Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 05:34 PM   #2581
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,244
The Strada is not the hot seller the Terra is, not surprised they have the incentive pricing.

re: wheels - call Woody's and get a quote on a set of RAD CACR hubs and wheels laced with HD stainless spokes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnacioB View Post
I'm going to look at one on Saturday in the PNW and torn between the getting a Terra because I absolutely am going to want spoked rims for off-road...or whether to get a Strada and see if I can build (or buy) a set of spare rims (and front fender). The price of the Strada where I'm looking is actually $100 less than the Terra.

Bummer is that if I do a calculation of a combination of OEM parts from ktm-parts.com, aftermarket rotors like Galfer, and assuming $100 bucks a tire....I estimate right about $2,000 to build the spare rims. I'm not finding 1.85x21 or 3.00x18 spoked Husqvarna wheels are common on other models--hence no eBay steals to be found.

To go Terra only for about $7,000 or to go Strada w/ABS and extra rims for $8900?

Unless somebody knows a Terra cheaper out the door in the Washington, Idaho, or Oregon areas? Every place I've asked that have them up here have been within $100 of MSRP.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #2582
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
No. Same engine cases, but very different internals and tuning. The Husky engine is a very-much hotrodded version of the Rotax.

Also, being in Australia, will you be comparing restricted bikes or unrestricted bikes?
Rotax? Isn't the BMW engine built by Kymco in Taiwan? Where is the Husky engine built?
Interesting - though I'm not at all surprised - that the Husky (and Aprilia and Guzzi) main dealer in a city of 4 million people doesn't know what's inside his products...
Restrictions? I think you'd struggle to find a bike that actually has any restrictions - though rest assured that both my wife and I have had multiple vehicle licences in multiple countries over the last 30 years.... my heavy vehicle licence was my 21st different licence test.
We both passed a sidecar rider's licence in the early 1980s - not many countries demand that - though many probably should!
Old 05-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #2583
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
You dont need rotors and rings. The Strada rotors will bolt right up to the new wheels, rings included. You will need a high fender, two wheels, and two tires. That is all.

Also, you might find that BMW uses the same wheels, and using the BMW part number they are actually cheaper according to my dealer. Check your pm's.
+1 Not just BMW but also other Euro brands: think outside the square: for eg, the KTM guys queue up to buy the (spoked) 17"/19" wheels from wrecked or junked Aprilia Caponords, because they have a cush-drive rear hub ... so, there are probably a few sets of KTM wheels lying around surplus to requirements.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:36 PM   #2584
Revolutions
Revs

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdub View Post
I think the weight comparison given by Revolution mixed dry weights and wet weights. Dry weights given by manufacturers are notoriously inaccurate.

From Motorcycle Consumer News the wet weights are:

Suzuki DR650 368# 3.4 gallons fuel

Kawasaki KLR640 428# 6.1 gallons

KTM 690 336 #

Husqvarna TR650 405 # 3.57 gallons

Given this information, the KLR only weighs 8# more than the TR650 if they were carrying the same amount of fuel.
Yep sorry, I was quoting dry weights obtained from Wikipedia (probably not that accurate?)
We ride on hard base loose gravel roads where the top loose section can be 2-3" deep, bikes with weight up high (DR's with a full IMS tank or my Transalp) are a bit of a handful, not bad in a straight line, but the initial "turn in" on a corner, before you get onto the power, can be a bit exciting.
The Terra with it's much lower (overall) fuel tank should be better in sand.
My (ex) DR was fine in a straight line on the loose stuff at speed until I raised the back suspension, after raising the back suspension about 30-40mm the bike would weave constantly (on loose gravel) at speeds over 60mph.
I know all about bad speed wobbles though, years ago I was touring the outback on a Yamaha XT550, I was bowling along at 60-70mph on a great gravel road when I rode though a couple of shallow dips spaced about 20yds apart, the bike's suspension topped out as I left the first dip, I then entered the next dip with the bike not completely settled down, without warning the bike started a speed wobble/tank slapper that rapidly progressed into a terrifying "high side" throwing me down the road at more than 60mph! I lost an acre of skin, broken ribs, wrist, torn ligaments in my knee etc etc.
Revolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:48 PM   #2585
jwdub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
No worries! Re: your crash OUCH!
jwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #2586
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
The Strada is not the hot seller the Terra is, not surprised they have the incentive pricing.

re: wheels - call Woody's and get a quote on a set of RAD CACR hubs and wheels laced with HD stainless spokes.
I did call woodys a few weeks ago...high quality parts I'm sure and I have his wheels on a r1200GS...(love them) I just found it hard to spend over 1/4 the total cost of the bike on wheels/tires.....when the BMW/husky dealer in Asheville was around 1k all in with TKC80s mounted up ready to go....not as "tough" I reckon but I'd ride them without a problem I bet for long time.
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #2587
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Precis View Post
Rotax? Isn't the BMW engine built by Kymco in Taiwan? Where is the Husky engine built?
Interesting - though I'm not at all surprised - that the Husky (and Aprilia and Guzzi) main dealer in a city of 4 million people doesn't know what's inside his products...
Restrictions? I think you'd struggle to find a bike that actually has any restrictions - though rest assured that both my wife and I have had multiple vehicle licences in multiple countries over the last 30 years.... my heavy vehicle licence was my 21st different licence test.
We both passed a sidecar rider's licence in the early 1980s - not many countries demand that - though many probably should!
You're thinking of the former BMW G450 Moto Cross bike, motor made by Kymco in Taiwan. (out of production world wide AFAIK?)

The Terra/Strada use a modified BMW G650 motor. Originally a Rotax design, taken over by BMW in 2000. Since around 2007 made by Loncin in China. For the Terra/Strada BMW and Husqvarna modified the G650 motor: head, cam timing, piston, comp ratio, valves.

The basic bottom end, AFAIK, is pretty much identical to the BMW G bikes (G650 and Sertao). The Terra mods squeezed about another 10 HP out.

The UK have tiered licensing. Not Australia.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #2588
IgnacioB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Thanks for the Woody's idea! I've submitted a request and hope it comes back with a bit less sticker shock. Being the first kid on the block with an ambidextrous Terra/Strada sounds pretty fun. :)
My Motorcycle Blog
IgnacioB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:43 PM   #2589
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
You're thinking of the former BMW G450 Moto Cross bike, motor made by Kymco in Taiwan. (out of production world wide AFAIK?)

The Terra/Strada use a modified BMW G650 motor. Originally a Rotax design, taken over by BMW in 2000. Since around 2007 made by Loncin in China. For the Terra/Strada BMW and Husqvarna modified the G650 motor: head, cam timing, piston, comp ratio, valves.

The basic bottom end, AFAIK, is pretty much identical to the BMW G bikes (G650 and Sertao). The Terra mods squeezed about another 10 HP out.

The UK have tiered licensing. Not Australia.
The Kymco 450 motor is in the new CCM Adventure bike.

xronly
Cruz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:48 PM   #2590
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
But is the BMW G450 still in production? We haven't got it here in the US for a few years now.
Yea, I heard the CCM thing as a "rumor", but has it been confirmed? It does LOOK LIKE the BMW motor but I wonder why in all the press (at least that I've seen) CCM have not confirmed the source of the motor.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:32 PM   #2591
rride
Honda NH 750

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdub View Post
No worries! Re: your crash OUCH!
Yeah, when a bunch of dr650 gang swooped in with all these warped weights and performance figures swearing at everyone who did not gulp them down, I did not want to say too much. It does not make any difference any way. I'd like to see more pics. The Strada riders have been reporting more buys lately, but sight unseen. Those are the guys that are going to put more miles on driving every day and at higher average speeds. They will be the beta testers except for relocating your organs around off road. The Strada should be a nice little road race bike around town, and on the open road if you use road-racing style and good windshields to compensate for the light weight.

Thanks for keeping the record straight. I know its your valued time correcting loose figures and I appreciate that.
rride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:46 PM   #2592
Chuffa
TR650 Terra

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Precis View Post
Restrictions? I think you'd struggle to find a bike that actually has any restrictions - though rest assured that both my wife and I have had multiple vehicle licences in multiple countries over the last 30 years....
RD was referring to the fact that in Aus the TR650 is supplied as LAMs compliant as stock. You get them derestricted when you prove your open class license to the distributor & they send the dealer a kit. It depends whether the dealer has a derestricted demo for you to ride. It's not a great deal of difference, as far as I can remember. Less right hand movement needed is about it.
Chuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:01 PM   #2593
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
But is the BMW G450 still in production? We haven't got it here in the US for a few years now.
Yea, I heard the CCM thing as a "rumor", but has it been confirmed? It does LOOK LIKE the BMW motor but I wonder why in all the press (at least that I've seen) CCM have not confirmed the source of the motor.
BMW 450 finished a couple of years ago.

CCM info here.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=857243&page=8

xronly
Cruz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:48 AM   #2594
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuffa View Post
RD was referring to the fact that in Aus the TR650 is supplied as LAMs compliant as stock. You get them derestricted when you prove your open class license to the distributor & they send the dealer a kit. It depends whether the dealer has a derestricted demo for you to ride. It's not a great deal of difference, as far as I can remember. Less right hand movement needed is about it.
This is exactly what I was talking about, I just didn't recall the proper terminology. If I understand correctly, they would have to knock off about 10hp to the TR650 to be LAMS compliant. But the Sertao would be LAMS compliant out of the box with no restriction, right?

On a side note, I am so glad not to have to deal with such silliness.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:57 AM   #2595
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
I would love to get my hands on one of those CCM's. I really wish someone sold a dual-sport in the US that was in the 400cc range and more tolerable than a DRZ. MrsDonkeys would be on this bike like white on rice.