User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 05:34 PM   #1
Noreaster OP
Fat and Cuddly again

Oddometer: 1,362
Yamaha "Star" bikes.

I just bought a 2005 V-Star 1100 that the neighbor had in the driveway. After hating on Harleys for years (and hating the two Harleys that I had (each briefly) in the past) I can't tell you all how impressed I am with this bike. It's got plenty of power and seems to rev out better than the H.D. although those memories are 7-8 years fuzzy at this point. It sure handles better than the H.D. did. I have been "trying" to grind things lately and, while no sport bike, I have et to get this thing over far enough to get that satisfying gggrrrrgggg noise that came on every turn on the Dyna "Sport". 45 MPG. All day comfortable. I like this bike.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...9&l=a7c8d549f3

" I hate to burst bubbles, but the Last Frontier is paved..." JRMosley
'The typical DS rider buys a bike and leaves it in a shed for 4 years before listing in on craigslist with 600 miles and "ran when parked".' Navin
Noreaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:42 PM   #2
Snapping Twig
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
My friend just bought one in great shape and is real happy with it.

I had a Virago 700 for a time and it was a stone ax.

Yamaha builds 'em right.
Snapping Twig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:00 PM   #3
Noreaster OP
Fat and Cuddly again

Oddometer: 1,362
Rode it. Ate a burrito. Rode it some more.
"I am riding a cruiser, I am riding a cruiser, I am riding a cruiser, I am riding a cruiser, I am riding a cruiser, I am riding a cruiser…

SSSCCRRAAAAPPPPEEEEEE: gggrrrriiinnndddd

I am riding a cruiser, I am riding a cruiser, I am riding a cruiser, I am riding a cruiser, …..

" I hate to burst bubbles, but the Last Frontier is paved..." JRMosley
'The typical DS rider buys a bike and leaves it in a shed for 4 years before listing in on craigslist with 600 miles and "ran when parked".' Navin
Noreaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:20 PM   #4
ARiderX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
I understand that Japanese cruisers are frowned upon in the USA, for not being the real deal. But in Europe we don't have the same emotional-irrational attachment to HD. (and all that 'patriotic' crap they try to paddle, as if buying a piece of metal that has probably been produced overseas has anything to do with that, maybe for the feeble minded...)

I would need a whole lot of convincing to ever own an HD for any regular riding. But I would consider a bolt, star 1300, m109r, kawasaki vn900, etc... All brilliant machines, very reliable, decent service intervals, no stealership attitude... Just turn the key and ride at a fair price.

If you think the 1100 is great, take a look at the 1300. The bike I would buy if I wanted a cruiser. And if you like batwings, the 1300 with the batwings comes in high at almost every review I've read of it...

Things have changed now with the 103ci from Harley, but back in the day when it was still a 96ci, with absolutely miserable power (and heat), it is almost a given that the 1300 from the v-star was smoother and more powerful... I love how harley seems to compete with a 10 year old industry standard and them pat themselves on the back for achieving slightly more power each iteration, it is almost adorable.

You'll have a lot of happy trouble free miles on your v-star, at a fraction of the cost of ownership of an HD, enjoy!

ARiderX screwed with this post Today at 02:17 PM
ARiderX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:59 PM   #5
BP03
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I agree sir. My first bike was an 06 Harley Sportster...Second one is an 06 V-star 1100 which I have put cams, exhaust, pod filters etc etc on. The 1100 rides like a cadillac compared to the Sportster.

Not that the Harley was bad, different bikes I guess. The Harley had much better paint though.
BP03 is offline   Reply With Quote