Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2012, 04:07 PM   #121
netteb16
hangersoutters

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBG View Post
And good thing he removed all it because it's up so high, it was really effecting the CG negatively.

I'm looking at the TE630 now, and other than BMW trying to ditch spare parts, that's the only reason I see them replacing the 630. Both 630 SM and TE were better bikes in weight and suspension. Not sure about HP, but 20-30cc's couldnt be that big of a difference considering the weight.
The only thing that was wrong with the 630's is that ugly headlight and front fender in the last few years or so compared to the 610 setup.
While great bikes, the 610/630 certainly aren't high mileage bikes. If you're looking to put thousands of miles a year on a bike, those bikes just won't cut it. I don't think the motor is made for it.

It's not apples to apples. This, ultimately, is more of a street bike.

netteb16 screwed with this post 09-19-2012 at 06:02 PM
netteb16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #122
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,470
Quote:
Because it's still not going to be the off road worthy bike people seem to expect. It's like starting backwards and never getting it to where you want, but you can actually take the TE and make it something you want and it will still weigh 50+ lbs less than the Terra and be better both on and offroad.

Does anyone have stats on engine rebuild with the TE's, or is this just speculation, because if you check the things done to make the BMW engine get 10+ more HP, it looks like it puts in in the same realm as needing work done as the TE. Over a 12 on compression.

I tried this on my DR650 years ago, and it NEVER really became more capable. Lighter headlight, rear fender, now this shoria battery, lighter exhaust. It's still a pig with lipstick. Sure, i can tell when a bike weighs 50 lbs less, but if the suspension isn't made to hack the terrain, and the cases get hung up on things a TE won't, the point is you got the wrong bike. Believe me, I'm seriously looking at this as a contender, but I can keep my DR if I want a passenger, and get the TE because it's just more capable overall.
Why? Because, I can! Yeah, the KLR guys and many skeptics said the same thing when I did this to my KLR, "why bother dropping weight from a pig?" Basically, to have a lighter, faster pig. Dropping weight increases the power to weight ratio. It's just simple physics really. The TR650 seems like a good candidate for the type of riding I do. It's off-road enough for me and that's all I care about. I don't plan to do triples with it. Just some light off-roading. The Youtube videos show it do that just fine. It needs to haul a load for camping and adventure riding. Much like my KLR has done in the past. My KLR had a long travel Cogent Dynamics shock and KX450F forks. Yes, I added inverts to a KLR. The TR already has them. A little reworking should help them out. I have no problem spending a little money to make a bike better. Checkout my KLX250SF in the for sale section. Total overkill.

The TE630 was a great bike but it was not made for racking up high mileage. I was looking seriously at them and I almost bought one, when they were suddenly and without reason discontinued. Great move BMW! A one model year bike, is not something that I want to get involved with. The TE511 is clearly more capable than the TR650, but it won't do what I want to do. If I was looking to connect trails by riding short stretches of pavement, it would be perfect. I think it depends on the type of riding you do. I'm not hardcore off-road. I just like going off-road. Big difference! The guys that I ride with are much like myself, getting a little older, looking for nice roads to ride and enjoying a good trip, when we have the time. We ride everything from a KTM 950, yes I have one, to the DR650. The V-Strom to Harley and Honda cruisers. The 950 left me wanting... something lighter. The KLR didn't have enough power. The TR should be just right! I'd like to stay on the dualsport side of the fence. Most streetbikes do not appeal to me and I have no use for cruisers, at all. YMMV
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #123
netteb16
hangersoutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM View Post
The TE511 is clearly more capable than the TR650, but it won't do what I want to do. If I was looking to connect trails by riding short stretches of pavement, it would be perfect. I think it depends on the type of riding you do. I'm not hardcore off-road. I just like going off-road. Big difference!

Well said. Applies to the 610/630 as well.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:43 PM   #124
Rattletrap
When in doubt-Gas it

Oddometer: 302
I hope these bikes do really well. I think I would look at a Strada or Nuda to compliment my 610.

About maintenance issues on the 610, some have had a few, mine has 18,500 miles with zero problems. I changed the spark plug at 15,000 because I felt guilty. Figure I'll tear it down at 25,000 just to have a look inside.
Rattletrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:11 PM   #125
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'NumNuts View Post
For me, it's all about the Farkles...

For me I want to get 'off the beaten track' but not up the billy goat tracks.

I want to take tent, pad, chair, stove, etc and enough gear to be comfortable, etc and have some protection for the enevitable 'lie downs' the bike will have from time to time.

I guess I see this as the bike I hoped the Serteo would be, in the 'next' model....

I see no advantage in trying to shave weight off the base bike, for what I want to use the bike for... I'd rather put the money into better lighter gear and save the weight that way...

We shall see...
I would think that a lot of Stephan's bits for the XChallenge will fit onto this bike which would be good as it is high quality gear. Other Euro bling makers are already interested in doing things for this bike.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:19 AM   #126
Ol'NumNuts
Getting Stupider

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
I would think that a lot of Stephan's bits for the XChallenge will fit onto this bike which would be good as it is high quality gear. Other Euro bling makers are already interested in doing things for this bike.
Yeah, that's about the only good thing about getting the bike 'last' is that Europe and the rest of the world get to iron out the teething bugs (apparently) and hopefully they sell well enough for the Farkle makers to take interest....
Old 09-20-2012, 08:49 PM   #127
SamM
Jeep Overlander

The Schulz Cycle website lists the weight of the TR650 as 368lbs.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:02 PM   #128
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,650
http://www.ashonbikes.com/content/hu...rada-and-terra
mousitsas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:18 PM   #129
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,723
Quote:
The Schulz Cycle website lists the weight of the TR650 as 368lbs.

Weight: 410lb (186kg) wet, 90% full tank Terra: 404lb (183kg)

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:46 PM   #130
netteb16
hangersoutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
The reviewer is so concerned about the bike's competition, yet failed to mention the bike that I think they are going after...the KLR.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:12 AM   #131
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by netteb16 View Post
The reviewer is so concerned about the bike's competition, yet failed to mention the bike that I think they are going after...the KLR.
The KLR doesn't really exist anywhere outside of the US, they haven't sold them in Europe for about 20 years.

It's just you boys that have a thing for heavy, old and slow things!
Old 09-21-2012, 05:07 AM   #132
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
The KLR doesn't really exist anywhere outside of the US, they haven't sold them in Europe for about 20 years.

It's just you boys that have a thing for heavy, old and slow things!
You left out the most important thing: cheap
Old 09-21-2012, 05:39 AM   #133
SamM
Jeep Overlander

The weight from Shulz Cycle is the dry weight. That dry weight better reflects the true weight of the bike. Different models bikes carry different amounts of fuel. Unless you compare dry weights, it's like comparing apples and oranges.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:07 AM   #134
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
You left out the most important thing: cheap
Absolutely correct. The price of the Terra should really make this an interesting offering for the riders that previously stuck with Japanese bikes because of the high cost of Euro bikes.

Quote:
The weight from Shulz Cycle is the dry weight. That dry weight better reflects the true weight of the bike. Different models bikes carry different amounts of fuel. Unless you compare dry weights, it's like comparing apples and oranges.
Dry weight is also an irrelevant number, what you want to compare is wet weight ready to ride, but no fuel, so you don't punish the bikes with bigger tanks.

I am wondering where all that extra weight of the Terra comes from compared to the X-BMWs?

- Steel swingarm maybe 5 lbs
- Steel subframe maybe 6 lbs (I think this is what Colebatch measured going from stock alu to Touratech steel on his X-Ch)
- Steel amin frame maybe 10 lbs

The rest should be roughly the same, plastic underseat tank, USD forks, wheel sizes etc.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:56 AM   #135
SBG
Neville1 to TT boys

Oddometer: 341
I have an old DR650 with steel swingarm. I believe they weigh 20 lbs and the aluminum weighs 9 lbs according to someone that was modifiying a new swing arm to fit his older bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Absolutely correct. I am wondering where all that extra weight of the Terra comes from compared to the X-BMWs?

- Steel swingarm maybe 5 lbs