Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2012, 02:41 PM   #1261
gomerkfx700
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
I like the pipes as well just would have to be louder not harley loud but a sexy grow would b nice
gomerkfx700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #1262
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,462
Done the test ride, have the pictures story and thoughts to follow.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:32 PM   #1263
Trail Boss
World's fastest slowrider

Oddometer: 686
Motorcycle Consumer News' reviews the TR650

Motorcycle Consumer News' January 2013 issue contains their review of the TR650. Here are the highlights from the article.

"Husqvarna's new 2013 TR650 Terra is designed to compete in the mid-priced market for dual-purpose bikes, long dominated by Kawasaki's KLR650. Note that Husky is careful not to call it a "dual sport" as it reserves that term for its highly regarded TE models. The Terra, instead of being a hard-core dirtbike 90% of the time, with just enough equipment to make it legal for the road, is meant to be a 50/50 bike, a capable street ride, perfect for the weekly commute, that's happy to go casual off-road exploring on weekends.

Motor
You wouldn't expect the new Husky, which has been admittedly built to a price, to have better equipment than the BMW (Sertao), but it does. Its engine is a generation ahead...

...and rather than a 10-hp edge, our dyno testing found just 5.74 additional hp at the back tire (47.89 hp for the Terra to 42.15 hp for the Sertao), as well as 2.7 lb.-ft more torque: 38.29 lb.-ft vs 35.59. Naturally, the Husky's greater power and rpm range make it much quicker than its BMW brother; reaching 60 mph in 4.57 sec. to the Sertao's 5.58 and clipping the quarter-mile in 13.01 sec @ 99.02 mph to the Sertao's 14.10 sec @ 89.04 mph.

Transmission and Clutch
...in the dirt the Husky's gearing drew some complaints, as first gear is very short and second is tall, so shifting drops too much rpm for a strong drive unless first is held until what seems like too-high rpm...adding two or three more teeth to the rear sprocket should improve things.

Suspension
Despite its shorter travel, the Husky's fork is the superior design, a proper cartridge unit with big 46mm stanchions...We had some complaints about the Sertao's lack of front end feel, but not the Terra, which has very precise road manners and also works well in rough off-road conditions. However, like the Sertao, the Terra's high-speed stability leaves something to be desired, as turbulence at speeds of 80 mph or more can reveal a disconcerting weaving sensation that gets your attention.

Riding Impressions & Ergonomics
Riding on a 59.1" wheelbase, the Terra is big enough that six-footers don't feel cramped, and it has surprisingly comfortable accommodations: a broad, well-shaped seat 34.4" off the ground, handlebars that are high and wide enough for great control leverage and pegs placed where they provide excellent balance in a standing position...Our only complaints on the Terra are that the seat's much higher rear portion can prevent a rider from shifting weight back during aggressive dirt riding and the width of its big rear rack can catch unsuspecting ankles casually thrown over the seat.

Value & Bottom Line
Although the KLR650 has unbeatable range as well as superior wind protection and seat comfort, it's not hard to justify the Terra's $500 higher price. It's lighter (405 lbs vs 425 lbs), provides a lot more power (47.89 hp vs 36.1), and it has better brakes, better suspension and better performance.

"Nice bike. Have you taken her to Mexico? All bikes want their owners to take them there" - tricepilot

Texas Adventure
Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:33 AM   #1264
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

I guess first we do the disclaimer. These are my thoughts after an hour or so on a brand new demo bike that only have 40km (25 miles) on the odo when I picked it up. I am not a bike reviewer or a pro rider and I haven't ridden a serious off road bike for about 15 years (a serious off road bike is an Enduro or MX or Trials bike imo).

All Australian Terras will be delivered to the delearships as LAMs approved which means that they need to be de restricted prior to delivery to fully licenced riders. For various reasons (read the bureaucracy wheels at VicRoads turning slowly) the bike I rode was in it's LAMs state and therefore not only new but also about 12 hp down on the version I and most here would actually purchase. To be honest for a new bike I didn't notice any lack of power.

The Terra is it's natural state.

The first thing I noticed was that the bike fits me and feels great (mostly) ergonomics wise. FWIW I'm 175cm (5'9") and around 76 kg (168 lbs). The mostly was the standing position. The bars are simply too low even for me so risers or higher profile bars are likely to be a hot seller for Terras. One thing I would want to do first though is ride the bike without the rubber foot peg inserts. Removing them will lower you feet nearly 1" which may affect whether risers are needed. The foot peg rubbers also cause another issue. The rear brake pedal is too low, way to low to easily use standing. I suspect removing the rubbers will help greatly here as well.

Some random photographic observations.

Right side of the engine. Not sure who wll these wires will fare with long term exposure to the elements.

Yes the head really is red but I'm glad valve checks are only every 20,000km (12,000 miles)

Rather exposed rear brake hardware I bet the boys and girls at Touratech are working on a cover as wee speak. Also note the threaded hole in the footpeg hanger I would say that is for luggage but it could be very useful to DIY people.

Area of concern 1. Under the engine. I knew that there was no guard but sheesh that oil line is asking for damage from sticks being flicked up from the wheel (very common here). The good news is that B+B are taking this very bike in early January to design a decent bash plate.

What the ground sees as you pass over

Area of concern 2. There is literally mm between the rear of the front guard and the radiator core. I cannot even get my pinky finger between the two. I suspect that it is going to be difficult to build a decent radiator guard and this radiator imo is very exposed. The good news is that B+B will be looking at this at the same time as the bash plate.

Exhaust routing

and the good news is that if anybody wants to change the cans it should just be a slip on exercise

Displaying the family history

Many parts are branded BMW including the battery

a lot of the electrical components

and there is even a BMW roundel cast into the front hub.

I guess from an after market or spares point of view this is a good thing.

Speedo drive off the rear wheel by the looks of things.

There is a nice little space to the right of the key that would be perfect for a power outlet

Once you get the seat off it looks like there is still quite a few plastic pieces to remove before you expose the air filter. When you fuel the bike there is a very small catch area under the filler cap and fuel runs via a small diameter tube down the right side of the air filter. Don't plan on quick pit stops and you people in California have my sympathies with your silly press fit fuel nozzle things.

What did I like?

Basically the whole package with a couple of minor quibbles and one major one. Great engine, suspension seems well suited for the intended task, nice low centre of balance with large steering lock (sitting on the seat full lock turns in either direction don't even require any thought). Pretty obviously there is no wind protection and being a big 4 stroke single the mirrors only give a general idea of whats behind you at anything above about 70 kph (40mph) but vibration to the rider was perfectly acceptable. The seat is comfortable but only a 300 miles plus day will really confirm that.

No evidence of stalling or even thinking about stalling.

The side stand stayed down and was rock solid in the down position. I can't say I noticed any issues between it and my heel when riding either.

Minor quibbles

No bash plate as standard
This will be a very SLOW bike to refuel. The gas runs off to one side immediately underneath the cap through a tube smaller than a gas station nozzle. Nobody will be doing a splash and dash on this bike.
Messy electical wiring on the right side of the engine.

Major quibble.

The stand but not what you think. The foot of the stand is about 1" in diameter it's only marginally bigger than the stand tube itself. Any ground other than asphalt or hard packed sun dried clay and this stand will spear itself straight towards the centre of the earth. My Wee Strom has about three times the area of the foot as this thing. I can understand asving a few dollars on a bash plate and selling it as an option but this stand will simply cause damage via a fall over to virtually any Terra that is taken off road. Be warned. and get you mate with the welder to solve the problem as soon as you take your Terra home or carry one of those foot rest things that go under that stand or improve Touratechs profitability by buying the plate extension I'm sure that they will have on the market very quickly.

Will I buy?

Can't actually see any reason not to. I just need to have a serious chat with the dealer about how keen he is to sell after Christmas.

BTW. There are a couple of extra photos I haven't posted here for anybody who wants more.

K1W1 screwed with this post 12-21-2012 at 01:19 AM
Old 12-21-2012, 12:48 AM   #1265
FabOneUp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Great pics and nice personal review K1W1!

TrailBoss, that seems to be the most accurate published review to date IMO. Thanks for posting!

FabOneUp screwed with this post 12-21-2012 at 12:56 AM
FabOneUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:05 AM   #1266
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,211
new rear tire option coming
http://us.ridexperience.metzeler.com...oo-3-at-eicma/
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=850134
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:13 AM   #1267
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,211
K1WI so what is that rear ABS sensor doing there if you don't have ABS on the front?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:14 AM   #1268
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

It's not I just figured it out. It's the speedo sensor running off the rear wheel. I'm going to change the OP.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:26 AM   #1269
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,356
Nice words and pix W1K1. Areas of conern simmilar. But I reckon lots of work arounds. I'm excited. I will have mine in my garage tomorrow.
Good stuff.

We get to ride ours while all the Sepos are indoors
Old 12-21-2012, 01:30 AM   #1270
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

My dealer was expecting a couple for sale today as well but I need to spread reg payments. So far this month we have had the Ducati and my car and my Strom is due next week. I'd like a Feb delivery and by then the B+B plate should be available or at least very close.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:32 AM   #1271
davorallyfan
Commonist

PS I thought you access the air filter from the front of where the tank normally is... kinda above the radiator (I hate that word)?

Torx everywhere - just bought a set.

DRF
Old 12-21-2012, 01:41 AM   #1272
davorallyfan
Commonist

A bit dull

Old 12-21-2012, 01:43 AM   #1273
davorallyfan
Commonist

It does sound like a bag of marbles at idle.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:45 AM   #1274
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
PS I thought you access the air filter from the front of where the tank normally is... kinda above the radiator (I hate that word)?

Torx everywhere - just bought a set.

DRF
Maybe you do. I just assumed that you had to take at least some of that plastic off to get there.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:47 AM   #1275
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
It does sound like a bag of marbles at idle.
Was the one you rode LAMs?

I thought for a LAMs bike the one I rode was great. Two distinct bikes really. Below about 5000 rpm nice and gentle and easy to ride but crack open the throttle and it was like the turbo coming in on my car. The non LAMs will be very nice I suspect.