Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2012, 08:05 PM   #796
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeselector View Post
From the magazine reports, sounds like the gearing is the same between the Terra and Strada.
They are identical, and the same as the G650GS.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:10 PM   #797
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidc83 View Post
It is a 650cc thumper. It is going to have some buzziness, but this is going to be determined by each individual rider. I have a 2009 bmw g650gs (basically same engine as the Terra) and I dont notice the buzziness, even at 100mph, I know it is there, but I just dont notice it. My 800 cc cruiser has about the same buzziness at 80-90mph as my beemer. Some people are very sensitive to buzziness, some arent.
On difference between the BMW flavor of the engine, and the Husky version, is the piston. It's about 20% lighter in the Husky, which in theory could be less buzzy. I'm amazed at how smooth the engine is.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:27 PM   #798
micah360
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
I thought the Terra was pretty heavy to get off the stand too... the Strada felt easier though (but maybe that's just cause I like it better).

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Visited my local dealer today. Got to throw a leg over one. First thought was, that is a tall bike for a short guy and wow, it is harder to get off the kickstand then my F800gs.

More to follow.
micah360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:18 PM   #799
velofleche
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone650rider View Post
This question is for big dog or anyone who has the experience to answer it. I have a 1100gs and a well sorted dr650, I ride mostly to work, lots of day rides, and 2 times a year take 3day trips around 1200 miles on each. Oh and I prefer riding and exploring the mountains of nc,va,wv. 70/30dirt. I'm wondering if the terra would be the bike for me? I'm in love with this bike, and would value anyone who owns ones opinion . Can it replace both of my bikes? Thanks
I have owned a Terra for 3weeks current mileage 2K. previously owned F800GS. Also 4 different models of the 650 Rotax plant dating back to 1987 when Aprilia first introduced the Tuareg 650 in Europe. This is bar far a superior machine to all of the above!
The F800GS was too much of a bike to maneuver combined with the twin power plant, gearing didn't work for me and the thing just didn't have the dig, bite and grunt of a single. Most of the previous singles didn't offer what the F800 did so far as the ability to eat slab endlessly. This bike slots somewhere smack between the two. Ina best of both world kind of way.
You get a bike that pulls like a twin with all the torque and grunt of a single. Engine braking is phoenomenal, and the efi delivers smooth consistant power where you need it, whenever you want it.
The vibrations are waaaay down, i barely notice anything. The most noise from this bike is from the stock Metzler Sahara's. The bike pulls and cruises effortlessly. No more need to keep it up in the higher reving power band on cam. It will pull from 30mph in 5th gear without lumping or jumping around like a jack hammer. Rides like a sport bike on the street and is rock solid!
Suspension is adequate for general d/s type of riding you have mentioned. I just covered 750 miles inc 200 on dirt forest
fire and county rds. Plenty of creek crossings, gravel hard pack and cinder including several snow passes.
The bike really feels like a single when you ride it. Whereas the F800 really did feel like the twin it is. I have already been places i wouldn't of felt comfortable on the F8.
I am absolutely in love with this bike and have waited many a year for the potential for the Rotax motor to shine. Not saying all kinks are worked out. But i do believe you'd not be disappointed during a test ride. As a first attempt out of the box bike, it's really quite remarkable at this price point. The fit and finish is really excellent and it makes all kinds of wonderous sounds. Mind, i do have a soft spot for these singles!
velofleche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:07 PM   #800
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by velofleche View Post
I have owned a Terra for 3weeks current mileage 2K. previously owned F800GS. Also 4 different models of the 650 Rotax plant dating back to 1987 when Aprilia first introduced the Tuareg 650 in Europe. This is bar far a superior machine to all of the above!
The F800GS was too much of a bike to maneuver combined with the twin power plant, gearing didn't work for me and the thing just didn't have the dig, bite and grunt of a single. Most of the previous singles didn't offer what the F800 did so far as the ability to eat slab endlessly. This bike slots somewhere smack between the two. Ina best of both world kind of way.
You get a bike that pulls like a twin with all the torque and grunt of a single. Engine braking is phoenomenal, and the efi delivers smooth consistant power where you need it, whenever you want it.
The vibrations are waaaay down, i barely notice anything. The most noise from this bike is from the stock Metzler Sahara's. The bike pulls and cruises effortlessly. No more need to keep it up in the higher reving power band on cam. It will pull from 30mph in 5th gear without lumping or jumping around like a jack hammer. Rides like a sport bike on the street and is rock solid!
Suspension is adequate for general d/s type of riding you have mentioned. I just covered 750 miles inc 200 on dirt forest
fire and county rds. Plenty of creek crossings, gravel hard pack and cinder including several snow passes.
The bike really feels like a single when you ride it. Whereas the F800 really did feel like the twin it is. I have already been places i wouldn't of felt comfortable on the F8.
I am absolutely in love with this bike and have waited many a year for the potential for the Rotax motor to shine. Not saying all kinks are worked out. But i do believe you'd not be disappointed during a test ride. As a first attempt out of the box bike, it's really quite remarkable at this price point. The fit and finish is really excellent and it makes all kinds of wonderous sounds. Mind, i do have a soft spot for these singles!
When I saw the bike in a magazine, I thought it may be a good starting point for something to replace our 2up DR650 with. I was hoping for the suspension off the TE630 so was disappointed when I saw one in the flesh.
I do like those motors though,having owned an 07 Dakar. But for us it would require a fork swap and another rear shock to get the travel up to around 250mm. When I was looking in the shop it was hard to see around the air box area under the seat, but I'm sure an Ohlins could be fitted. Does the stock shock have a reservoir ? Does the subframe look sturdy ?
It would be great rot see one with the plastics and seat off.
Hmmm Still potential there !
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:26 AM   #801
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post

OK I have a reference point comparison question here... Anyone ride one of these and the KTM 950 super enduro?

Obviously neither bike is a first choice for gnarly single track but if you had to do some which bike would you rather be on?

And on the opposite end of the spectrum, if you had to do 500 freeway miles which bike would you rather be on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
Ridden them both.

Neither on gnarly single track
Either on 500 freeway miles.

BigDog

The question was more of a hypothetical question, or "if you absolutely had to" question. Of course neither bike is made for gnarly single track but the thoughts/opinions I was trying to get were in situations outside either bikes niche which would be better?

(The SE is kind of a high water mark in my book for freeway riding and semi serious off road. The drawbacks I see on the SE are it's not the best fit for anyone (me) under 6 foot, and horrible fuel mileage by comparison.

Of course the SE is faster but in this category I really care about how fast a bike is comfortable cruising. So for instance although my KTM 690 is faster than my KLX"351", the 351 can sit all day at 80 mph ((nearly full throttle)) with far less vibes and damage to the engine than the 690 can.

Personally the price difference isn't a too big a factor to me. Though I have a limited budget, I'm not planning on giving up riding anytime soon. There is such a huge variance in models in how many miles you can get out of a bike and I see no price difference between a $14,000 bike that can go 80,000 miles vs. a $7,000 bike that needs to retire at 40,000 miles.)
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:56 AM   #802
Gundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 859
Two-up

Anybody coerced a passenger onto the back of one of these? How did it go?

'12 Tenere, '04 Tiger, '09 WRR, '06 DRZ, '06 TW, '01 250 EXC, '09 KLR
Gundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #803
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,035
Terra vs. Strada

I am trying to decide between these and I am really torn.

I am looking at this being used as my daily commuter bike (dirt/sand roads as well as paved BTW), weekend play bike and 2-4 multi day trips a year "touring bike".
Off pavement would be mostly forest roads, some 2 track, and just the ability to get through single track when needed.

If I get the Terra I would not put tires any more aggressive than michelin T63's or TKC's, more likely less so.

If I get the Strada I would put something like TKC's or what ever latest/greatest 19/17 knobbieish ADV tires are.

I really prefer tubeless tires.
I think ABS would be a good idea as I am getting older and my skills are deteriorating.
I am comfortable taking heavier 19/17 equipped bikes off pavement as I have noted, but want something better at it.
I also know that 21/18 bikes work better/easier and I can travel faster on them with less work, particularly in sand.

Given those parameters, what would you go with?
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:00 PM   #804
hambone650rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by velofleche View Post
Wow now that really helped. Great info and comparisons, I will be trying to find time to get a demo ride. (3 kids and a wife ) yep I'm busy. Got a feeling this bike is gonna cost me some sleep waiting on someone to buy my other bikes so I can go get one! Thanks again for your experienced reply.
hambone650rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #805
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundy View Post
Anybody coerced a passenger onto the back of one of these? How did it go?
Just got home, from the dealer. My GF said "No way!".

Her major complaint was the taper of the seat, as it extends rearward. For her to have enough seat width to support her butt, she'd have to have her crotch right up against my back. That's good for me, but, bad for her, as her knees would be severely bent. If she slid back, to get her knees somewhat comfortable, she was partially sitting on the rear rack and grab handles. She's only 5'2" and ~120lbs. She thought she could get by on short jaunts around town, but, that'd be it. Maybe, someone like Sargent, could add a widened passenger area. However, that doesn't fix the problem of the passenger's knees being fairly severely bent.

She said the Tiger 800 was better and that my 1050 is considerably better than either the TR or T800.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:36 PM   #806
Gundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Just got home, from the dealer. My GF said "No way!".

Her major complaint was the taper of the seat, as it extends rearward. For her to have enough seat width to support her butt, she'd have to have her crotch right up against my back. That's good for me, but, bad for her, as her knees would be severely bent. If she slid back, to get her knees somewhat comfortable, she was partially sitting on the rear rack and grab handles. She's only 5'2" and ~120lbs. She thought she could get by on short jaunts around town, but, that'd be it. Maybe, someone like Sargent, could add a widened passenger area. However, that doesn't fix the problem of the passenger's knees being fairly severely bent.

She said the Tiger 800 was better and that my 1050 is considerably better than either the TR or T800.

Thanks. FWIW, my wife found the Sertao more comfortable than the T800 or my old 955. So, I guess that's one advantage to chalk up to the BMW

'12 Tenere, '04 Tiger, '09 WRR, '06 DRZ, '06 TW, '01 250 EXC, '09 KLR
Gundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:59 AM   #807
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,926
Why all this hate for tubed tires on a somewhat OFFROAD machine.
You do realize that it's easier to deflate tubed tires a bit and hit the trails with more traction? Tubeless isn't the most ideal in those situations.

If that's the argument...shouldn't we start a Strada thread and not banter about tubes/tubeless here?
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:43 AM   #808
rh2yadv
Ow!

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil View Post
The bike definitely comes off the side stand like a full dress Harley.
I noted that when I visited the dealer earlier this week. IMHO, it's because the sidestand is about an inch too short, and something I would rectify with a welder if I buy one. The bike leans over pretty far on the side stand, which could also be a problem in soft ground. Curious to hear what owners think about that.

Only other negative that stood out to me was that the O2 sensor is somewhat exposed, and could get knocked about when you drop the bike in the woods.

Aside from that, LOTS of positives. Having previously owned an '08 KLR650, I can see where this is the bike the KLR wanted to be when it grew up. My KLR took me everywhere I wanted to go on and off road, but was underpowered for highway riding. I found I also had to carry a good bit of corner speed on twisty back roads, which kept getting me into trouble (two wheel slides, scraping the pegs, etc), so I got rid of it before I did something stupid. (It sure was fun though...!)

I'm thinking that with 20 extra HP over the KLR, I could keep my corner entry speeds lower, and twist the throttle on the exit, and the bike might actually get up and go. I guess that kinda depends more on the midrange performance.

I'm really impressed with how light the clutch lever feel is on the TR.

My big question:

How is it for 2-up riding? I don't do a lot of that, but one requirement of any "next bike" in my stable is comfort for the missus. She climbed on the back of the bike at the dealer with me and said it was more comfortable than any of my previous bikes, but we didn't get to go for a test ride that day due to the weather.

My bigger question:

TAT-ready? Or, ready to ride large parts of the TAT, maybe having to detour around some of the trickier bits?

Thanks,

Russ
Old 11-02-2012, 08:00 AM   #809
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh2yadv View Post
I noted that when I visited the dealer earlier this week. IMHO, it's because the sidestand is about an inch too short, and something I would rectify with a welder if I buy one. The bike leans over pretty far on the side stand, which could also be a problem in soft ground. Curious to hear what owners think about that.

I'm not an owner, but I noticed this too and thought it was a potential problem for trail rider types, like me.

Only other negative that stood out to me was that the O2 sensor is somewhat exposed, and could get knocked about when you drop the bike in the woods.

I also noticed this too.

Aside from that, LOTS of positives. Having previously owned an '08 KLR650, I can see where this is the bike the KLR wanted to be when it grew up. My KLR took me everywhere I wanted to go on and off road, but was underpowered for highway riding. I found I also had to carry a good bit of corner speed on twisty back roads, which kept getting me into trouble (two wheel slides, scraping the pegs, etc), so I got rid of it before I did something stupid. (It sure was fun though...!)

I'm thinking that with 20 extra HP over the KLR, I could keep my corner entry speeds lower, and twist the throttle on the exit, and the bike might actually get up and go. I guess that kinda depends more on the midrange performance.

How about 30 HP???

I'm really impressed with how light the clutch lever feel is on the TR.

My big question:

How is it for 2-up riding? I don't do a lot of that, but one requirement of any "next bike" in my stable is comfort for the missus. She climbed on the back of the bike at the dealer with me and said it was more comfortable than any of my previous bikes, but we didn't get to go for a test ride that day due to the weather.

My bigger question:

TAT-ready? Or, ready to ride large parts of the TAT, maybe having to detour around some of the trickier bits?

With the budget suspension and lots of extra pork, I'd say TAT ready provided you detour the difficult parts.

Thanks,

Russ
I'd be all over this bike if it were about 50 lbs lighter. As it stands right now, I'm holding out, but boy it sure is a nice bike at a nice price.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #810
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,258
Regarding the side stand being too short: soft ground can be a problem, but so too can sloped ground. A tall stand that keeps the bike almost level is great on level asphalt. On a hill, however, the bike is too tall, and I've had mine blow over in a strong wind when on a hill on the side stand. It needs a big foot so as not to sink into soft ground. It needs enough "angle" to park with the side stand down on the uphill side of a slope. Hence, the compromise.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote