Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2012, 02:50 AM   #1
chukzelda OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Anyone go from motorcycle to scooter?

Hi,

I have a 35 mile daily commute. I'm considering trading my 2nd motorcycle for a scooter for this commute. I need better weather protection for when cold weather hits.

Has anyone moved from a motorcycle to a large cc scooter? Thoughts? Is the weather protection sufficient?

thanks
Chuk
chukzelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:06 AM   #2
kirkster70
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
I had a Burgman 400 and a Burgman 650. Both excellent scoots.

Both had better weather protection than the ST1100 and ST1300 that I had owned. The Burg650 made the ST1100 look small when sitting next to it.

I was commuting 110 miles a day, and both Burgs did better as a commuter than 95% of the bikes I've owned. Pretty impressive machines.

I had my Gerbings heated gear hooked up to each, and ran them all winter.

My only complaints were going through rear tires very often, and the smaller tires can be harsh on bumps that you normally don't feel on standard size MC tires.

One more thing - people give you NO respect on a scooter. They assume you are driving an uninsured traffic jamming turd, so they just look you in the eye while running you off the road. I caved in the door of a $80k AUDI one morning because he decided he should be where I was and steadily came over while looking right at me. He forced me to the shoulder at 60 mph.

kirkster70 screwed with this post 08-05-2012 at 03:15 AM
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:02 AM   #3
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,825
Ecobox would be my choice for commuting in bad weather. My Scion IQ is at 40 MPG average. Keep the bike for nice weather.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:10 AM   #4
chukzelda OP
Adventurer

Hi,

Sound like either burgman is a winner for commuting. Fortunately, due to living in the country, I have no real traffic to contend with. I also leave early in the morning (5:30), so I have the road to myself many days.

I'm not looking to ride it in bad weather. I need the full fairing protection as the temps early in the morning can be in the low 40's and then warm up to 70 mid-day. Once the snow flies, I stop riding 2 wheel and move back to my car.

I've ridden in the rain on motorcycles for years and it doesn't even bother me anymore.

Chuk
Old 08-05-2012, 04:21 AM   #5
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

I'm confused. You said "I need better weather protection for when cold weather hits."

Anyway, a good 200cc plus scooter will do the trick. I had a SYM HD200 which was plenty of scooter for a 35 mile commute. 70 plus MPH @ 70 MPG.

Burgerking 400 or 650 is nice but overkill for your commute.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:12 AM   #6
chukzelda OP
Adventurer

Barone,

My current bike is a cruiser. I know from past years (and other bikes) that I will need lower fairing protection for when the temps drop below 50. Cruiser are great in warm weather, but they channel air up over the tank in addition to the air coming around the side of the windshield. My bike has no ability to have any lowers or deflectors mounted to it.

It's interesting that a 200 - 300 cc scooter will be enough for my commute. I figured they would not have the acceleration or protection. Time I looked into them.

thanks much.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:04 AM   #7
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,587
You never mentioned the normal speeds on your commute. If you are on a highway going 70+, I would recommend at least a 300. If your speeds are 60 and under, some 200s will do just fine. I wouldn't hesitate to ride cross country on my 250 but I would want something bigger if I was primarily going to ride on highways.

