Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 05:12 PM   #16
DirtyOldMan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,889
Out here in rural MO., most folks will slow way down and get way over when you meet them on a gravel road.
On my last couple of Colorado trips, I've noticed a good many folks going out of my way to let me by, pavement and gravel. I always pass them at a sensible speed and give a big wave.

I've noticed that the most courtesy is extended when riding alone.

13 650 Terra

96 R1100R
DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #17
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 933
Cars pulling over on twisties to let me pass.

I am not used to this, and on my recent ride in Northern Vermont a huge amount of people did this!

Also, cars not running over or into me.
Haven't even had a close call in a long time (I'm rich: I pay a lot of attention) but I still appreciate it.
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #18
NHBill
Loosely Wrapped

Oddometer: 1,428
On my way home the other night and I turn off on to one of my "Long-cuts" (as my wife calls them) . It's a nice ride, not particularly fast but with some nice twisties. Just a fun, relaxing ride home at the end of the day. So, anyway, about a mile along, I catch up to a driver education car . I just hang back, figure that I'll just cruise along, not be an azz, and hopefully leave them with some confidence and the idea that bikers are not bad people. Go another couple miles and as we approach the twisties, I hang back a little further so that they don't think that I'm getting ready to drop it down a couple and smoke them (now I'm kinda wishing that I had passed when I had the chance) and the car pulls over! Thought that they might be pulling over to switch drivers, but no, as I check my rear view, they pull back out and continue on behind me . Seems that the instructor knew what he was doing too.
"There's a very fine line dividing bravery from stupidity..."
2009 F650GS
NHBill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:19 PM   #19
tvpierce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by keswind View Post
I always appreciate the few cars (and most big trucks) that move over as far to the shoulder as they can in the oncoming lane so as to give me more room (even though I have plenty in my lane?)
Is this on a two-lane paved road?

"But I had the right of way!" makes a pretty crappy epitaph.
tvpierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #20
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Cagers consistently pull over in the twisties up here if they are locals.

Always get a wave and a thumbs up as I go by.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:49 PM   #21
BladeRun
Daywalker finally!

Oddometer: 54
This past July I had ridden down to NC/TN and was riding US 129, aka the Dragon, for the first time. It was just after a heavy downpour so I was taking it extra easy. There was a large SUV driving 1 or 2 curves ahead of me. I had spoken briefly with the driver at Deal's Gap resort. Well all of a sudden as I'm approaching a curve, I see the SUV stop and put his hazards on. A tree had been knocked down and was completely blocking my lane, on a blind curve. Not sure what the outcome would have been if he hadn't stopped and alerted me, as I wasn't traveling all that fast, but I'm sure it would have been hairy.
IBA #15728
04 HD Ultra
BladeRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:45 AM   #22
tvpierce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by keswind View Post
Yep!

Interesting. Are you sure they're being courteous, and not just giving you a wide berth because they're uneasy about your approach?

"But I had the right of way!" makes a pretty crappy epitaph.
tvpierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:09 AM   #23
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,071
The most recent one for me was on the Shenandoah 500 dual sport ride. I was way behind because of two flats and just ahead of the sweep crew. So I had been riding flat out alone most of the morning. When I hit asphalt I wasn't exactly adhering to the posted speed limit and blew past my turn.

A pickup had been following me pretty closely on that stretch of road and pulled off behind me when I stopped to look at my roll chart. I figured a local was going to give me a hard time for speeding. Instead a little old lady got out walked up to me and asked if I was lost or having a problem.

I couldn't believe that woman had been driving so fast on those curvy roads in a rat pickup. I told her was on a ride and missed my turn. She said that is what she figured and told me how to get to the school for lunch. I told her I was going to stick to the route and she pointed out the dirt road all the motorcycles went down.

Still one of the best and most unexpected encounters of my riding life.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:00 AM   #24
sk8rdi16
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Few weeks ago I was filling up and as I was leaving the gas station an old guy (really old!) sitting in the passenger seat of a small SUV was waving and pointing. I thought he must have been a motorcycle guy and waved back, but he continued pointing so I turned around. I'll be damned, left my side case open when getting my wallet out! Gave him a wave and a thumbs up.
+1 for the old guy.

Although, that didn't help me the next time I left it open, doh!
Old 09-14-2012, 07:02 AM   #25
the_sandman_454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
I've had a few folks in cages stop and ask if I needed help at times when I've parked somewhere off the road to have a stretch or grab a photo with a sign or something. Most of them seemed to be motorcyclists themselves though, but very cool knowing there are helpful people out there.
the_sandman_454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:45 AM   #26
Les Peterson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
A couple of years ago I was on my way home from a all day ride and stopped under a overpass to cool off in the shade, drink some water and check in at home. A Oregon state trooper stops to check if I'm ok then stays and chats a bit. Around here if you're not on a sport bike most of the cops are cool to deal with and even friendly.
Les Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:04 AM   #27
HairBear
I'm a Grandpa

Oddometer: 753
Had a flat on a two lane highway. Had several people stop to check, & the 1st lady that stopped was really hesitant to leave. She was going to stay with her flashers on. We did figure out later that some may have thought someone was injured since I have no center stand & we laid the bike on the hill to take the wheel off.
Unfortunately, nobody bothered to point out I was at a diesel pump when I filled up a little later
Old 09-14-2012, 08:11 AM   #28
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,676
I have had a few cages pull over to let me by on some nice country roads.....

Recently on a few group rides cages have stopped to let the group out of a gas station or intersection so we can stay together. I think the recent accident where two bikers were killed on a memorial ride has gotten the attention of drivers around here....it almost seems they are being overly courteous to groups of motorcycles....probably won't last.

Offcamber screwed with this post 09-18-2012 at 06:18 AM
Offcamber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:16 AM   #29
Hamon
I just like riding

Oddometer: 289
I was driving home on a cold dark night a couple years ago when a fuse blew on my KLR, causing my taillight to go out. A family in a minivan came up beside me on the freeway, signalled that my light was out, then ducked in behind me to run a rear block for the 50-ish kilometres I had left to get home.

Although the air was crisp, I was genuinely warmed knowing that pesky tailgating cager literally had my back.

Travis
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=762691 <- 3 months of moto fantasticity
Hamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:49 AM   #30
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,498
I once had a guy road raging all over me in traffic, trying to run me off the road, tailgating etc. A guy in a bigger truck pulled up next to me and signaled for me to pin it.

I did so, and as soon as there was half a truck length between me and the asshole in the smaller truck, the guy in the F350 put him all the way into the ditch. Perfect. That was by far the best thing a cager has ever done for me.

Down south i've had plenty of cars pull over to let me pass on twistys. North east ohio.... Not a ice cubes chance in hell of that ever happening. They block passes around here.
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote