Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 06:58 AM   #61
Guano11
Half Decaf

Oddometer: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by skag View Post
... says a while back he "went down on his scoot" was on the side of the road all fucked up and the only one to stop was towing "one of them little boats". The guy got his bike up and running, straightened some stuff, got him bandaged and on his way. He says "so I tells myself, them guys with them little boats,man they're OK"
^^Cool story^^

My daily commute involves merging LEFT onto a busy interstate, then crossing 4 lanes of fast-moving traffic (destination: HOV lane). To add to the drama, many cagers on said interstate are merging RIGHT for the next off-ramp which is less than 1/4 mile away. This maneuver is taking place in a short freeway section where vehicles are crossing paths with a significant speed differential -- those speeding up to get into the traffic flow (like me), versus those slowing down to take the busy (and usually backed up) off-ramp. Twice a day, 5 days a week, and the most treacherous portion of the commute.

I always appreciate the cagers who let me slide through their lanes as I work my way to HOV freedom. I give a wave when I can -- but it's usually both hands on the bars!
Guano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:28 PM   #62
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by car94 View Post
Can I just Copy and Paste from the other thread with the same theme?
Old 10-15-2012, 11:05 AM   #63
rgoers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
When riding in the mountain twisties on my KLX250 dual sport, I have pulled over (while still rolling) and waved fellow adventure riders to pass me. I know they want to have fun on their big engine bikes, and I'd just be slowing them down on my little dirt rider.

What surprised me was; even though I don't sport the huge panniers (I do have Wolfman soft bags on mine so I still "look" somewhat like an adventure rider) I never got a thank-you wave from either of them. Just seemed a little odd to me, but as soon as I found the next dirt trail to ride, it didn't seem to bother me very much anymore...
Old 10-15-2012, 07:16 PM   #64
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgoers View Post
When riding in the mountain twisties on my KLX250 dual sport, I have pulled over (while still rolling) and waved fellow adventure riders to pass me. I know they want to have fun on their big engine bikes, and I'd just be slowing them down on my little dirt rider.

What surprised me was; even though I don't sport the huge panniers (I do have Wolfman soft bags on mine so I still "look" somewhat like an adventure rider) I never got a thank-you wave from either of them. Just seemed a little odd to me, but as soon as I found the next dirt trail to ride, it didn't seem to bother me very much anymore...
Dafuq does this have to do with "cagers doing nice things for bikers?"

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:40 AM   #65
Ianstein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Riding across the country was interesting. Most drivers east of the Mississippi River were assholes or at the very least paid no attention on the road. However, once I got west and especially in rural areas, I was amazed at how traffic switched lanes or sped up when they saw me coming. It's like their whole mindset for driving was to not be an inconvience to anyone else on the road.

Rural Texas has the nicest drivers. Everyone waves to each other. Ocassionally I'd pull over to take pictures or check my phone and someone would always pull over to check on me. Kind of reassuring knowing if I went down or something bad did happen 99% chance someone would have stopped to help.

California sucked....those cagers are assholes.

Chicago To Los Angles For My First Road Trip
Ianstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:24 AM   #66
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianstein View Post
It's like their whole mindset for driving was to not be an inconvience to anyone else on the road.

This ^^^^ is how I ride 100% of the time.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #67
coppertop
occasional meanderthal

Oddometer: 237
here's mine:

Out on a Saturday afternoon doing a shake-down cruise after a protracted bit of repair and customizing, I decide it is time to head back to the house and hop on the freeway to speed the process. As soon as I get up to speed, the engine loses power. I pull off the road, slowing, trying a few different things to troubleshoot the problem before I come to a complete stop. The sun is brutal, and the only shade is from a light pole that happened to be there. Tank has fuel, bike won't restart. I'm 20 miles from home, there is an exit about a quarter of a mile away, uphill. Screw that; I don't need to give myself heat-stroke. I call my wife to bring the truck and ramp and stand leaning against the light pole so my head at least has some shade. There is plenty of traffic, none of it stopping. About 20 minutes into the wait, a guy pulls up behind me, gets out of his car and asks if I need any help. I thank him for stopping and tell him I've got someone coming, and they should be here before long. He says something like "Well, I've got to do something nice for you... " reaches into his car and hands me a liter-size bottle of cold water. I thank him for the water, he gets back in his car and drives off.

Not earth-shaking, I know, but he was the only one who stopped. My wife arrived about 20 minutes after he left, just as I was finishing off the water.
coppertop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:47 AM   #68
Ironfish653
Combat Commuter

Oddometer: 59
Three weeks in to my riding career, and 3 days in to my new Wee, I had a lady in a Lexus SUV make a right turn from the left lane, right 'across my bow.'
Being the rank noob I was, I braked too hard, stalled, and promptly threw myself and my 3-day old bike on the ground. Broken turn signal was the extent of the damage, but the first drop always shakes you up.
Guy in a cable co. truck blocked the right two lanes, strobe lights and all, helped my get the bike back up, and stayed till I was ready to roll again. (Stupid tip-over-switch!)
Old 10-25-2012, 10:05 AM   #69
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJake View Post
Every time I browse past and see that caption it pisses me off.
"Driver of the car shaken up but no serious injuries". Oh, good- the guy that almost killed a motorcyclist is going to be OK. Going forward, the nicest thing that guy could do to help a motorcyclist is take a bus.

Thankfully there were a dozen other people around to actually help the rider.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:07 PM   #70
alii1959
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 497
The other morning, on my normal commute, I had a bit of rain. As I approach a red light down hill I touched the rear brake to slow a bit, bike went squirrelly, touched the front brake even squirrellier, back to rear brake again fish-tailing. Light is red (on my side) now. I can't stop at all feels like all it wants to do is lock and fish-tail. I think I am gonna lose it. I had noticed a car sitting at the light waiting for green on the cross street, as my attempt to stop got stupider and stupider I was wondering what I was gonna have to do to miss it. But, the car didn't move. Sat there patiently as I wobbled my way through the light and continued down the street. Never got a chance to thank them, but this could have really been ugly. I have no idea what caused the problem, it had been raining all night nearly so the oil on the road should have been gone. Gave me the heebie geebies for a few days. But, thank Dog that car didn't move or someone else would probably be typing this.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:09 PM   #71
Stromski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Entering the GW Parkway from Spout Run in Arlington, VA is usually easy.

The problem comes with heavy traffic when everyone hits the brakes for the curve at the bottom of the hill. The traffic column compresses and any gap disappears. Throw a few tourists in the mix who think the "right lane ends" sign is referring to some other lane and things get dicey.

A guy in a sedan saw that I had no place to go and braked hard. He voluntarily increased his risk of collision to give me a margin of safety.

I will always be grateful for that.

Daffy Duck
Stromski is offline   Reply With Quote