Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro0125 View Post
For Drif10.
Nice stuff on Bam Bam.

http://youtu.be/y8wRY1yVybQ
Kinda looks like barcia started it by running him up in the third? corner, so stewart returned the favor.

Biggest thing though was at how clear it was the rv got away with that pass under the flags.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #1817
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,289
Daytona at least for the last few years has a straight that paralells the seating area and they run a moving UV down along side the bikes with a camera and it's always wicked cool. one year it was a nice whoop section and you were like right there going alongside seeing these guys banging through the whoops. last year I think it was a couple of seriously big jumps.

the season is definitely in part 2 now. looks like Tomac hasn't had quite the easy move to the 450's that Barcia had, I expected more but 2 races is n't exactly a fair barometer. he'll probably win Daytona...I don't think Florida has been overly warm in recent days it could be a chilly affair for the spectators even if it s dry.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:09 PM   #1818
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,277
Roczen is supposed to run a 350 KTM at Daytona. That will be sweet.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #1819
SigPig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
I think Roczen will place better than Tomac. KRoc may even break into the top 5.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #1820
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
Biggest thing though was at how clear it was the rv got away with that pass under the flags.
Couple of thoughts...

I haven't really thought about it until now but this video caught my attention. From about 4:20, you can clearly see the red lights and RV ahead of JS. JS passes RV after the red lights. My understanding is that red lights = no passing. Can anyone confirm?

When RV passes JS, there is a standing red cross flag and then two waving yellows. RV does not pass JS until after the first waving yellow - that appears quite clear to me. My understanding that passing is now OK under a waving yellow?

So the question is, does the red cross flag "end" at the waving yellow - in other words, does the flag where a rider is NOW trump the flag where he was a second ago?

One could argue that it's easy for JS to miss the red lights at first in the heat of battle. I don't disagree. I've read that RV had "begun the pass" before the waving yellow - I don't see where that's a problem as long as the pass didn't take place prior to the waving yellow. To me, it's really about what the rules say about the red cross and yellow flags in close proximity.

Unless there is clear-cut language in the rulebook, I don't see any other option than doing nothing about RVs pass. If red lights = no passing in a corner, isn't JS' pass pretty clearly no good?

I say let it go. I imagine that JS knows that RV had him covered that night and will come out swinging at the next round.

As an aside, I've never been a big JS fan, but I'm really impressed with him seemingly riding within his limits this season. IMO, if he'd have figured that out years ago he'd have a pile of championships.
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:52 PM   #1821
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,640
>"I say let it go."

Yup. Racing... unless...

1) Have the bikes pit at least once in the race, to take on more fuel and new tires. Yellow flag lets people pit to avoid losing laps.

2) 5 or so people per pit, and the pit crew wears air tanks on their backs.

3) Fuel is delivered from steel 1 cup containers.

4) Rider has to run to the end of the pits and enter the porta-cans. Only 3 port-a-cans will be provided. Doors lock for 30 seconds each. Flames will spew from the port-a-cans when the door unlocks.

Total Nascarization.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:57 PM   #1822
NorthCoastRider
Livin' the dream

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Marvin Musquin placed 4th on the 350 in Daytona last year.

True, but its more the rider than the bike in a mud race.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:49 AM   #1823
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCoastRider View Post
So what are yo saying? Where do you guys come up with this stuff? Tell Barcia that (about the mud) when he slid out coming into a jump series on a slick track and banged his face on the bars. No mud. Tell RV that after he fell in about 5 out of six races early in the season. No mud. Wind am didn't retire because he was afraid of mud.

You do realize that Musquin is a MX champion, right!? And you do realize that their tracks are MUCH sandier than an average SX track
Roczen absolutely rocks iin the sand as well. He will be a force at Daytona. The fact that he is on the 350 ( which is much improved from the 350 that Short and Alessi rode just makes it all the more interesting.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:58 AM   #1824
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 12,715
Shouldn't be allowed.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:34 AM   #1825
ct-ktm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigPig View Post
Marvin Musquin placed 4th on the 350 in Daytona last year.
No kidding..?.. I didn't remember that..
ct-ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:35 AM   #1826
ct-ktm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCoastRider View Post
When isn't it the rider over the bike..?????
Never...
ct-ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:49 AM   #1827
pvangel
Team AARP

Oddometer: 2,170

Bubba got passed under the red, clear as day...
pvangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:00 AM   #1828
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 12,715
Doesn't Villocheater wear a GoPro?
Old 03-06-2013, 06:36 AM   #1829
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvangel View Post

Bubba got passed under the red, clear as day...
Screen shot from 4:21. Tell me what you see. I see red lights and RV ahead of JS. JS goes on to pass in that corner, under red.

Next screen shot at 4:30. JS is past the first waving yellow and still ahead of RV. IF (big if) the waving yellow ends the red cross period, then I see an allowable pass. If the waving yellow does not end the red cross period, what does? I haven't dug into the rules, but I'm picking up from reading posts that it isn't clear.

Should RV have waited until after passing the downed rider? Should the red cross flag have been put away given that the rider was already up and sitting on the bike?

What I don't get is that RV seemed to have JS pretty well covered. You'd think that after his lucky break earlier (the 3 position penalty at the red flag vs. at the end of the race), he'd have played that section cautiously and made the pass later.

Looks to me like RVs pass just put them back to where they would have been had JS not passed under red. Seems to me that if you're going to hand out penalties, you hand one to both JS and RV.

Again, I say let 'em go. The racing was good and that's what we want to see.
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:06 AM   #1830
SigPig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
I think the bigger issue is the penalty that was assessed at the restart. According to the rule book it should have been assessed after the race on his finishing position. Sliding him 3 spots back with 17 laps to go is not a penalty at all. It's a guaranteed clean 6th place start with plenty of time to pass the field.

Someone mentioned it earlier. Monster Energy Supercross, Monster Energy Kawasaki. Nuff said.

Bring on Daytona!