Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 05:24 AM   #331
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock View Post
yea if it weighed 300 rather than 400
My '06 700 Raptor (don't know about later years) has a claimed dry weight of 398 & that's a quad. If Yamaha builds the XT 700 it shouldn't be to hard to keep the weight closer to 300 than 400, if they intend to sell it in a similar price range as the 690. I'd go for an XT 700 if the weight was closer to 400, if the price was similar to the KLR.
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:40 AM   #332
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
How did the thread turn into the "pics of my heavily modded KLR" thread?

Oiy
Probably because the 650 Terra is purpose built as the logical replacement for thr KLR. Guys with heavily moded KLRs are going to be the first to take a 650 Terra home. Anyone who wouldn't appreciate a photo of a heavily moded KLR probably hates (or at least doesn't "get") the 650 Terra anyway. I LOVE the 650 Terra but, I ride a "moderately" moded KLR so go figgure.
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:43 AM   #333
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,927
Saw my first Terra ad in Cycle World this month. I hope they sell like Happy Meals. Now all you early adopters need get out and buy these things. I need your help so Husky/BMW can afford that rumored street legal two stroke.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:57 AM   #334
DesertRatliff
Tinker Tinker Ride Ride

Oddometer: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallachian Spikes View Post
Probably because the 650 Terra is purpose built as the logical replacement for thr KLR. Guys with heavily moded KLRs are going to be the first to take a 650 Terra home. Anyone who wouldn't appreciate a photo of a heavily moded KLR probably hates (or at least doesn't "get") the 650 Terra anyway. I LOVE the 650 Terra but, I ride a "moderately" moded KLR so go figgure.
I think you got it right Spikes...The TR650 is the first bike since the X-Challenge came out that got my attention. There were just too many short comings in the stock X-Challenge (or any of the other bikes out there) for me to justify the purchase, although for years after reading Colbatch's threads, I contemplated the purchase and the manditory mods.

This past summer, the Husky looked great on paper, but the reality is (again, for me) that it just isn't any better than what I've got. I'm preaching to the majority on this site, but it would be nice for once to buy a purpose-built adventure bike and not have to throw another $3K-$4K at it to get it right.
Although, I guess Sam M and I would probably do that anyway.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:11 AM   #335
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,471
Quote:
How did the thread turn into the "pics of my heavily modded KLR" thread?
Quote:
I've known about a Husqvarna dualsport since January. A Husqvarna factory rep at the Cycle World IMS told me that Husky was building a new 650cc dualsport motorcycle that was designed to directly compete against the KLR650. The one mistake he made was that, he said it would more than likely have the parallel twin 800cc engine destroked and underbored to 650cc. The Strada concept bike was the first clue of what the new bike would look like. They didn't deviate much from the original Strada concept. They even kept the name for the street version.

We've only been talking about the Terra being the replacement for the KLR since the beginning of the thread.

SamM screwed with this post 10-03-2012 at 02:20 PM
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:23 AM   #336
Xanthophyll
Dirt Roads of MN

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Is pricing better in late Fall / winter?

Every year has a winter; you will have 5 months of no riding in every 12 month period.
Right, but if I purchased now... it would sit for the next 5+ months until Spring. (April more than likely here in Minnesota) By then the 1-year warranty is half-over before I even really get to ride it any great distance.
Xanthophyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:23 AM   #337
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Quote:
I think you got it right Spikes...The TR650 is the first bike since the X-Challenge came out that got my attention. There were just too many short comings in the stock X-Challenge (or any of the other bikes out there) for me to justify the purchase, although for years after reading Colbatch's threads, I contemplated the purchase and the manditory mods.

This past summer, the Husky looked great on paper, but the reality is (again, for me) that it just isn't any better than what I've got. I'm preaching to the majority on this site, but it would be nice for once to buy a purpose-built adventure bike and not have to throw another $3K-$4K at it to get it right.

Although, I guess SamM and I would probably do that anyway.
It's a sickness, I tell ya! I'm in the process of sticking a new engine in my KLR. The Terra has me rethinking that plan. And yes, I'll farkle the beans out of mine! One good thing, if I part out the KLRE I'll have plenty of cash for farkles. Honestly, I don't think the TR will need much. My shortlist is: a Rekluse clutch, aluminum handlebars, handguards, gel grips, a higher windscreen, black Excel wheels, rear racks for my Caribou Cases and to cut 50lbs off it.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:28 AM   #338
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Quote:
Right, but if I purchased now... it would sit for the next 5+ months until Spring. (April more than likely here in Minnesota) By then the 1-year warranty is half-over before I even really get to ride it any great distance.
That's my dilema too. We have Winter here and riding season is just about over for the year. I'm looking at a Jan/Feb purchase.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:36 AM   #339
rotten
LOST AGAIN

Oddometer: 670
I don't understand the steel swingarm I figured there was a reason swingarms were made out of aluminum since the late 70s?

"The rear wheel is controlled by a torsionally-stiff dual swing arm made of pentagonal steel tubing in conjunction with a centrally-mounted rear shock with progressive linkage."
rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:54 AM   #340
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,326
Quote:
How did this turn into an "I'm an attention whore...look at the pictures of how bad ass I made my KLR after dumping thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours into it...it's so much better than what a stock TR650 will ever be"??

09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:56 AM   #341
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten View Post
I don't understand the steel swingarm I figured there was a reason swingarms were made out of aluminum since the late 70s?

"The rear wheel is controlled by a torsionally-stiff dual swing arm made of pentagonal steel tubing in conjunction with a centrally-mounted rear shock with progressive linkage."
$$$.

Real shame, too, unlike front forks and wheels that is not a part that's easy to swap. Half unsprung weight...
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:20 AM   #342
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten View Post

Probably because steel is a lot less expensive than aluminum right now. If they did it right, the steel part would be lighter than the aluminum one, but they probably screwed that up too.
tbarstow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #343
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM View Post
I've know about a Husqvarna dualsport since January. A Husqvarna factory rep at the Cycle World IMS told me that Husky was building a new 650cc dualsport motorcycle that was designed to directly compete against the KLR650. The one mistake he made was that, he said it would more than likely have the parallel twin 800cc engine destroked and underbored to 650cc. The Strada concept bike was the first clue of what the new bike would look like. They didn't deviate much from the original Strada concept. They even kept the name for the street version.

We've only been talking about the Terra being the replacement for the KLR since the beginning of the thread.

I wish your contact was right about a multi, that is what I have been hoping for, a lighter, smaller twin. The KTM rumor mill spoke of that possibility a few years ago. I got so desperate I looked at a Moto Guzzi v7. A 430 lb twin is possible.

More on point, I am concerned about range for a do it yourself Adventure bike. Based on Husqvarna's own specs, it is going to be a 55mpg bike. Range will be short of 200 miles. FI tanks typically are difficult to find and expensive when you do, because most have the pump in the tank.

The forks look beefy, it all depends on the quality of the internals. They could have added a smidge more travel. Then so did the forks on my F800gs and they weren't very good. I hope the accountant who decided to add insult to injury by crimping the fork cartridge tube to save a few bucks was not involved.

Those two issues plus price, will scare off some KLR riders. I know that because my KLX 650, sold from 93-96, was available to them and did not sell due to the difference in price. Mine will be the standard I will measure against.

The hook for me is the promised 58hp, the rest will depend on how easy it will be to modify into what I really want.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:15 AM   #344
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 745
Quote:
To be honest I haven't pain close attention to the XT 660, as it is not available here in the states. The 660 is the OLD Raptor power plant not the NEW (actual displacement 686) 700. Has Yamaha actually upgraded the Euro XT with the new 700 power plant????

Of course KTM will still sell 690s to the faithfull but, I have an '06 (first year model) 700 Raptor & have had ZERO issues with it. The same can not be said by most 690 owners & I LOVE KTM so I'm not bashing. An XT 700 (with modern suspension) would come very close & maybe even equal the performance of the 690 enduro with anvil tough dependability.
there FI like a 700 raptor, unlike the 660 raptor with its shity dual carbs. but past that i don't really know. since there FI you would think they could be made EPA legal for sale here pretty easy and that yamaha would at least try to sell some here but NOOOOOO.
dmaxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:38 AM   #345
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
The hook for me is the promised 58hp, the rest will depend on how easy it will be to modify into what I really want.
I'm looking forward to a test ride...I too like the hp boost out of the 650. For some, it may be easier to swap out the front forks on a Sertao - with it's larger tank and already included removable windscreen, better warranty, etc.
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote