User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2014, 06:46 PM   #1
tpfeffer OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
R1200RT running rough at altitide

My son inherited my 2000 R1100RT with 50,000 miles. The bike spent it's first 14 years in the flatlands of Nebraska but is now in Colorado Springs. My son took it up into the mountains last weekend with a passenger on the back. He said it didn't run well 14,000 ft and would die when he pulled in the clutch going into corners. He said he thought it ran better with the choke engaged.

My first reaction from my armchair in Omaha was that pulling the choke was just backwards from what I thought. Engaging the choke would add more gas to a mixture that should be leaning out at altitude.

I attempted to google for an answer but got nowhere. The closest I could find was a BMW MOA post where the poster indicated his BMW was running rough at altitude http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...-(2000-R1100RT) A responder suggested the MAP sensor could be failing.

So I searched for MAP sensor related to BMW motorcycles and got no response. So I searched the fiche at Max BMW and found no reference to MAP.

So my first question is does a 2000 R1100 have a Manifold Absolute Pressure (aka, MAP) sensor and if so, where is it at?

My second question is are there any suggestions on what might be happening? If the fuel injection is working as intended, I would guess the O2 sensor would be telling the Motornic that there was too little O2 in the exhaust stream and would attempt to reduce the fuel being injected. This could point to a bad O2 sensor.

As a point of reference, in July we rode on two bikes from Colorado Springs to Paonia for the Top of the Rockies rally. On the trip we went over several high passes without a problem. Granted, the 1100 didn't have a passenger but it was loaded with camping gear.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
tpfeffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 06:37 PM   #2
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpfeffer View Post
My son inherited my 2000 R1100RT with 50,000 miles. The bike spent it's first 14 years in the flatlands of Nebraska but is now in Colorado Springs. My son took it up into the mountains last weekend with a passenger on the back. He said it didn't run well 14,000 ft and would die when he pulled in the clutch going into corners. He said he thought it ran better with the choke engaged.

My first reaction from my armchair in Omaha was that pulling the choke was just backwards from what I thought. Engaging the choke would add more gas to a mixture that should be leaning out at altitude.

I attempted to google for an answer but got nowhere. The closest I could find was a BMW MOA post where the poster indicated his BMW was running rough at altitude http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...-(2000-R1100RT) A responder suggested the MAP sensor could be failing.

So I searched for MAP sensor related to BMW motorcycles and got no response. So I searched the fiche at Max BMW and found no reference to MAP.

So my first question is does a 2000 R1100 have a Manifold Absolute Pressure (aka, MAP) sensor and if so, where is it at?

My second question is are there any suggestions on what might be happening? If the fuel injection is working as intended, I would guess the O2 sensor would be telling the Motornic that there was too little O2 in the exhaust stream and would attempt to reduce the fuel being injected. This could point to a bad O2 sensor.

As a point of reference, in July we rode on two bikes from Colorado Springs to Paonia for the Top of the Rockies rally. On the trip we went over several high passes without a problem. Granted, the 1100 didn't have a passenger but it was loaded with camping gear.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Mine did that too.There is no map sensor to the best of my recollection. The injection system on that bike is pretty primitive. It uses baro data, ambient temp, engine temp, throttle position, RPM, and feedback from the O2 sensor when in closed loop mode. The "choke" is really just a throttle advancer, not an enricher. The mapping wasn't very good or precise either, and was on the edge of too lean. This is what caused so many of them to surge. Put all of this together and you have the propensity for a variety of engine performance issues. The one you mention is one I experienced on three different oil heads. My RT's would typically get a low idle and/or stall whenever altitude and/or temperature changed in short order, such as when riding in 90 degrees into a pouring rain storm that immediately dropped temperature to 70 degrees.

Of course it is also possible that you have an injection system component that is failing or has gone out of spec, but in the absence of any other performance issues I suspect you'll find it's just the nature of the beast.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote