Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 07:14 AM   #16
samueleuk OP
Sam

Oddometer: 70
Thank you guys for all your replies. Very interesting data on what adventure bike riders drink whilst travelling

Cheers

Sam
samueleuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:34 AM   #17
casey sohc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
Drink!

rye and diet DrPepper,the square bottle packs better.a plastic one won't break...
Old 09-21-2012, 06:46 AM   #18
jon6.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardfj40 View Post
I am a mountain biker and long distance bicycle rider, I always used sport drink on my bicycle rides (powder Gatorade, Cytomax,..mixed with water) when I start to ride my motorcycle long distance, I realized that sports drink works as well..

The only thing I don't I like about motorcycling is the physical inactivity (could be unhealthy??) ...But since I ride my bicycles often so that's ok. On long adv trip, I think it's best if I can do some hiking or jogging beside spent too much time on the saddle.
I usually dump a 32 oz Gatorade/Powerade into my camelback and fill it the rest of the way up with water. It works out to basically 50/50 water/sports drink mix.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #19
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,216
Aguardiente.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:56 PM   #20
p3chief
Start'n Over

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider View Post
Rum with lime juice over ice is always nice.

I got in touch with myself.
Very little research was done.
That sounds good too!!!! I normally go with Jack......no chaser......
p3chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:25 PM   #21
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Aguardiente.

i've always thought bourbon was the drink of choice for true ADV riders.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:26 PM   #22
ScooterboyII
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Thumb

I eat those energy bars or trail mix and lots of water and Gatorade/Powerade. When stopped for gas they always seem to have banana's that I grab on my way out from getting rid of my liquids.
ScooterboyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:15 PM   #23
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Don't drink alcohol and ride or drive ! This isn't even fucking funny!

People who are saying they drink alcohol when they stop should stop riding bikes. Just take on a bus.
You should even drink the night you are going to ride in the morning ! alcohol don't leave the body at least 10 hours.

DON'T FUCKING DRINK AND RIDE. IF YOU WANT TO DO THAT DO IT IN Usa , YOU DON'T HAVE TO WEAR HELMET in USA ANYWAY, SO YOU CAN DIE QUICKLY AND WE WILL BE ONE IDIOT LESS IN THIS WORLD!
Tancakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #24
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,595
during long hard periods of Bicycle riding I drink two water bottles for every one sports drink. IMHO that's plenty. For ADV riding maybe one sports drink per day at least for me. Maybe more if extremely hot...and all day riding.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:33 PM   #25
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,292
W a t e r

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:14 PM   #26
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Riding a motorcycle and running marathons is hardly a comparison. If you find riding that difficult and you are sweating that much, you are doing something seriously wrong, and it's not "water vs gatorade" that will fix your problems.

Proper gear (including color selection), proper bike setup (more airflow instead of being behind windscreen), proper strategy (not standing around and always moving or sitting in air-conditioned gas stations) are much more important than finding some perfect elixir.

The only noteworthy tip for hydration is to stay away from crap that has a lot of sugar/etc. Otherwise, all the other options are going to be very close in terms of results. Very minute differences. Scientific studies trying to measure effects of these sportdrinks and whatever show very minuscule benefits, or no benefits at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tancakar View Post

People who are saying they drink alcohol when they stop should stop riding bikes. Just take on a bus.
You should even drink the night you are going to ride in the morning ! alcohol don't leave the body at least 10 hours.

DON'T FUCKING DRINK AND RIDE. IF YOU WANT TO DO THAT DO IT IN Usa , YOU DON'T HAVE TO WEAR HELMET in USA ANYWAY, SO YOU CAN DIE QUICKLY AND WE WILL BE ONE IDIOT LESS IN THIS WORLD!
I guess a lot of people are coming from the "cruiser" crowd, some of which finds it acceptable to do rides to a bar to grab a drink. This might be an extension of it.

Not sure why 40 year old men would brag about booze or drinking, though. I can understand the 21 year old crowd getting all amped up about getting some drinks, but I do not understand the typical older adventure rider subset that gets excited about booze. You're too old for that, people. If you want to be seen as young and hip, shows us something interesting you did on your trip... hitting the liquor store ain't it.
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:16 PM   #27
9D2
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tancakar View Post

Can I ask where in the hell you heard that alcohol doesn't leave for 10 hours?
Alcohol almost perfectly burns off at a rate of .015/ hour. That's the damn near universal standard, unless your liver isn't functioning proper, which for the average male is around 1 drink. For me, my go to at night is about 3 beers, which leaves me at .5 BAC (I bought a breathalyzer a while back after I damn near got a DUI, cop told my friend to drive the rest of the way). By the rate alcohol burns off, I'll be 100% sober in around 3 hours.
Anyways, back on topic. I typically do a 2 mile swim and a 5 mile run every morning, so my body is used to using up my water and that's what I stick with, just plain water. This may be a bit odd to some, but I carry a small vial of vanilla extract and put it in my camelbak and, in my opinion, it's gives it a little improvement in taste.
9D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:29 PM   #28
pne
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
I aint putting a pinch of salt in my damn water, that's disgusting. Plenty of other ways to get electrolytes back like eating peanuts, chips, jerky, etc while drinking your water.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:58 AM   #29
Tancakar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D2 View Post
Can I ask where in the hell you heard that alcohol doesn't leave for 10 hours?
Alcohol almost perfectly burns off at a rate of .015/ hour. That's the damn near universal standard, unless your liver isn't functioning proper, which for the average male is around 1 drink. For me, my go to at night is about 3 beers, which leaves me at .5 BAC (I bought a breathalyzer a while back after I damn near got a DUI, cop told my friend to drive the rest of the way). By the rate alcohol burns off, I'll be 100% sober in around 3 hours.
Anyways, back on topic. I typically do a 2 mile swim and a 5 mile run every morning, so my body is used to using up my water and that's what I stick with, just plain water. This may be a bit odd to some, but I carry a small vial of vanilla extract and put it in my camelbak and, in my opinion, it's gives it a little improvement in taste.
I might be wrong With that 10 hours , I am angry to people just want to drink and drive or ride. There is no acceptable reason to drink and drive.
I think I got a problem with some American's.

In USA

You can carry guns, but you are agains terrorism
You can ride without helmet but you can't filter traffic?
You can buy a racing bike, but speed limits are funny for such a country which endless straight roads.

And a lot of cruiser lot drinks and ride .

Mind you I heard that last year 572 baby's die in America because they are left in the car by their mothers with no air con or open window?

In what kind of head you making your rules, Americans?

How can be carrying guns is ok and filtering the traffic is rude?

God I am upset.
Tancakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:08 AM   #30
doctor_big
It hurts when I fall down

Oddometer: 687
Gatorade watered down to 50# strength. Each night fill your camelbak up half way and lay it down in the freezer. The next morning fill it the rest of the way up. Stays cold for a good chunk of the day