Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 08:31 PM   #1171
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
But if the new TR's have the same transmission as the F650GS/Dakar, that is not the case. The F650's have a spread of 3.13; the TE610/630 is 3.40, with a better spread between for DS application. It is not just about top gear, or even 1st gear. This has been chewed to death already on other threads.

The combination, weight, chassis geometry, suspension, ground clearance, power, transmission, alternator, all contribute to the overall package. The TR's are perhaps 65/35 street/dirt. The TE's are 50/50. The 690e is more like 40/60. Take your pick for what you need or desire. I'm just sad that the TE's are gone, but I'll shut-up now.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:57 PM   #1172
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,784
Yeah Gryphon, I am basing the gears on the XChallenge, so they may be different.

I can understand you regretting the loss of the 630 etc, a different bike to the Terra. It is a pity they couldn't keep developing it further.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:26 PM   #1173
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
If "dead-lifting the bike" is the chosen standard of comparison.....ride an Observed Trials bike!

I did not lay it over and try picking up the Terra, but I bet it's not as difficult as paper specs would imply. My F800GS, equipped to my personal specs) weighs 510 lbs (the heaviest on the scale of all DS bikes I've owned), yet is not difficult to pick up at all. Quite surprisingly so.

To keep with your line of comparison, my KLR was about 440 lbs and...well...just plain sucked to pick up. To put it kindly. Very top-heavy and stubborn.

HF
I dead lifted the bike at the dealer!! No kidding. Had the salesman there to make sure I wouldn't hurt it, LOL. HF, when you're 65 with a blown-out back, you will understand the need for a lighter bike...I, like a few of us, need to find a mount that can fit best for my individual needs - and weight is a big factor for some of us.
The reason I got rid of my KLR was the weight...no need for me to go through that expensive process again, no matter how fun the ride may be. I could lift the Terra off the ground, but it was a strain - fifty pounds less and I would have bought it.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:48 PM   #1174
Dalmatino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast1 View Post
21 front / 18 back for dirt

17 / 17 for pavement and graded dirt roads

~ 300 lbs dry weight with factory dual exhaust replaced..
So the wheels in top pic are 17"s. So 120 and 150 I assume and what tires are those and how do you like them?
I just realy like that wheel set-up.
Thanks again.
Dalmatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:55 PM   #1175
gunnr
optimsm

Oddometer: 287
Can we just move on! It is was it is. The bike is a new entry into the market. It is not a TE! It has as much potential as anyone is willing to to put into it. I own a 950 and a 610. I like them both. I have test rode a Terra and like it for the riding I do. I want to hear from the owners..........
gunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:51 PM   #1176
Goon310
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
I like the bike from what I've read so far.
Would be great for longer trips when hitting the slab is required.

I know it's already been said, but it's a shame it isn't more off road capable.
Everything else about the bike seems great.
But give it the " off road ability " of an XR650R - and the after market and this bike would sell like crazy.
I think by the end of 2013 some great stuff will be out for this bike and I know of one company developing a skid plate and other accessories for the bike.

This bike does appeal to me more than a KLR, mainly because of looks.
But less weight more power is great too.

I'd really like to see a video of someone putting the bike through it's paces off road, all I've seen so far is gravel roads and mild riding.

60% street, 40% dirt?
Goon310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:39 AM   #1177
FabOneUp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnr View Post
Can we just move on! It is was it is. The bike is a new entry into the market. It is not a TE! It has as much potential as anyone is willing to to put into it. I own a 950 and a 610. I like them both. I have test rode a Terra and like it for the riding I do. I want to hear from the owners..........
Movin on Gunnr! I am a new owner and a pleased one indeed. I have had two Terra's in fact. The first Terra was from the first batch to hit the states and exhibited a lot of the same lean conditions on the low side of the RPM's as you have read about here. A Wisconsin tourist totaled it.

The second Terra, received one week ago from the second batch, does not at all have the same condition. It was sent from the motorcycle gods straight to me! I am a little guy and the bike is NOT too heavy, it does NOT need a sixth gear, and as stated above "it is NOT a TE". I wanted a bike like a TE, so I bought a TE250. I wanted a bike like the TR650, so I bought a TR650. Both bikes do exactly what the manufacturer said they would do...and very well.

This new, or "second batch", TR is smooth, powerful, and responsive. I am very familiar with the Rotax 650 and this Husky 650 is a whole new breed. With the addition of Dunlap D908's, the TR is brought to a whole new level. My heart pounds when I think about getting it back on the dirt roads. Monster rooster tails and a smooth drift are only a slight twist of the throttle away. I would have had to put thousands of $ into my old '07 GS650 to get this kind of performance out of it. I am EXTREMELY happy with my purchase!
FabOneUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:45 AM   #1178
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawagumby View Post
I dead lifted the bike at the dealer!! No kidding. Had the salesman there to make sure I wouldn't hurt it, LOL. HF, when you're 65 with a blown-out back, you will understand the need for a lighter bike...I, like a few of us, need to find a mount that can fit best for my individual needs - and weight is a big factor for some of us.
The reason I got rid of my KLR was the weight...no need for me to go through that expensive process again, no matter how fun the ride may be. I could lift the Terra off the ground, but it was a strain - fifty pounds less and I would have bought it.
Uh-oh....I'm already 50-something. My hour glass seems glued to the table. Reckon I better hurry along, then.

HF.

P.s. I really detest picking up any bike. Just sayin
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com

HighFive screwed with this post 12-15-2012 at 03:50 AM
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:11 AM   #1179
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawagumby View Post
I identify completely. My KTM 950 was a real struggle for me to pick up. Very often I needed to get help. Particularly in the mud or if the bars were down slope. Probably the reason is because it was not only very heavy, but very tall and unlike a BMW, laid flat on her side.

Even my KTM 690 is a little bit of a challenge because it also lays flat and is tall. I can do it, though with little drama or huffing and puffing.

I would guess the 650 Terra would be easier to pick up because it is shorter.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:22 AM   #1180
klxmack
king of the box

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Even if the Terra 5 speed covers a wider ratio than the 6 speed 610/630?

The bigger singles with so much torque do not nead closely spaced gears like other bikes, which is the big problem with the 690.

My 650 5 speed would easily keep pace low down with the 610 and outrun it on the highway. If a motor can handle 5 speeds easily, why put in a sixth gear?

For any kind of riding I wanted to do, I could drop or add a tooth on the front in a couple of minutes using the same chain with adjustment either way.

Klxmac, did you mead Booster Plug?

How many times do people need to post the same photos over and over and over and over etc in a thread?
Yes, My bad. Booster Plug.

Thanks
3. My bike and its owner are faster than yours.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=klxmack
klxmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:26 AM   #1181
klxmack
king of the box

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnr View Post

+1

3. My bike and its owner are faster than yours.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=klxmack
klxmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:40 AM   #1182
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
But if the new TR's have the same transmission as the F650GS/Dakar....
They are identical to the current Sertao, not sure about the earlier generation.

I'm sure a Sertao comparison exists somewhere but I didn't find one. I'd be interested in hearing from any Sertao owners that have ridden the Terra think. From the spec sheet comparo:

Terra:
+ $6999 vs the Sertao at $8650
+ 408 lbs vs the BMW at 425
+ 58 vs 50 horsepower

Sertao
+ has 3 yr / 36k factory vs 1 yr on the Husky
+ Factory skid plate / hand guards
+ ABS
+ 8.3" travel vs 7.5" for the Terra
+ larger dealer network (I'd never thought I'd say that about BMW!)
+ MPG 74 vs 55 (per the datasheet) 3.7 vs 3.57 Gal tank, theoretical range 274 vs 193
Old 12-15-2012, 06:28 AM   #1183
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalmatino View Post
So the wheels in top pic are 17"s. So 120 and 150 I assume and what tires are those and how do you like them?
I just realy like that wheel set-up.
Thanks again.
120/150 17's Avon Distanzia in the supermoto compound.. heat up fast and stick like glue. Good for 65 mph on graded dirt roads without issue. Brake and accelerate almost as good as a knob tire on hard pack dirt. Avoid mud and sand unless you want to damage yourself and bike. I just do not like wearing out expensive dirt tires on easy graded dirt roads and pavement. My dirt tires here in MN are geared towards mud, sand and woods travel.

As a KLR beater.. the Terra has accomplished that goal.
11 Husqvarna TE630- sold
08 Husqvarna TE510- sold
Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:51 AM   #1184
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,778
I found this to be quirky when I was researching the Sertao. (From the BMW website)

Rated output 35 kW (48 hp) at 6,500 rpm (output reduction to 25 kW (34 hp) at 6,500 rpm possible)

Maybe there is a logical explanation for this, but without coffee, I'm missing it.

I liked the Sertao, but at $1600 more, I couldn't find enough advantages to justify the price. The Husky really felt a lot more comfortable, powerful, and even more nimble despite the small decrease in suspension travel.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:49 AM   #1185
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
I'm liking the TR so far from what I'm reading. I will be testing one in the near future. Just as a point of reference, I'm also looking at a KTM 950 Adv.

I'm a dirt rider. I want a "bigger" bike for some adventure "touring" type riding, but don't know how much heavy dirt and trails I'll do with with the bigger bike. I will keep my smaller dirt ride for the hard stuff.

My question is this: it looks like the TR has 46mm forks. Do we know yet if they are modifiable, or is a fork swap going to be the only way to gain full adjustability? On a non-abs equipped bike, the swap is certainly easier, and there are lots of good dirt machines out there with 46mm forks. A big transformation in the abilities of this bike may not be too far away!
zgfiredude is offline   Reply With Quote