User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2013, 04:00 PM   #3226
spjinseattle
Strom and DR Rider

Oddometer: 18
Happy Trails Demo Bike for Sale

Not sure if anyone posted about this already, but...

http://www.happy-trail.com/Bikes-For...rna-TR650.aspx

spjinseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #3227
Fulano
Scooter Trash

Oddometer: 424
Just picked up a Terra. Came with theTALL Seat Concepts saddle which adds approximately 2 inches to the height.

http://www.seatconcepts.com/products...57&id=23998000

I will be converting it back to original height (34 + in.) so will have the foam and Carbon fiber / Gripper cover as extra. It sells for $159.99. I will let it go for $65 + shipping.

All I need are loose shoes, tight pussy and a warm place to shit.
Fulano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:15 PM   #3228
The_Precious_Juice
Two pump chump

Oddometer: 1,259
Detuned to 48hp

I tried searching on this thread for any post on detuning the bike from stock HP, to the 48HP.

Here, in the States, I'd assume the stock is the higher horse power.

I'd like to detune for better fuel economy.

I'd be useing the bike to get to point A-B on and off road.
Plus, I'm a noob at off-roading.
__

I'm suprised the price is so low. There are 2 bikes back at my home town sale for $6,999. On sale, meaning they initialy inflated the MSRP.

_
The only qualms would be garage support while on the road. It looks like it is even less than BMW.

I really like how the bike is 23lbs or so lighter than the Sertao, and no ABS is on board. I have the Sertao at 433lbs or so. Furthermore, the TR650's mufflers are smaller than the Sertao. I really really like this.
The Sertao does have better room for storing gear, and the back is fully equiped to for a top box, and the rear has a small container.
Even though folk do not like the TR650 kick stand, no hockey puck mod is needed.

I like how the bike went with 18" tyres on the rear. More options for consumers.

__

How is the battary? Is a lithium required for better starts?
_
The bike comes with 1 year warrenty. Does anyone know how much extended warrenties cost?
__
thanks for reading
The_Precious_Juice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:24 PM   #3229
huskyKT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
I have been getting in the high 50s. I don't know if the de-tuning would increase that or not but I don't know why you would want to detune with that kind of gas mileage

If it ain't dirty you ain't riding enough!
Husky TR 650 for the dirt
Suzuki GV1200 Madura for the road
huskyKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #3230
The_Precious_Juice
Two pump chump

41mm fork vs 46mm

the Huskies make use of a 46mm inverted fork. The shock uses a linkage system and both suspension components offer 7.5 inches of travel.

__
When first looking at DS. I just assumed they all had 41mm.

However, the V-strom and CRF250L have 43mm.

I was really suprised to see the TR650 have 46mm forks!

This provides more stability and less travel when the rider seats on the bike, right?

The TR650 has less travel than the Sertao, but how does having 5 more mm help?

Thanks for reading.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:52 PM   #3231
The_Precious_Juice
Two pump chump

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskyKT View Post
I have been getting in the high 50s. I don't know if the de-tuning would increase that or not but I don't know why you would want to detune with that kind of gas mileage

Fair question. I was trying to make up for a negative of the bike. That is range. Granted, it would only be 18 or so miles to the tank. I'm not that worried about cost saving, just range. I'm just 163lbs will not be doing any 2 up riding, and I'd pack light (no morning coffee).

I'd put a couple of roto-pax 1 gallon fuel cells port and starboard. So that would be 5.6 gallsons total.
__

What would be some pros to keeping the stock 58hp set-Up?

1. Better re-sale value.
2. Power is there when you need it.
3. MC puts out like a champ at higher altidudes. Not sure about this one, EFI may take care of this issue.
4. Better for 2 up riding.
5. One less thing for the dealer to charge you for at the initial purchase.

__
Thanks for the reply
Old 08-16-2013, 05:33 PM   #3232
hasenpfeffer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Precious_Juice View Post
I tried searching on this thread for any post on detuning the bike from stock HP, to the 48HP.

Here, in the States, I'd assume the stock is the higher horse power.

I'd like to detune for better fuel economy.

I'd be useing the bike to get to point A-B on and off road.
Plus, I'm a noob at off-roading.
__

I'm suprised the price is so low. There are 2 bikes back at my home town sale for $6,999. On sale, meaning they initialy inflated the MSRP.

