Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #511
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit1k View Post
Just looked at the R model at the local dealer. it has a refreshingly roomy appearance and high quality look about it. Very nice
I just saw the F in person for the first time and it looks as good as the
NC700S.. (but I'd still pick the 700..).

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:01 PM   #512
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,912
Saw the R today, was very impressed with the fit and finish...
Old 04-13-2013, 02:16 AM   #513
Fictitious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
The 500Rs just game in at my local dealer; looking pretty darn shiny. I've signed up for the Honda test ride event so we'll see how that goes.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:23 AM   #514
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,563
Due to an idiot friend I got to put around 100k's on a 500R today.

Brand new bike, new tires, pissing down with rain, and since he got his bike before his license - someone had to ride it home. And since he'll be puttering for the first few months, I was asked to put some k's on it so the engine would get a chance to break in properly.

Did I say it was raining ? - you know the sort of rain where you can't see very far because there's so much water in the air - that sort of rain. I think the guys at the Honda shop were running a sweep to be honest

Very nice bike, I don't normally get on with road bike ergo's but it was comfortable within a couple of minutes. Tyres were a bit edgy for about the first few k's, after that they stopped stepping out - more likely the smooth tar in the urban areas than the tires.

Gearbox was good, engine was good. Less power than my DL 650, but really good power delivery. The only time I really noticed the power difference was opening it up on very steep hills. I did have to change gears more than on the DL, but not to an insane extent, and I was making a point of working the gearbox to vary the rev's.

Big pluses on the DL - quiet. Only the whoosh of wind past the helmet. A lot easier to manouvre in tight spots, lighter, lower. Either feet up or paddling, really easy. (I got lost finding it's home O.K. and had to back out of some dead end streets). Seat is probably better than the DL's.

Not so good.
Mirrors - well, I could see my elbows. Fitting mirrors that are further forward and further out will be a common mod.

Put contact on the back and sides of the tank, the riding position for me was well forward so scuffs on the tank will be inevitable otherwise.

Rear suspension - O.K. I may be being unfair here, my DL is set up to handle dirt roads at speed. Front suspension was on a par with the stock 2012 DL 650 - damper rod, but at least well set up from the get go. The rear was no where near as good, got totally overwhelmed on a few bumpy corners. (And note, not my bike, new bike, heavy rain, I was NOT pushing). I havn't ridden many 'average road bikes' recently and on the DL I can pretty much ignore lumps. It was a bit better towards the end of the ride so may have just been 'stiff' and needing time. Not a killer, but you will need to dodge the lumps rather than ignore them.

Overall impressions, comfortable bike, enough power that power would't be an issue riding within legal limits. A bike I could live with if for some reason there was one in the garage.

While I think my friend *is* an idiot for not getting his license first, I think it's a good choice. It'll be really nice to commute on, and he won't be deparate to upgrade as soon as he gets his open license. It has enough get up and go to pass and keep up on trips at 'mostly legal' speeds and would be comfortable enough to do long k's.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:16 PM   #515
theloop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Thanks for the report Pete. I like what you wrote up about the engine since I put money down on a CB500x. I had my choices down to four bikes, the CB500x, NC700x, NT700v, And a 650 v strom, after sitting on all the bikes the CB500x just felt like it was made for me. I know it has the smallest engine of them all, but my wife never once rode on my last bike, plus my last bike, a 750 shadow had about 10 less hp then the new 500's so I should be just fine for riding I plan on doing with it.
theloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #516
Larry Ferguson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloop View Post
Thanks for the report Pete. I like what you wrote up about the engine since I put money down on a CB500x. I had my choices down to four bikes, the CB500x, NC700x, NT700v, And a 650 v strom, after sitting on all the bikes the CB500x just felt like it was made for me. I know it has the smallest engine of them all, but my wife never once rode on my last bike, plus my last bike, a 750 shadow had about 10 less hp then the new 500's so I should be just fine for riding I plan on doing with it.
Where were you able to find a 500X to sit on? My dealer won't get them until at least May.

'01 Connie
'83 XT 550
'78 XL 350
'73 XL 250
'72 XL 250 (Needs "assembly")
Larry Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #517
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Ferguson View Post
Where were you able to find a 500X to sit on? My dealer won't get them until at least May.
I think he saw the X at a show, not at a dealer.
B02S4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #518
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,639
The local dealer has a cbr500r that I sat on in the showroom. Nice compact motorcycle. Sit position reminded me of my old Hawk GT, although I haven't had that bike for several years so my memory of it may be suspect.

He said they were expecting an "F" next week and an "X" shortly thereafter.
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:10 PM   #519
Larry Ferguson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
The local dealer has a cbr500r that I sat on in the showroom. Nice compact motorcycle. Sit position reminded me of my old Hawk GT, although I haven't had that bike for several years so my memory of it may be suspect.

He said they were expecting an "F" next week and an "X" shortly thereafter.
Same here. Mid America Motoplex in Sioux Falls is having their open house today. 35 degrees, snowing, and strong east wind. Not much global warming going on around here. And no, I don't want to step into that debate.

'01 Connie
'83 XT 550
'78 XL 350
'73 XL 250
'72 XL 250 (Needs "assembly")
Larry Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #520
theloop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Ferguson View Post
The North America International Motorcycle show in Novi Michigan. I ordered the ABS model and and my out the door price with tax is going to be $6,811. I was told to expect a July delivery date.
theloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:47 PM   #521
lrgart
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Cbr500r

Had an encounter with the worst salesman ever!

Was at my friendly local Honda shop and saw the sweet new red R! Asked the salesman if they had fired one up and taken one out. He said he wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole, then explained that he had a 1000RR and that the new 500R was irrelevant! He berated all motorcycles but liter-class supersports, then asked what my current ride was or if I was even a rider yet!

Thankfully I can deal with a different salesman when I am ready to buy! Can't wait to read about everyone's experience with this new model.
lrgart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:47 PM   #522
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrgart View Post

Was at my friendly local Honda shop and saw the sweet new red R! Asked the salesman if they had fired one up and taken one out. He said he wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole, then explained that he had a 1000RR and that the new 500R was irrelevant! He berated all motorcycles but liter-class supersports, then asked what my current ride was or if I was even a rider yet!

Thankfully I can deal with a different salesman when I am ready to buy! Can't wait to read about everyone's experience with this new model.
Wow. I've heard some uninformed things from bike salesmen, but that takes the cake. What a poser.
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:35 AM   #523
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrgart View Post

What a bonehead. Hopefully he works off commission and will be doing something else in a week or two.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:42 AM   #524
yooperbikemike
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,497
CB500X Accessories

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:29 PM   #525
FlySniper
Bleh...

Oddometer: 1,662
I sat on one at the dealer today too. Nice bike. Feels lighter than my Ninja 500, seems to have a bit better ergos (looks like the bars are adjustable) and ... there's something about it that I just LIKE.

Ugh, I'm going to figure out a way to test ride one.

BTW, they also said they may get an X in June, but they aren't certain yet.

I also looked at the NC700 and was shocked that I actually liked it as well. Is Honda really building affordable bikes that I like... or am I tripping?

"Think about how stupid the average person is. Now, realise that half of them are dumber than that." - George Carlin
FlySniper is offline   Reply With Quote