Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #316
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
The point of a bike like the 690 is that is a hell of a lot harder to get in over your head offroad when you are on an actual offroad bike.
I understand where your coming from but at the end of the day its not a dirt bike its a dual sport that hides it weight better than any other in that class but it still is a pig compared to a 450 and will bite you given the chance. I have a friend who is an A class XC racer who still gets in over his head hard core off road with his 690. I equate it to the little punks with WRXs and Evos, high powered awd cars that handle very well and mask mistakes in driving until the operator is so far over there skill level and the cars handling level that they wad them up left and right.
dmaxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #317
mattomoto
2 wheels rule

Oddometer: 1,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallachian Spikes View Post
I take my KLR "ALMOST" anywhere I take my 450 EXC, I just do it ALOT slower & feel ten times the sense of acomplishment at having done so & that in itself gives me great satisfaction. Yes, I like the 450 EXC better than my KLR but, if I was FORCED to sell one I'd keep the KLR for its practicality. As a huge fan of the KLR I'm PAINFULLY aware of its short commings. The 650 Terra "APPEARS" to be an answer to every KLR owners prayers & if Husqvarna can't sell a boat load of them......Expect them to go out of buisness because they just don't know how to sell motorcycles.
I think you nailed it there. Same with my "F" Dakar and my TE450. Would lose the 450 before the Dakar. My Dakar with it's mods is very capable and I think the Terra would be a great replacement for her.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:22 PM   #318
rotten
LOST AGAIN

Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil View Post
Looks like a true Italian KLR to me. I'm sure that's what the suits were aiming for. Hard to dispute the following of the Japanese "dual sports" like the KLR, DR and XRL's. These bikes hold their own in the market. Maybe not the Honda compared to the other two, but...
I don't care for Japanese bikes, and the Husky (if I were in the market) would be a great choice.

That said, I'm sure glad I snagged my 630 when I did. While not perfect, it's a better choice for my riding needs than the new 650. I do look forward to seeng the new 650's in person. Maybe I'll even get a test ride if there any demos at Tri-County.
Initially I did not really see the correlation between the Terra and the KLR now after some more reading, I understand. Its a do a lot and great at nothing. Each has its apparent benefits and weakness. I'd go for the Terra before a KLR out of 18" rear wheel. I also figure there is a fair amount of weight that can be shed off the Terra like the dual cans making room for a "Adventure Tank" style add on.
rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #319
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,469
Quote:
Couldn't agree more! What I really want is for Yamaha to build a dual sport (or sumo) around the 700 Raptor power plant, with a 6 speed & modern suspension. That's a bike that would EASILY be worth 10 grand & KTM would never sell a 690 enduro again.

I agree that it sucks the 630 is gone but, listening to Husky purists complain about the 650 Terra reminds me of Harley purists/pirates bad mouthing the V-Rod.

I take my KLR "ALMOST" anywhere I take my 450 EXC, I just do it ALOT slower & feel ten times the sense of acomplishment at having done so & that in itself gives me great satisfaction. Yes, I like the 450 EXC better than my KLR but, if I was FORCED to sell one I'd keep the KLR for its practicality. As a huge fan of the KLR I'm PAINFULLY aware of its short commings. The 650 Terra "APPEARS" to be an answer to every KLR owners prayers & if Husqvarna can't sell a boat load of them......Expect them to go out of buisness because they just don't know how to sell motorcycles.
I've waited years for Yamaha to do something in the middle weight class of dualsports. Basically, they are dead to me now!

My KLR was very capable. I spent a good bit of money making it so. People always chime in about the KLR being a piece of crap and not worth owning, blah, blah, blah...! It's simply not true. These bikes will go just about anywhere and will haul big loads doing it. If the engine was a little more powerful, I'd still be riding one. Great bikes! That's why Kawasaki sells so many of them. I believe the TR650 will be the same way for Husqvarna. It will do everything the KLR will do, but will do it better and with better components. I plan to keep one KLR frame as a long term project bike. The main focus now is fitting a complete front and rear KX450F suspension and wheels to it. The TR650 has killed everything else for me. It will be my main ride very soon!

I've owned KTM motorcycles in the past. My main worry with them was getting back home at the end of the day. I just couldn't deal with that anymore and switched to the KLR. The piece of mind was enlightening! Going back to a eurobike has all my buddies, giving me grief as I said that would never happen again. I think this bike could be a game changer for Husqvarna.
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:36 PM   #320
Xanthophyll
Dirt Roads of MN

Oddometer: 130
Called my one (and only) Husqvarna dealer in Minnesota today.... they're not looking to have one for 4 more weeks! I am not a buyer till next year anyway (the long cold winters of Minnesota would cut my warranty in half... if they're a year long) ...but was planing a visit to take a look regardless.

The waiting game continues.
Xanthophyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #321
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxmike View Post
They make 2 bikes with that motor, just not the modern suspension. there both under 10 grand US if you compare them to the UK spec bikes on Yamaha uk's site. im pretty sure they would still sell 690's even if Yamaha brought their big bore singles to the US. because there will always be people who think they need the needle point precision of the ktm as well as the few who actually do. For the rest of us the new 650 Terra is more than enough bike to get us in over our heads in the middle of BFE and have a smile on our face while doing it.
To be honest I haven't pain close attention to the XT 660, as it is not available here in the states. The 660 is the OLD Raptor power plant not the NEW (actual displacement 686) 700. Has Yamaha actually upgraded the Euro XT with the new 700 power plant????

Of course KTM will still sell 690s to the faithfull but, I have an '06 (first year model) 700 Raptor & have had ZERO issues with it. The same can not be said by most 690 owners & I LOVE KTM so I'm not bashing. An XT 700 (with modern suspension) would come very close & maybe even equal the performance of the 690 enduro with anvil tough dependability.
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #322
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallachian Spikes View Post
An XT 700 (with modern suspension) would come very close .
yea if it weighed 300 rather than 400
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:58 PM   #323
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock View Post
yea if it weighed 300 rather than 400
Hell, getting it under 460 lbs would be good.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but Im just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:04 PM   #324
DesertRatliff
Tinker Tinker Ride Ride

Oddometer: 264
Sigh...another go-anywhere-do-anything KLR owner that was serioulsy interested in what could have been its replacement. After years of waiting for a 640 Adventure update or a 660 Tenere to come stateside, I can now only sigh. Aside from that bullet-proof and efficient Rotax motor, nothing on the new Husky bike appears better to me than my USD sprung, 10 inch travel, 380 pound KLR.

Too heavy, not enough suspension travel, and not enough wind protection. Husky, like everyone else, missed the mark for me again. Guess I'll keep riding The Big until somebody can get it right...

Old 10-02-2012, 09:09 PM   #325
Xcuvator
Justa Venturer

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRatliff View Post
Sigh...another go-anywhere-do-anything KLR owner that was serioulsy interested in what could have been its replacement. After years of waiting for a 640 Adventure update or a 660 Tenere to come stateside, I can now only sigh. Aside from that bullet-proof and efficient Rotax motor, nothing on the new Husky bike appears better to me than my USD sprung, 10 inch travel, 380 pound KLR.

Too heavy, not enough suspension travel, and not enough wind protection. Husky, like everyone else, missed the mark for me again. Guess I'll keep riding The Big until somebody can get it right...
What all did you need to do to get your KLR clear down to 380?

So much riding-so little time
Xcuvator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:18 PM   #326
netteb16
hangersoutters

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcuvator View Post
What all did you need to do to get your KLR clear down to 380?
Can't you tell? He doesn't use a seat!
netteb16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:08 AM   #327
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,469
Nice bike DesertRatliff! Here's my 2008 KLR650 with new KX450F inverted forks and trees fitted using an Emig Racing conversion stem. As pictured with a Trail Tech Vapor computer, JNS skidplate, (cycleracks.com) rear rack, KTM folding mirrors, FMF header, Hindle midpipe and a titanium GSXR100 muffler, it weighed 371lbs (with an empty fuel tank). After I added the 7.5 gallon IMS fuel tank my buddies dubbed it, the Exxon Valdez. This bike featured the first 2008 KLR 'Long Travel' MOAB shock built by Cogent Dynamics and 2007 shock linkage for more travel. Great bike! My next steps to reduce weight on this bike were to add a Rekluse auto-clutch, remove the rear brake foot controls and replace the clutch cable and lever with a handlebar mounted Rekluse rear brake lever. I also considered removing the airbox and replacing the steel subframe with an aluminum subframe from a KLR600. Never got around to any of that as the project changed.

Some serious weight reduction was done on this bike. I feel that similar reductions could be made to the new Husky TR650.

SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:25 AM   #328
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthophyll View Post
Called my one (and only) Husqvarna dealer in Minnesota today.... they're not looking to have one for 4 more weeks! I am not a buyer till next year anyway (the long cold winters of Minnesota would cut my warranty in half... if they're a year long) ...but was planing a visit to take a look regardless.

The waiting game continues.
Is pricing better in late Fall / winter?

Every year has a winter; you will have 5 months of no riding in every 12 month period.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:29 AM   #329
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRatliff View Post

The Terra and the KLR will have a very similar weight when you do the same mods, and I doubt the stock suspension is any worse than a KLR....
Old 10-03-2012, 05:16 AM   #330
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,209
How did the thread turn into the "pics of my heavily modded KLR" thread?

Oiy
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote