Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2013, 09:35 PM   #3241
Chuffa
TR650 Terra

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuggedExposure View Post
I have the feeling the tube had a catastrophic failure.
Was this the stock tube? Glad you're still in one piece!
Chuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:50 PM   #3242
snailrider
Prostpector

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Precious_Juice View Post
I tried searching on this thread for any post on detuning the bike from stock HP, to the 48HP.

Here, in the States, I'd assume the stock is the higher horse power.

I'd like to detune for better fuel economy.

I'd be useing the bike to get to point A-B on and off road.
Plus, I'm a noob at off-roading.
__

I'm suprised the price is so low. There are 2 bikes back at my home town sale for $6,999. On sale, meaning they initialy inflated the MSRP.

_
The only qualms would be garage support while on the road. It looks like it is even less than BMW.

I really like how the bike is 23lbs or so lighter than the Sertao, and no ABS is on board. I have the Sertao at 433lbs or so. Furthermore, the TR650's mufflers are smaller than the Sertao. I really really like this.
The Sertao does have better room for storing gear, and the back is fully equiped to for a top box, and the rear has a small container.
Even though folk do not like the TR650 kick stand, no hockey puck mod is needed.

I like how the bike went with 18" tyres on the rear. More options for consumers.

__

How is the battary? Is a lithium required for better starts?
_
The bike comes with 1 year warrenty. Does anyone know how much extended warrenties cost?
__
thanks for reading
http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/ you can see what some of the reported mileage is for the regular people.

Detuning, an interesting concept at first blush. The reality is the better and more efficient the combustion the more power and economy. If you want power, your fuel economy will suffer, if you want economy, stay off the "YIPPEEEE!!

I was reading up on compression, valve time etc, and how that effects combustion and combustion pressures and the workings of higher performance engines. Seems that Husky nailed the perfect combination of compression, valve timing, duration an the other parameters.

Take a look at the other bikes. The Husky does quite well for mileage, and pack more ponies for a 650. Some BMW 650 are quite impressive, some not so impressive, and that is a detuned Husky, or rather, the Husky is a BMW on steriod.

To a small extent suspension can have an effect on economy. If the bikes rides level, it is not using energy going up and down. Smooth road vs rough road, good suspension will help a rough road seem like a smooth road. I have to admit, my TR rides every bit as good as any of my R100GS's ever did. And they got a whopping 38 mpg.

My TR has a better range than any bike I have owned to date, I think you will be fine. Just enjoy the power, it is liberating.
snailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:29 AM   #3243
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Oddometer: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuffa View Post
Was this the stock tube? Glad you're still in one piece!
No, its either tube #2 or 3... I replaced the stock one with a cheapo 'Outlaw 'extra thick' tube that was junk. I believe it was a Pirelli tube. Usually I have good results with those.

Either way, I'm glad I didn't get bucked at full speed.

How many people use baby powder on their tubes?

Border Road 100 Border Road Rally Raid
'13 Husky Terra 650, '08 Kawasaki Meanstreak 1600, '95 DR350S
RuggedExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:32 AM   #3244
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawagumby View Post
mebbe check to make sure you've not spun the tire on the rim?

That sudden deflation is what scares me when riding hiway. I've gone to the super heavy duty tubes on my DP bikes as they have proved (in dirt situations) to deflate more gradually. I also run rimlocks. I once finished an off-road grand prix of 4 hour duration on a flat - using the super heavy rear tube with rim locks - the tire never left the rim. They make tire changing a pain, but they're worth it, I think.
I've always hated rim locks but this may be enough to make me go back to it.
How would I check to see if I've spun the tire on the rim?

Old 08-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #3245
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
With race car tires, we just mark the tire where it aligns to the valve.
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #3246
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
Quote:

How many people use baby powder on their tubes?
I always do - some tube/tire mixes really seem to chafe a lot - enough to eventually wear a hole - also I think it might reduce the chance of binding and getting pinched at the first inflation.

re spinning:
It's hard to tell if the tube is completely blown apart...but if the stem is the only thing torn, then that's it.

But you can tell before hand by not putting the nut on the valve stem, if the tire starts to spin you can see the valve stem cock over at an angle. Then it's time to remount the tire. I usually do that on my dirt bikes, and just seal around the hole with some shoe goo or whatever I have laying around to keep the sand out.
Most open class bikes use two rimlocks, and the torque that the TR has is more than enough to spin that tire, IMO, if it is being ridden aggressively.

Believe it or not, on hard-pack I've had more problems with the front tire spinning under hard braking even with a rimlock in place. I also wire-brush the rubber out of the little serrations on the inside edge of the rims to keep the bond between the rim and tire as strong as possible.

kawagumby screwed with this post 08-18-2013 at 11:07 AM
kawagumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #3247
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
I use slime in all of my tubes. No rim lock, but looking at the aftermath the stem is ripped clean from the tube. But this could have been from the fish tailing. I also checked both tires before I left work for air pressure, and there are no visual punctures in the tire from a mesquite thorn or anything. Something evacuated the air quickly, I have the feeling the tube had a catastrophic failure.
Impossible to say when the valve stem was yanked out. If you were spinning it up hard right before your flat ... then maybe it happened then. But once flat it's easy for the valve stem to get yanked out. In Mexico that can be the kiss of death. A pulled valve stem is about the only thing a good Llantero cannot repair. Rule One: as soon as you feel a wiggle, STOP. (hard to notice a flat riding off road in sand! ) ... and THAT is why I carry 3 tubes on board. Two for me, one for a buddy.

I wish someone would try Ride-On, I'd really like to know how good it really is when it's in your tube for a year or so. Never heard reports from dual sport guys on this product.

SLIME gets watery, becomes ineffective over time and severe heat exposure. Lots of guys claim SLIME makes a big mess. I question if they've actually ever used it. SLIME is water soluble. Rinse it off with water, all good. (TIP: if in the desert ... don't use your drinking water for this!! )
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #3248
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
I've always hated rim locks but this may be enough to make me go back to it.
How would I check to see if I've spun the tire on the rim?
With a Rim Lock, your tire won't spin ... so valve stem should remain stood straight up.

If it's angled over ... then you've had movement. Add a 2nd rim lock could be one solution ... or ease up on the gas!

Rim Lock Note:
A friend riding a KTM 950 SE installed the latest, trick Motion Pro light weight rim lock on his front wheel. The damn rim lock punctured his tube! This was confirmed, I saw it in person. Be interesting to hear Motion Pro comment on this. He'd hit a few rocks and had done a few hard landings from wheelies ... but that in NO WAY should allow the rim lock to puncture his brand new, quality HD tube.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #3249
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
With a Rim Lock, your tire won't spin ... so valve stem should remain stood straight up.

If it's angled over ... then you've had movement. Add a 2nd rim lock could be one solution ... or ease up on the gas!

Rim Lock Note:
A friend riding a KTM 950 SE installed the latest, trick Motion Pro light weight rim lock on his front wheel. The damn rim lock punctured his tube! This was confirmed, I saw it in person. Be interesting to hear Motion Pro comment on this. He'd hit a few rocks and had done a few hard landings from wheelies ... but that in NO WAY should allow the rim lock to puncture his brand new, quality HD tube.
I've run the Motion Pro lightweight rim locks for 8,000 miles now. Good stuff. Nothing complicated or magical about them.
As I often write in my reports at work; "Possible operator error"
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:09 PM   #3250
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post

Rim Lock Note:
Aside from being a pain in the ass when fixing a flat, that's the reason I stopped running a rim lock. The stock one on mr DR350 rubbed a hole in the tube and I swore them off.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:33 PM   #3251
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
Quote:
Aside from being a pain in the ass when fixing a flat, that's the reason I stopped running a rim lock. The stock one on mr DR350 rubbed a hole in the tube and I swore them off.

A standard rimlock in good condition would not cause a flat, IMO. If a rimlock has lost the rubber buffering around the metal, then problems could occur.

I've been riding dirt for over 50 years on virtually every brand and size of dirt bike and never had a rim lock puncture a tube (that I can recall anyways). Rimlocks typically make a slight imprint on the tube, but that's not wear. A rimlock needs to be inspected now and then like anything else.

Some guys have trouble mounting tires, causing the rimlock to pinch the tube. The trick is to inflate the tube slightly before you finish mounting the tire so the tube can't get caught between the rimlock and the tire.

kawagumby screwed with this post 08-18-2013 at 06:42 PM
kawagumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:58 PM   #3252
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Spent all day working on the damn rack...

This is the most time consuming part. These have to be just the right length with an offset 8* cut:

I like the angled bend better than my original one, follows the shape of the tail:

Old 08-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #3253
RuggedExposure
wandering the desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawagumby View Post
A standard rimlock in good condition would not cause a flat, IMO. If a rimlock has lost the rubber buffering around the metal, then problems could occur.

I've been riding dirt for over 50 years on virtually every brand and size of dirt bike and never had a rim lock puncture a tube (that I can recall anyways). Rimlocks typically make a slight imprint on the tube, but that's not wear. A rimlock needs to be inspected now and then like anything else.

Some guys have trouble mounting tires, causing the rimlock to pinch the tube. The trick is to inflate the tube slightly before you finish mounting the tire so the tube can't get caught between the rimlock and the tire.
It may have been worn out, but the edge of the rim lock on my DR350 was razor sharp and wore a nice sliver into the tube that slime wouldn't keep shut for long.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:22 PM   #3254
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,395
On my dual sported dirt bikes that will run on the street from time to time, I run Motion Pro's lightweight rim locks. Makes it easy to balance a wheel you don't want covered with weights.

I always have a rim lock on the rear, sometimes on the front....but with or without a rim lock, I back the stem nut off a few threads so that if if the tire does spin, it gives a bit of flex in letting the valve stem creep at an angle rather than just ripping it straight off.

I took the Terra on a several hundred mile trip this weekend, camping up in Wyoming with some riding buddies - with a couple hundred of it offroad at a good pace. Aired the front down to 23psi, the rear to 25 psi and the bike stayed planted and actually handled the dirt pretty well for as heavy as it is.

It started running hot the other day before the trip, and I spaced burping the radiator again. On Saturday it started running hot again, but only did it for a while and didn't do it again the rest of the weekend....strange.

This week I'll burp it again (been a few months since I did it).
The only thing I can think of is that when it gets hot and the catch tank fills, it loses it's siphon and doesn't bring the water back to the radiator - and an air pocket is born.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:45 PM   #3255
hasenpfeffer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
I took the Terra on a several hundred mile trip this weekend, camping up in Wyoming with some riding buddies - with a couple hundred of it offroad at a good pace. Aired the front down to 23psi, the rear to 25 psi and the bike stayed planted and actually handled the dirt pretty well for as heavy as it is.

It started running hot the other day before the trip, and I spaced burping the radiator again. On Saturday it started running hot again, but only did it for a while and didn't do it again the rest of the weekend....strange.
Glad to hear you made it up there. Maybe we can ride again sometime, I had a lot of fun.
hasenpfeffer is offline   Reply With Quote