Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 11:42 AM   #16
Emoto OP
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Error View Post
Correct. As I understand its evolution, Basecamp started out as a program for hikers/hunters/etc... to plan and visualize routes through the woods. The ability to use topo map data was baked right in from the start.
Have you played around with Basecamp for making road routes? If so, what do you think?
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #17
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,933
My problem with Topos was with the new release of BaseCamp.

I just fixed that problem. It turned out that the Windows Registry location for the map img files was pointing a place on my D Drive where I had them stored. Mapsource was happy with this but apparently not Basecamp.

I noticed they were also stored on my C Drive in a Garmin directory. So I changed the Registry to point to the C drive instead and Basecamp seems to like this and things are working.

I still use Mapsource for most serious trip planning work. But there are features of BaseCamp that I really like. BC shows minor roads out to much higher zoom levels than Mapsource. Creating a route in BC is just about the same as Mapsource. You just have to hit the New tool and pick Route instead of a dedicated route tool.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:32 PM   #18
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
I just bought a new Montana and a new City Nav for it. The new City Nav works fine with Mapsource.

But the new BaseCamp is not seeing my old 100k Topos which is causing me some grief.

I haven't had any luck yet getting a solution from Garmin.
Download Javawa Device Manager and it will allow you to set the missing map to be visible in Basecamp. And a whole lot more. It's a great program.

http://www.javawa.nl/jdm_en.html

Just realized you meant that BC didn't see the maps installed on your computer. The advice I gave was with regard to having BaseCamp see the maps on the gps, even if they are not installed on the computer.

Might be useful to you someday, anyway.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 09-12-2012 at 08:38 PM
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #19
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
I agree, no harm. Can you think of anything about Basecamp to recommend it, or some feature that is really nice that MapSource doesn't have? (serious question, I have no idea)
Garmin Adventures. Buggy as it's a recent feature, but it shows a lot of potential.

Here's a quick sample I made up recently: http://adventures.garmin.com/en-US/b...ur-motorcycles

And another advantage is BaseCamp's ability to see the maps on your gps when it's connected to the computer even if they are not installed on the computer, as described in my previous post.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 09-12-2012 at 08:49 PM
Old 09-13-2012, 06:58 AM   #20
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Download Javawa Device Manager and it will allow you to set the missing map to be visible in Basecamp. And a whole lot more. It's a great program.

http://www.javawa.nl/jdm_en.html

Just realized you meant that BC didn't see the maps installed on your computer. The advice I gave was with regard to having BaseCamp see the maps on the gps, even if they are not installed on the computer.

Might be useful to you someday, anyway.
evidently this device manager only works with the newer gps not 60csx
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:33 AM   #21
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMLWR View Post
evidently this device manager only works with the newer gps not 60csx
From the JDM page:

"Some older devices such as the GPSMAP 60/76 C(S)x and the eTrex Legend/Vista also have a USB mass storage mode, but with these devices it cannot be determined what type it is. Such a device (or rather the SD card in it) is treated like a SD card in a card reader: as a generic device where no checks are performed on what file types it supports, and no check whether a backup that you want restore to it, belongs to it.
This means that JaVaWa Device Manager enables you for example to put GPX files on the SD card, while the unit doesn't support that. When restoring a backup you should take extra care not to restore the wrong backup."

So in fact JDM can work with the 60/76 series, or a micro SD card which can be used in the 60/76

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 09-13-2012 at 09:00 PM
Old 09-13-2012, 09:20 AM   #22
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
I agree, no harm. Can you think of anything about Basecamp to recommend it, or some feature that is really nice that MapSource doesn't have? (serious question, I have no idea)
IMHO the nicest feature that BaseCamp has that Mapsource doesn't is that it shows minor roads out to much greater zoom levels than Mapsource. This makes trip planning a lot easier.

Another is that it supports custom map image overlays. These are hard to create because you either have to scan a paper map or grab a screen image and then georeference it in Google Earth. But there are image maps that show things that do not appear on Garmin's digital maps.

I use this feature to determine land ownership from Benchmark and BLM maps. I also use it to overlay Travel Management MVUM maps. I have found some forest service maps that show trails that do not show up on any digital map.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:22 AM   #23
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,469
I set my 60csx in mass storage mode and was able to read the .img file in basecamp via the J manager program. It came in named like another mapset so you have two maps listed with the same name. It combined all the mapsets on the gps which include Topo Ca., several free topos for Maine/NE area and CN2010v4. Runs slow but it is there...not first choice of operation but good to know it will work....
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #24
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
I set my 60csx in mass storage mode and was able to read the .img file in basecamp via the J manager program. It came in named like another mapset so you have two maps listed with the same name. It combined all the mapsets on the gps which include Topo Ca., several free topos for Maine/NE area and CN2010v4. Runs slow but it is there...not first choice of operation but good to know it will work....
The USB connection on the 60 is very slow. Almost serial like but not quite.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #25
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,045
Quote:
USB1 = uberslow!

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote