Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2013, 07:47 AM   #2716
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev.. View Post
I hate to be Captain Obvious but handlebar mounted waterproof switches have been found on motorcycles for decades. Search ebay for "universal motorcycle light switch" and you'll get hundreds of results. Your local bike shop will probably have a dozen in the dirt bike parts bin.
Yep, I've done this on several of my bikes. It is a 15 minute mod on most bikes. It really serves no purpose other than to save a little juice when I'm having battery problems out in the middle of nowhere.

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #2717
Rayzor61
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Another difference between the Stada and Terra

Looking at them both, I see that the Stada is the better deal right now (discount wise). With the Terra being more popular (and so few remaining), they are not touching the price too much. I thought of buying the Stada for -$2k less then MSRP and added up the price of parts to make it "Terra like" (including tires/not wheels). These additions bring it up to what few remaining dealers are selling the Terra for. Its about the same. The only benefit would be ABS on the Stada.

So I took the Stada for a test ride yesterday. The first quarter of the throttle was snachey and I stalled it two times...weird; I guess they didn't remap the demo bike! I'd think that would be the first bike staightened out. I also noticed the mufflers were baffle removal proof. They were all welded up.

Then today, I found a Terra on the floor of a different dealer. I carefully examined the Terra and noticed the muffler end caps have a C clamp type washer in the end holding the baffles in place. That means they can come out......the Stada just has oddley square end cap openings with no access to baffles. This makes another big difference to me in favor of hte Terra. Has anyone pointed this out yet in the previous 182 pages of this thread?

Also, has anyone removed the Terra baffle and does it sound better then the corked system?
Rayzor61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:40 PM   #2718
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayzor61 View Post
Looking at them both, I see that the Stada is the better deal right now (discount wise). With the Terra being more popular (and so few remaining), they are not touching the price too much. I thought of buying the Stada for -$2k less then MSRP and added up the price of parts to make it "Terra like" (including tires/not wheels). These additions bring it up to what few remaining dealers are selling the Terra for. Its about the same. The only benefit would be ABS on the Stada.

So I took the Stada for a test ride yesterday. The first quarter of the throttle was snachey and I stalled it two times...weird; I guess they didn't remap the demo bike! I'd think that would be the first bike staightened out. I also noticed the mufflers were baffle removal proof. They were all welded up.

Then today, I found a Terra on the floor of a different dealer. I carefully examined the Terra and noticed the muffler end caps have a C clamp type washer in the end holding the baffles in place. That means they can come out......the Stada just has oddley square end cap openings with no access to baffles. This makes another big difference to me in favor of hte Terra. Has anyone pointed this out yet in the previous 182 pages of this thread?

Also, has anyone removed the Terra baffle and does it sound better then the corked system?
What you're seeing in the Terra is the spark arrestors. Not too many people have messed with the exhaust, other than to "fix" the spark arrestors in the Terra. That clamp often makes the exhaust "tweet", which is only annoying at worst.

On the other hand, several have talked about switching to a single exhaust setup. It seems Bill's is the only place to have done it so far. They are working on a marketable solution if I recall correctly. There is lots of exhaust info over on Cafe Husky.

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/str...out-fun.32484/

I think most of us just enjoy the way the bike performs after the Moss flash. I know I like "stealth" mode, so I have no intention of toying with the exhaust.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #2719
Rayzor61
Gnarly Adventurer

Now Im really confused because I just looked at other pictures (in this thread) and they show the Terra with sealed and square end caps where-as the one I saw (call it spark arrester or baffles) were removable.

Can someone confirm if this is a European model thing (square ends caps on a Terra)? The Stada deffinately has untouchable end caps whereas the Terra's opening were round and slightly bigger.

Who in the USA has a Terra and can confirm the Spark Arresters come out. That little difference in sound may bring the marbles out of the bag for me!
Old 05-17-2013, 12:56 PM   #2720
Rayzor61
Gnarly Adventurer

Notice the square outlets on this Terra pictured.. The one I saw today had round outlets with removable arresters or baffles

Old 05-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #2721
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayzor61 View Post
Now Im really confused because I just looked at other pictures (in this thread) and they show the Terra with sealed and square end caps where-as the one I saw (call it spark arrester or baffles) were removable.

Can someone confirm if this is a European model thing (square ends caps on a Terra)? The Stada deffinately has untouchable end caps whereas the Terra's opening were round and slightly bigger.

Who in the USA has a Terra and can confirm the Spark Arresters come out. That little difference in sound may bring the marbles out of the bag for me!

Disregard anything from Australia or Europe. They have different rules on spark arrestors. In the US, Terras will have round pipes with spark arrestors. Stradas will have the square pipes without arrestors.

Spark arrestors and baffles are very different things. All baffles do some sort of spark arresting by default. But a screen spark arrestor doesn't baffle at all. All the bikes have baffles of some sort. That is what makes them quiet. Spark arrestors are only required on offroad bikes if I recall correctly, but several dual-sports have them. Hopefully that made sense.

RidingDonkeys screwed with this post 05-17-2013 at 01:12 PM
Old 05-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #2722
dirtykdx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Strada has no sparky, and better flow already. No need to remove baffles.

I haven't seen a terra with the square outlets yet. But I have heard 1st run Strada's might have the baffled exhaust from the Terra.

No need to get worked up over it. If you just want a loud exhaust you can do like Bill's did or wait to see what Kelly at motosportz is working on with the tuner and slip ons.
dirtykdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:35 PM   #2723
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

More info on the spark arrestors in this thread on CH:

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/twe...st-note.30093/

Old 05-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #2724
Surfinpig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
I attempted to take the spark arresters out, I removed the c clamp things but couldn't get the arresters out, after the first service I'll try harder.
Surfinpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #2725
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
Disregard anything from Australia or Europe. They have different rules on spark arrestors. In the US, Terras will have round pipes with spark arrestors. Stradas will have the square pipes without arrestors.

Spark arrestors and baffles are very different things. All baffles do some sort of spark arresting by default. But a screen spark arrestor doesn't baffle at all. All the bikes have baffles of some sort. That is what makes them quiet. Spark arrestors are only required on offroad bikes if I recall correctly, but several dual-sports have them. Hopefully that made sense.
My Strada has the welded square tips. I like the quiet.

So this means I have no spark arrester? Does the Cat take care of that? Are there restrictions on where I can ride?

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #2726
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

I know some of the parks out west require spark arrestors on dirt bikes and quads. They may well here on the east coast too, but I don't know for sure. Either way, I don't know that they check, and technically the baffling on the stock exhaust meets federal requirements.

Spark arrestors are really targeted at two-strokes. The extra carbon build up in two strokes often leads to a sparky discharge. This isn't common for four-strokes at all.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:08 PM   #2727
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
While its true sparks from 4 stroke exhaust are not common ... they still enforce the Spark Arrestor law in California and probably other Western states as well.

Any event you run (like a Dual Sport, Enduro or Family Enduro) will check for a Spark Arrestor. This has been SOP for decades. You can even get nailed riding in the National Forest, National Park and even some BLM lands.

If you get a Ranger with a Hard On for bikes ... you can get a Whopper of a ticket ... like several hundred $$$. At the very least ... you will be BANNED from riding until you get the Sparky installed.

This is basically another antiquated law that no one with a pulse in govt. has taken the trouble to revise. Four Stroke exhaust don't cause fires unless they tip over into dry brush or leak out gas and ignite it ... more common than you'd think.

This just perpetuates the "myth" that a Spark Arrestor is needed on ALL bikes. No shortage of ignorance out there. Usually having a QUIET PIPE will
mean the Rangers won't notice you.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:21 PM   #2728
dirtykdx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Hmm, have any of you ever been behind a fourstroke at night? No sparks my ass. Those lean deceleration pops you hear are like a flame thrower.
dirtykdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:20 AM   #2729
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtykdx View Post
Hmm, have any of you ever been behind a fourstroke at night? No sparks my ass. Those lean deceleration pops you hear are like a flame thrower.
Even with a cat in the system?

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:15 AM   #2730
Rayzor61
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfinpig View Post
I attempted to take the spark arresters out, I removed the c clamp things but couldn't get the arresters out, after the first service I'll try harder.
Try using circlip pliers and or small needle nose plyers and a flat screw driver.

Somehow this thread is moving torwards the direction of spark arrester requirements in State Parks.....

I just wanted to know which bike you could do it with