2012 on, the motor size is actually 690 cc (increased stroke) and KTM claims about 70 HP for those newer motors. They newer motors are noticeably stronger.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #2539
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre_fl View Post
It just a HUGE lump of an engine and when hung in a cheaper steel frame with a steel swing arm you get a 400# bike.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #2540
rride
Honda NH 750

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre_fl View Post
This is true.

BMW tried to make a bike with this engine around 350# in the G650X and in today's money it would cost $10,500 or more.

It just a HUGE lump of an engine and when hung in a cheaper steel frame with a steel swing arm you get a 400# bike.

FWIW it is a little lighter than its BMW GS cousin.

The BMW X bikes also had to have a 40 lb frame attachment for riders over 225 lbs. The Terra carries a payload of over 400 lbs (includes cargo and options too though). Look at what it carries. It's 95% of a race bike but it carries what real people need. IF it can outrun a KTM Duke (needs verification), why do you need it any lighter, freight costs? I don't need a folding tin foil bike that needs rebuilding monthly. It is perfect as you can get.
rride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:41 PM   #2541
Tourniquet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by rride View Post
The BMW X bikes also had to have a 40 lb frame attachment for riders over 225 lbs. The Terra carries a payload of over 400 lbs (includes cargo and options too though). Look at what it carries. It's 95% of a race bike but it carries what real people need. IF it can outrun a KTM Duke (needs verification), why do you need it any lighter, freight costs? I don't need a folding tin foil bike that needs rebuilding monthly. It is perfect as you can get.
I agree. At some point you just have to make a good bike and have it be affordable. Let the buyers put in the extra $2000 to make it really great.
Tourniquet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #2542
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourniquet View Post
I agree. At some point you just have to make a good bike and have it be affordable. Let the buyers put in the extra $2000 to make it really great.
Ah, but do they also have to do the final Product Development and QA inspection functions too, like they do when they buy a BMW?

So you're saying it's okay to sell three-quarters of a bike for three-quarters of the final price - and let owners make up their minds what they want the bike to be & look like?

Can you even GET footboards, 6-bend pull-backs, fog-lights and disc wheels to fit a Terra?
Old 05-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #2543
Tourniquet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
I am just saying that they seem to have a pretty good base bike, and the price allows most people to afford it and change it how they want.
Tourniquet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #2544
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by farp View Post
It's a true 50/50 bike. Weight makes a bike more stable on the street but is not so good off road. I guess they thought that they needed 400 pounds for freeway stability and that any more than that would become too objectionable when the pavement ends.
That's why I bought mine, just enough weight for comfortable hiway riding, and just light enough to handle fireroads well. The bike's geometry is right on for both purposes too, I just did a 100 mile dual-sport run with a bunch of much lighter DRZ's and a couple of late model KLR250's (all pilots are experienced riders) and the big TR held up well against them - but I did manage to fry the rear brake to smitherines trying to keep up in the really tight paved stuff...LOL....P=MV... there ain't no getting around the physics!
Old 05-07-2013, 07:32 PM   #2545
Revolutions
Revs

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Its a 650 single, right?
The DR650 is lighter, and its a hundreds of years old design.
I think they used them during the war of 1812.

Its about the same weight as a KLR taking into account the extra gas the klr holds.

A 400 pound single cylinder dirt bike?
I just did a quick look online to see what the different bikes we are discussing weigh. Suzuki DR650 324lb, Kawasaki 650 KLR 432lb, Husqvarna Terra 366lb, and finally KTM 690 313lb! Now if you are into dirt riding the KLR is going to be a handful but at the other end, the KTM has nearly 70hp and only weighs 313lb what a recipe for a missile!
Unfortunately power isn't everything, it's good for the 'grin' factor, but for touring around on back roads a big torquey engine with minimal weight is the go.
The Terra has potential, the back tyre is too big in section and as supplied, the gearing is too high. Fit a smaller rear tyre and add a couple of teeth to the back sprocket (or one off the front) and this would transform the bike, it's never going to be a serious KTM690 competitor, but good just the same.
The petrol tank is seriously complex in shape, Safari tanks here in Aus are considering tooling up to make a bigger tank but will probably wait to see what the demand is before committing. Anyway the Terra does get sensational fuel economy so a larger tank might not be needed for most riders.
Anytime I see a big dirt bike loaded up I take notice, Suzuki DR's are popular so are KLR 650's, Japanese motor cycle tourists travelling around Aus often ride 250's!! It's not uncommon to see well heeled riders on big fully optioned/loaded BMW's, but jeesh, how do you pick up a fully loaded 1200GS BMW after it's fallen on it's side!? It's a bit too soon for Terra's, but I imagine they will start appearing as riders convert them to long distance adventure bikes with racks etc.
Revolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #2546
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Its a 650 single, right?
The DR650 is lighter, and its a hundreds of years old design.
I think they used them during the war of 1812.

Its about the same weight as a KLR taking into account the extra gas the klr holds.

A 400 pound single cylinder dirt bike?
A couple of my friends have DR's, and that was what I was after before I bought a TR. When debating the merits between the two over a few beers, the weight issue came up. One of my buddies laughed and said "the first thing a DR owner does is try to make their bike weigh 400lbs." There is some truth to that.

The DR went through a major weight reduction design change a couple of times in model history. There are indeed a lot of places where Husky could shave some weight off the TR in years to come. However, the bike may weigh 400lbs, but it sure as hell doesn't feel like it. The only time I notice the weight is on the interstate, where it is much appreciated.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...
Old 05-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #2547
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutions View Post
It's a bit too soon for Terra's, but I imagine they will start appearing as riders convert them to long distance adventure bikes with racks etc.
I picked up a Strada as a first street bike for my son. We intend to make it a light adventure bike with side cases, small windshield, etc. Seems to me to be a great bike with ABS brakes, moderate power, possible day long touring comfort, and still light enough to ride down some dirt roads. We intend to take some camping trips this season.

The ABS thing was pretty important to me on a first street bike, in fact, I doubt I will ever buy a street bike again without it. So for only me, the ABS on the Strada put it above a KLR or a DR. My son liked the power bump and styling bump over the Sertao, and I liked the significantly lower cost (even than a used Sertao). I guess our other options were the Honda 500X bike, but it seemed to have very limited suspension travel and I think would be very limited on dirt. The Weestroms & F700/800's all seemed to be trade up bikes to me, a bit too much power/weight for an ideal learning experience. I put the KTM into a more high strung catagory.

So anyway, thats how we arrived at the Strada. Both of us like it. I traded my Ducati Hypermotard S in on it, and actually find the Strada to be a more comfortable/easier bike to ride on the street. Can't wait to get a few more miles on her and use the whole rev range.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:19 PM   #2548
rride
Honda NH 750

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalRob View Post
I picked up a Strada as a first street bike for my son. We intend to make it a light adventure bike with side cases, small windshield, etc. Seems to me to be a great bike with ABS brakes, moderate power, possible day long touring comfort, and still light enough to ride down some dirt roads. We intend to take some camping trips this season.

The ABS thing was pretty important to me on a first street bike, in fact, I doubt I will ever buy a street bike again without it. So for only me, the ABS on the Strada put it above a KLR or a DR. My son liked the power bump and styling bump over the Sertao, and I liked the significantly lower cost (even than a used Sertao). I guess our other options were the Honda 500X bike, but it seemed to have very limited suspension travel and I think would be very limited on dirt. The Weestroms & F700/800's all seemed to be trade up bikes to me, a bit too much power/weight for an ideal learning experience. I put the KTM into a more high strung catagory.

So anyway, thats how we arrived at the Strada. Both of us like it. I traded my Ducati Hypermotard S in on it, and actually find the Strada to be a more comfortable/easier bike to ride on the street. Can't wait to get a few more miles on her and use the whole rev range.
Got any pics?
rride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:50 PM   #2549
Surfinpig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedthrottle View Post
Sorry, I just saw this post. We will have stock of skidplates and other TR650 gear on May 10th. If you place an order now it will ship the moment it is checked into inventory.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/shop-...rand=SW-MOTECH

Kevin
Sorry, I jumped on the ricochet off road one, it's coming via snail and should arrive next week
Surfinpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:55 PM   #2550
Surfinpig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolutions View Post
A bog standard DR650 will EAT a Terra in 80kph 4th gear roll on's! The extra HP the Terra makes comes at the expense of torque, the DR's have massive mid range torque, not much top end though and this is where the Terra shines, but for rapid progress in the 'twisties' on gravel, torque is king.
Who's is not running at redline?! Just sayin
Surfinpig is offline   Reply With Quote