Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2012, 06:22 AM   #16
Unleaded
Unit Train

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
All that sculpted bodywork and high finish quality on the frame, yet they can't figure out how to either make the subframe out of something more than bar stock, or at least cover the damn thing up. That's the only negative to the side view of the bike.

You know, funny you should say that. I always thought the same thing, and I owned both a K1200S and a K1300S. Still miss the 13...most fun bike I've ever owned.

Load enough crap on it, and the subframe support kinda disappears:
Old 10-27-2012, 08:46 AM   #17
Speed King
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Oh man.....I'd love to have one of those. Graphite.
Speed King is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:52 AM   #18
optimum_malarky
Premium nonsense

Oddometer: 371
Always have my eye out for a k1300s... it seems like the perfect long-range cruise missile. One of my dreams has been to take a summer off to just ride the country. This might be a good bike for doing something like that...

Past:
2003 Suzuki SV1000 N,
2003 R1150 GS,2004 Triumph Speed Triple (wrecked), 2001 Triumph Sprint ST, 2003 Suzuki SV650, 1984 R80 ST , 1973 CB750
optimum_malarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:24 PM   #19
XRx
Broken Filter

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddingGeezer View Post
Is a great lookin bike. Why do people want a bike that's the same color as the road?? I painted a BMW that color once, but WHITE would be a knock out on that bike IMO. And easier to see.
Your wish is my riding pleasure :-)

Old 12-23-2012, 09:32 PM   #20
XRx
Broken Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contevita View Post
That's what I thought too, then I saw the shaft drive on the BMW. I'm gonna go out an hug my Blackbird.
Sounds like you guys are saying that the K13S doesn't look any better than a blackbird 'cuz the bird looks awesome, okay, so they both look killer, that's not a bad on the beemer. Plus the bike performs like a mofo. Best I've dared to do on mine, if you dare at 90mph drop it down to second gear and crank it, that bike will stand right up. I don't dare try it in third at the same rpm yet. I've put about 14k on my K13. Currently shopping for a hypermotard for the collection, but the K13S will still be the primary bike, for one reason, it's a road killer, and it looks super awesome. Okay that's two reasons :-)

Oh, also, I bought it BECAUSE it has shaft drive. I just fell for the idea of never having to worry about chain lube and adjustment every ride.

XRx screwed with this post 12-23-2012 at 09:51 PM
XRx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:47 PM   #21
XRx
Broken Filter

Quote:
All that sculpted bodywork and high finish quality on the frame, yet they can't figure out how to either make the subframe out of something more than bar stock, or at least cover the damn thing up. That's the only negative to the side view of the bike.
More than bar stock? Okay people, look at the pics. BTW, I do mechanical design in aerospace. The passenger peg brackets are obviously cast, in the smart triangulated geometry. There is also a straightish segment on each side supporting the tail section. To call the obviously at least partially cast subframe bar stock is just plain dishonest unless just blind ignorant nonsense. I think part of it may be square tubing, which, what's wrong with welded tubing?

XRx screwed with this post 12-24-2012 at 11:13 AM
XRx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:19 PM   #22
BigIron
Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer: 765
Quote:
That's the only negative to the side view of the bike.
That and the beak with the overbite. And the sculpted bodywork in the front 3/4 view.
BigIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:56 PM   #23
Unleaded
Unit Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRx View Post
More than bar stock? Okay people, look at the pics. BTW, I do mechanical design in aerospace. The passenger peg brackets are obviously cast, in the smart triangulated geometry. There is also a straightish segment on each side supporting the tail section. To call the obviously at least partially cast subframe bar stock is just plain dishonest unless just blind ignorant nonsense. I think part of it may be square tubing, which, what's wrong with welded tubing?
Except that the piece in question is bar stock. At least it was on both the K1200S and K1300S I've owned.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:21 AM   #24
Cos
Re-Greekified

Oddometer: 10,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleaded View Post
Except that the piece in question is bar stock. At least it was on both the K1200S and K1300S I've owned.
"Real world" wise, how do these handle in the twistier bits? An 06 K1200S popped up locally for a good price and i'm contemplating it.
Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:36 AM   #25
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos View Post
"Real world" wise, how do these handle in the twistier bits? An 06 K1200S popped up locally for a good price and i'm contemplating it.
In my humblest of opinions, the k12 series is not worth the quirks compared to a properly suspended gen1 hayabusa (or blackbird) which sell usually for half the price. The K13 is a different story.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:51 AM   #26
Unleaded
Unit Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos View Post
The long wheelbase, relaxed steering rake and a steering damper all combine to ensure they aren't as quick to turn in as a true sport bike (or even, say, a Triumph Sprint, for instance). Below 10 mph, you'll swear you have a flat front tire. But it isn't as slow to turn in practice as I'm making it sound in print. I did several long trips through the Rocky Mountains on each of mine, and they can rip through even the really twisty stuff. The weight is only noticed through really tight, technical turns. It lives in the sweepers....I have never ridden a bike as stable at speed or through more realistically-sweeping twisties. '06 has servo brakes, and the K12 has some complaints about the cam chain jumping (there's a $35 guard available), and steering head bearings that often don't make it past 30,000 miles. Gearbox is clunky on both - even slightly moreso on the 1200. None of those scare me, and I never had a single maintenance concern with either of mine. It eats rear tires. It's a truly wonderful bike. There are actually a few things I liked better about the 1200...the styling is one. And the 1200 is just a bit more rough - a less-refined machine. Not in a bad way- it actually seemed even faster than the 13.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:58 AM   #27
Unleaded
Unit Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
In my humblest of opinions, the k12 series is not worth the quirks compared to a properly suspended gen1 hayabusa (or blackbird) which sell usually for half the price. The K13 is a different story.
While both the XX and the Busa are fine bikes ( I've ridden both but never owned either), I found the K1200S to be one of the finest bikes I've ever ridden, with the K13 incrementally improved in subtle ways). And low-mileage K12's can be had in the mid $6k US range now. Heckuva bargain, IMO.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:13 AM   #28
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
I'm one who also feels the K1300R is a piece of rolling sculpture. Less conventional, of course, but IMHO, very beautiful. Can't get them in the USA, of course. But from my K1200R can tell you with the more conventional seating position and "peppier" rear end ration, the K1200R (and I assume the K1300R) are more around town friendly without giving up much for those long hauls.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:17 AM   #29
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woland View Post
It's pretty, but I've seen better ;)

Yep. Lots of very good looking sport touring bikes -- problem is that most of them aren't made anymore. Like the older VFRs, Duc STs and the CBRXX. My personal favorite is the Aprilia Futura -- gorgeous machine.

Sport touring bikes tend to be the best looking bikes of all, IMHO.

This BMW is indeed a nice looking machine though! The "fork" lowers seem visually too thin to me though -- I feel like they need some added visual mass to look better. I'm guessing this bike is a paralever front end?

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:26 AM   #30
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Duolever. Paralever is the rear.