Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #61
poolman OP
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Oddometer: 718
Quote:
Originally Posted by riderddonald View Post
poolman, I finally got caught up enough to read your ride report at lunch today. Wish I was still there. Sounds like you enjoyed the roads on the Nicoya Peninsila as much as we did. I could have spent a couple extra days exploring that area. Also looks like there could be some nice roads around Monteverde if you could catch the weather right. Kind of iffy in the cloud forest. Enjoyed your RR.
riderdonald,

I enjoyed your ride report, great job keeping the bike upright while riding two-up on an F800GS through the Costa Rican countryside! I hope you two enjoyed your resort time and the end of the trip.

When I stopped in Monte Verde I was told it would probably not be possible to complete the remainder of the circumnavigation around Lake Arenal due to deep water crossings. I tried anyway, and the deepest river crossing was only about 18" deep. The sandy river crossings on the Nicoya Penninsula were far more challenging.

It is amazing to be able to ride through cloud forest, desert, and beach all in one day; Costa Rica has it all.

Thanks,

Sacred Valley of the Incas
Costa Rica Solo
poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #62
poolman OP
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
Pat, I almost feel like I am beginning to chase you! My wife purchased tickets to Honduras for me, but due to the lack of reliable motorcycle rental, and pretty heavy violent crime, I've decided to transfer them elsewhere. I almost choose Costa Rica, but have decided to go to NYC with her for a week instead.

What's on the plate for next year??? Hope it's good, I have a feeling I may there the year after you! haha
Hi Matt,

There is a theme developing here... I just celebrated my wife's birthday by taking a family vacation in NYC!!!

It is certainly disappointing to have to cancel Honduras, but rewarding the girl who gives motorcycle adventures as gifts is the right thing to do.

I am planning a trip for the March/April time frame, but still haven't decided on a definite location.

Take Care,

Costa Rica Solo
Old 12-11-2012, 02:11 PM   #63
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,076
Too funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolman View Post
It is certainly disappointing to have to cancel Honduras, but rewarding the girl who gives motorcycle adventures as gifts is the right thing to do.
There were plenty of other, safer, places I could have made work, but I think taking her to NYC (I've been wanting to go myself) and then Vancouver in June (free flight from work!) will hopefully buy me some time to take a week or two trip in the Fall. I'm thinking Arkansas/Texas maybe.

Keep us updated, really interested to see where you go in the Spring!
Old 01-31-2013, 02:42 PM   #64
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,327
Thank you for writing this in such a fun, entertaining way - including judicious terriffic photos - and for including sufficient detail such that one could duplicate all or part of this adventure!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #65
DaveCraige
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Poolman,

This is really good stuff. Thanks for the great pics and info!

(You are making me consider buying one of those nice Giant Loop Coyote bags too btw, seems really simple and effective)
DaveCraige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:55 AM   #66
poolman OP
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCraige View Post
Poolman,

This is really good stuff. Thanks for the great pics and info!

(You are making me consider buying one of those nice Giant Loop Coyote bags too btw, seems really simple and effective)
DaveCraige,

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed the ride report.

I've been very pleased with the Giant Loop Coyote bag and recommend it without hesitation. It served me well during my 2011 trip in Peru, my 2012 trip in Costa Rica, and I am now packing it up for a trip to Ecuador!

Safe Travels,

Costa Rica Solo
Old 07-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #67
Kamala
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,530
Great RR and your photo skills are fabulous. Dirtgrlll and I were recently in CR and it looks like we traveled similar routes and stayed in almost adjacent lodging. The Lost Iguana in Arenal and the Tango Mar in Tambor. Your pics brought back so many great memories that are still fresh in my mind. We share your opinion on the country of CR and the people, beautiful, friendly and more than welcoming. There will be a repeat trip in our future! Thanks for taking us along on your journey!

(ps. I had to laugh when I saw the pic of the giant Iguana statue in Montezuma. It brought back the vivid image of a kid who couldn't of been more than 13 walking by that statue smoking a spliff that was about the size of an Ice Cream cone. I remember thinking "Ahh, this must be the town of MonteFuma that Eduardo told us about!" )
Old 07-10-2013, 07:39 AM   #68
poolman OP
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamala View Post
Great RR and your photo skills are fabulous. Dirtgrlll and I were recently in CR and it looks like we traveled similar routes and stayed in almost adjacent lodging. The Lost Iguana in Arenal and the Tango Mar in Tambor. Your pics brought back so many great memories that are still fresh in my mind. We share your opinion on the country of CR and the people, beautiful, friendly and more than welcoming. There will be a repeat trip in our future! Thanks for taking us along on your journey!

(ps. "Ahh, this must be the town of MonteFuma that Eduardo told us about!" )

Kamala,

Thank you for the kind words, especially regarding the photography. I used an inexpensive point & shoot along with a GoPro helmet camera in still mode.

I'm glad you and Dirtgrll had the opportunity to experience Costa Rica and enjoy a lot of the same scenery. I posted this ride report more than a year ago, and it is awesome to know you were able to find it and trigger some fond memories. It is great when a ride report takes you back through familiar territory.

You are right on about MonteFuma. The locals make Jamaicans look like lightweights.

All the Best,

Costa Rica Solo
Old 10-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #69
Irx
n00b

Oddometer: 2
That was pretty awesome to overcome all the shit that came your way. You are a true adventurer that is pretty much ready for most anything. I may have missed this, but what kind of level of rider are you and how long have you been riding. How is your Spanish?? Great photos with good commentary. Thanks
Irx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #70
poolman OP
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irx View Post
That was pretty awesome to overcome all the shit that came your way. You are a true adventurer that is pretty much ready for most anything. I may have missed this, but what kind of level of rider are you and how long have you been riding. How is your Spanish?? Great photos with good commentary. Thanks
Hi Irx,

Glad you found my ride report to be worthy of you 2nd post on Adv! Issues are bound to happen on these trips, and overcoming them becomes part of the overall journey.

As far as riding level, I'm in my 50s and would not consider myself to be a talented rider. I spent some time on dirt bikes up through my teen years, then gave up riding until my kids began became interested. That is when I got my first DS bike, and I've been smiling ever since.

The previous year, my friend rode with me through the Sacred Valley of Peru to Machu Picchu (see link in my signature line). He had almost no off-pavement experience before the trip, and ten days later he was a proficient dirt rider!

My Spanish skills are pretty basic, and I wish I could converse fluently with the amazing people I meet on these trips. However, in Costa Rica it is really not an issue; there are English speakers nearly everywhere.

All the Best,

Costa Rica Solo
Old 02-22-2014, 05:08 PM   #71
Stovebolt
Team Ruptured Buzzard

Oddometer: 462
Hi Poolman,

I found this RR late in the game, but it made for a great read, thanks!

Your rental adventure experience came off really well from this report and it creates much attraction for a person to want to go there and grab at it. I spent nine days in Samara with my wife in the "Green Season" in 2011 - no bikes. We were there to celebrate our 25th Anniversary and I was only a couple months out from a wrist reconstruction, so it was land in Alajuela and drive right to the beach and stay for us.

We stayed at Las Brisas but went by the Flying Crocodile to check it out. Your pics of the crocodillos, leezards and monos congos are awesome! We recognized so much from your RR pics - I had to drag the wife to my computer this afternoon to see them all! We swam the length of Samara Bay several times and out and back to Isla Chora as well. It was tropical paradise for us, for sure. Especially since the reef sharks and croco's gave us a big break (during river mouth croc migration season no less) and the rip tides gave us a pass.

The best pizza on planet earth in Samara, like you mentioned.... who would guess?!

Thanks for the great RR!

You are an excellent photographer and ride chronicler...

... I am subscribing to your pen here!

All the best,

Stovey
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/david-jankowsky/86/31/b04
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:17 AM   #72
poolman OP
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stovebolt View Post
Hi Poolman,

I found this RR late in the game, but it made for a great read, thanks!

Your rental adventure experience came off really well from this report and it creates much attraction for a person to want to go there and grab at it. I spent nine days in Samara with my wife in the "Green Season" in 2011 - no bikes. We were there to celebrate our 25th Anniversary and I was only a couple months out from a wrist reconstruction, so it was land in Alajuela and drive right to the beach and stay for us.

We stayed at Las Brisas but went by the Flying Crocodile to check it out. Your pics of the crocodillos, leezards and monos congos are awesome! We recognized so much from your RR pics - I had to drag the wife to my computer this afternoon to see them all! We swam the length of Samara Bay several times and out and back to Isla Chora as well. It was tropical paradise for us, for sure. Especially since the reef sharks and croco's gave us a big break (during river mouth croc migration season no less) and the rip tides gave us a pass.

The best pizza on planet earth in Samara, like you mentioned.... who would guess?!

Thanks for the great RR!

You are an excellent photographer and ride chronicler...

... I am subscribing to your pen here!

All the best,

Stovey
Stovey,

I really appreciate the kind remarks, as well as for giving me a reason to go through this old ride report and recall some very fond memories. I would love to spend a week in Costa Rica with my wife, and it sounds like you had an awesome 25th Anniversary at Hotel Las Brisas del Pacifico!

I'm glad the sharks, crocs, and rip currents gave you a break... There is certainly a lot going on in the Costa Rican waters!

Hopefully you will return to Costa Rica next time for a bike trip. For such a small country, Costa Rica has so much to offer!

All The Best,

Costa Rica Solo
Old 02-25-2014, 03:14 PM   #73
Stovebolt
Team Ruptured Buzzard

Oddometer: 462
Roger that, Poolman!

Sun, sand, surf and Pina Colada's... and the wildlife. It's got it all.

Drag your wife down there and enjoy it. I think it's a great place for a private wind-down with your spouse. (Well, with MY spouse. I don't even KNOW your spouse, and somehow, that just wouldn't seem right...)

Your trip report is excellent and really shows what a guy can do with some courage and colones. You really brought it. Nice job, Good Sir!

Rally on,

Stovey
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/david-jankowsky/86/31/b04
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:38 PM   #74
themadone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Laugh Huh?

New York City?
themadone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:01 PM   #75