Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2012, 08:32 AM   #1186
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
I found this to be quirky when I was researching the Sertao. (From the BMW website)

Rated output 35 kW (48 hp) at 6,500 rpm (output reduction to 25 kW (34 hp) at 6,500 rpm possible)

Maybe there is a logical explanation for this, but without coffee, I'm missing it.

I liked the Sertao, but at $1600 more, I couldn't find enough advantages to justify the price. The Husky really felt a lot more comfortable, powerful, and even more nimble despite the small decrease in suspension travel.

In some countries you have a graduated license. You are limited in the amount of horsepower you can legally ride until you reach a certain level of riding experience and/or age.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:48 AM   #1187
klxmack
king of the box

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgfiredude View Post
I'm liking the TR so far from what I'm reading. I will be testing one in the near future. Just as a point of reference, I'm also looking at a KTM 950 Adv.

I'm a dirt rider. I want a "bigger" bike for some adventure "touring" type riding, but don't know how much heavy dirt and trails I'll do with with the bigger bike. I will keep my smaller dirt ride for the hard stuff.

My question is this: it looks like the TR has 46mm forks. Do we know yet if they are modifiable, or is a fork swap going to be the only way to gain full adjustability? On a non-abs equipped bike, the swap is certainly easier, and there are lots of good dirt machines out there with 46mm forks. A big transformation in the abilities of this bike may not be too far away!
I think your on right track. Throw on a set of fully adjustable forks, a nice ohlins shock and a light weight single exhaust will give the bike more off road capability. I like the stock set up for touring and occasional dirt road.
People seem to think that steel swings arms and frame make the bike real heavy , in all reality they would have only saved about 15 pounds. The real culprit is the motor. The cylinder head has the same profile a 1000 ninja. The motor is real heavy and over engineered. It was built with longevity in mind not lightness.
I have know issue riding this piggy down a single track trail.
Grow some pipes people.:)

Cheers
3. My bike and its owner are faster than yours.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=klxmack
klxmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:18 AM   #1188
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by klxmack View Post
I have know issue riding this piggy down a single track trail.
Grow some pipes people.:)

Cheers
Hah, I'd like to see you ride a Terra on the kind of single track I frequent...there'd be nothing left of you or the bike.

Having said that, sigh, I am off to pick up my new Terra...I got a good deal from a different dealer and for the money it will work. I was looking at upgrading a low mileage DR650, but figuring 3500 for a low mileage unit, 400 for shock work, 400 for a new front end, a different carb, pipe, tax, etc...I was looking at over $5000 all said and done (just for parts+bike). So for another 3K I get a new bike. I didn't want to keep my WR250R, but will now for the kind of dual sport rides the Terra won't handle.

So c'mon guys, let's start the mods and make this thing rock!

kawagumby screwed with this post 12-15-2012 at 12:01 PM
kawagumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:24 PM   #1189
gunnr
optimsm

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic View Post
Movin on Gunnr! I am a new owner and a pleased one indeed. I have had two Terra's in fact. The first Terra was from the first batch to hit the states and exhibited a lot of the same lean conditions on the low side of the RPM's as you have read about here. A Wisconsin tourist totaled it.

The second Terra, received one week ago from the second batch, does not at all have the same condition. It was sent from the motorcycle gods straight to me! I am a little guy and the bike is NOT too heavy, it does NOT need a sixth gear, and as stated above "it is NOT a TE". I wanted a bike like a TE, so I bought a TE250. I wanted a bike like the TR650, so I bought a TR650. Both bikes do exactly what the manufacturer said they would do...and very well.

This new, or "second batch", TR is smooth, powerful, and responsive. I am very familiar with the Rotax 650 and this Husky 650 is a whole new breed. With the addition of Dunlap D908's, the TR is brought to a whole new level. My heart pounds when I think about getting it back on the dirt roads. Monster rooster tails and a smooth drift are only a slight twist of the throttle away. I would have had to put thousands of $ into my old '07 GS650 to get this kind of performance out of it. I am EXTREMELY happy with my purchase!
Glad to hear you are happy with your Terra. Hopefully all the "second batch" bikes won't have the lean issue. The demo I rode had a slight stumble. At the time that was the only thing that I didn't like about the bike. The booster plug solves that problem. I think the bike offers a great start to build into an adventure touring bike. I will probably pull the trigger sometime early in the new year....
gunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:43 PM   #1190
gunnr
optimsm

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgfiredude View Post
I'm liking the TR so far from what I'm reading. I will be testing one in the near future. Just as a point of reference, I'm also looking at a KTM 950 Adv.

I'm a dirt rider. I want a "bigger" bike for some adventure "touring" type riding, but don't know how much heavy dirt and trails I'll do with with the bigger bike. I will keep my smaller dirt ride for the hard stuff.
I have a 950 that I am thinking of downsizing to a Terra. I like the 950 on the road but find it too much in the gravel and slower riding. I use it primarily for adventure touring. So I am thinking the weight and power of the Husky will be fine on the road and gravel for extended trips.
gunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:30 PM   #1191
Chuckracer
More Ride, Less Google

Oddometer: 6,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawagumby View Post
Hah, I'd like to see you ride a Terra on the kind of single track I frequent...there'd be nothing left of you or the bike.

"
The average pirate doesn't come off any where near as precious as the self absorbed element in the OC these days." ~ Douf
Chuckracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:20 PM   #1192
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
In some countries you have a graduated license. You are limited in the amount of horsepower you can legally ride until you reach a certain level of riding experience and/or age.
Here in Australia the Terra will be available with the 58hp engine AND a 48hp engine that is suitable for restricted learner licences.
Whilst it's usually technically possible to buy the LAMs (Learner Approved Motorcycle) version of a bike then remove the restrictions and have full power available at some later stage it causes all sorts of problems with registration and insurance.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #1193
klxmack
king of the box

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawagumby View Post

Was that an official invite? Careful what you ask for, I will drink all your booze and never leave.

Enjoy the new bike. I have to wait till spring before i get mine. Maybe I could fly down and borrow yours. :)

Cheers
3. My bike and its owner are faster than yours.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=klxmack

klxmack screwed with this post 12-15-2012 at 02:29 PM
klxmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #1194
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harder1 View Post
I'm convinced it's faster than my Strom was.
I've drag raced a couple 650gs singles on my weestrom. I was quicker but only by a little bit.
So with the weight savings, and re-tuned motor, I'd speculate you might be right.

That said, if my KLR had had as much pull as my Weestrom does, I would have never sold it.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:03 PM   #1195
Fitty
Shopping cart rider

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
I've drag raced a couple 650gs singles on my weestrom. I was quicker but only by a little bit.
So with the weight savings, and re-tuned motor, I'd speculate you might be right.

That said, if my KLR had had as much pull as my Weestrom does, I would have never sold it.
My Wee was fast, for what it was. According to the mags a Wee will do a 12.5 quarter mile. That's pretty damn quick. I don't have any facts (never stopped me), but I don't see a 650 single dualsport doing anywhere near that.
Fitty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #1196
Gryphon12
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 955
I got to sit on the TR650 Terra today at the Seattle Motorcycle Show. It felt good, slimmer and lighter than my buddy's F650GS Dakar. So, better than a KLR, which I also had a chance to see again. The KLR has a much larger gas tank, and a more comfortable saddle, but otherwise, it is no contest.

Somehow I missed that the TR650's have Canbus electrical systems. I was asking about different lights or a Lynx fairing, which lead the discussion of "dealer only" installations due to the Canbus computer handling of all electrical loads. This from the BMW regional rep. Hmm. That puts the dealer into a lot of my concerns.

So, how has the Canbus held up so far for those of you who are riding the bike? Any problems or concerns?

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:43 PM   #1197
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post

So, how has the Canbus held up so far for those of you who are riding the bike? Any problems or concerns?
No Canbus on the 650
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #1198
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitty View Post
My Wee was fast, for what it was. According to the mags a Wee will do a 12.5 quarter mile. That's pretty damn quick. I don't have any facts (never stopped me), but I don't see a 650 single dualsport doing anywhere near that.
Seems like the old CS650 had a 13 second 1/4mile and the (now) g650gs is around 13.7

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:37 PM   #1199
Gryphon12
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeselector View Post
No Canbus on the 650
Well, a BMW regional rep not knowing details about a new product. Who would have thought!

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:30 AM   #1200
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
Well, a BMW regional rep not knowing details about a new product. Who would have thought!
Where is the "knock me down with a feather" emoticon when you need it?
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote