Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2015, 10:59 AM   #1
BanditAdventurer OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
VStrom throttle rotates 360 degrees in roll-off position

Hello:

I'm no mechanical expert, so thought I would ask your advice.
The other day my 2008 VStrom 650 throttle made a slight "click" sound and after that I notice when I roll-off the throttle, the throttle grip can rotate a full 360 degrees (at least) continuing in the roll-off direction.

What this means is that when I'm stopped and want to move, if I've let the throttle rotate past the normal roll-off position, I need to rotate the throttle 360 degrees (in "throttle on" direction) before it creates any resistance and starts to actually act like a throttle.

The bike is still driveable, but obviously it's annoying to have to ensure the throttle is in the right part of the rotation in order to actually provide resistance and get the engine to respond. I also think this issue would slow down my ability to react in an emergency maneuver or sudden "throttle on" need.

Any idea what got broken in the throttle assembly? Anything I can fix easily myself, or does this require taking it to a shop?

I'm going to call my local shop in any case, but can't hurt to ask for some advice on this forum

Many thanks
BanditAdventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:12 AM   #2
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,549
It sounds to me like the rubber hand grip has loosened and needs some adhesive. But, maybe I am misunderstanding the problem.
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:31 AM   #3
SpudBob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Regular or heated grips? sounds like, as previous poster said, grip glue gave way. Common with heated grips-especialy Oxfords with supplied crappy super glue!
SpudBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:33 AM   #4
ig_88e
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
If I remember right, there is a plastic sleeve under the grip that the cables engage. Sounds like that cracked in some kind of toothed shape that lets it work like a ratchet. If so, I doubt it will stay usable for long...

Pull the rubber grip off and inspect. You'll probably have to cut it. And if the plastic is broken, it may be non functional until you get a new sleeve. So do all this at home....
ig_88e is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:22 PM   #5
SpudBob
Adventurer

I guesss, maybe, I misunderstood as OP say the throttle is still functional, but rotates. If the tube or cable was broken it should not operate. OP does just the tube rotate or the whole throttle tube/housing???
Old 04-13-2015, 07:13 PM   #6
BanditAdventurer OP
Adventurer

Sorry for confusion...

These are just the original vStrom grips - no heat element or anything.

I'm going to call my garage to have it checked out.

I don't want a failure (or stuck throttle) while on the road. That would be no fun at all.

When the problem is identified/verified I'll post the issue, fix and cost.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:40 PM   #7
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,850
Disassemble the right hand switchgear and look at it yourself. Call a shop...pffft.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:31 PM   #8
robfilms
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
sounds like you might need some glue.

+1

ymmv

be well.

rob
Old 04-14-2015, 06:07 AM   #9
maxjett
Biketrader

Oddometer: 625
It should be easy enough to tell if the grip is slipping on the plastic sleeve or not! If the grip is slipping slid it off, spray a little spray paint in the grip and slide it back on.
maxjett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:14 PM   #10
SpudBob
Adventurer

Exacto! If its the stock grip and its slipping get some glue of your choice.Pull the end weight off-be careful to just loosen it a little or your inside nut will stay in the bar. Pull the grip off. Twist and pull! Clean off the throttle tube/inside of grip if it make you feel better. Aply Grip glue, spray paint, contact cement. It all works.Put glue on the first half "isn" of throttle tube only as the glue will spread toward the inside of the grip stop as you push it on. you can twist it as you push it on if you like. Wait the recommended time, usually overnight, till it dries and you just saved $$$. I don't recommend Hair spray as it sometimes gets slippery when wet! Don't take it to the shop. Its the easiest fix you can make!

SpudBob screwed with this post 04-14-2015 at 01:21 PM
Old 04-15-2015, 11:22 AM   #11
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,999
The stock (as in factory) grips are bonded to the throttle tube on these bike IIRC.

Sounds like something else is happening, pictures would be nice to better understand the problem.
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:35 AM   #12
everready
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
You really need to post a video.............
Old 04-30-2015, 09:59 AM   #13
BanditAdventurer OP
Adventurer

Vstrom Throttle issue - root cause determined

Well - finally got my Vstrom to 109 Cycle in Toronto (I trust them and they do good work on my bike). Turns out my throttle return cable is severed! And my throttle pulling cable is hanging by a thread - so I'm darn lucky I had any throttle at all!. Could have been time for a CAA call an a flat bed since no throttle = stranded!

Anyway - replacement parts being searched for and hopefully obtained soon, and then replaced.

It's a 2008 and hasn't been roughly treated (unless you call Labrador and Newfoundland gravel rough) - so I guess this is just general wear and tear - 7 year old cables - they're going to fail at some point!

At least the root cause and solution are clear - so when I get it back I expect good throttle control once again.

Thanks for all your advice and insights on this thread. I don't think I described the problem very well to begin with - unfortunately. Sorry about that.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:51 PM   #14
rockitcity
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditAdventurer View Post
Well - finally got my Vstrom to 109 Cycle in Toronto (I trust them and they do good work on my bike). Turns out my throttle return cable is severed! And my throttle pulling cable is hanging by a thread - so I'm darn lucky I had any throttle at all!. Could have been time for a CAA call an a flat bed since no throttle = stranded!

Anyway - replacement parts being searched for and hopefully obtained soon, and then replaced.

It's a 2008 and hasn't been roughly treated (unless you call Labrador and Newfoundland gravel rough) - so I guess this is just general wear and tear - 7 year old cables - they're going to fail at some point!

At least the root cause and solution are clear - so when I get it back I expect good throttle control once again.

Thanks for all your advice and insights on this thread. I don't think I described the problem very well to begin with - unfortunately. Sorry about that.
I was a little late getting to this thread, but the throttle return cable would have been my first guess. Having removed the original grips on a couple of Suzuki's, it's pretty unlikely they would loosen up and slip on the tube.

I"m surprised that both cables are worn, but yeah, it's a push-pull throttle for safety, so it's a good thing to get it fixed. Any rust on the cables? Maybe some cable lubricant would be a good idea.
rockitcity is offline   Reply With Quote