Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2013, 05:23 AM   #3196
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post

I'm looking for 1-2 more people to test these for me, let me know if you are interested.

"IN"

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:01 PM   #3197
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Oddometer: 1,233
I'm getting closer to having the TIG welder dialed in... I welded these two washers together. They form the bottom part of my mount that the bolt goes through for the top rack.

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:49 PM   #3198
kswaid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by farp View Post
Hey, Kswaid, what size countershaft sprocket were you using?

John
I was using the stock sprocket for that riding. I have a one tooth smaller sprocket that I picked up for riding in the sand barrens, but I took it off soon after trying it out. The problem is that the smaller sprocket puts the engine in a vibey zone right at 70mph where I want to cruise. It does allow you to use 2nd gear more readily in slow going, but I don't have any problem just sticking with 1st gear using the stock sprocket. You just need to be willing to rev her out a bit now and then before shifting up to 2nd, then it works great. Plus, that clutch is so light that I don't mind slipping it.
kswaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #3199
kristof-lars
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
well after much research and deliberation i think the big decision has been made up in my mind, i think im going with the 650 terra for my first ever bike!

been looking at old 650 dakars but for the price of those i can buy a new husky, plus it has more power, is lighter, and is more dirt orientated than the dakar (based on weight and front suspension) i just like it!! also perfect ride height for me 5'9" bare foot 32" inseam. nothing else seems to touch it especially for a first bike and being that im moving to australia its LAMS approved, gets great gas mileage and its road/ dirt ratio (if there is such a thing) is pretty much what im looking at a 60/40 split.

now the questions i have...

-servicing..with the sale to ktm and the engine based on a bmw design what am i looking at with problems finding a good quality tech, who looks after warranty im sure the bmw techs know more about the bike but now ktm has to service them since they bought the brand?? or is husky a total independent youd still take it to the husky dealer just as before??

-parts well sorta.. i know bye the time the warranty is up (what is the warranty anyways) ill be looking for a bigger bike anywase or maybe ill keep this for the mrs but id still like to know that parts are available i know companies have to produceparts for so long or some deal..

-premium gas can i run regular i know the bmw 650gs runs on regular but with the higher compression i take it premium is required, is there any wiggle room on this? ive never owned a bike just "cagers" and have never put premium in anything so im just oblivious to it i understand the octane yadda yadda but im cheap too lol

thats about it..definately going to watch this thread though! this bike seems to be a all rounder i hope ktm sees what a great bike they bought but i cant see them keeping the engine and i cant help but wonder whats next? is this bike discontinued totally? is it being reworked with a ktm heart? do we know yet lol
kristof-lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #3200
RuggedExposure
Now with more rugged

Oddometer: 1,233
And welded to the bottom of the mount:

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:24 PM   #3201
ryguy83
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
And welded to the bottom of the mount:
Great job!

-ry

Previous: '00 ninja250r, '03 sv650s, '05 cbr600rr, '09 klx250s, '09 wr250x
ryguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:03 PM   #3202
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,669
Holy Smokes.....RE

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:52 AM   #3203
hasenpfeffer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristof-lars View Post
well after much research and deliberation i think the big decision has been made up in my mind, i think im going with the 650 terra for my first ever bike!
Yeah! You'll love it!

Quote:
-servicing..with the sale to ktm and the engine based on a bmw design what am i looking at with problems finding a good quality tech, who looks after warranty im sure the bmw techs know more about the bike but now ktm has to service them since they bought the brand?? or is husky a total independent youd still take it to the husky dealer just as before??
BMW has washed their hands of anything husky, so your not likely to get any support from them unless you happen to find an extremely good dealer willing to help beyond their normal duties. You will need to use husky dealers. The big thing that is still a huge question mark right now is access to an electronics diagnostic tool. BMW called it their MOSS tool. Some husky dealers have them, many do not because it was expensive. We all are waiting to see how the new ownership fills this large support gap.

Quote:
-parts well sorta.. i know bye the time the warranty is up (what is the warranty anyways) ill be looking for a bigger bike anywase or maybe ill keep this for the mrs but id still like to know that parts are available i know companies have to produceparts for so long or some deal..
warranty is 1 year unlimited miles, I believe. at least in the US. The new owners of husky have repeatedly stated that they have every intention of fully supporting the TR and every husky with parts and otherwise. Parts are expected to be available for 10 years and you should have no concern over eventually being able to get a part. Due to the ownership change, short term parts availability has been hit or miss, but I personally expect this to sort itself out after the merger is smoothed out.

Quote:
-premium gas can i run regular i know the bmw 650gs runs on regular but with the higher compression i take it premium is required, is there any wiggle room on this? ive never owned a bike just "cagers" and have never put premium in anything so im just oblivious to it i understand the octane yadda yadda but im cheap too lol
Premium 95 RON (91 US) is required according to husky. There are a number of reports of people running regular without problem for short term use. I personally would recommend being as diligent as possible with using premium, but not sweating it if regular is the only thing available for a tank now and then.
hasenpfeffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:28 AM   #3204
farp
DualsportBC Rider

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by kswaid View Post
I was using the stock sprocket for that riding. I have a one tooth smaller sprocket that I picked up for riding in the sand barrens, but I took it off soon after trying it out. The problem is that the smaller sprocket puts the engine in a vibey zone right at 70mph where I want to cruise. It does allow you to use 2nd gear more readily in slow going, but I don't have any problem just sticking with 1st gear using the stock sprocket. You just need to be willing to rev her out a bit now and then before shifting up to 2nd, then it works great. Plus, that clutch is so light that I don't mind slipping it.
Thanks Ks... That's pretty much my experience with the stock countershaft sprocket and what I expected with the smaller one. Thanks for confirming.

John
farp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:54 PM   #3205
kristof-lars
Adventurer

right on just the info i was looking for i wouldnt be running it on regular all the time but for the precise reason if it wasnt available in the area i was trekking through.

i guess it is just a waiting game for things to smooth out once i get over seas ill go and talk with a dealer and get the word from the horses mouth and make known all my concerns while they are trying to sell me the bike maybe i can make them feel bad enough and get a further deal

and yes the more i look into this bike the more im liking it i hope there is a good aftermarket accesory selection although alot of things can be retro fitted or fabbed up id definately be looking at a fairing and larger tank i hear the tank is in the works does anyone know who from or for sure?? all other things the husky has already looked after heated grips handguards etc as for luggage not my biggest concern right at the moment a good universal tank bag and a rack ill be fine for a while until i get used to it or have time to plan a good trip with it.

first thing i do to it is drop a muffler anyone know of any single mufflers for this yet? and get a bigger tank and get a fairing also does anyone know of any kits for the husky yet? or any universal ones that are an easy addition i dont want to be tearing the whole bike apart right of the hop but that windshield is tiny and im going to be doing a fair bit of road to start of, i also here the tires are less than stellar off road alot of slip with the power this thing puts out any suggestions i have no clue about tires never had to concern myself but last thing i want is those to be limiting factors or a deterrent when cruising gravel or fire roads?
Old 08-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #3206
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,327
Berg Briggs' did an excellent job on his BRMoto racks - they arrived today and I just installed them. Perfect fit and hella stout, nicely finished.

Big fan of the cross brace and the way it supports the taillight assembly.... and since I have a long weekend offroad / camping ride with some buddies coming up, I won't be worried about bringing a roll of duct tape to wrap up any broken plastic bits back there
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:10 PM   #3207
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
[QUOTE=kristof-lars;22096242]-parts well sorta.. i know bye the time the warranty is up (what is the warranty anyways) ill be looking for a bigger bike anywase or maybe ill keep this for the mrs but id still like to know that parts are available i know companies have to produceparts for so long or some deal..

Kristof, give me a shout when your ready to head to Australia and sell off your Terra. I should be in the market by then.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:45 PM   #3208
kristof-lars
Adventurer

[QUOTE=George 99;22103016]
Quote:

Kristof, give me a shout when your ready to head to Australia and sell off your Terra. I should be in the market by then.
ha i dont have one yet! thats what ill be getting in australia sorry if there was confusion but i think the shipping and used price youd be able to buy a new bike new ones over there are going for 10 grand ride away pricing thats taxes and fees in!
Old 08-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #3209
Surfinpig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
2013 Husqvarna 650 Terra

I think I'm up grading from the husky? Who wants her? 3200 miles as of now, will take best offer. Oh Philadelphia.
Surfinpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #3210
ColdForged
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
I am very interested in this bike. However, I have read correctly that husqvarna was acquired by KTM and they are combining with husaberg? Would I be better off waiting to see what happens? Other than the bike being scrapped and KTM putting out another model, from another brand, at a more premium price... Hard to find a bike like this with ABS
ColdForged is offline   Reply With Quote