Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #616
Dezzie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
The recommendation of an initial valve clearance check is flash worthy news?
it is when ya just bought a bike and then have to fork out another 300 pounds within weeks of buying ya bike when usual first service is around 80 pounds!
Old 07-05-2013, 03:02 PM   #617
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 15,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzie View Post
it is when ya just bought a bike and then have to fork out another 300 pounds within weeks of buying ya bike when usual first service is around 80 pounds!
Aprilia pulled the same trick with the Dorsoduro. First service? That will 400 sir!

They should just add it to the sticker price, it would be more honest.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #618
jon_l
Southern Ontario

Oddometer: 2,646
That is an absurd valve check interval. This isn't a high-performance race bike. I wouldn't buy one unless the first check was done free by the dealer.

My bikes are 24,000 and 42,000 kilometers to the first check.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #619
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,383
If they are out of spec at 600 miles, they were probably out of spec when it was built. So much for saving $ by outsourcing the build!
Navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:03 AM   #620
JBMorse
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
I believe the CBR250R has the same valve check intervals. I know 600 miles seems early but they aren't checked again until 16k miles, which sounds attractive to me. My old CB500/4 needs to be checked every 3k miles.
If it were me I would negotiate the first service into the purchase price of the bike.
JBMorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:01 PM   #621
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
Not in the USA.

Magnuson Moss Warranty Act.
Magnuson Moss has to do with whether a mfg can specify who can do the service (i.e., requiring dealer service rather than DIY). A mfg can, in the US or anywhere else, still specify that a service has to be performed to maintain the warranty.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:21 AM   #622
dduelin
Oh boy that was close

Oddometer: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Magnuson Moss has to do with whether a mfg can specify who can do the service (i.e., requiring dealer service rather than DIY). A mfg can, in the US or anywhere else, still specify that a service has to be performed to maintain the warranty.

- Mark
That is not true in the USA. The OP implied a dealer has to do the initial 600 mile service to maintain the manufacturers warranty. The owner can do it, or not do it, and still maintain the warranty on the vehicle. If there was a problem with the valves during the warranty period the owner would have to prove the service was done as related to the part(s) in question and that the failure to perform the service caused the failure but manufacturer could not refuse to honor the warranty on any other part of the vehicle and would have to prove the lack of service caused the failure in question. For example if a camshaft failed prematurely because the metal was not tempered properly a manufacturer could not refuse to honor the warranty because a valve check was not done. If a transmission bearing failed this is even more obvious - the manufacturer could not claim missing the 600 mile check releases their liability to repair under warranty. On the other hand if a valve burnt during warranty the owner would face a difficult time getting redress from the manufacturer.

In some other countries the owner does not have this protection and the entire vehicle warranty can be voided if all scheduled services are not performed by an authorized dealer.

Dave
dduelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:03 PM   #623
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,360
I'd negotiate the 1st service as part of he initial purchase.

Regards, Paul
Old 07-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #624
Thorgrim
War Hippie

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
I'd negotiate the 1st service as part of he initial purchase.

Regards, Paul
You'd have little luck with that here, they're flying off the dealer's showroom floor as fast as they hit it (I bought mine today).

The CRF250L has a waiting list, though, which I find especially encouraging for the members of this forum. Dirt-capable and truly streetable bikes seem to be catching on and the more good choices we have, the more people can enjoy our niche.
Thorgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #625
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorgrim View Post
You'd have little luck with that here, they're flying off the dealer's showroom floor as fast as they hit it (I bought mine today).

The CRF250L has a waiting list, though, which I find especially encouraging for the members of this forum. Dirt-capable and truly streetable bikes seem to be catching on and the more good choices we have, the more people can enjoy our niche.
I can wait.

Regards, Paul
Old 07-27-2013, 04:24 PM   #626
old-n-slow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 412
I'm curious to learn if anyone who's had the valves checked at 600 miles found them out of spec ??

09 Super Sherpa
09 KLR650
old-n-slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:43 PM   #627
Thorgrim
War Hippie

Oddometer: 203
I'll soon know if this weather will break. Or maybe it's the predictions that are off, I stayed home today because I don't enjoy riding in the rain on a naked bike, and it's been nice non-blinding overcast weather all day. I'm outahere to somewhere tomorrow, watch it rain cats and dogs. Such is life.
Thorgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #628
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
You folks buy a bike after "sitting on it and listening" to the engine? Just imagine buying a new car like that. "Yup, the new Subaru sure has nice seats, and I really like the nice quiet engine, here's my check......" Yup , that'd be really bright. How do the motorcycle dealerships get us to do this shit?
Lyle

They ARE good looking bikes though.

Very difficult to get a test ride at most dealers around here. The excuses vary but it's all very very hard. About the best you can hope for on a new bike is to pay for it and they will let you bring it back in less than 15 miles if you don't like it. Used bikes are much much easier to get a ride on however.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #629
Reconstructed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Reconstructed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #630
DudeClone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 963
chiming in on all this first service, valve check cost stuff....

....i like the 500f so it concerns me. however i have a feeling the valves don't really need to be checked / adjusted at 600 miles. not with subsequent checks every 8K. my guess is 16K is a good time for a good first check, but thats just me

i really think Honda does this to give their dealers business. i mean a valve check so soon at such a cost? no parts needed even if an unlikely adjustment is, and who knows how long that really takes an experienced shop with all the proper tools?

"valves took 20 minutes to check but would have taken the customer 2 and 1/2 hours to DIY. that will be 2 and 1/2 hours labor, please."

is it a scam? lets find out. how many with these bikes actually NEEDED adjustment? and wouldn't a bike start running like crap before it burnt up a valve or whatever if adjustment was needed at anytime, anyway? i've seen lot's of posts around where a bike is running poorly, owner checks the valves and they are out of spec. adjusts 'em, and its like new again. but the engine didn't blow for heavens sake!