BTW, I bought my first scooter after over 30 years of riding motorcycles. Scooters are a blast. There are many others on this forum with experiences similar to mine. I have 2 motorcycles and 2 scooters. I ride the scooters much more than the motorcycles.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:58 AM   #8
topless
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
I have a 12-1/2 mile commute and have ridden small motorcycles and scooters on it for several years. I started out riding a CT90 and while kinda fun, 30 year old technology requires work and the electrics are a joke. Then went to another old Honda SL125 It was marginally faster, an suffered similar electrical issues. Went to a 400cc Supermoto and had some fun, but while it was highway capable, I hated riding at highway speeds on a naked bike. Finally bought a Zuma125 and really liked it, but at times I needed highway speeds. What I did find is the scooter's handling, twist and go CVT with some storage is great and having EFI was another big plus, I put 3600 miles on it over the last year. This spring Suzuki offered 0% financing for 60 months and the local dealer had a leftover 2011 Burgman400, so I jumped on it. The idea that the B400 is too much for a 12-1/2 mile commute is rather dumb. The huge underseat storage and comfort, let's me use it like a small car. Although I confess, I don't ride it when temps get over about 95 degrees. It's too hard on an old man like me. I've put over 2000 miles on it in the last 4 months and it's fuel mileage is getting better, averaging 57-58 now. Most of those miles were before July, since then we've had temps running over 100 degrees almost every day.
topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:23 AM   #9
SPOFF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
I traded a 120 hp Yamaha V-Max for a Honda 125cc PCX. I found I had less and less use for a naked motorcycle that could go 150 mph and I really needed a commuter that gave me 105 mpg. But my commute for one job is 8 miles on back roads and the other is a quarter mile. (I still own a half-ton, 100 hp cruiser and a KLR dirt bike for winter use.) I wouldn't use something as small as the PCX for a 35-mile commute. But for that time when gas goes to $6 a gallon, I'm ready.
SPOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:25 AM   #10
chukzelda OP
Adventurer

Hi,

The speed limit on my commute is 65 MPH. I want to feel stable and be protected from cold air blasting directly on me.

Chuk
Old 08-05-2012, 08:52 AM   #11
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,704
If you need to go 65mph then the Burgman 400 or Majesty 400 would be about perfect.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:11 AM   #12
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

SYM HD200 or like performance scooter would be just fine also for a max 65 MPH commute.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #13
emmettken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,901
I rode motorcycles,all kinds,for 44yrs. Sold my last one 3yrs ago and bought a Burgman 400. Will probably buy a second scooter,smaller one,when I find the right one at the right price. I'm thinking used 125cc to 250cc.
emmettken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:53 AM   #14
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by chukzelda View Post
Barone,

My current bike is a cruiser. I know from past years (and other bikes) that I will need lower fairing protection for when the temps drop below 50. Cruiser are great in warm weather, but they channel air up over the tank in addition to the air coming around the side of the windshield. My bike has no ability to have any lowers or deflectors mounted to it.

It's interesting that a 200 - 300 cc scooter will be enough for my commute. I figured they would not have the acceleration or protection. Time I looked into them.

thanks much.
A BV 350 will cruise all day long at 70mph without strain, even 2 up except at very high altitudes (I'm writing from near Breckenridge, CO where I'm sitting at 10,800 ft) then it might strain a bit with 2 up but with 1 no problems. Our 250cc Sprots City has handled I-70 even over mountain passes and the Eisenhower Tunnel with no problems keeping up with traffic.

If you ride a cruiser and like the foot forward position a maxiscoot like a Burgman or Kymco Xciting may be your preferred scooter but I like the more traditional style, several of which have lap apron options that would make your cold weather commute warm and toasty. A Vespa GTS, S or GTS with a Thurmoscud http://scooter-wear.com/tucano-urban...spa-gt-gtv-gts puts the radiator vents blowing warm air on your legs as you ride. There are Thermoscuds available for other scooters (and even some motorcycles) but not many models of scooters have heat vents that can send the warm air directly to your legs. The lap aprons also provide water and wind protection even more than a faring. I spend the school year in Houston where my GTS even without a lap apron is comfortable down to the upper 30s and I have no problem riding I-10, I-45 or other freeways with it. There are several GTS riders in Houston that have it as their ownly transportation. One of which is Russian and swears by his Thermoscud which he rode all winter with in Russia before emmigrating to the US.

Some of the scoots like my Aprilia Scarabeo are pre-wired for heated grips you just have to add the grip and maybe order the button.

cdwise screwed with this post 08-05-2012 at 10:01 AM Reason: fixed a typo
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #15
Realbtl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I go from mc to scoot (and back) daily or as the mood strikes. My choices are Helix, Silverwing, VFR and Suz S40. That said, come end of Sept or so, the bikes get less and less use here in Montana. Interestingly the Helix has better wind/weather protection than the Wing. Test a few scoots and see which offers the most protection.
Realbtl is offline   Reply With Quote