Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2012, 07:26 AM   #166
southwade
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oddometer: 1,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
And I guess they are afraid of you tampering with the brake fluids??? delete this little cap lock before you need to IMO, serves no real purpose except blocking you from adding fluid.

http://173.74.246.28/ktmtalk/photoga...s/Photo267.jpg
Are you sure that's not there to keep you from losing the cap if it happens to come loose?
Old 11-03-2012, 08:38 AM   #167
sniper1rfa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
And I guess they are afraid of you tampering with the brake fluids??? delete this little cap lock before you need to IMO, serves no real purpose except blocking you from adding fluid.

Something tells me they wouldn't have put it there if it didn't serve a purpose. Maybe the cap threads don't work perfectly and that was cheaper than a new mold. I would leave it on.
sniper1rfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:48 AM   #168
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,743
It probably is, or it is meant to keep noobs away from it! It is basically a child proof lid.

Bad threads? I hadn't even thought of that one. It tigtens just fine and your boot can't hit it to unscrew it either. Seriously, if there was a design flaw we all know Kawi would deny it and keep it in production for 35 years unchanged, see KLR doo-hickey if you doubt it.

I've had dozens of bikes with screw cap master reservoirs and never lost one I didn't remove myself and leave on the toolbox. That locking tab won't remind me to put it back on so its's in the trash. Now if they put a tether on it i might leave it.

I had added tiny incandecant rear turn sigs and the stock flasher would just BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. Lights on, no flash. A trip to the local auto parts store and $5 later I had in hand a CEC brand "electronic flasher" pn EF32. Plugged right in (under the rear most right side body panel) and works perfectly. It uses a standard 2 prong flasher. Reattached by taping the rubber mount to the new round flasher and slipped it right on the stock tab.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #169
socalmike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Damn, white is teh shitz!
Nice! Congrats!

Now you're obligated to review it.
Every 3-4 days for the first few months, then we can switch to
monthly reports.

Just sayin'.
'tiz the rulez.

Check with other inmates if you don't believe me!
Wish I could, 90 outside today. I have a pinched nerve in my neck and the 10 min drive home sucked pretty bad. Navin is wasting no time getting his bike sorted out!
socalmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:44 PM   #170
Navin
Unwounding

The luggage rack is my next project. Need to get a big Give top box mounted up. So far everything for a 08-12 Ninja 250 has bolted on. Twisted Throttle needed time and a bike for a few days to develop one. I'm waiting for them to get back to me. Even though I'm a nice days ride from them, I don't see myself trucking my bike there to leave it and then again drive out to retreive it, or getting a room for 2-3 days to wait. If they can do the R&D in a single day I'll ride it there super early and wait/help if i can.

Maybe I'll chance it and just order their 2012 rack?
Old 11-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #171
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,505
I had an '07 I was perfectly happy with, other than it was physically to small for me. I wonder if the frame is any bigger? The price puts it out of my reach for no more than I would ride it. I have no need or want for FI or ABS, and would specifically avoid it if it were not available without ABS. Small or not, it is still a sport bike, and I want to be in full control. Oh, and it would be nice if the bars were a little higher.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #172
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,231
Sport bike? The EX-250 has always had a standard, almost fully upright riding position. Higher bars? I'm definitely going the other direction.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #173
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,918
Quote:
The luggage rack is my next project. Need to get a big Give top box mounted up. So far everything for a 08-12 Ninja 250 has bolted on. Twisted Throttle needed time and a bike for a few days to develop one. I'm waiting for them to get back to me. Even though I'm a nice days ride from them, I don't see myself trucking my bike there to leave it and then again drive out to retreive it, or getting a room for 2-3 days to wait. If they can do the R&D in a single day I'll ride it there super early and wait/help if i can.

Maybe I'll chance it and just order their 2012 rack?
Or if they have a '12 rack in stock you could probably ride it out there and test-fit it. Be a good excuse for a ride...

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #174
Navin
Unwounding

Yes, I've asked about getting one and if by some chance it doesn't work I'll just give it to my son for his 12.

So far the list of 2008-12 parts that literally bolt on follows:

slip ons
rear sets
clip ons
brake hoses/pads
airfilters
POD AIRFITERS from K&N!!!!!

My new 120 fr/150rr tires should be here this week and I expect them to have enough room from my measurments to slide right in. Thankfully I had a set on my KTM 530 sumoto wheels in the garage to measure up.

Sportbike? Heck, even with my SVRacing rear sets it is a dead on standard ergo bike. I'm thinking about trying the tallest clip ons, about 1" forward, 1" lower than stock and even then it will not be close to a real sportbike, more a sporty bike if not still just a standard.

I can't say it enough, this 300 is a different bike than the 250. So much the same but still a completely different bike. My 2012 250 owning son was shocked by the differences.

Come on socalmike! Brave the pain and review the bike! Drink after if it helps!
Old 11-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #175
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Ride a Suzuki TU250 (which is a standard) then ride the Ninja. You will quickly notice how much lower the Ninja's bars are, and how much higher and further back the pegs are. The TU is WAY more comfortable. Unfortunately it is also too small for me, though I could ride it if it had a one piece seat that I could slide farther back on. The '07 Ninja 250 definitely had a more sportbike riding position than a standard, and the '08 and up looks to be even moreso. The older Ninja also had a much more comfortable seat. Kawasaki had it nailed with the first gen Ninja 250, with the second gen they went strictly for looks, single exhaust, no centerstand, small flat pad instead of a seat, and more futuristic looking plastics. The 300 just seems to be a step further in that direction, from any distance you can't tell it from a 600. But I'd still rather have the old one. A much more practical and comfortable bike.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #176
Navin
Unwounding

I'd compare the ergos to a Bandit, my old ZR-7s or even the EX500, the TU looks more like a retro ergo bike, like a standard from the 70s and thats not based on the looks either. :ile the old CB350s I had as a kid!

Things have changed and I'm not small at 6-01/210 but it fits me well enough that lower bars and pegs aren't out of line and it'll still be more standard ergo than my ZZR1200s were.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #177
socalmike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Chiropractic appointment tomorrow. The neck pain I'm use to but my right arm going numb makes it hard to enjoy the ride. I'm off on Wednesday and hope to get some seat time.

~mike
socalmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:50 AM   #178
Navin
Unwounding

Geez, feel better. Can't be feeling good with a new bike waiting and warm temps to ride in.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #179
Navin
Unwounding

Galfer SS lines for the 2012 Ninja 250 bolted right up and EBC DOT 4 was bled thru them. A noticable difference for sure.

I locked the rear wheel on the first application during the test ride, never had that come up with stock line back there! Nearly locked the front too just getting a feel for them. It is now a real 2 finger brake up front but I'll be trying a pad with more bite. This was a good first step and a clear improvement and the rear is good but the front ain't done yet.

Tip for the next guy, slice the two front hose isolator rubbers on the flat side. This renders the old hose useless as you will cut into it at least a little. Peel them off after cutting, they are glued on. Now you can reuse the two stock brackets without the new hose getting damaged. Be sure you orient the brackets the same way and get a good look at the one on the lower triple clamp. The hoses should clear all other surfaces where they can cut in or be cut. I'll keep an eye on these just to be sure they don't get loose but they seem to be pretty well fitted to the brackets. They are loose on the hose but no worries, I don't see them going anywhere.

I also added a zip ty to the full loop bracket on the swingarm to keep the line from falling out of the open loops in front of and behind it.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #180
JerryH
Vintage Rider

An old CB from the '70s WAS a standard. The new Triumph Bonneville is also a standard. The late Nighthawk 750 and 250 were standards. I like standards. My Goldwing has a standard riding position. I sold a Ninja 500 because I couldn't deal with the low forward bars and high rearset pegs. My arms, shoulders and neck hurt bad after only a few miles. My legs got numb. I put bar risers on it, that helped some, but not enough. I couldn't ride it far enough without pain to make it worthwhile to keep. Yes, I do have some medical issues. But standard style bikes and dual sports do not cause me that kind of pain. I can ride them all day. Japan Inc. needs to build some bikes that us older riders can actually ride in comfort. Something in the 750cc range. I would love to have the 750 Nighthawk back. I wish I had bought one.