Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 01:49 PM   #1126
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
I would be interested. I have a Hyde plate on the Strom and it's great for the use I put the Strom to.
The Hyde by itself would not be suitable for the Terra.

They were designed to only be used over top of the alloy BMW plate on the XCH, not by themselves as they will not protect the oil line and drain plugs.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #1127
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
The Hyde by itself would not be suitable for the Terra.

They were designed to only be used over top of the alloy BMW plate on the XCH, not by themselves as they will not protect the oil line and drain plugs.
?
Why not?
I am looking for protection mainly from stones and rocks thrown up from the front wheel and the Hyde plate I have on my Strom does that perfectly well. The beauty of a plastic plate is that it can be molded much better than alloy or steel.
I don't consider the Terra to be an out and out bush bashing, rock hopping, tree trunk scaling bike. That's what Trials bikes are for.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:24 PM   #1128
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,556
Where is the adventure spirit?

Old 12-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #1129
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
I test drove a Terra today...drove a couple hundred miles to a dealer with the intent of buying but didn't. To me, the bike is just too heavy. Anywhere but the smoothest fireroads or trails and you are asking for a broken leg - even with off-road tires. Where I ride I have to expect to occasionally come across deep ruts and rocks and this bike won't cut it. In all fairness, the engine seemed great, the brakes worked well, but slow-speed maneuvering, which you will need to do when off of pavement was difficult due to the weight and perhaps a street-biased geometry.

And what is with that automatic-up kickstand and the below-frame brake pedal? How could any company do such things?

Add to that the need to take the bike in for code reading (my WR250R provides the codes so you don't need a reader) and I couldn't justify the bike, for what I do.

This may fill a niche for adventure riding, but will not replace the outdated XR or DR japanese bikes for a lot of people, IMO.

Tom
Old 12-11-2012, 06:10 PM   #1130
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
?
Why not?
I am looking for protection mainly from stones and rocks thrown up from the front wheel and the Hyde plate I have on my Strom does that perfectly well. The beauty of a plastic plate is that it can be molded much better than alloy or steel.
I don't consider the Terra to be an out and out bush bashing, rock hopping, tree trunk scaling bike. That's what Trials bikes are for.
Because the standard Hyde bends on impacts and the oil line underneath the motor needs solid protection, not just a light stone deflector in my experience. You can squash or puncture that oil line without realising it until the motor makes a horrible noise. What Itsadm has done with his may be sufficient.

xronly
Old 12-11-2012, 09:08 PM   #1131
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,528
They can be a bit suseptible.

Slow Bike Small Penis copped a rock in the case of his 650 BMW at Cape York - he DNF'ed.

He got the whole stop. wait. unpack. check oil. fill. pack. ride. stop. refilll.

We need protection.

Looks like I will have to wait another week before I'm terrafied.

davorallyfan screwed with this post 12-11-2012 at 09:14 PM
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:50 PM   #1132
treborbig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
terra arrival

Not many dealers over here ,from what i can gather pfg not interested in helping the ones they had so they chucked it in .Ther dealer we do have in perth is great bloke ,peter, and we go there for tyre deals ,,Tyres For Bikes if anyone is in perth soon .Any way he closes for xmas on 21st day the demo arrives,so better get there quick .Did you know that W.A means.... wait a while

treborbig screwed with this post 12-12-2012 at 12:38 AM
treborbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:03 AM   #1133
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
good comparison of hyde vrs axp.

that guy stephan gets it and knows how to build well coverage plates.
those look like a winner.
I received an e mail back from Stephan today and he said that all he needs to do is make an adapter for the front frame mount and Terra owners will be able to use his range of XChallenge bash plates as mentioned above with a link to his web site.

Also said, " I will offer all parts I make for the G650X for the new Husqvarna 650 models too soon!"

Regards Stephan.

xronly

Cruz screwed with this post 12-12-2012 at 03:43 AM
Old 12-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #1134
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,626
Stop robbing parts off the KLR!
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #1135
klxmack
king of the box

Oddometer: 493
iyt aint no XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawagumby View Post
I test drove a Terra today...drove a couple hundred miles to a dealer with the intent of buying but didn't. To me, the bike is just too heavy. Anywhere but the smoothest fireroads or trails and you are asking for a broken leg - even with off-road tires. Where I ride I have to expect to occasionally come across deep ruts and rocks and this bike won't cut it. In all fairness, the engine seemed great, the brakes worked well, but slow-speed maneuvering, which you will need to do when off of pavement was difficult due to the weight and perhaps a street-biased geometry.

And what is with that automatic-up kickstand and the below-frame brake pedal? How could any company do such things?

Add to that the need to take the bike in for code reading (my WR250R provides the codes so you don't need a reader) and I couldn't justify the bike, for what I do.

This may fill a niche for adventure riding, but will not replace the outdated XR or DR japanese bikes for a lot of people, IMO.

Tom
I have owned a bunch of dual sports over the years, KLX650c, KLR650 and a XR650L totally pimped. This husky has the same dry weight as a new gen KRL650, 20 more HP and USD forks.
The KLR is road biased, the XR was off road biased. The KLX was good at both. I think this will be an awesome bike that doesn't chuff oil like the old stuff.

Cheers
3. My bike and its owner are faster than yours.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=klxmack
klxmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #1136
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
You're probably right. For some reason I keep thinking about the bike...and that awesome power delivery. Dang -
Old 12-13-2012, 01:48 AM   #1137
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by klxmack View Post
I have owned a bunch of dual sports over the years, KLX650c, KLR650 and a XR650L totally pimped. This husky has the same dry weight as a new gen KRL650, 20 more HP and USD forks.
The KLR is road biased, the XR was off road biased. The KLX was good at both. I think this will be an awesome bike that doesn't chuff oil like the old stuff.

Cheers
I wish for a 2013 KLX ...alas.
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:18 AM   #1138
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,345
I think the $1700 skid plate looks great.

If I ever get a Terra, I might wait till the price drops to around $ 1500 though.....

Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:26 AM   #1139
4-s-hsky
Just a simple farmer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
so you bought that motosportz plate and then cut up your husky one;
the front top part and bolted that on too eh?

man that is a $400 cobbled together skid plate ya now own.
wouldn't it have been cheaper to visit an alum. welder during the day and add to the motosportz?
I take it you're in impatient man.
Dude. You poked the bear. Don't poke the bear.
4-s-hsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:45 AM   #1140
Dualsport
Maker of Sweet Cheek

Oddometer: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-s-hsky View Post
Dude. You poked the bear. Don't poke the bear.

Dualsport is offline   Reply With Quote