Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #181
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,850
My point was the standard of a "standard" has changed. A sportbike today is a R6. Compare the Ninja 300 to that and it isn't even close. Standards of the 70s are antiques today and their ergos are what they are. I rode them too and I don't yearn for the long tanks and wheel barrow handlebars that my RD400 had. It was a sporty standard back then!

I've owned the later "standards", ZZR1200, ZR7-s, Bandits. Get a ride on a GSXR600 and tell me the Ninja 500, (which I also owned), is a sportbike! I guess a 300 is a forwardish standard??? A Sportster is a laid back standard??? I don't know what you want to call em but I know it ain't a ZX6!
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:39 PM   #182
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
And I guess they are afraid of you tampering with the brake fluids??? delete this little cap lock before you need to IMO, serves no real purpose except blocking you from adding fluid.

I've had a couple of bikes that had something like this. I liked having it, I see it as more of a security feature. No one can just walk up and steal your cap with that on there.

Sent from my ADR6350
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:31 PM   #183
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
An old CB from the '70s WAS a standard. The new Triumph Bonneville is also a standard. The late Nighthawk 750 and 250 were standards. I like standards. My Goldwing has a standard riding position. I sold a Ninja 500 because I couldn't deal with the low forward bars and high rearset pegs. My arms, shoulders and neck hurt bad after only a few miles. My legs got numb. I put bar risers on it, that helped some, but not enough. I couldn't ride it far enough without pain to make it worthwhile to keep. Yes, I do have some medical issues. But standard style bikes and dual sports do not cause me that kind of pain. I can ride them all day. Japan Inc. needs to build some bikes that us older riders can actually ride in comfort. Something in the 750cc range. I would love to have the 750 Nighthawk back. I wish I had bought one.
Those bikes are never coming back from Japan Inc. The market simply isn't big enough to justify a company the size of any of the Big 4 selling the kind of volume Triumph does with the Bonnie.

You should buy a Bonnie. It's the closest you're going to get without gray-marketing something from Japan or Europe. The good news is you live in a state where it would be possible to do so if you had the cash.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:46 AM   #184
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker View Post
Those bikes are never coming back from Japan Inc. The market simply isn't big enough to justify a company the size of any of the Big 4 selling the kind of volume Triumph does with the Bonnie.

You should buy a Bonnie. It's the closest you're going to get without gray-marketing something from Japan or Europe. The good news is you live in a state where it would be possible to do so if you had the cash.
You're forgetting the TU250...

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #185
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
You're forgetting the TU250...
He said it was too small, which it is for some.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #186
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Getting used to the pretty big drop in quality from my KTMs here. That lil master cylinder cover safety actually broke the cheapo factory screwdriver in the 300's underseat kit.

All those "tools" have been replaced by old KTM spares I had in the garage. The kit can serve a function besides ballast now.

Junk.

Rear wheel & tire are off awaiting the new Conti supermoto tires, the bead breaker touched the rim edge while aligning it, paint leapt off the rim like a base jumper.

Ugh. It looks like it was "powdercoated" in an easy bake oven.

The rear axle metallurgy rivals the metals used in my nephew's big wheel push trike. not impressive but the $$$ had to be saved somewhere. Thankfully it wasn't in the engine, as far as I know anyway!

Navin screwed with this post 11-16-2012 at 04:25 PM
Old 11-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #187
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
noit impressive but the $$$ had to be saved somewhere. Thankfully it wasn't in the engine, as far as I know anyway!
My 650R was the same way, sorta chintzy. The motor though...
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:53 AM   #188
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

I'm holding the just delivered Scotts damper mount and I fear the bike's body may medically reject the entire unit!

The pin tower is a weld on and shouldn't be an issue, the triple clamp looks the same, I'll be back when I know if it bolts on or not!
Old 11-06-2012, 10:17 AM   #189
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Yep, bolted on! The pin tower needs a little shaping and a weld. By the weekend if I get lucky!

Old 11-06-2012, 10:25 AM   #190
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,237
Navin,

Why do you feel that the 300 needs a steering damper? I thought that the steering geometry was relatively slow.

I really hate junk. It may not matter how good the engine is, and if the components are that cheap, a KTM Duke made in India will beat it hands down.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #191
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

It needs it cause I have it!

Seriously the bike is super stable but I kept this damper off my SMR and I don't see a reason to not use it. I'll be playing with ride height soon enough and expect as the forks move up & down and that GSXR shock gets into play the damper won't hurt anything.

I don't know what to expect from that 390 KTM. I hope it is of higher quality than these things. I had a 06 Ninja 500 as a street beater/touring/kids loaner bike for a couple years. The same "frugality" is all over the 300. From the bolts to the plastics retainers. Pretty but brittle plastics and Toys-r Us level metals abound.

Hey, I can slam it cause I own it so nobody has a right to get insulted!!!

It's the same old 1997 Ninja 250 under the pretty clothes, except the frigging engine is a real runner. I'll see how far I can take it, a refitted stout aluminum swingarm isn't off the table at this point. I just wonder if the tiny pivot point will be strong enough to make it worthwhile.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #192
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,237
I understand completely. New swing arm - yes. New front end - yes. Upgraded brakes - yes. Replace fasteners as you go or as they break - no reason not to.

The KTM from India may not make it. Those who ride the CB-1 complain about lack of torque (4 tiny cylinders), but it is in keeping with the increase in HP and weight with respect to the EX-250R and EX-300R. But 1989 vintage.

Quality of the EX-500 and EX-650R seems not to be significantly better. Rats! What's a spoiled inmate supposed to do?

I'm ready to give up. I just can't bring myself to try to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Time to either 1) put a first gen FZ-1 fairing on a Street Triple R or 2) put a Street Triple R rear subframe on a Daytona 675R and mod the upper fairing to take a 2" lift with convertibars.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:43 PM   #193
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
I understand completely. New swing arm - yes. New front end - yes. Upgraded brakes - yes. Replace fasteners as you go or as they break - no reason not to.

The KTM from India may not make it. Those who ride the CB-1 complain about lack of torque (4 tiny cylinders), but it is in keeping with the increase in HP and weight with respect to the EX-250R and EX-300R. But 1989 vintage.

Quality of the EX-500 and EX-650R seems not to be significantly better. Rats! What's a spoiled inmate supposed to do?

I'm ready to give up. I just can't bring myself to try to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Time to either 1) put a first gen FZ-1 fairing on a Street Triple R or 2) put a Street Triple R rear subframe on a Daytona 675R and mod the upper fairing to take a 2" lift with convertibars.
I see you ride a Hawk. As do I. The quality of the fasteners, frame, swing arm, paint, headlight struts, etc, are so superior that when I had a Ninja 650, it looked like junk. Period. Oh, the engineering was fine, it rode fine, but damn, I like quality.

I am on my third Hawk. I did upgrade the forks, and will probably get a Penske shock, but other than that, whats not to love?

Yeah, new bike lust, thats is. I have to take a closer look at what's out there. d

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
available in Kindle format here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #194
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Grypon, I was ready to settle for a 2012 250 Ninja and do everything including flatslides and full exhaust to build what I wanted. It ain't easy when everyone that even thinks about small displacement holds cost above just about everything else. I'm into this over $6k now with parts, tires, etc. Yeah, I coulda bought a used 600 that is faster and cheaper but it isn't what I want.

Hopefully the 390 is the turning point and hi-po small displacement bikes with high quality components are next. Till then I'll do the best I can with this. The 300 engine is worth keeping, it's just the rest of it thats junk!

Seriously, it works well and I'm thinking I can only make it better. New HH brake pads are ordered and I fought off the BIN button for a Tokico 4 piston right side caliper on ebay for $23 shipped. I may regret that but another will be along anyway. There are no parts shortages for good components anyway.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:24 AM   #195
docwells7
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
Personally, I think it's a stupid idea. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 250, and it has been successful for three decades.

Now that Kawasaki is facing a valid threat in the 250 class, they do what? Take the easy way out and bump the displacement 50cc. Will it be quicker? Yeah of course, but it will also be more expensive, and most depressingly, NOT A 250 ANYMORE! Why is the answer always bumping the displacement? I fear this is a big clumsy step down a very slippery slope that has already ruined countless other machines (VFR anyone?)

Pretty soon the smallest bike anyone will be able to buy in the US is a 1000...

Everyone complains that the 250 would be perfect if it had "just a little more power" but it's a 250 for cryin' out loud. it's not supposed to be super fast.
Preach it brother...couldn't agree more. i
IBA#25276
Airhead#9654
docwells7 is offline   Reply With Quote