Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 04:18 AM   #361
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelsavage View Post
Just rented a 500 from Pop's in Chiang Mai. Did 300 km in extremely twisty roads (Chiang Mai to Pai and back is about 1,500 curves). Great control. Feel good factor high. Not for high speed. At about 110 km/h, wind buffeting sets in. Great torque and perfect to get out of those curves. Good seat, good driving position. Fuel economy only OK. Quite silent. Very agile in curves and in traffic.All in all, a very good bike. Not a speed monster, but agile, light, maneuverable. And good looking...
Which one was this?

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:47 AM   #362
fragile_this_side_up
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,029
[QUOTE=michelsavage;20737243Fuel economy only OK....[/QUOTE]

Can you specify about what you got and how aggressive you were riding?
Old 02-16-2013, 07:34 AM   #363
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelsavage View Post
Just rented a 500 from Pop's in Chiang Mai. Did 300 km in extremely twisty roads (Chiang Mai to Pai and back is about 1,500 curves). Great control. Feel good factor high. Not for high speed. At about 110 km/h, wind buffeting sets in. Great torque and perfect to get out of those curves. Good seat, good driving position. Fuel economy only OK. Quite silent. Very agile in curves and in traffic.All in all, a very good bike. Not a speed monster, but agile, light, maneuverable. And good looking...
Moar please. Any pics?
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #364
bbrz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Just my observations

Saw all of the new Honda's Friday in Indy with an open mind, as they were new models. Hope this info is helpful.
I am a small person, so add that into whatever you take from here. 5'5 155 57 yrs. Sat on all 3 of the models X 10.
500R- sporty as you would guess. Nice feel and features. Seemed to be a good move for someone wanting a "sporty" bike without the baggage that comes with a Sport Bike.
500F- Great ergo's and fit. Urban bike that would seem to be easy to live with and could do most everything well in a closer to home setting. Naked styling and narrow. The tank fairings did not seem necessary, but?
500X- Longer reach to bars and to the floor, but comfy sitting. Adventure to Honda= mile eater. Cute little windscreen appears adjustable with tools. The larger tank is not obtrusive, a little more intense to service with the extra body work, but not as bad as the R.
All 3 had hidden plastic fasteners that probably won't have to be undone often, but will have to be at some point.
Valves may be a chore, as the head is close up top.
I believe Honda did a great job with this platform and will get better, as long as buyers understand what they need.
Didn't talk to any Reps.about these machines, but they sure were busy at the Honda Pit.

Just my .02
bbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:14 PM   #365
fragile_this_side_up
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,029
Cool deal. One thing I would like to see is how much space is under the seat. They couldnt pop the seat off at the dc show. I have a little bit of room under my sv rear seat and im afraid the honda has less.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #366
rosmoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Michaelsavage, What model. F,R or X ??? Price for rental, as I am in Thailand.
rosmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:13 PM   #367
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,519
mcn first ride

For those anxiously awaiting info, no matter how slight, here's a couple of paragraphs from MCN (UK) on a first ride on the R.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...0r-first-ride/
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:43 PM   #368
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
For those anxiously awaiting info, no matter how slight, here's a couple of paragraphs from MCN (UK) on a first ride on the R.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...0r-first-ride/
Tidy little excerpt

Quote:
As you would expect, being a Honda, its easy to get on with and novice friendly, a doddle to ride, the power delivery will never catch anybody out its brisk rather than fast but the pleasing surprise is that if you want to give it a good fistful of revs its truly engaging and fun, in a way that reminds me of the old and much loved CB500, which these bikes are designed to carry on the tradition of.

The other surprise is that it is a proper little grown up bike in its own right and is not a pastiche in any way, like maybe the CBR600F is. It is also great value for money at just under 5000, with very few other budget giveaways we feared from a bike that is built in Thailand.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:16 PM   #369
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,131
That's exactly what I wanted to hear, since I used to own a CB500.

That bike was never going to scare anyone, but you could thrash the hell out of it.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #370
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post
That's exactly what I wanted to hear, since I used to own a CB500.

