Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 08:31 AM   #511
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyboy View Post
Rode the bike full of fuel for 143.6 miles before I got the fuel light. Rode it to 160 exactly and refueled at exactly the same point in that cap and topped off at 3.2 gallons which gives me 50 mpg. I thing I had another .5 to go fuel wise but wan't ready to "test " that just yet.
I have about 440 miles on the bike. I did not ride it like I stole it but I did not ride it trying to get the best fuel economy either. I am thinking that a little less aggressive riding and a few more break in miles and I can get 55 to 60.

Bike seems to run cool and did not notice any real heat coming from the cans but will make it a point to check after a ride. Looks really clean under there and ingle or dual exhaust will be really easy.
I have owned an F800GS, KTM 950 ADV, 640ADV, 02 Tiger, BMW GS everything thru 2010, X Challenges, Hp2E's, Every conceivable dirt bike in an Airhead and still do some of these. Yes, I even owned a KLR once! Riding a Yamaha super Tenere now as a prime mover and I agree there seems to be a lot of hype about the bike but the proof is in the pudding as they say. I have one and I love it. I have let 2 friends throw a leg over it, one riding a KTM 990 ADV, and one a VStrom 650. Both were very very impressed with it.
It is not perfect, going to make some changes like exhaust airbox and mapping which I know will really make this thing romp. The suspension feels really good but the fact that it is not adj seems less than ideal. Since it is a BMW on steroids, something already out there with adjustable suspension has to retro fit. I am convinced that the X Challenge forks and front wheel should interchange. No they are not great forks but with a little work, they are adj and will be in my mind an improvement. Still looking into rear shock options. The wheel I believe to be lighter, something I am going to try to work towards. Want to shave a few pounds off of it.
I think it is open for debate as to how good this bike is but to date I am really impressed with it and think it has the makings of a great platform.
Looking forward flogging it to see how good it really is.
Really interested in your opinion on what this bike will do better than your X-challenge?? better on road?? I have been considering a X-challenge for a couple of years as a midweight adventure bike.. now kind of looking at the Terra...but it just seems too heavy.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:01 AM   #512
toyboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Comparison

Well so far, it is definitely a better road bike. Smoother, better torque/power.
Lower of course. I need to find some time to take it off road but not going to do that since no engine skid plate. As soon as I can source one, I plan on doing that right away. Will be glad to do a ride report. IF I like it as much as I think I will, I will have an X CHallenge for sale... :-)
05 DRZ400E, 07 G650XC, 13 Husky TR650 TERRA
toyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:11 AM   #513
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,999
Toyboy, I find your fuel mileage info very interesting. Thanks for posting it.

The guy over at Cafe Husky claimed the fuel light comes on around 150 miles, which is not that far off to what you found.
But oddly claimed it took much less fuel to top it off than what the bike is supposed to carry and was touting 65 mpgs.

Your numbers however seem to match very close to the capacity specs.

From what the specs called out I figured he really should have been getting around 51-52 mpgs, again not that far off from what you found.

Out of curiosity what kind of MPGs do you see from your X-Challenge?
I typically saw low 50's with mine, but have seen many claims of 65-70.
Ogre_fl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #514
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 614
A quick stop into a dealer with a Terra on the floor~a close look and here are some quick visual thoughts compared to my current F650GS:
PROS:
  • cables/brakes and assembly looks good quality
  • very easy access to battery/oil/air filter/fuse access (big + over the BMW)
  • digital spedo has large numbers (speed) and pretty good multi-info display
CONS:
  • not-so-clean weld points/beads on the frame & exhaust - much cleaner on the Husky website pics (maybe it was a bad day on the line)
  • rims look cheap 'n heavy (may be painted-not sure)...again, they don't look the same as the Husky website photos (or BEHR found on BMW's)
  • cost cutting flimsy seat pan, handlebars and rear plastic rack
Couple other points: side stand is much improved over it's BMW cousin, rear LED tail light looks good and very bright. Before getting too crazy off-road, I would look at protecting the radiator - seems vulnerable.

No doubt many parts on this bike are straight from the BMW parts bin which is a good thing in some regards. Overall seems to a very competitive package and with a little extra fuel, it could turn out to be a great long distance traveler.

Terra owners ~ start getting this bike dirty!

For you metal working fab guys - good aftermarket opportunities await.
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #515
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
Does anybody know if the exterior dimensions of the engine changed or was it fact just the internals? In other words, will it go in place of a F650GS/G650GS/X-series engine?
Old 10-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #516
toyboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre_fl View Post
Toyboy, I find your fuel mileage info very interesting. Thanks for posting it.

The guy over at Cafe Husky claimed the fuel light comes on around 150 miles, which is not that far off to what you found.
But oddly claimed it took much less fuel to top it off than what the bike is supposed to carry and was touting 65 mpgs.

Your numbers however seem to match very close to the capacity specs.

From what the specs called out I figured he really should have been getting around 51-52 mpgs, again not that far off from what you found.

Out of curiosity what kind of MPGs do you see from your X-Challenge?
I typically saw low 50's with mine, but have seen many claims of 65-70.
I do tend to ride spiritedly for the most part and that might explain the 6 or so Mile difference to the fuel light. I probably should take it a tad easier but hard. It is such a hoot to ride, love pulling it from 4500 to 6 k Has a really nice hit in that range.
If I recall I was getting about 60 or so for miles on my first X Challenge. This one I have now is relegated to off road ride exclusively so hard to say.

When I do fill the Husky up, I fill it to the brim and can see it in the red fuel neck cap picture you posted for me.(thx) I filled it like that just to be sure i had it at the same point for accurate measurement of how much it took etc. Once you fill it, you can squeeze more into it but it will pretty quick get to the cap and does not bubble down like a lot of bikes do, then you fill a bit more etc etc. I will make it a point to ride the next fuel tank from full to empty (running out) and stay below the 5 to 5500 mark RPM wise to see what that does for me fuel wise and can update.
05 DRZ400E, 07 G650XC, 13 Husky TR650 TERRA
toyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #517
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBG View Post
I love the new Husky and it's probably going to be my replacement unless I REALLY dig the idea of the 511, or KTM500 that much more, but honestly guys, unless that fairing is HUGE, you won't notice squat. I've been trying to hide behind my DR's fairing since 1990, and you know what, it just aint happenin!
Sorry, but I disagree.

I slapped a 690 "touring" screen on my 950 Super Enduro, night and day difference on the highway.
Instead of catching the full windblast in my chest (which gets old in a hurry) I only felt the wind on my helmet.
I was a lot more relaxed behind a screen.
I'll bet it makes a ton of difference on a long day in the saddle.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #518
SBG
Neville1 to TT boys

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post
Sorry, but I disagree.

I slapped a 690 "touring" screen on my 950 Super Enduro, night and day difference on the highway.
Instead of catching the full windblast in my chest (which gets old in a hurry) I only felt the wind on my helmet.
I was a lot more relaxed behind a screen.
I'll bet it makes a ton of difference on a long day in the saddle.
But you have to be hunched over with your face about 6" from the shield to notice, and that's far from comfortable. Just MY experience, and my screen actually looks taller and the extra plastic surrounding it provides more coverage than the Husky.

SBG screwed with this post 10-18-2012 at 12:55 PM
SBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #519
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,999
I agree with CA Stu.
Any screen that takes the wind load off my chest makes a noticeable difference at speed.
It does not take much of one to help.

Now if you want the screen to take the wind away from your helmet, then yea it takes a honker.
Ogre_fl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:48 PM   #520
rockycraig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 258
tubeless or tubed

just curious if the tires are tubed or tubeless, can't seem to find out
rockycraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:23 PM   #521
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockycraig View Post
just curious if the tires are tubed or tubeless, can't seem to find out
If it's spoked, they're tubed.
I don't know of any factories that do tubeless spoked unless bmw is doing that weird strappy thing that allows tubeless spoked?
Then again, i've never owned a new bike.
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:27 PM   #522
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,404
Terra is tubed, the Strada is Tubeless.

I agree with Stu on the windscreen. Just getting the wind off your chest makes a big difference. If some one needs full coverage, this is the wrong bike to do it with. A big sail on a light bike is bad for a lot of reasons.

There are plenty of generic aftermarket screens for the minimalist and I am certain some one will come up with one that is more integrated.

http://www.motosportz.com/HVA-SS/HVA-SS-Home.htm already has a prototype skid plate for the bike.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:51 PM   #523
goldentaco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Oddly my F650 with screen felt like as much or more wind on my chest than the Terra with no screen. Granted I didn't get to ride the Terra on the freeway, but up to and around 65 for bits. And I had just finished an 80mile run on I5 doing 75 before the test ride so anything below 70 would have felt like childs play.

J
Old 10-18-2012, 04:03 PM   #524
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine.hale View Post
If it's spoked, they're tubed.
I don't know of any factories that do tubeless spoked unless bmw is doing that weird strappy thing that allows tubeless spoked?
Then again, i've never owned a new bike.
Most of the big adventure bikes are coming with spoked tubeless now.. BWM GSA's come stock spoked tubless, the new KTM 1150 is supposedly spoked tubless.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:31 PM   #525
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,404
The big Adventure bikes have 19" front rims. I am not aware of any tubless 21" front tire.