User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #1
deezildennis OP
Its a what?

Oddometer: 823
S100 motorcyle wash= not good times!

I have been hand washing my Ssr rowdy for over a year with just car wash soap in a bucket and it has been fine. Unfortunately my neighbour let me try a product called S100 motorcycle wash and it stripped the gloss right off all the black tubes on the bike. It did some damage to his old s50 1400 paint he has as well. We washed the bikes right after it rained and my bike was cool from sitting in the garage. I bet the stuff didn't even sit on it for over a minute before we rinsed them off.

I'm Really bummed out the bike it has Damn near looked new for a while even with the sun beating on it. I waxed it pretty good on every painted part this summer and It didn't hurt the paint on the plastics but destroyed the finish on every tube on it. Wax did not seem to bring back any of the luster either. It's like a flat black on the tubes now.

Crying shame.

deezildennis screwed with this post 09-11-2012 at 04:26 PM
deezildennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
knucklehead90
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Wash the wax off and try a tire shine product on the affected parts.

Cages:
1971 Karmann Ghia
2013 VW Jetta TDi Premium
knucklehead90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #3
deezildennis OP
Its a what?

I think it ate the wax off but I will try the tire shine.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,761
Lets hope it was the wax. For real bad jobs I ve used calforna clay bar which take off the dirt etc but doesn't remove pants.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:11 PM   #5
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,578
What do you mean by "tubes"? Painted steel frame members? Rubber hoses?

Rubber hoses are naturally a drab flat greyish black colour. They're only shiny black when some kind of rubber dressing is used. A mist of Armour All works well, or tire dressing.
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:11 PM   #6
deezildennis OP
Its a what?

I am talking about the exposed gloss black painted tubes all over the bike.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #7
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Are you sure it was S100 "cycle cleaner", or S100 "wheel cleaner". Years ago I mistakenly washed a bike with the wheel cleaner, and it did just what you said. But I have used S100 cycle cleaner many times, and it worked great. Main problem is price. Not cheap. Simple Green is almost as good, and much cheaper. NEVER use Castrol Superclean, it will remove the paint and clearcoat real quick. I have in fact used it for paint remover. I also used it on KLR plastics before painting them. It sucked the oil right out of the plastic and left a very dull looking surface, perfect for paint.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #8
deezildennis OP
Its a what?

It is in a white spray bottle, total cycle cleaner or something to that effect.

The tire shine slicks it up but it evaporated overnight. I am going to strip the plastics off of it this weekend and My neighbor and I are going to try and cut and buff the stock paint.

If that doesn't work I am going to tear the whole damn thing down and have the frame blasted and powder coated..

It's pretty crazy but After having a ton of bikes through the years this my cheapest new bike but it is my most utilized bike and I am almost sick over it.... silly I know..

Damn thing looks like it sat out in the AZ sun for 10 years..
Old 09-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #9
JerryH
Banned

Strange. Even Harley recommends it.

If it had set out in the AZ sun for 10 years, there wouldn't be any paint on it. Or rubber or plastic. But it would not be rusted. Things just do not rust here. My used to be dark blue '01 Chevy Malibu is a sort of spotted gray. Most of the clearcoat burned off, the paint underneath is a chalky gray, the tire sidewalls are rotted, the dash and seats are all cracked, the plastic bumper covers are all deformed, cosmetically it is junk, mechanically it is fine, runs like new with 115,000 miles on it. Guy across the street bought a new Vette several months ago, his garage is full of junk, and it is sitting out in the driveway. Makes me sick every time I see it. $64,000 car and it will be junk in a few years.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:46 PM   #10
bbishoppcm
It ain't a moped.

Oddometer: 666
Funny... up here in the great white north, cars rot away usually within five to fifteen years of manufacture... but our interiors never fade, crack, or discolor. So here's my proposition; you send me your rust-free cars, and I'll return them with perfect junkyard interiors from NH, thus making the cars new again. For a nominal fee, of course...
bbishoppcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:02 PM   #11
deezildennis OP
Its a what?

Ok so five years in the AZ sun. Sheesh :)

I have been doing a few searches on the net and it looks like there may be a few other instances of this affecting all sorts of surfaces on bikes including Harleys.

I wont be using it again that's for sure.

This also did some damage to my neighbors s50 frame.
Sort of matted his out a little bit as well.

For friggs sake...
Old 09-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #12
JerryH
Banned

That really sucks. Maybe I won't be using it again. It's possible they changed the formula. Simple Green is still a safe and much cheaper alternative.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #13
deezildennis OP
Its a what?

I cleaned my helix off when I got it with straight simple green it worked great! But if I get the paint shining again on the rucklone it'll be car soap and water from here on out.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #14
drseventies
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Deezil, I'm almost sick just reading about your mishap. I only found this forum because of your Rowdy thread and I feel for you. I hope you have some luck bringing it back.
drseventies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:37 PM   #15
JerryH
Banned

Try some Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish on the frame. It should put the oil back into the paint that the cleaner took out.

You're not the only one with frame paint problems. I recently cleaned the engine on my Vulcan 750 with some Gunk degreaser. The engine came out fine, but a lot of paint came off the lower frame tubes, which had been soaking in oil for several years. It's 10 years old with 74,000 miles, so I wasn't that upset, but I was a little disappointed. I bought it new, and that is the only noticable cosmetic damage it has. With that many miles it is not worth tearing down to repaint or powdercoat the frame.