That bike was never going to scare anyone, but you could thrash the hell out of it.
That's what I liked about the Hawk GT and GS500 I used to own. You could wail on 'em and not be going 100+ mph. One of the reasons I'm interested in the 500's.
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #371
Anteraan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrz View Post
Saw all of the new Honda's Friday in Indy with an open mind, as they were new models. Hope this info is helpful.
I am a small person, so add that into whatever you take from here. 5'5 155 57 yrs. Sat on all 3 of the models X 10.
500R- sporty as you would guess. Nice feel and features. Seemed to be a good move for someone wanting a "sporty" bike without the baggage that comes with a Sport Bike.
500F- Great ergo's and fit. Urban bike that would seem to be easy to live with and could do most everything well in a closer to home setting. Naked styling and narrow. The tank fairings did not seem necessary, but?
500X- Longer reach to bars and to the floor, but comfy sitting. Adventure to Honda= mile eater. Cute little windscreen appears adjustable with tools. The larger tank is not obtrusive, a little more intense to service with the extra body work, but not as bad as the R.
All 3 had hidden plastic fasteners that probably won't have to be undone often, but will have to be at some point.
Valves may be a chore, as the head is close up top.
I believe Honda did a great job with this platform and will get better, as long as buyers understand what they need.
Didn't talk to any Reps.about these machines, but they sure were busy at the Honda Pit.

Just my .02
I was there too. I liked the look of them in person, but can't for the life of me figure out why Honda has decided to go non-standard in their switchgear. Is this how scooters are set up or something? It started with the NC700X, and now it extends to the 700 series and 500 series. By "it" I'm referring to moving the horn to where the turn signals are typically found, and vice versa. I found it odd, since the other Hondas there (CBR250, Fury, CB1100, Wing and variants) all had the standard setup.

I don't know about your experience there, but my observations were that the 500's had by far the most traffic, with the Wing/F6B second and the NC700X third. The CTX section, despite having four bikes out, the huge banner, and being closest to the center area ("on approach" in marketing speak), had the fewest people. The Honda reps were also extremely non-interactive. Then again, this was at 3:00 on Sunday, to be fair.
Anteraan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:29 PM   #372
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteraan View Post
I was there too. I liked the look of them in person, but can't for the life of me figure out why Honda has decided to go non-standard in their switchgear. Is this how scooters are set up or something? It started with the NC700X, and now it extends to the 700 series and 500 series. By "it" I'm referring to moving the horn to where the turn signals are typically found, and vice versa. I found it odd, since the other Hondas there (CBR250, Fury, CB1100, Wing and variants) all had the standard setup.

I don't know about your experience there, but my observations were that the 500's had by far the most traffic, with the Wing/F6B second and the NC700X third. The CTX section, despite having four bikes out, the huge banner, and being closest to the center area ("on approach" in marketing speak), had the fewest people. The Honda reps were also extremely non-interactive. Then again, this was at 3:00 on Sunday, to be fair.
The VFR1200 has the horn and turn signal same as the 700 and 500. There really is no standard between brands and bikes, it seems every 20 or 30 years it changes and all the 20 and 30 year olds get bent.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:20 PM   #373
NortwestRider
TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer: 3,512
I have been honking at people all week by mistake !!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Facebook..PNW Adventure Riders..Facebook
MY BUILD http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938440
NortwestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:58 PM   #374
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by NortwestRider View Post
I have been honking at people all week by mistake !!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You get used to it and before you know it you will have muscle memory and won't have to think about what to push. In the garage I have had at least two bikes with different button layouts for a long time plus a scooter or Cub in the corner that has the rear brake where the clutch is on my other bikes.

I am excited about seeing the 500s for real. I might have misunderstood my dealer but I thought he told me last week he could place orders as if 2/11/13 for spring delivery and he ordered as many of each model as his allocation from Honda would allow. Last spring he was able to order NC700Xs a month before another dealer in the area was.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:19 AM   #375
michelsavage
Gotta move

Oddometer: 53
Cbr500r

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosmoe View Post
Michaelsavage, What model. F,R or X ??? Price for rental, as I am in Thailand.
Cost 1400 bahts in Chiang Mai at Pops. Did not drive agressively. The CBR250R I had just tested before loved 130 km/h plus. For some reason, the 500 felt more noisy. Also, the torque you get at low RPM, you loose top speed. I loved that bike though. Accelerates fast, very good handling. And sexy looking too.

michelsavage screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 04:25 AM
michelsavage is offline   Reply With Quote