_
The only qualms would be garage support while on the road. It looks like it is even less than BMW.

I really like how the bike is 23lbs or so lighter than the Sertao, and no ABS is on board. I have the Sertao at 433lbs or so. Furthermore, the TR650's mufflers are smaller than the Sertao. I really really like this.
The Sertao does have better room for storing gear, and the back is fully equiped to for a top box, and the rear has a small container.
Even though folk do not like the TR650 kick stand, no hockey puck mod is needed.

I like how the bike went with 18" tyres on the rear. More options for consumers.

__

How is the battary? Is a lithium required for better starts?
_
The bike comes with 1 year warrenty. Does anyone know how much extended warrenties cost?
__
thanks for reading
The detuned version simply moves the throttle cable to a different groove at the throttle body. The other groove just limits wide open throttle. There is a separate bracket needed at the throttle body to position the throttle cable correctly to use the other groove.

I highly doubt any difference in fuel economy would occur. Just don't use wide open throttle and you would have the same effect. Which, I guess, would give you better fuel economy
hasenpfeffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #3233
The_Precious_Juice
Two pump chump

Thumb Thanks for the feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasenpfeffer View Post
The detuned version simply moves the throttle cable to a different groove at the throttle body. The other groove just limits wide open throttle. There is a separate bracket needed at the throttle body to position the throttle cable correctly to use the other groove.

I highly doubt any difference in fuel economy would occur. Just don't use wide open throttle and you would have the same effect. Which, I guess, would give you better fuel economy

Thanks for the feedback. Great, I'll leave her stock. Good to be an American Citizen and not part of the E U.
Don't worry, we'll catch up.

I'm kind of disapointed in my self for not looking into this bike sooner.

I guess it was two things.

1. Brand name. I know nothing about Hesqvarna. Or even how to spell the name. Husqvarna.

2. Being a person who is always trying to get Beyound Thunder Dome, I spend a good amount of time lookng at bikes that had great range out of the stable. So the 3.6 gallon tank turned me off. However, fuel cells port and starboard will be just as good (but limit your storage a little), and you can take them off for routine commuting. And, getting 15 more miles/ gallon than CARB bikes is like have a 4+ gallon tank. Fuzzy math!

Although, I'll never say any thing bad about the 2008+ KLR's impressive range. Still the best in the DS market.

I guess, the good thing is, I'm just now getting into the drama of what will happen to the bike. I'll only have about a month or so. It's damn near September now.
__

To the member in Phili, fly down to Roanoke, VA and do a buy and ride.

Dig this dealership. They have been around for at least three years.

They have 2 bikes for $6,999. http://www.frontlineeurosports.com/s...showrooms:2145

I do not know if they work on the bikes are not. I'm not too sure why they have two bikes left and the summer riding season is coming to an end.

Just save one for me this November.

The_Precious_Juice screwed with this post 08-16-2013 at 06:48 PM
Old 08-16-2013, 06:54 PM   #3234
The_Precious_Juice
Two pump chump

Fairly good YT video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhI9Y8xpScs

The rider believes the bike is really smooth.

The riding starts at 3:49. The bike sounds like a Swift Slient and Deadly Recon Marine from back in Nam.
At minute 5:40 the rider show cases the tight turning radius.

Solid video.

Sorry, if this has been already posted.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #3235
netteb16
hangersoutters

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulano View Post
Just picked up a Terra. Came with theTALL Seat Concepts saddle which adds approximately 2 inches to the height.

I will be converting it back to original height (34 + in.) so will have the foam and Carbon fiber / Gripper cover as extra. It sells for $159.99. I will let it go for $65 + shipping.

PM sent.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:00 PM   #3236
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulano View Post

PM also sent in case it's not spoken for yet
(straight up swap for my oem seat)
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:00 PM   #3237
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,223
Had a sudden loss of air in the rear today today going home from work. I was doing about 75 and went to pass a small tractor on the road when suddenly the rear end started fishtailing. It violently swung left and I thought I was going to do a low side, then swung harder to the right and tried to pitch me off. This continued on the pavement for a couple hundred feet, then we went offroad into the weeds at full speed.

The more I used the front brake the more violent it got. I bled off some speed by going on and off the clutch and it finally came to a stop. I don't know how I didn't lay it over.

The tire is almost new and seems fine, but the tube is absolutely destroyed and the bead came off. Luckily I still had cell signal so the wife came with a horse trailer and rescued me. Now I gotta take it apart to try and figure out what happened.

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:18 PM   #3238
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
mebbe check to make sure you've not spun the tire on the rim?

That sudden deflation is what scares me when riding hiway. I've gone to the super heavy duty tubes on my DP bikes as they have proved (in dirt situations) to deflate more gradually. I also run rimlocks. I once finished an off-road grand prix of 4 hour duration on a flat - using the super heavy rear tube with rim locks - the tire never left the rim. They make tire changing a pain, but they're worth it, I think.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:59 PM   #3239
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
The tire is almost new and seems fine, but the tube is absolutely destroyed and the bead came off. Luckily I still had cell signal so the wife came with a horse trailer and rescued me. Now I gotta take it apart to try and figure out what happened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawagumby View Post
mebbe check to make sure you've not spun the tire on the rim?

That sudden deflation is what scares me when riding hiway. I've gone to the super heavy duty tubes on my DP bikes as they have proved (in dirt situations) to deflate more gradually. I also run rimlocks. I once finished an off-road grand prix of 4 hour duration on a flat - using the super heavy rear tube with rim locks - the tire never left the rim. They make tire changing a pain, but they're worth it, I think.
"Sudden" air loss is common with tubes and why the auto industry went to tubeless decades ago. Punctures with tubeless release air more slowly. Not so with tubes. It goes almost instantly.

Good advice on the rim lock. This will help keep the bead from breaking ... but as mentioned, a pain for tire changing. But at least the tire does not come off the rim!
Also ... will prevent valve stem being yanked out by spinning.

I'd also guess you may have spun the wheel within the tire, pulling out valve stem. Nothing will help with sudden air loss when a valve stem is pulled ... BUT most times with a nail, screw or something, air loss can be slowed by using something like SLIME or Ride On in your tube ahead of time.

Neither SLIME or Ride On will make you invulnerable to flats ... but what they do most times is to SLOW SUDDEN AIR LOSS. This gives the pilot time to gently slow down and get off the road safely.

Now imagine your sudden air loss flat happened on a 70 mph corner with you fully committed, leaned hard over. Been there, seen it happen in person. No one was killed ... but it was touch and go. Only an expert rider saved himself.

The rear tire is bad ... the front can be even worse, especially if mid corner at speed.

I've run SLIME in my DR tires for about 4 years now. Mostly up front. SLIME does not last, turns to water after about 2 years. Never used Ride On, too expensive ... but said to be a BETTER PRODUCT! YMMV, IMHO, blah blah blah!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #3240
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
"Sudden" air loss is common with tubes and why the auto industry went to tubeless decades ago. Punctures with tubeless release air more slowly. Not so with tubes. It goes almost instantly.

Good advice on the rim lock. This will help keep the bead from breaking ... but as mentioned, a pain for tire changing. But at least the tire does not come off the rim!
Also ... will prevent valve stem being yanked out by spinning.

I'd also guess you may have spun the wheel within the tire, pulling out valve stem. Nothing will help with sudden air loss when a valve stem is pulled ... BUT most times with a nail, screw or something, air loss can be slowed by using something like SLIME or Ride On in your tube ahead of time.

Neither SLIME or Ride On will make you invulnerable to flats ... but what they do most times is to SLOW SUDDEN AIR LOSS. This gives the pilot time to gently slow down and get off the road safely.

Now imagine your sudden air loss flat happened on a 70 mph corner with you fully committed, leaned hard over. Been there, seen it happen in person. No one was killed ... but it was touch and go. Only an expert rider saved himself.

The rear tire is bad ... the front can be even worse, especially if mid corner at speed.

I've run SLIME in my DR tires for about 4 years now. Mostly up front. SLIME does not last, turns to water after about 2 years. Never used Ride On, too expensive ... but said to be a BETTER PRODUCT! YMMV, IMHO, blah blah blah!
I use slime in all of my tubes. No rim lock, but looking at the aftermath the stem is ripped clean from the tube. But this could have been from the fish tailing. I also checked both tires before I left work for air pressure, and there are no visual punctures in the tire from a mesquite thorn or anything. Something evacuated the air quickly, I have the feeling the tube had a catastrophic failure.

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote