User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2012, 03:30 AM   #451
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,375
I will get dates on Monday.

I can't say I like the bikes looks - it's the engine that drew me in. It looks like it could be the right balance of power and longevity. Time will tell. Sort the suspension, protection, make up some pannier racks and head out there.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:41 AM   #452
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
I will get dates on Monday.

I can't say I like the bikes looks - it's the engine that drew me in. It looks like it could be the right balance of power and longevity. Time will tell. Sort the suspension, protection, make up some pannier racks and head out there.
That's my thinking as well. Same reason I bought the DR actually, though this one trades some more weight for some more power.

BTW did you ever blow up a DR Davo? I remember you from the very early days of the DR thread.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:22 PM   #453
Pepe11
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Ángeles Crest Hwy

[IMG][/IMG]

This bike is great!!!
Did a 100 mile ride today. It's a super a fun bike in the canyons! I didn't go over 4.5K RPMs. At 5th gear, 4.5k RPMs the bike is at 70mph - no vibrations. I don't think I can write a better report than Kelly already did at Cafe Husky forum, but few words that I can repeat: it feels light and nimble, the engine is really smooth, could hardly feel the wind but for a long ride it will be nice to have a screen. The seat is pretty good. We hardly took any breaks, by the time I was done, my butt was a bit sore but not too bad.
My friend with the 800gs really liked it. He said that if this bike had come out a year or so ago when he bought his bike, he would have had a hard time picking which one to get between them two - "for the price of the Terra and how it rides vs the 800gs, is hard to beat the Terra..."

When we were ready to head back down the mountain, the bike didnt want to start. I checked that the bike and everything was correct, pressed the start button twice and nothing, no sound, nothing. I turned the key off and on again and then it started ok. I have heard, but without doing much research, that the 650gs has had such problems when starting. I'll see if this is a recurring thing...
Pepe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #454
chiefrider
Chrome won't get you home

Oddometer: 2,227
A week ago last Saturday I went to Bill's Husky. Bill was just rolling out a 2013 TR650 Husqvarna, and invited me to take a test ride. Since I just stepped off my TE630, I took the opportunity to compare my bike with the new BMW-motored kid on the block.

A walkaround revealed that the TR is a more of a street bike than the TE, with a plusher, wider and longer saddle. The instrument package is larger and easier to read...the TE is bare minimum. A cush hub means more unsprung weight out back, but likely better chain life. This bike, unadorned, weighs about 60 lbs. more than the TE similarly equipt, but with my 6.6 gallon tank topped, full bash plate, reinforced rear frame, complete rack system with Pelican cases, handlebar guards, centerstand, and windshield with brackets, my TE approaches the TR's heft.

The TR has a more standard frame than it's BMW cousin. The fuel filler is up near the steering head, rather near the rear of the saddle.

The factory claims 58 horsepower goes through the 5 speed box. Bill says my TE would likely be a bit quicker.

Fired up, she's quiet chuffing through twin exhausts. On the street, she's very smooth, more so than my not-too-bad TE. In 3rd gear, she pull cleanly from a little over 2000 RPM. She feels lighter than the 410 lbs. with 3.5 gallons onboard.

I think this would be a great ride-to-Alaska bike. Accessories from Husky, and I'm sure the aftermarket, will be available before summer.

I was impressed. Do I have buyers remorse for the TE630? No, but for what I like to do, this TR650 may be a better foundation for an adventure bike than it's predecessor.

Tom in Salem
Old 10-14-2012, 01:06 AM   #455
TierHawg
Herder of the J-Cats

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calikatoom View Post
I am heading out the door to the Husqvarna dealer meeting in the next few minutes. We will get to ride the TR650 and the whole lineup tomorrow afternoon!

I rode the new TR650 Terra for the first time yesterday and was VERY impressed. The bike is everything we hoped it would be. The motor is sweet. The suspension is sporty and offroad worthy. The dashboard/tachometer is killer. The price is spectacular. Only 500 bucks more than KLR650? No question which way I would personally go.

I hope to have plenty of updates on accessories by the time I return on Tuesday.

Cheers!
Gail from Modesto
Any updates on this Gail?
TierHawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:10 AM   #456
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
That's my thinking as well. Same reason I bought the DR actually, though this one trades some more weight for some more power.

BTW did you ever blow up a DR Davo? I remember you from the very early days of the DR thread.
Its got 90,000 on it. It does not use oil - it will be for sale - wanna buy it? Shipping could be exy
Old 10-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #457
AltRoute
AltRoute

Oddometer: 281
Schulz Cycle & ATV just outside Pittsburgh are proudly showing off there TR650 - a bit tricky to find the place but a great team of people with the time to talk about anything Husqy.
Got to sit on the bike - its higher than I thought, just got my toes on the terra firma, but I did get both toes down ( I'm about 5'10 - and all my DS bikes had to be lowered except the DR650 I had) - seat has a good spread on it not like a true enduro/MX that are sooo comfy after an hour or two . Now I didn't get to ride it so its just a first impression.
The dash is so nice to see in that price range, comparing it to the DR,XR,GS - will not have to shell out for a Trail Tech, always good - talking about things to get - when I get it ( next year I hope ) I would have to get a screen and a skid plate. There is NOTHING under there, I mean nothing. Also agree with other posts, that rear break is a bit weedy, need to look at something that will take a knock or two.
I am a sucker for duel pipes and love the look of them - I know they add weight but I will take the bigger hips
I would love to hear'em with some FMF Q4's

So far I like the bike but need to take a test drive - I'll have to wait because if I like it too much I just might have to buy it right there, and this side Christmas would be a big mistake
AltRoute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:18 PM   #458
Pepe11
Adventurer

Another great ride today! I now have like 300 miles on it...

[/IMG]
Old 10-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #459
Pepe11
Adventurer

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 10-14-2012, 07:38 PM   #460
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe11 View Post
Another great ride today! I now have like 300 miles on it...

[/IMG]
Nice pic Pepe and congrats on your new bike.

Look forward to hearing more of your impressions.
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:45 PM   #461
Pepe11
Adventurer

[QUOTE=modeselector;19818689]Nice pic Pepe and congrats on your new bike.

Thanks!
Old 10-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #462
toyboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
TR650 is a bargain!

Picked up my bike today. Got mine from Toytech in Grantville PA. Great great shop. Can't say enough about them there. Bike was a demo bike from the Atlantic city dealer show and had 150 miles on it. Bike was perfect, no scars, scratches or other wise. Everything about the bike is BMW excluding the forks and bodywork. All the switchgear, wheels, brakes, handlebar controls, handlebars down the the bar end weights. The kicker about this is, all the parts are quality proven parts so no growing pains that I can think of. Spare parts are out there in abundance already via the F/G650GS. Already got a rear spare wheel from a 2010 GS in a 17. If I can score a 19 G650GS wheel, I can have a good street set of wheels and some dual sport wheels.
Put 262 miles on her. Really like it. It is light yet has enough weight to her that it road very comfortable and felt steady. My other prime mover is a Yamaha Super Tenere so I am used to a bigger feel etc but did not feel like I was going backwards to a dirt bike. Power is really good, REALLY smooth engine. Hard to believe it is a a single.
Really comes on as noted at 4500 RPM. about 250 RPM is 5 mph so I was cruising at 75 miles per hour in 5th gear at about 5000 RPM. Marelli fuel injection system worked flawlessly with no hiccups in the 2 days I rode it. Brakes are really strong, did a few oops, I am missing my turn stops and bike took it all very well. Suspension feels really nice on the road. Firm but softing up a tad. The bike overall feels like almost street bike-ish but still dirt enough to feel dirt bike-ish. Very flickable, went where you pointed it, will wheelie pretty easily. It is by no means a TE anything but I think it will do dirt as good if not better than anything else in it's class. It is no KTM 690 either but I know I am not going anywhere far on the KTM street wise, but I would on this with no worries. I would go anywhere dirt wise the KTM would go too. I think it is a perfect mixture.

