Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2012, 04:49 PM   #751
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimco View Post
Did you mean instability at freeway speeds?

Jim
I did.

I edited my post.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:16 PM   #752
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,408
For those of you concerned over the bike having a 5 speed transmission, it's a non-issue.

It's a big single with plenty of power and an 8000rpm red line:

5 speeds is enough, I think.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:42 PM   #753
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
Brought my new baby home this weekend, but only have 15 miles on it so far. The rest of the weekend was spent behind the wheel while admiring the view in the mirror. This weekend we rock and roll to the first oil change, or close to it.

I don't intend to ask this bike to do what it wasn't made for. OK, maybe I will, but not often. I just wanted a bike I could ride a thousand miles or more to where I want to be, ride for a couple of thousand, then ride home. I think this is the bike for that from what I hear. Soon to find out. I'm amazed at how smooooth this machine is.
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:48 PM   #754
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 3,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
I would hope that the Terra kept the knock sensor of the 652 Rotax bikes, that should solve problems with bad gas.

The stupid bean counters decided to skip one on the F800GS, more than one engine destroyed because of it.
Scroll down to Tech & Design(no knock sensor here)... http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2012/...erra-unveiled/

Read about static vs effective compression ratio... http://www.visordown.com/workshop/un...s/15453-2.html

The Eye-Ties reworked the head and piston crown for a better chamber and it uses dual plugs. This will offer better burn with lesser fuels imo.
The plugs are 10mm vs 12mm for better cooling, the inlet tracks were reworked probably for better velocity & turbulence, all good for better combustion. Bet the piston squish band is tight too.

When you read the second link note that more radical valve timing needs higher static compression.

IMO, this engine is not meant to be lugged like a motor with mild cams & lower compression. Think XT250 vs WR250.

Riding over to Long Beach BMW Tuesday to have a look-see at the TR. If I buy it will be used next Winter.
OldPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:52 PM   #755
Scalex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
It is probable that BMW will drop both the G 650 and the Sertao from the line up as their new bike looks to be a step up going by all the early reviews...
If it is of any use, it looks like they ALREADY did that in some countries. Just saw this morning that the italian website does no longer show any of them.

And in all honesty, it make sense to me... I can't imagine a single reason to buy a Sertao if the Terra is just 5 meters away, in the very same room. At least it's like this in my country, where Husqvarna dealers are actually BMW dealers. Don't know in the States or others...
Scalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #756
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaisew View Post
Brought my new baby home this weekend, but only have 15 miles on it so far. The rest of the weekend was spent behind the wheel while admiring the view in the mirror. This weekend we rock and roll to the first oil change, or close to it.

I don't intend to ask this bike to do what it wasn't made for. OK, maybe I will, but not often. I just wanted a bike I could ride a thousand miles or more to where I want to be, ride for a couple of thousand, then ride home. I think this is the bike for that from what I hear. Soon to find out. I'm amazed at how smooooth this machine is.
I was in the shop last Saturday when you bought that. I stopped by riding my 950. Have fun with your new bike!
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:50 PM   #757
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnf3 View Post
I was in the shop last Saturday when you bought that. I stopped by riding my 950. Have fun with your new bike!
Hey John, good to meet you, and the rest of the crew at Cycle Shack too. I do intend to enjoy the Terra!
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #758
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post
I suppose if you just got off a K1600 GTL you could think the Terra is unstable at speed. I sure didn't think so.
I did a test ride on a Terra, but not much above 60. The next day I bought a Strada, about 350 miles on it over the last three days.

At 60mph in stable air, the K16 and the Strada track really well. In unstable air, they both wander.

At 70mph, even in smooth air, the Strada wanders more. At 80mph it wanders a lot more.

I've had the latest generation KLR and previous generation WeeStrom, I'm much more comfortable at 70mph on the Strada than either of those. I was really, really pleasantly surprised on how well the Strada did on the freeway, both in terms of smoothness, and in terms of handling. I could easily ride it all day stock.

However, my plan is to do everything I can to keep it off the freeway. Blasting between corners in the mountains, the bursts at 60-70 don't seem unstable at all to me.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:43 PM   #759
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Stu View Post
For those of you concerned over the bike having a 5 speed transmission, it's a non-issue.
+1 Riding the Strada on both pavement and gravel roads, I have not found myself wishing for another gear.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:54 PM   #760
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalex View Post
If it is of any use, it looks like they ALREADY did that in some countries. Just saw this morning that the italian website does no longer show any of them.

And in all honesty, it make sense to me... I can't imagine a single reason to buy a Sertao if the Terra is just 5 meters away, in the very same room. At least it's like this in my country, where Husqvarna dealers are actually BMW dealers. Don't know in the States or others...
The potential plus side of the Sertao (in the US)

- 3 yr warranty vs 1 yr for the Terra
- ABS
- Dealer network
Old 10-30-2012, 01:08 PM   #761
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Some Strada shots

Old 10-30-2012, 02:23 PM   #762
Jimo368
intrepid traveller

Oddometer: 136
Thanks for the Strada pictures Russel. How do you like the ABS, can you shut it off easily?
Jimo368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:19 PM   #763
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,017
I really like how much room they put between the front fender and the tire.

That's a major complaint with most low fenders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krussell View Post

Ogre_fl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:55 PM   #764
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
i don't buy the notion that a 6spd is the only things that works for "true" dual-sporting and a 5 spd does not work. the gear spread is more important than than the # of gears plus the power delivery.

my DR650 makes alot less power than this bike and has a 5spd & yet it does great in a huge range of environments.
I agree - I never wished for 6th gear on my DR650. It was geared down 1 tooth on the front, and I thought the gearing was perfect for everything I did, from easy off-road to 100kpm / 60mph 2-lane highways. I wouldn't ride interstate highways on thumpers unless there's a gun to my head (or perhaps in a cold rain, wanting to get to a warm meal, a cold beer and a warm Wifey at home).

Wide-ratio tranny with 5 speeds is fine with me. 6 is important for lower powered machines like my WR250R, but the DR had enough torque that I never wished for more gears in the same spread.

jon_l screwed with this post 10-31-2012 at 03:29 AM
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:39 PM   #765
hambone650rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
?

This question is for big dog or anyone who has the experience to answer it. I have a 1100gs and a well sorted dr650, I ride mostly to work, lots of day rides, and 2 times a year take 3day trips around 1200 miles on each. Oh and I prefer riding and exploring the mountains of nc,va,wv. 70/30dirt. I'm wondering if the terra would be the bike for me? I'm in love with this bike, and would value anyone who owns ones opinion . Can it replace both of my bikes? Thanks
hambone650rider is offline   Reply With Quote