Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2012, 12:59 PM   #556
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockycraig View Post
looking at the specs of the strata version and not much different so I was thinking I like tubeless tires so if Igot a strada instead and slapped a set of heidenaus on them would that work. not sure how much you would lose offroad being cast and not spoked wheels. street riding would probably be better. it would be like having a smaller version of my r1200gs except for the cast rims. I have taken my bike on some pretty bad jeep trails and I think this bike would eat those up.
I wouldn't sacrifice that 21 inch front wheel if I were you...unless you plan on buying a spare set. Kind of defeats the purpose of the Terra.
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:55 PM   #557
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,280
BigDog - I'm pretty sure that you meant "drivel". I'm a champion of the TE630 as a big DS, but I've been trying to take a wait-and-see approach now that the TE630 has been discontinued, trying to keep an open mind amid all of the hype. Given your well documented past experience, I'm waiting for your observations with what patience I can muster - please keep us informed as you get to know your bike. I'm willing to be convinced, but regardless, I hope that you really enjoy your new ride.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #558
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,408
I sat on this bike today at my dealer after picking out a 2012 TXC511. I really dig it. I've been wanting a "easy" upscale KLR for awhile and I think this is going to be great. Planning on getting one in a few months.

I have a couple "hyper" adventure bikes and I want a leisurely bike to tool around back roads.

I climbed on and felt right at home. Seat height is perfect, bars felt cheap as well as the clutch lever and rear brake but these are minor complaints considering the price. Fired it up in the showroom, sounds good, nice n lazy idle. A change from both my 4 cyl adventure firebreathers and this new TXC.

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:05 PM   #559
AltRoute
AltRoute

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
I picked up my new TR650 Terra yesterday (10-19-12) from Halls Husky in Springfield, Illinois.
They just got it in---unloaded if off the truck and I took a test ride and took it home.

I haven't got to spend any time on it yet but will report more when I get to ride it more.

But after the first test ride I just was completely amazed at the smoothness of the motor.
It's got to be the smoothest big single ever made. It's feels and sounds like a small V-twin.
I love how the dual exhausts are tucked in so tight-----I hated that humongous single muffler and exhaust that was on my old TE610.

It will pull smoothly from very low RPM's that would have my 950 or KLR shuddering.

Hard core offroad Husky riders have condemned this bike. But-----they are comparing it to their dedicated offroad machines and this not what the TR650 is at all.
They blabber how it's not as offroad worthy as the TE's--------and it's not. But then I could say their TE610's and 630's are not as offroad worthy as my KTM450EXC.
So-------that talk is useless dribble---some of that useless dribble I've been guilty of myself.

I plan to outfit it with Wolfman soft luggage as I have my other machines and use it as I would my 950----but I'll be able
to pick this up when I fall over.

I see myself doing some long distance traveling on this thing----carrying camping and cooking gear on backroads, gravel roads and dirt roads----------not single track.

It's new---the aftermarket people are scrambling to make stuff for this bike------I already put a bug in Wolfman Luggage's ear about saddlebag brackets and stuff---they need a bike to do this and wanted me to bring mine out to Colorado---well, that probably ain't going to happen. So I may be on my own for awhile outfitting this bike. Looks like I'll be buying some Motorsportz stuff soon when they get going this stuff.

Gotta go----got some riding to do.
Halls took this picture of me and stuck it on their facebook page as I was leaving their shop.
They have one more coming in soon and plan to use it as a demo for their open house on October 27th.
But would not pass up a sale if someone wants it.
I'd go up and hang out that day---but have an ride in Indiana to do that weekend.

OMG - If BigDog is getting one - I"M SOLD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bring on the ride reports
AltRoute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:21 PM   #560
Kainic
Almost there

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
I sat on this bike today at my dealer after picking out a 2012 TXC511. I really dig it. I've been wanting a "easy" upscale KLR for awhile and I think this is going to be great. Planning on getting one in a few months.

I have a couple "hyper" adventure bikes and I want a leisurely bike to tool around back roads.

I climbed on and felt right at home. Seat height is perfect, bars felt cheap as well as the clutch lever and rear brake but these are minor complaints considering the price. Fired it up in the showroom, sounds good, nice n lazy idle. A change from both my 4 cyl adventure firebreathers and this new TXC.
An upscale KLR sounds good but I guess its a wait and see until more reviews come out. Its going to be interesting how (or if) the Terra cuts into the Sertao sales. Anyone have any insight into how they compare?
Kainic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #561
Davidc83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre_fl View Post
Yup if the EFI works well its a non-issue.
I am really hoping the TR 650's have more husky and less BMW in their EFI performance.

My 2009 bmw g650gs has 30,000+ miles and 0 issues with FI; FI never been hooked up to have the maps redone.
Davidc83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #562
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,613
My F800 has seen the shop 4 times in 4 years. It has the optional instrument pod that includes a service reminder light. The BMW machine is the only way to reset it. I know by that, it has been hooked up 3 times, as once it was not reset.

The last time I specifically asked to not be on the machine for fear of losing the miles to empty function on the original bikes. Out of warranty and they still refused my request. Maybe it is all dependant on the dealer and probably has nothing to do with a Terra.

One way to get you into the shop.

itsatdm screwed with this post 10-20-2012 at 06:06 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #563
mattomoto
2 wheels rule

Oddometer: 1,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidc83 View Post
My 2009 bmw g650gs has 30,000+ miles and 0 issues with FI; FI never been hooked up to have the maps redone.
My 2001 Dakar had it's maps checked in like 03-04 but has never been back since! There was a change in a map but that was before I owned it. Never has missed a beat since with some 50K miles.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:47 PM   #564
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidc83 View Post
That just makes you one of the lucky ones.
Look up stalling and starting issues with these rotax BMWs.
Ogre_fl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:50 PM   #565
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 620
Quote:
Almost 20k and never any stalling/starting issues with our rotax - very reliable IMHO.
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:56 PM   #566
Muddler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 722
Quote:
Heard the stories, but I was a lucky one too. 23000kms, 0 FI issues.
We only tend to hear about problems on the web, perhaps this tends to make the issue seem more prevalent then it actually is?
Muddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:07 PM   #567
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeselector View Post
Almost 20k and never any stalling/starting issues with our rotax - very reliable IMHO.
After my 3rd 7 hr trip each way to the dealer to have mine fixed in 3K miles I had enough and sold mine.

There are many things I do like about the motor, its smoothness and gear ratios.
That is why I have hopes for this husky version.
But my past experience and others I have spoke with who experienced the same issues has me very leary.

Ogre_fl screwed with this post 10-20-2012 at 09:16 PM
Old 10-20-2012, 09:20 PM   #568
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 620
Quote:
After my 3rd 7 hr trip each way to the dealer to have mine fixed in 3K miles I had enough and sold mine.
Sorry to hear you had the problems - that can be frustrating and 7hr trip each way....brutal. Maybe you had a bad seed
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:54 PM   #569
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

In trying to fix it from home and since, I spoke with enough folks to know it was not just my bike.
I have had issues with bikes in the past and a known fix could always be found.
The stalling & starting issues with these bikes have fixes that run all over the place from a new battery to remaps to component replacements and a few others in the middle.
I have never seen anything like it.

And yes a 7hr trip each way makes any problem worse.
I have never thought more of setting a bike on fire than with that one.
Which bring in another concern that the Husky network in my area is as bad as BMWs was when I had mine.

I really am hoping this bike proves better than what I have seen.
I do like it.

Ogre_fl screwed with this post 10-20-2012 at 10:01 PM
Old 10-20-2012, 09:58 PM   #570
Muddler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 722
Quote:
In trying to fix it from home and since, I spoke with enough folks to know it was not just my bike.
I have had issues with bikes in the past and a known fix could always be found.
The stalling & starting issues with these bikes have fixes that run all over the place from a new battery to remaps to mechanical component replacements and a few others in the middle.
I have never seen anything like it.

And yes a 7hr trip each way makes any problem worse.
Which bring in another concern that the Husky network in my area is as bad as BMWs was when I had mine.

I really am hoping this bike proves better than what I have seen.
I do like it.
Yeh local dealer support is important. I didnt like my BMW being 2 1/2hrs away and sold my XC in the end. Dont blame you being pissed with a 7hr drive. Lucky for me i do have local husky dealer
Muddler is offline   Reply With Quote