Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2013, 02:27 PM   #3136
AltRoute
AltRoute

Oddometer: 281
I needed to get a new screen but I didn’t like the Husqy option – so I decided to try my hand at vacuum molding. It’s something I always wanted to try. So off I went to Home Depot to pick up a sheet of Lexan and some other things to make a vacuum box.
Next I had to make the template for the new screen. Got some scrap sheet of metal that can finally be used for something. Bend bend, snip snip, slap on some fiberglass dent repair compound and voila . . .

This is what happened when you mix a kitchen oven at 500F (wife was out hehehe ) a sheet of plastic, shop vac and a vacuum mold

After a visit to my buddies band saw and sander the result was looking good. I didn’t like the lines and bubbles that are on the screen, I think I heated the plastic up to fast or too high. But I was pretty chuffed with my first attempt

So to cover up the marks I bought some stickers to help it out -

AltRoute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:49 PM   #3137
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Oddometer: 1,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
That's interesting ... and relates to a post a guy on the DR650 forum made recently. This guy's Dad just bought a Terra ... which they both love.

But once the guy started doing basic maintenance on the Terra ... his view changed. This guy has lots of mechanical experience, worked on many bikes for decades. He claimed ... in every respect ... the Terra was a nightmare to work on. Even the most simple things are complicated and non intuitive. Just passing this along. I've never touched one myself.

I've owned several bikes that are hard to work on ... like my 2002 VFR Honda. But experienced guys here know once you go through the processes a few times, you learn all sorts of tricks and short cuts that make it easier. Anyone agree with that? Or is the Terra really that hard?

This was true for my VFR, both my DL1000 Vstroms. Modern bikes pack things in really really tight. Learning to work around all that takes careful thought and experience. I'm guessing once owners have torn down the Terra to it's skivvies a few times ... it will get easier. ???
What do you owners think?

I just checked the valves myself, and it wasn't pleasant. I am somewhat mechanically inclined and I had to disassemble a good portion of the bike. To actually adjust the valves you need to remove the subframe of the bike.

If I knew this bike was going to be this complicated to service, I may have gone with the KTM 690 Enduro. If I knew that the bike was only going to be made for 1 year, I definately would have bought the KTM.
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #3138
O'B
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
I just checked the valves myself, and it wasn't pleasant. I am somewhat mechanically inclined and I had to disassemble a good portion of the bike. To actually adjust the valves you need to remove the subframe of the bike.

If I knew this bike was going to be this complicated to service, I may have gone with the KTM 690 Enduro. If I knew that the bike was only going to be made for 1 year, I definately would have bought the KTM.
Like the Xbikes or F650 once the bikes are totally broken in and the valves set they generally go a lot of miles before any adjustments have to be made so its not like you are going to have to check them every 6000 miles. This engine has been in production with a few tweaks for over a decade so parts won't be a problem. I don't own one but I bet you probably could switch to an upgraded suspension if you so desire(Marzocchi,Hyperpro} although what I hear and read is the suspension is pretty good out of the box. I bet this bike will be a keeper as it sound like its an excellent all round traveler! Look at the Xbikes there is probably more demand for them now than when they were produced once everybody figured them out and started exploiting their potential and were able to live with the used prices compared to the expensive new price. Reading about this Terra (It is a Husky) sounds like you made a pretty decent decision.
O'B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #3139
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
The original F650 (designed and manufactured by Rotax) first came to light in around 1993 in the Apriia Pegaso. BMW bought the rights and released the Funduro F650 in around 1995, which Aprilia originally produced. So that motor has been around at least 18 years.

In around 2000 BMW took production in house in Berlin and broadened the line, adding F650GS/Dakar ... et al. Only minor changes and upgrades were made to the motor during this period, AFAIK ... but QA problems cropped during the Berlin production run and some persist today.

Not sure if BMW made the entire bottom end in house or if Rotax provided these parts. I'm thinking BMW did it all ... as they had CANCELLED the Rotax contract. Relations ... for a while ... were not warm and fuzzy.

In mid 2000's BMW moved production of the F650 motor to Loncin, China.
The X series F650's were the result (later G650 and Sertao). The G450 (RIP) was produced in Taiwan by Kymco, so no relation between the F650 and G450 motors.

For the Terra and Strada, BMW and Husky Italy revised the G650 motor quite a bit: Modern slipper piston, new head design, bigger valves, more compression, new Rod. I think the bottom end is basically the same (??) ... but haven't been to the factory to verify that. Result, 10 more HP than G650. Smoother running too!

Speculation abounds as to the compatibility of G650 and Terra motor parts.
The good news is (AFAIK) ... no one has blown a Terra or Strada motor ... so not much knowledge about this as of yet.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:14 PM   #3140
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post

I can only hope it gets easier with practice ... and hopefully valve adjustments won't be required all that often!

From reading many KTM 690 Ride reports ... seems that bike has some problems of it's own ... and not just the F.I. and Fuel Pump issues we typically hear about. I've ridden the 690 ... was really impressed. Great fun, but I just don't see it as a travel bike ... even though plenty of guys are using it for that.

I like the civility and street manners of the Terra better. Just ... IMHO.
If KTM/Husky release the Terra for another model year ... I'm thinking I'll just HAVE TO HAVE ONE!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:53 PM   #3141
trapperj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Strada

I have a Strada...getting close to 8k miles. I live in east TN. No shortage of two lane blacktop here. I've have several KLRs before the Husky. Always enjoyed them. The TR has became my favorite bike for most all my riding. I thought I'd always wanted a KTM 690 and ran into a great deal on a used 2103 duke with less than 1000 miles...about 2k off retail new.woukd have probably bought without seeing or riding just based of the reviews I've read. Fortunately, I was able to take a lengthy ride. So glad I did.

It's just not as easy to ride as the Strada. I guess it has a bit more power...but it's not delivered as smoothly....more of a narrow power band. IMHO it's easier to ride the Strada faster than the KTM. The brakes are much stronger on the KTM. The seat feels to me kinda like a bucket...your sorta stuck in one position. The KTM vibrates a lot more than the Husky. I found myself working the gearbox more to maintain my speed....the TR was happy in a gear or two...the KTM needed all it's gears to be in its happy place. The TR seems happy all the time....well anything 3k and above...it's still a single.

The fit & finish was great on the KTM. Really nice...as mentioned...the brakes are strong....suspension seems close to me..neither have adjustment up front.
If I had both and could only keep one...it'd be the H...YMMV
trapperj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:34 AM   #3142
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Oddometer: 1,242
This arrived:

But unfortunately the TIG torch does not have an amperage control, which makes this pretty much useless to me.
So I ordered this today:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thermal-Arc-...ht_6647wt_1399

Should be in early next week, in the mean time I'll construct a table to hold the jig for the top rack. Hopefully soon I can get a couple of these racks punched out.
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:43 AM   #3143
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltRoute View Post
Outstanding!!!!!!
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:52 AM   #3144
motozen
motozen

Oddometer: 33
A 6000km travelling bike?

Guys,
I'm intending to import this bike to my country (a place where you pay over 65% taxes for a new twowheels), so my budget can only let me a Husky Terra 650 as far as I find.

Do you think this bike can be a little globe trotter? I see the tank is not big enough, it's a naked bike and probalby for a 4k miles holiday it should be equipped.

I love the paths we still have in Ecuador, i like also to conmute and use it during week ends cause i live on the countr-side, and also ride with fellows that probably have two-cilinder bikes o bigger ones!

Any suggestion will be appreciated
motozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #3145
Tourniquet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
I could ride one down from Texas for ya ;) just pay for a plane ticket back

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
Tourniquet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #3146
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltRoute View Post

Nice job AR
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #3147
BlueRidgeKat
Daily Commuter

Oddometer: 230
Is there a Strada only thread on here? Not having any luck with "search".
Thanks
BlueRidgeKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #3148
tactical-T
TreeStump

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
That commute is EXACTLY why I bought the TR650. It is comfortable enough for a 30+ mile commute each way, and capable enough to take the "scenic" and unpaved route home when I want to.

If you've ever seen that guy running around post on the green Triumph hack, or the red Ural, then you've seen me. The old Triumphs don't get commuting love...nor do they run often.

I'm down in Augusta for the next few weeks. I'll hit you up when I get back and maybe we can meet up at Railhouse for a brew.
Right on!
I've seen your Hack outside the HT / Dick's parking lot, at least I think it was yours. Doe it have a utility hack with a scrambler luggage rack? If you've ever seen a clapped out OD green BMW R1150R, that's mine.. I'll also occasionally ride the barely legal TE450 through Aberdeen, sometimes to the railhouse to fill my growler. Drop me a line when you ge back.
The more time I spend in this world , the smaller it gets
tactical-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:54 PM   #3149
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,682
I got the Wuka King installed today, and I am now a true believer.
Before, I was a hoper ....but didn't expect such a drastic improvement in off-idle throttle response could be had by such trickery as these units operate by.

If this was only going to be used as a light-duty dualsport, then it would have just been an annoyance - but I'm from a dirtbike background and "crack the gas, spin the tire" is what you expect and "crack the gas, lighten the front" is frequently what you need.
This bike, even after a MOSS session, was nowhere near where I wanted it to be. It appeared destined for replacement, you could say the Wuka King was it's last hope of staying around....which is a damn shame because the bike is so good in so many other ways - to be let down by crap throttle response was frustrating.
Tip of the hat to HighTechCoonAss for a well thought out design too, everything was as long as it needed to be and easy to find a place for.

I looked at a few other installs and once I got the plastic off I tried a few different setups before settling on a place to put the temp sensor.

I put the hi/lo switch on a bracket up on the bars - remains to be seen how much I'll use the switch, it might get relocated to a bit more out of sight place that I can still get to.

Didn't put the Wolfman E-12's back on yet, but got it ready to ride around and check out it's newfound throttle goodness

IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:24 PM   #3150
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,900
Hey Blackbird, why did you mount the temp sensor to the side of the radiator, or is that a plastic cover that doesn't get any heat off of it?

With the BMWs we mounted them up as high as possible away from any kind of heat, whether when moving or stationary, as the sensor is basically sending a false cooler temperature to the bikes efi system. This meant mounting them up near the top of the forks or steering head and air filter inlet etc.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote