Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2012, 09:19 AM   #1306
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by krussell View Post
There were first shipment bikes that reported no stalling. The other key bit of data, at least in my case, and my dealers demo case, is that first shipment bikes that have their ECU reset/updated etc. with the dealer computer are transformed into new bikes with no stall, no stumble etc.
Yep. The issue seems a minor one to me...sure sounds like a small glitch that was taken care of immediately by Husky.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #1307
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
I like EFI bikes, but I don't want a bike that requires a special dealership computer to pull codes... In the case of the XT, there wasn't even a fault code, that is why I had to check every sensor! How do yo do that on a BMW bike? You're screwed, dealership it is...

I really like the Terra, and it's the No. 1 to replace the XT if I decide to, but I'm not in a hurry to do so.
I was worried about the same thing. My WR250R generates its own codes...

But then, what are the chances you will need to pull codes? After hashing it over several times in my feeble mind, I finally came to the conclusion that the attributes of the Husky far outweighed the unlikely need to visit a dealership for code retrievel. And, as time goes on, if certain soft-spots turn up the Husky system, forums like this will greatly assist in guiding an owner to the probable cause.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:49 AM   #1308
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,383
Dang! Sure wish there was a dealer within 2 light years of SW Louisiana. Might be just the right bike for what I do.

A '00 KLR 650 38,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 75,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:06 AM   #1309
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley View Post
Dang! Sure wish there was a dealer within 2 light years of SW Louisiana. Might be just the right bike for what I do.
I've had more than 1 BMW dealer here in MI complain that BMW-USA won't allow them to sell Husky....seems a perfect fit!
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:16 AM   #1310
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
I've had more than 1 BMW dealer here in MI complain that BMW-USA won't allow them to sell Husky....seems a perfect fit!
Two BMW dealers in MO are also Husky dealers: Gateway and Grassroots. Maybe there is another Husky dealer too close and there are territory provisions in the dealer contract?
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:16 AM   #1311
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,383
Quote:
I hear that. I rode BMW's for 12 years and my closest dealer was 105 miles from my driveway to their driveway in Baton Rouge. Even that would be a plus if a Husky dealer was there.

A '00 KLR 650 38,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 75,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:32 AM   #1312
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
If "left over" KLRs can be had today for $3999 then it makes the KLR a lot more compelling. I guess the question is how many "left over" KLRs are available at $3999 - can you get one at pretty much any Kawasaki dealer today?
If I recall right, it was leftover 2010s in '11 or maybe even leftover 2009s in'10. In other words, old stock in a down economy. That being said, I would bet you can buy a KLR almost any day of the week for nearly a $1000 under MSRP. And if you're patient, I imagine you could save over $2000 off the cost of the Terra.

That being said, I'd still take the Terra. As somebody pointed out, I think the power to weight gives the Terra a huge fun factor over a KLR.

Sure, you can always add a 685/705 kit. But who really wants to do that to a new bike? Ed himself said he did it because his bike had the oil burning issue. To me the KLR's biggest plus was that it was a turn-key ready adventure bike at a very reasonable price. And it still is the champ at that. But if you want to spend a bit more money, you can get more bike in the Terra. The only real advantage of the KLR (other than price) is range. But unless you really need the fuel range of the KLR (which is exemplary), most people would be just fine with the 200 miles of the Terra.

The fact is the KLR is the right bike for some and the Terra for others. But up until now, the KLR had a lot of that market to itself. They may still own the entry-adventure bike market post-Terra, but you can bet the Terra is going to take a big bite out it (as well as the G650GS market share).
Old 12-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #1313
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
If I recall right, it was leftover 2010s in '11 or maybe even leftover 2009s in'10. In other words, old stock in a down economy. That being said, I would bet you can buy a KLR almost any day of the week for nearly a $1000 under MSRP. And if you're patient, I imagine you could save over $2000 off the cost of the Terra.

That being said, I'd still take the Terra. As somebody pointed out, I think the power to weight gives the Terra a huge fun factor over a KLR.

Sure, you can always add a 685/705 kit. But who really wants to do that to a new bike? Ed himself said he did it because his bike had the oil burning issue. To me the KLR's biggest plus was that it was a turn-key ready adventure bike at a very reasonable price. And it still is the champ at that. But if you want to spend a bit more money, you can get more bike in the Terra. The only real advantage of the KLR (other than price) is range. But unless you really need the fuel range of the KLR (which is exemplary), most people would be just fine with the 200 miles of the Terra.

The fact is the KLR is the right bike for some and the Terra for others. But up until now, the KLR had a lot of that market to itself. They may still own the entry-adventure bike market post-Terra, but you can bet the Terra is going to take a big bite out it (as well as the G650GS market share).
All good points.I think the 200 mile range may be optimistic though. MCN averaged 46.1 and Krussel above averaged 49.6 in real world riding. Neither get you close to 200 miles with 3.57 gallons. Krussel's a big guy though so if someone is smaller/lighter..... I have seen some people reporting in the low/mid 50's which will get close. The range isn't bad, just not quite 200 miles.
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:40 AM   #1314
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by krussell View Post
Very nice pictures K1W1!

The air filter swap is a trivial exercise. It's on the front of the right fairing. Three torx head screws, pull out old, push in new, replace. 5 minute exercise. Does take a bit of finesse to get around a cable bundle, but once you've done it the first time it's very easy.
Here's a picture of the door the air filter lives behind.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #1315
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Boss View Post
I would add that of the 3 Japanese bikes, only the KLR comes stock with a fairing/windscreen and large gas tank. Those two might be the only advantages that a new KLR has over a new Terra, DR, and XR-L.
If that's enough to sway a buyer then so be it. I also wish a Husky dealer was closer to 4-5 hours away from me which is why my next dual sport might be DR, XLR, KLR. I think that is larger factor than wind protection or tank size. I's bet a majority of people buy what they can see/touch, no Husky dealer means some don't even know Husky still makes bikes.

Having had a KLR with a 7gallon tank and a KTM with a 5, I will pick a smaller tank any day over those monsters. It's all about needs/opinions and this pissing match FULL of them
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #1316
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
Working out a GPS mount, like the clean look here, but typically go with something higher on the left side of the bar...

Old 12-21-2012, 11:59 AM   #1317
Trail Boss
World's fastest slowrider

Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
That being said, I would bet you can buy a KLR almost any day of the week for nearly a $1000 under MSRP. And if you're patient, I imagine you could save over $2000 off the cost of the Terra.
You made me curious, so I just searched Cycle Trader nationwide to see what kind of deals I could find on new KLRs. I searched for new 2011 KLR and saw one for $4699, a few in the $5500-5800 range, and the rest around $6200. I searched 2012 and newer and a few were listed in the $5500-5800 range all the rest were listed in the $6000+ range.

So, it appears that by shopping nationwide I could find a new 2011 KLR for $2000 less than a Terra or a new 2012 for $1500 less than a Terra. Either would be a fine deal if I could find one close enough to me that the cost to fly-and-buy or have it shipped to me didn't consume a significant chunk of the savings.

"Nice bike. Have you taken her to Mexico? All bikes want their owners to take them there" - tricepilot

Texas Adventure

Trail Boss screwed with this post 12-21-2012 at 12:11 PM
Trail Boss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:06 PM   #1318
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,556
Quote:

My BMW dealer not only sell Husqvarna, they sell Triumphs. They picked up a defunct Husy dealer ship, so maybe there is some "region" that goes with the franchise.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:12 PM   #1319
Harder1
braaaap!

Oddometer: 57
I can't figure out the picture deal here, but I have some pics of last night's work on the Terra. You can see it here.

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/tr6...s.28603/page-3
Harder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #1320
gunnr
optimsm

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic View Post
Great pics and nice personal review K1W1!

TrailBoss, that seems to be the most accurate published review to date IMO. Thanks for posting!
+1

thanks
gunnr is offline   Reply With Quote