Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2012, 03:31 PM   #616
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
Got the Wolfman Expedition racks made and mounted today.
I took the ones off my 950 and reworked them---took me about 6 hours.

The finished product.
You can see that I used the big bolt holding the rear of the muffler for the rear mount.
And I used that tapped bolt hole on the footpeg bracket for the front mount.

Wow, nice job on the racks!
Old 10-23-2012, 05:22 PM   #617
karinjtimoyht
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
It was on consignment and I tried seriously to buy it. They never returned my email and didn't accept my $1800 offer on the TE when I was in the shop. The bike was a 2000 model that the owner was asking well over book on it.
karinjtimoyht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:38 PM   #618
fastnlight
Repeat Offender

Oddometer: 62
Motorcycle.com just released a review of the bikes. Anyone hear when the Stradas might hit dealers? I could live without tubes.
fastnlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #619
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,072
The Birmingham Al dealer said he got his first Strada last week.
Ogre_fl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #620
jimco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Grand Prix Motorsports in Denver has one. I looked it along with 2 Terra's on Saturday.

Great looking bikes.

Jim
jimco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #621
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post
I was quoting the Husqvarna rep's "90/10 vs 50/50" differentiating the TE line from the new TR line.

People who are expecting a TE with a bigger motor (610 -> 630 -> 650) are barking up the wrong tree.

I've ridden my 610 on the freeway, this bike is way, way more street friendly.
The TE to me always felt like a trail-oriented bike on the freeway, kind of out of it's element. I mean, you can ride it on the freeway but it gets blown around easily, very sensitive to rain grooves and such. Not so with the TR. Planted and solid. And it has more zip.
Downshift to 4th and twist the throttle, you have plenty of passing power.
Also, the stock gearing means easy freeway rpms.
Like I said, it's all in your perspective...my TE450 is a 90/10 bike, and compared to that (and based on my usage and needs) mt TE610 was a 50/50 bike.

While the TR may have an engine with more "zip", power/weight still favors the TE.

Let's not argue semantics here...glad you like your new bike and that it fits your needs and your definition of a 50/50 bike
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #622
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
Drum roll please. BigDogs 2013 Husky Terra 650 Video
I hope you guys enjoy this---I had fun doing it.
All of this riding was in the beautiful Shawnee National forest in Southern Illinois.
The fall colors were almost at peak ------it was a perfect day for riding.

One thing I noticed---in a couple of the video's in which somebody else was videoing me the mechanical
noise of the motor sounds like a washing machine full of marbles. I don't have any idea why it sounded like that---as
I'm here to tell you---------it is a very mechanically quiet motor.

GREAT job on the video!!!!........I'm sold!!!!

Scott
DingWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:04 PM   #623
gunnr
optimsm

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by DingWeed View Post
GREAT job on the video!!!!........I'm sold!!!!

Scott
Great more Bigdog and Dingweed adventures on their TR650's

Sounding better all the time, I want one......
gunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:48 PM   #624
mxbundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRoadToad View Post
The mpg sounds good, but my 2001 DR650 returned 69 mpg on the highway and rarely dropped below 50 mpg around town. Still, I put the IMS 4.9 gallon tank on it because manufacturers are too stoooooopid to give us all what we not only want but need. A good sized fuel tank!

It is like tubed tyres. They suck for the street and yet they still foist them upon us. I know so many prefer spoked wheels but they can be made spoked and still run tube less tyres, but NOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...They are too cheap to do so. If not, what is the answer?

Why does nearly every person that buys an Enduro (Dual Sport sounds, as my late brother would say, "CIrge du SoGhey") wants a much larger fuel tank and yet we still get teensie weensie tanks that people say, "Well...It gets great mpg, so who cares?".

Every one cares. A six gallon tank on a bike that gets 60 mpg would be much better than a 3.5 gallon tank on a bike that gets 60 mpg. Most of these bikes are used primarily on the street. Once my DR had the bigger tank, it was touring time! No need to worry about 100 mile gas stops. If the bike had only had tube less tyres, that would have made it all the better.

This is not a "rant" but rather an observation. Why in the name of the Mother of the Buddha could Husqvarna not have just put a five or six gallon tank on these bikes instead of the dinky one they chose. Cost? Feh!

I have no real clue as to whether or not I shall get a Strada and the Terra is off limits due to bicycle wheels instead of safety wheels but they are both good bikes and will please many people.

Those people just should not have to spend extra to get a good sized tank. And tube less wheels.

By the way, is not running out of gas on a fuel injected motor a bad thing to do to the motor/injectors?

I enjoyed your video very much. Thank you!

The Toad
Well I for one DO NOT want a HUGE tank on my bike! I have a 3.2 on my 530 exc and it gets the job done.
I also have a 6 gallon tank for the long expedition type rides. I hate the way it destroys the handling of the bike, so I very rarely use it.
But that is the key, I have the flexibility to change as my needs see fit.
So to each his own!

Bundy

Check out http://seatconcepts.com/ , your ass will appreciate it!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621311
mxbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #625
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,284
We want options. Factory options for bigger tanks, or smaller tanks.

I have a friend who went to the Husky factory in Italy. He suggested larger range and better suspension - they looked at him like he was from Mars. No one in Europe needs a larger tank, and no one else matters. I want to drop these engineers in the middle of Nevada on one of their own bikes. They'd get the idea.

But, it is true that not everyone rides the western USA or the Australian outback. And race bikes don't need big tanks, but light weight. So, the manufacturers feel justified, and they feed the aftermarket. And we are at the mercy of both.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:37 PM   #626
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,613
If it had a bigger tank, you would have an option. Don't put so much gas in it.

I hope it does routinely gets the mileage some, including me, want.

Husqvarna own specifications work out to about 55mpg. it will depend how and where you ride it. If you have an opportunity to ride some of the remoter places in the west, you will carry gas even if you think you have enough, unless your buddy has a KLR.

My F800gs averages 54mpg over the course of time, but drops to 44-48 on a freeway at 75mph depending on which way the wind is blowing. Actually got 39 once on a very windy day near Trona.

I got a laundry list of wants, but if I had them all, the bike would not sell for $6,999.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:58 AM   #627
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,100
I can't remember where I saw it - here or cafe Husky but someone was comparing this to a Vstrom. I've sometimes thought of getting a V strom like bike for all the freeway miles I have to do but one reason I love dual sport bikes is the ability to have some fun off road AFTER you do all the freeway miles.

Mark your comments on it being the smoothest single have me thinking about this bike again. I once did 3,500 miles in 4 days (2 days + 2days with 4 days in the middle swapping the motor) on my KTM690 enduro. At both ends of that trip I had a blast doing lots of fun dirt riding (+ a little bit in the middle) but the problem is 1.) the 690 aint so smooth at 75 mph and 2.) more importantly - it's hard to enjoy knowing that every freeway mile is quickly using up a significant portion of the life of the engine.

Many here say they never ride freeways; don't like them. While I agree riding dirt is certainly funner if I had to be on the freeway, I personally would rather be on a bike. Even if I didn't, I'd rather be on a bike for the non freeway portion of the trip.

So what do you owners think? Putting the seat/lack of screen asside would it be as comfy or in the ball park of riding a V-strom on the freeway at a steady 80mph?

Time will tell on the miles, but if Husky's reading this I've got an upcoming trip to the US and could easily put 8,000 miles on a loaner bike in 3 weeks and with my reputation as an "anvil breaker" it could be some good publicity (or not!)
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:36 AM   #628
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,100
Thanks for that comparison Mark. Windshields are easy to rectify. To me then on the Terra vs V strom it would come down to the Terra being much funner and capable off road with the unknown of can it do the same number of many miles?

I just noticed in another thread you passed 35,000 miles on the WR250R. I just passed 55,000 KM on the ODOMETER (it was off for somewhere around 20-40K km) of my KLX250/351. Your one of the fewer Americans I know putting serious miles on your bikes so it'll be great to have your input here as time goes on!
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:37 AM   #629
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
i see they ship the bikes with the ABS rings on the hub even though it's not ABS.
I went to the dealer yesterday and looked and sat on it. I was told the ABS ring is the pick up sensor for the speedo.

I went with two beemer buddies who both previously owned F650's and they looked it over carefully and said the electrics appear to be pure BMW, even the battery is printed with the BMW brand name and logo. So I would suspect that any diagnostic work could be done by a BMW shop. (In a pinch or on the road)

I thought it was a nice bike at a terrific price point. However, whoever designed the brake and shifter pedals need to be ball dragged. I bet it won't take the aftermarket long to come out with something better. We rode right over to the beemer shop and looked over the Sertao and that one had a totally different peg mount and pedal arrangement. Far better design. The engines looked to be exactly the same (externally of course) and interestingly enough the frame uses a bolt-on cradle underneath, which makes a skid plate easier to mount.

Otherwise, I thought the Husky was a far superior bike to the beemer at a much better price.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:54 AM   #630
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,621
Fuel range is important, tank size maybe not so much. My XRL gets about 40mpg and has a 4.7 gal tank, my TTR225 gets about 70mpg with a 2.7gal tank. Both have about the same range to empty. My KLR is the exception.

I would have liked a bigger tank on the Terra, but in reality it will have a similar range as my other rides.