Couple of things I noted about it. I do not like the bars, too low for me and they are the old school GS bars. I plan on installing Pro Tapers with a taller bend along with some CYCRA hand guards. The handle bar mounts are in 2 pieces that will remove easily and I can have them machined to accommodate. Motosports on Cafe Husky will have a bolt on triple clamp mount set up with fat bars if wanted by the end of the week. Seat is a tad stiff but oddly enough felt fine, no hot spots at 3 plus hours of riding yesterday so I am going to leave it alone. Wide enough and feels comfortable. The tach is fairly large and visible but they used white lettering on a light gray back ground. A better contrast in colors would have been better served. Being picky at this point to find something...
There is going to be a windscreen from Husky, just a small one that mounts to the four screws above the headlight and I think anything would help. I like a windscreen, even a small one. Could even be a numberplate and I would be ok with it...
I think for me and my style of riding the gears are a tad tall and I plan on going down 1 tooth on the counter shaft sprocket. Had to down shift just a few times so I think the gearing change will be perfect for my style. Would enhance any planned off roading too.
Too new to check the mileage so will wait to get about 1000 miles on it before I start checking mpg. Does seem quite good thus far. Does have a air temp gauge that seemed very accurate, a clock, trip meter and a I think it is a top or average speed. Need to look at that. Did note that it starts the trip meter when fuel light comes on. Did take what seemed to be longer than normal for low fuel light to go out when driving after refueled but it came on when it should have and that is all that matters really.
All in all, I needed this bike like I needed hemorrhoids but I just could not pass it up. You get a BMW for about 1700 less with better components by way of suspension and better performance stats. This bike is a hell of a bargain at the retail price of 6999.00. (Believe it or not, the dealer cost on this i think is about 6400 hundred so not a ton of mark up on it. Husky strained to keep it under 7k, hence no skid plate etc) Warranty is 1 year unlimited mileage.
Husky has put together a real winner at a bargain price. There will be no left overs of this thing. If you are thinking about getting one, better do it soon. Toytech has already sold the 2 he had in less than a week and is scheduled for 4 more and that is it for the year. He is one of the largest Husky dealers on the East coast sales number wise. I don't think there will be an abundance of them.
With a few mods like exhaust and airbox and a remap. This bike will be fantastic.
05 DRZ400E, 07 G650XC, 13 Husky TR650 TERRA

toyboy screwed with this post 10-15-2012 at 11:10 AM
toyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #463
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,002
Toyboy,

By your description the power and smoothness seemed note worthy.
How does it compare to the X-challenge?

Your info on speed/RPM seems to match up to a stock X-Challenge if you factor in some speedo error.
Did you find its gearing tall too?
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #464
toyboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Comparison

I really like the XC but this thing seems more road worthy. I am guessing the 50 pounds extra is the difference. It may be a tad heavier but does not feel the weight. I did both country roads with twisties as well as some interstate and it felt really good all over. Did not get buffeted all over the highway in passing and getting passed etc. I would say that gearing wise they are the same. My XC has a one tooth smaller counter-shaft sprocket and I think it will work well on the Husky too. I found the gearing on the Husky to be a just a tad tall in a few instances. I am going to try that right away.
This bike is definitely smoother than the XC and seems to have better throttle response and can feel the horsepower difference. Pulls really strong. Out of the hole and riding like a normal person the engine has plenty of torque. Again, hard to believe it is a single... This is claimed at 58 and the XC at 53.
Seat height is lower than the XC by quite a bit which I like.
I will need to ride my XC back to back to give a better comparison but If I had to pick one of these sitting side by side on a dealer floor, Husky is a no brainier. IF I remember, The XC was 10k new before BMW blew them out with a 3k discount to get rid of them. Don't get me wrong, like my XC a bunch, especially off road. The kicker now is to see how the TR does off road against the XC.
05 DRZ400E, 07 G650XC, 13 Husky TR650 TERRA

toyboy screwed with this post 10-15-2012 at 11:32 AM
toyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:33 AM   #465
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,863
Alright, just ordered my terra from BMW of Atlanta.
I'm the first one in the city/state to get one :)
They said it would be in probably this weekend or by next Tuesday.
I prooobably won't do a ride report as I've never owned a non-vintage bike, so my opinions would be entirely skewed.

I'm joining ya'lls club! I can creep out side of Old School for the first time ever.
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650

blaine.hale screwed with this post 10-16-2012 at 08:44 AM
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote