Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 09:45 PM   #1426
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
Yup! If I had an FE390, I'd feel differently! I'm looking for one bike to cover the middle ground.

My buddy has the FE390, an F650GS Dakar, and a R1200GS. He thinks he's done (well, for now).
HF got a WR250R, then I copied HF got a WR250R.

Sold the WR250R (and my Aprilia RXV550) and got a FE390, then HF copied me and got a FE390

Then we rode both FE390's in Colorado, and we love those bikes. Great hard-core dual-sport plated bikes, leaning towards technical dirt of course.

Then the local Husky rep dropped off a demo Terra 650 in my driveway and I test rode it for a 1/2 day and I liked it a lot. If anyone cares, I can post my riding impressions.

Told HF about it, then he sold his WR250R and got a Terra 650... (and he has a F800GS too.)

However I did not buy a Terra 650 (yet), nice as it is, since I have a KTM990S and a Terra 650 is a little too close to the same mission purpose.

Makes perfect sense, right?

Let's see some TR650 action shots HighFive!

cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:13 PM   #1427
Nev..
wannabe advrider

Oddometer: 234
new TR650 Terra in Australia

Hi all,

I picked up my TR650 Terra yesterday. I got the first customer bike at my local Husky dealership, about a week after they took delivery of their first demo model. Also owning a DL1000 and previously owning an XB12X Ulysses I really appreciate the bigger wheels, lighter weight and great riding position on the Terra.

Unfortunately, as well as being one of the first owners of the Terra in Australia, I'm probably going to be the first to take theirs back for breakdown repairs. I picked up the bike from the shop, rode it home the long way, 180km or so, then parked it. A couple of hours later I went to start it and I had the dreaded EWS error on the dash. AARRGGHH. Last time I saw this was on the dashboard of my wife's F650GS so I knew exactly what it meant. Engine Won't Start. (and the shop doesn't reopen for 4 days because of the new years holidays). Hopefully it's something simple like the antenna ring failure the GSs are famous for which can be simply replaced.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:37 PM   #1428
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev.. View Post
Hi all,

I picked up my TR650 Terra yesterday. I got the first customer bike at my local Husky dealership, about a week after they took delivery of their first demo model. Also owning a DL1000 and previously owning an XB12X Ulysses I really appreciate the bigger wheels, lighter weight and great riding position on the Terra.

Unfortunately, as well as being one of the first owners of the Terra in Australia, I'm probably going to be the first to take theirs back for breakdown repairs. I picked up the bike from the shop, rode it home the long way, 180km or so, then parked it. A couple of hours later I went to start it and I had the dreaded EWS error on the dash. AARRGGHH. Last time I saw this was on the dashboard of my wife's F650GS so I knew exactly what it meant. Engine Won't Start. (and the shop doesn't reopen for 4 days because of the new years holidays). Hopefully it's something simple like the antenna ring failure the GSs are famous for which can be simply replaced.
Interesting, I didn't know the Terra had an antenna ring. Long shot, but one thing to try is make sure that you only have one key in the ignition or on your person. On BMWs with the antenna ring, more than one key in range can be an issue.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:29 PM   #1429
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
I had been thinking that I was too quick to criticize - too quick to judge with my early posts on this thread. But I find that I agree with all three of the posts above, without a conflict.

The KTM690e and the TE610/630 represent the most recent, high-spec alternatives in a range of DS bikes that lean at least 50/50, if not more towards the off-road end of the spectrum.

The DR650 represents the low-tech end of that spectrum, from 50/50 to perhaps a bit more street oriented.

I don't think we'll find stone axe reliability and high-spec components (and light weight) in the same package any time soon, and I think that the DR650 represents the ultimate fall-back position, or provides a reference standard if you will.

The TR650's fall somewhere in the middle of the continuum. After reading much of this thread several times, I believe that the new Huskies will be a sales success in the USA, but that they miss the value proposition FOR ME.

If I had to buy a DS now, new or used, my choices would be between a WR250R and a TE630, and I'd lean toward the WRR. But I've decided to wait a bit and see what the market does. Yamaha has all of the pieces to sweep the board if they only had the will. Who knows if the manufacturers ever check these forums, but for my money, a 450R thumper or a 500R parallel twin (a modern KLE500 if you will) from Yamaha would change the game, and get me out of this rut in which I've been stuck for far too long.

Edit: Just for reference, the Husqvarna Nuda 900R weighs 428 lbs. wet. Small tank, yes. But Toura Tech did wonders for it aftermarket. Another reason I'm waiting a bit. Yamaha, where are you?

Especially "I don't think we'll find stone axe reliability and high-spec components (and light weight) in the same package any time soon"

Some numbers:

Claimed wet curb weights:

TR650 Terra -186kg w/ABS 410lbs (I've read actual 405lbs without)
Sertao -192kg/423lbs
KLR650 -196kg/432lbs -22L tank
XT600R -181kg/399lbs -not for us in NA...suckers...
XT600Z (Tenere) -208.5kg/459lbs -23L tank -not for us in NA...suckers...
DR650 -167kg/368lbs
690R -150kg/331lbs -wow!
X Challenge -156kg/344lbs
TE630 -160kg/353lbs

and for kicks:
CRF250L -145kg/320lbs
KLX250S -135kg/298lbs
WR250R -134kg/295lbs at least $1100.00 CAD more than the others, alu frame/swingarm, far better suspension, better engine...barely lighter?

In fact sadly none of the Yamahas are light...(then there's the Super Tenere) but they are well built and have reliable engines. Just not sure if they would ever make what we want (maybe that will work? ). I will trade a few kgs for better build/reliability though.
The TE did look close though...sad that it's gone so soon
The 690R does look good but the price is much higher (justified perhaps it's a fun machine to ride!) and then the big tank is an issue ($$) too.

There's no doubt that the Terra is heavy compared to the "performance alternatives" but it also has a stronger rear sub-frame (and steel) for example. That's a weak point of the 690 (sorta), 630 and the X Chall. It also has an arguably more reliable engine? Husky's going after a certain target sort of "general" consumer and price is of course a part of that.

They aren't building our ultimate Adv bike yet (who is?) but it may be a start.
Hopefully there is an R version down the pipe. I'd gladly pay $1000 more for better suspension/lighter/bigger tank etc. I don't want more power/less range though or less reliability.

I also find it interesting that the Terra "only" has 7.5" travel but has 10.5" ground clearance. That's a lot for that amount of travel. That puts in .5" away from the 690R for example but it over 2" less travel I bet there's some spacers in the fork and a long stroke rear shock out there...or at least the height/room to put some longer travel bits on within the stock dimensions...and an alu swingarm

I think the Terra is a great bike and it both has lot of potential and has potential to wake up the competitors!

Dave

toowheels screwed with this post 12-30-2012 at 12:06 PM
toowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:11 AM   #1430
Nev..
wannabe advrider

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by krussell View Post
Interesting, I didn't know the Terra had an antenna ring. Long shot, but one thing to try is make sure that you only have one key in the ignition or on your person. On BMWs with the antenna ring, more than one key in range can be an issue.
No, Unfortunately that isn't the problem. The antenna is not that sensitive. The demo I took for a test ride had it's two keys ziptied to one another (one key down, one key up) and there was no issue with it starting. I am just fortunate this occurred in my driveway at home. In fact exactly the same spot where my wife's GS was parked when it had it's EWS event, and the symptons on the Husky are identical to those we saw on the GS. Bike parked for a time, key turned, EWS showing on dash with no other symptoms leading up to this. Another friend had the same issue on his R1200GS, Unfortunately for him he was camping in a forest several hundred km from home at the time and had to get towed from his campsite.

May as well add a few pics of my new ride. These are from it's inaugural and only ride (5km from home to the shop to pick it up... 175km to get it home).

Nev.. screwed with this post 12-30-2012 at 01:17 AM
Nev.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:04 AM   #1431
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,679
The G.O.A.T.

It was recently pointed out to me, by Rufus (during is test ride ), that The GOAT - Ricky Carmichael had all his motocross race bikes reduced to only 8" of suspension travel. I had never heard this before and found it very interesting.

Granted, his machine didn't weigh 400 lbs, but proper spring and hydraulic valving can account for that. I shall have to go pound my Terra harder.......where is my skid plate? The Motosportz dude has never responded to my inquiry.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:56 AM   #1432
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
It was recently pointed out to me, by Rufus (during is test ride ), that The GOAT - Ricky Carmichael had all his motocross race bikes reduced to only 8" of suspension travel. I had never heard this before and found it very interesting.

Granted, his machine didn't weigh 400 lbs, but proper spring and hydraulic valving can account for that. I shall have to go pound my Terra harder.......where is my skid plate? The Motosportz dude has never responded to my inquiry.

HF
I bet it wasn't a reduction of gross travel but effective travel. That dude is short!
Old 12-30-2012, 07:04 AM   #1433
Bubba Bauer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Thumb some more rant

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
The big thing the previous posters are missing (asummed) is an actual Test Ride. I had similar thoughts from reading the spec sheet. Then I snatched a test ride.....and all bets were off immediately. I came home and sold my WRR and bought the Terra. Everyone won't be like me. But everyone doesn't have a Husaberg 390 in their stable, either. Just sayin

I really don't care what you ride. Just want you to go for a Test Ride. Then, tell us what you think.

I will correct Bubba on an obvious error in his post. The Terra has more than twice the horsepower and torque of WRR, not merely 10% additional, as cited. My stock WRR only had 22 HP and 14 ft-lbs Torque....you can see the Dyno Charts and read all about my work on it at the WRRdualsport.com link in my Signature. Zero speculation.

The Terra motor is absolutely fantastic for general DS duty, and the bike feels balanced and nimble (though it remains a mystery how). I'm having a freaking blast on it!

Sad that price is higher in Aussie & Canada. I paid less than $7,000 OTD in USA.

HF
Sorry mate slight misunderstanding with the power figures I was measuring the crf to the wrr with the 5-10% power and weight difference not the terra. I would definitely trying to go on a test ride if for nothing else than to check out whats all this hype is about

I hope there will be a 160kg Terra R version a 180kg Nuda XC a yamaha xt700 an honda crf700r a kawasaki klrsys a KTM light paralel twin, digitally fuel injected 2T-s whatever we dream up and the more the manufacturers fight for our money the better!

IMHO Sadly nothing going to happen in the near future. The japanese will not do anything in this segment other than matching the euros (if it`s not too tedious) Australia, Europe and the USA are their sidelines and the ADV bikes they sell simply doesn`t cause a blip on their corporate sales charts, while for the Euros it`s the opposite this segment and these areas are their lifeblood so every bike they push out of the door should be WAY better so someone living in OZ should`t even poke a jap bike with a shitty stick, thats another cause why I`m disappointed with this model and with the BMW s1000rr selling like hot cakes probably they`ll invest their RD money on a 600cc supersport or a 1000rr based naked KTM will building bikes for India and China so I wouldn`t wait for a ground breaking new blah blah blah ADv bike. No more rant... I promise

People are so sensible with these bikes some screens, some bags I want some sparks from the angle grinders , titanium subframes, fork and swinger swaps, ultralight wheels, rally fairings SURELY they can`t be this good that everyone leaves them stock!

Anyone who bought one congratulations and I hope you`ll enjoy riding them every minute the rest is just talking anyways.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:55 AM   #1434
Bubba Bauer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Question maintenance

I know the bikes are new,but could someone share some thoughts about maintenance or living together like

Valve checks (access, special tools, annoying little things)
Swing arm pivot, linkages, headstock (grease nipples, adequate factory grease, does it needs special tools etc.)
Light bulb access, battery location, fuse access
Does anything sticking out to harms way cable routing etc.
Radiator and its hoses?

Or how to change preload?
Does anything protects the rear shock does the forks weep adequate dust seals, do they stick or are they smooth?
How do you have access to cables to oil them what sort of electrical connectors, cable routing?
Do you have any shit fasteners which would rot after the first rain, plastic bobs patents?
How long does it take to gain access to stuff?
Chain adjustment?
Sprocket change?
Chain guides, rollers aftermarket options?
Brake pad access rear break protection fittment options?
Anything comming loose weeping fluids etc.?
Special oddball screws, fastereners bits an bobs anything out of the ordinary WTF moments?
Any water dust muck and mud in odd places where they shouldn`t be?
Water coolant level check and access?

I`m not looking for a step by step guide just some thoughts, like it`s a total PITA to even think about doing this or that I wouldn`t leave home without a spare coolant hose or some...

Can`t think of anything else ATM,but just thoughts feelings about ownership issues...
Old 12-30-2012, 08:29 AM   #1435
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy83 View Post
but this new husky i really fell in love with the moment i seen one,too bad my dealer wont let test rides.
Find another dealer. Let that guy sit on his inventory and pay flooring.

When I worked in a dealership, we only required a credit check, copy of your driver's license, and a signed liability waiver. Anyone was welcome to ride whatever they wanted.

In sales, you're not only selling a product, but, an experience, too. Some dealers need to learn that.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:00 AM   #1436
Redclayrider
Long time gone

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Bauer View Post
I know the bikes are new,but could someone share some thoughts about maintenance or living together like

Valve checks (access, special tools, annoying little things)
Swing arm pivot, linkages, headstock (grease nipples, adequate factory grease, does it needs special tools etc.)
Light bulb access, battery location, fuse access
Does anything sticking out to harms way cable routing etc.
Radiator and its hoses?

Or how to change preload?
Does anything protects the rear shock does the forks weep adequate dust seals, do they stick or are they smooth?
How do you have access to cables to oil them what sort of electrical connectors, cable routing?
Do you have any shit fasteners which would rot after the first rain, plastic bobs patents?
How long does it take to gain access to stuff?
Chain adjustment?
Sprocket change?
Chain guides, rollers aftermarket options?
Brake pad access rear break protection fittment options?
Anything comming loose weeping fluids etc.?
Special oddball screws, fastereners bits an bobs anything out of the ordinary WTF moments?
Any water dust muck and mud in odd places where they shouldn`t be?
Water coolant level check and access?

I`m not looking for a step by step guide just some thoughts, like it`s a total PITA to even think about doing this or that I wouldn`t leave home without a spare coolant hose or some...

Can`t think of anything else ATM,but just thoughts feelings about ownership issues...
WOW that is a lot of stuff to know about a new motorcycle.

Personally I would be worried if anyone could give you first hand impressions on most of that stuff.
Redclayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:23 PM   #1437
krussell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
Rolled over 2k mi on the Strada today. Bike is running sweet. Very fun ride, sort of addictive. Waited for the ice to thaw until about 2pm, then headed out. Still ran into ice with a bit of elevation, but got a good ride in.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:31 PM   #1438
Kainic
Almost there

Oddometer: 379
So I am thinking of selling my 06 Dakar and pick up a TR. Is this worth the trip?
Kainic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #1439
TaZ9
Ultimate Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev.. View Post
No, Unfortunately that isn't the problem. The antenna is not that sensitive. The demo I took for a test ride had it's two keys ziptied to one another (one key down, one key up) and there was no issue with it starting. I am just fortunate this occurred in my driveway at home. In fact exactly the same spot where my wife's GS was parked when it had it's EWS event, and the symptons on the Husky are identical to those we saw on the GS. Bike parked for a time, key turned, EWS showing on dash with no other symptoms leading up to this. Another friend had the same issue on his R1200GS, Unfortunately for him he was camping in a forest several hundred km from home at the time and had to get towed from his campsite.

May as well add a few pics of my new ride. These are from it's inaugural and only ride (5km from home to the shop to pick it up... 175km to get it home).

"Antenna ring"?? "EWS event"????????? Man, how Iove the simplicity of my DR650! Insert and turn key, push start button and RIDE!!

TaZ9 screwed with this post 12-30-2012 at 08:52 PM Reason: correct wording
TaZ9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:05 AM   #1440
Johnnyboxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by toowheels View Post

Claimed wet curb weights:

690R -150kg/331lbs -wow!
X Challenge -156kg/344lbs
TE630 -160kg/353lbs

There's no doubt that the Terra is heavy compared to the "performance alternatives" but it also has a stronger rear sub-frame (and steel) for example.

That's a weak point of the 690 (sorta), 630 and the X Chall. It also has an arguably more reliable engine?
Subframes are easily sorted

Those 3 are the BEST executed 600cc Dualsports that have been brought to market in the last 5 years, bar none

Great engines
Great chassis
Sub 160kg fuelled
Good suspension
Good on road and offroad, which is essentially what a Dualsport should be

Unfortunately the 650 Terra, falls well short of the mark, being too road orientated and is essentially a re-dressed BMW F650GS/Sertao/Dakar

2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Black
2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Silver
2007 BMW G650 XCountry - Black
Johnnyboxer is offline   Reply With Quote